PDA

View Full Version : Kotaku article sheds more light on the customization.

Fatal-Feit
07-01-2015, 05:21 PM
SOURCE
(http://tay.kinja.com/for-honor-is-ubisofts-most-interesting-game-in-years-1714545727?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow)
''In the E3 build, I could only play as a Knight. The other two factions, Samurais and Vikings weren’t available. Upon starting the demo, I was able to customize my Knight. I could choose from a range of armor options, though I couldn’t (or at least didn’t have time to) discern their utility beyond cosmetics. I also had the option of selecting a female knight, which has me excited. The idea of being a badass chick like Brienne of Tarth is awesome. Every warrior comes with a unique weapon, though I didn’t get to try any beyond the one I used.''

I don't have time to give my opinion right now, but please share your thoughts on it, guys.

naphack
07-01-2015, 05:36 PM
So they go with the lazy route and have gender as a customization choice...
Meh, not like it matters, but I feel like it's wasted potential.

supabeatsbat
07-01-2015, 06:08 PM

I don't know how it is lazy exactly.
Considering we WILL have unique characters as we advance through the campaign, and some of them will be chicks I bet.

RADTrooper
07-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Answers some of the questions going through my mind.

I THULSA DOOM I
07-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Honest question: Why do so many men want to play as women?

Dienekes12
07-02-2015, 07:38 PM

If you have to stare at someone's backside all game, the option to have it be a nice one is appreciated.

RADTrooper
07-02-2015, 08:05 PM

Because I'm always a guy. Sometimes, I like to try something new. Like being a Knight who swings a sword and kills Samurai and Vikings.

I THULSA DOOM I
07-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Because I'm always a guy. Sometimes, I like to try something new. Like being a Knight who swings a sword and kills Samurai and Vikings.

Respectfully, I still don't get it. Further, how many female commandos, knights or other type of warlord have ever existed? Not many. It kills the immersion for me.

I THULSA DOOM I
07-02-2015, 08:23 PM
If you have to stare at someone's backside all game, the option to have it be a nice one is appreciated.

Ehh I'd much rather just look at a real woman. I don't get off on games.

Dienekes12
07-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Respectfully, I still don't get it. Further, how many female commandos, knights or other type of warlord have ever existed? Not many. It kills the immersion for me.

Actually, we have records of entirely female knight orders during the Crusades. Not particularly popular or large ones, but they existed. The vikings were well known for having shield maiden's fight with them and the Japanese had the ever popular Onna-bugeisha.

It's one of those 'reality is unrealistic' moments. Despite what we think about the olden times, women were repressed, but they found themselves on the battlefield as well at times. Besides, it's always nice to have the option for girls who want to play these games to get a hero that they can identify with more.

hatchery
07-02-2015, 08:52 PM
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/featured-article/2013/05/we-have-always-fought-challenging-the-women-cattle-and-slaves-narrative-by-kameron-hurley/

I like having options. I definitely do get really bored of playing the same archetype over and over again.
But honestly I don't always want to play as a woman, but I'm excited by games that let me because it means that more of my friends will want to play.

Doctrinaire
07-03-2015, 05:29 PM
I will play as a man. women are weak. :rolleyes:

Beas7ie
07-03-2015, 11:44 PM

Most guys are like to stare at girl's asses all day.

I'm a guy and prefer to play as guys for the immersion. When I play a game especially with a customizable character I like to imagine that I am that character and it's not just his story, but MY story that I'm experiencing.

Kimarous
07-04-2015, 06:24 AM
Why the heck is that "lazy"?

Near as I can tell, the ONLY thing that defines a class is the weapon / fighting style. THAT'S IT. The helmet, the armor pattern, the heraldry, even the gender (which, if everyone is wearing armor with face-obscuring helmets, only means "body shape and grunt pitch")... these all seem to be mere cosmetic features. And you know what? I'm happy if that's the case! I know some people like to go on and on about how stats and blah-di-blah "add depth" to the experience or whatever, but more often than not, I find that these systems ultimately boil down to "I can't look the way I want because of statistical inferiority."

