PDA

View Full Version : Changing squadron (markings) during campaign

Tobus75
02-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering: is it possible to switch squadrons during a campaign? I know the game does not have the feature, but I can imagine somewhere in an ini or txt file about my pilot something is said about what squadron he is currently flying in. Does anyone know where?

Tobus75
02-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering: is it possible to switch squadrons during a campaign? I know the game does not have the feature, but I can imagine somewhere in an ini or txt file about my pilot something is said about what squadron he is currently flying in. Does anyone know where?

mortoma
02-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Well, I have always been good about figuring this type of stuff out. If it can be done I'll find a way. I will get back with you on this.......

Tobus75
02-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks in advance.

I found only 2 mentionings of squadrons in the savedirectory of the campaign, in conf.dat and status.dat. Changing them to different squadron did not help though.

mortoma
02-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Well, it's also mentioned in the conf**.ini file
in the DGEN folder. Where ** is the country of your current/last flown campaign. If your are currently flying a German campaign, then the ** would be DE. It always contains data for the campaign you last flew for whatever country.
You should change it there, the two other files you mentioned and then the latest .mis file that Dgen generated in the same campaign folder.
So you have four files in two different folders to try. I'd suggest starting a new campaign solely for doing this experiment. That way you won't have a chance to mess up your
favortite campaign. I did not try it as I have no time now. But this is all I can suggest for now. Should work I'd think though........

[This message was edited by mortoma on Fri February 27 2004 at 04:32 PM.]

Tobus75
02-28-2004, 10:33 AM
I tried editing all 4 files. After editing the last .mis in the campaigndir, the game hangs after clicking fly/roster/arm.

I have tried to edit the .mis so that ALL mentions of the old squadron are changed to the new, but this also doesn't help. It seems there is another squadron-related setting somewhere in the campaign-dir, maybe in code?
(eg. 34 means I/JG54 for instance?)

mortoma
02-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Well there are also DB files in the Dgen folder for each campaign, such as "Crimea41.DB". Find out if the squadron you want to fly is even in that particular campaign. There is a long line of available squadrons in those DB files. If the one you want to fly is not in that campaign, it won't work. Also check your spelling and use of caps versus small letters, this is critical. Also make sure you use the underscores if they are there.
If this doesn't help then I'd say that the squadron is locked into the code once you start a campaign and therefore is not changeable no matter what you do.

mortoma
02-28-2004, 11:20 AM
There is a "campaigns.ini" file for each user name you fly campaigns under in the USERS folder. This file is encrypted and looks like gibberish if you open it. If the squadron info is locked in that file, I'd say we are screwed and can't change squadrons after the campaign is initiated.

Tobus75
02-29-2004, 02:16 AM
Yep, I think we're screwed. I have tried all different kinds of things, not changing any in campaign.ini. All tries end with a hanging IL-2. I have let loose a hex-editor on the campaign.ini of a new player, but it's all jibberish, not one thing I can find that can tell me the campaign is linked to which squadron. It looks grim, but will keep searching.