This isn't a loot-nabbing dungeon crawler, it's a dueling game entirely dependant on player skill. So why NOT have visual elements simply be cosmetic? Look, I have no issue if some options are locked out unless certain feats are performed (like "to get this golden helmet, reach the '1000 Enemies Slain' milestone" stuff), but please... don't have customization affect gameplay...

chrisdtv
07-07-2015, 07:41 AM

How dont you get it would you rather hang up a poster of a guy or girl in your room, if you have the option to look at something all day why not pick the more visuallly appealing one, now I feel ya tho some guys want to feel the immersion as if they were playing as themselves but i dont care about that so id rather pick the more visually appealing option

blackeye121
07-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Why the heck is that "lazy"?

Near as I can tell, the ONLY thing that defines a class is the weapon / fighting style. THAT'S IT. The helmet, the armor pattern, the heraldry, even the gender (which, if everyone is wearing armor with face-obscuring helmets, only means "body shape and grunt pitch")... these all seem to be mere cosmetic features. And you know what? I'm happy if that's the case! I know some people like to go on and on about how stats and blah-di-blah "add depth" to the experience or whatever, but more often than not, I find that these systems ultimately boil down to "I can't look the way I want because of statistical inferiority."

This isn't a loot-nabbing dungeon crawler, it's a dueling game entirely dependant on player skill. So why NOT have visual elements simply be cosmetic? Look, I have no issue if some options are locked out unless certain feats are performed (like "to get this golden helmet, reach the '1000 Enemies Slain' milestone" stuff), but please... don't have customization affect gameplay...

YEA!! TOTALLY AGREE!
Look at M&B Warband !
If it's about player skill it's also fun! You don't need great like skill-trees or stuff. that's for singleplayer!

TrueSkiil 7
07-08-2015, 03:27 PM
That's historically inaccurate. Shield maidens were mentioned in the vikings saga's aka their mythos or mythology, no factual evidence of shield maidens has been discovered. Onna were real but they were not warriors, they defended the homestead much like viking women would have when their men were on leave or like Mongolian women who had to know the horse and bow. I've never heard of one instance of female knights, which is utterly fantastical let alone a female knightly order, their was joan of the arc but she never wielded a blade she was more of a morality icon and tactician.

Serdones
07-08-2015, 06:15 PM

I thought someone said there would be female heroes too.

the_don7684
07-08-2015, 06:23 PM
This game has a lot of potential and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope that the level of customization is good enough to be interesting and worth the time but not to much and become cumbersome.

Dienekes12
07-09-2015, 02:17 AM
That's historically inaccurate. Shield maidens were mentioned in the vikings saga's aka their mythos or mythology, no factual evidence of shield maidens has been discovered. Onna were real but they were not warriors, they defended the homestead much like viking women would have when their men were on leave or like Mongolian women who had to know the horse and bow. I've never heard of one instance of female knights, which is utterly fantastical let alone a female knightly order, their was joan of the arc but she never wielded a blade she was more of a morality icon and tactician.

The vikings didn't write stuff down, their myths and sagas are one of the only things we have to go on about their culture. The other is grave burials, where we have found women buried with weapons. Whether this was ceremonial or not is up for debate.

Not gonna lie, my knowledge of the Onna is not up to par with the others.

As to the knightly orders, they did in fact exist. There was The Order of the Hatchet in the 12th century (didn't last very long though), then there was the Order of the Glorious Saint Mary which was made in the 13th century and seems to have lasted until it was formally suppressed in the 16th century, it also has records of giving women military honors.

So yes, women knights were a thing. Not popular, by any stretch of the imagination, but they did exist.

Kimarous
07-09-2015, 03:44 AM
That's historically inaccurate.
A point that becomes moot when we have samurai fighting vikings in a fantasy world.

rafoca
07-10-2015, 03:10 AM
Amazons existed! I remember watching History Channel or Discovery Channel several years ago and they talked about an excavation that led to lots of women corpses with armors and weapons at their side. I bet if you google it or look for it on YouTube you can find it =)

Viking Goblin
07-10-2015, 12:03 PM

For me its fantasy purposes, I have accepted, but am dissatisfied with being male, I would rather be female, in games I like to play as women because I feel it personally represents me better and I would rather be a female in any given scenario. And before anyone makes assumptions, I am not transgender, nor do I identify as such, I am straight (Interested in women) I would simply prefer to be a different gender.

Havemercy87
07-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Even anonymously that took guts to say openly. I commend thee for your bravery and would gladly stand and fight beside you.

If you weren't a Viking that is! Bwahaha

premiumart
08-02-2015, 12:44 PM
When i play games that allow to create a char (except MMOs where i play the gender i am) i like playing female chars cause nobody thinks of a woman when he thinks of a "Hero" just like in this
post. Everyone is like " They werent on the battlefield, they are too weak etc."

I mean on the field of battle if a woman would pick up arms, she would be able to fight. Im all for it.

Drunken Hoplite
08-03-2015, 06:57 AM
The vikings didn't write stuff down, their myths and sagas are one of the only things we have to go on about their culture. The other is grave burials, where we have found women buried with weapons. Whether this was ceremonial or not is up for debate.

Not gonna lie, my knowledge of the Onna is not up to par with the others.

As to the knightly orders, they did in fact exist. There was The Order of the Hatchet in the 12th century (didn't last very long though), then there was the Order of the Glorious Saint Mary which was made in the 13th century and seems to have lasted until it was formally suppressed in the 16th century, it also has records of giving women military honors.

So yes, women knights were a thing. Not popular, by any stretch of the imagination, but they did exist.

Bad examples. The first group was made up of women who simply defended themselves and were rewarded with a title, a moral thing.
The 2nd group I don't think ever acted as actual knights. They were more "knights" in title only.

Here's how it is: Women, while having roles on the battlefield, have rarely fit the warrior title except for very few examples. biologically men are more fit for warfare and culturally the male gender has always been the front line.

That's not to say I don't want players to have the choice of gender. I'm all for given players that option, but I would hate for them to apply the same gender selection to the rest of the warriors in game. Its all about immersion. Seeing half my ai line of soldiers being made up of women would have me shaking my head in frustration. It would absolutely destroy the vibe. Im sure that wont happen though. I look forward to cutting down Xena the warrior princes with my great big two hander.

Dead1y-Derri
08-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Bad examples. The first group was made up of women who simply defended themselves and were rewarded with a title, a moral thing.
The 2nd group I don't think ever acted as actual knights. They were more "knights" in title only.

Here's how it is: Women, while having roles on the battlefield, have rarely fit the warrior title except for very few examples. biologically men are more fit for warfare and culturally the male gender has always been the front line.

That's not to say I don't want players to have the choice of gender. I'm all for given players that option, but I would hate for them to apply the same gender selection to the rest of the warriors in game. Its all about immersion. Seeing half my ai line of soldiers being made up of women would have me shaking my head in frustration. It would absolutely destroy the vibe. Im sure that wont happen though. I look forward to cutting down Xena the warrior princes with my great big two hander.

Personally for me it would not ruin my immersion to see women on the battlefield whether I see one women or one hundred. I think this game is trying to get combat and 'feel' right in terms of realism but obviously history and otherwise is kind of being thrown out the window because Knights, Samurai and Vikings never existed in the same space.

And to be perfectly if one detail such as seeing women on the battlefield in semi large numbers will offend your immersion then maybe For Honor isn't your type of game and you should look at a more unique, historically accurate games to avoid causing you to shake your head in frustration.

premiumart
08-03-2015, 06:11 PM
they could have just said animations for female characters are too much work, just like in AC Unity. XD

Drunken Hoplite
08-04-2015, 12:54 AM
Personally for me it would not ruin my immersion to see women on the battlefield whether I see one women or one hundred. I think this game is trying to get combat and 'feel' right in terms of realism but obviously history and otherwise is kind of being thrown out the window because Knights, Samurai and Vikings never existed in the same space.

And to be perfectly if one detail such as seeing women on the battlefield in semi large numbers will offend your immersion then maybe For Honor isn't your type of game and you should look at a more unique, historically accurate games to avoid causing you to shake your head in frustration.

The draw of this game for most of us is the battle between Knights, Samurai, and Vikings. I'm not here for Amazons vs Geisha. if that's what you want maybe they'll make a sequel, but I'm here for the more iconic warriors of history.