PDA

View Full Version : These amps go to eleven

Mitlov47
03-05-2004, 05:04 PM
(This thread doesn't have to do with the Aces Expansion Pack specifically)

So I've been wondering. In every other flight sim, 0% throttle is no throttle, and 100% throttle is full throttle. But in FB, you can go up to 105% throttle, or even 110% throttle. 110% OF WHAT?! I'm having Spinal Tap flashbacks.

---------------------------

"I hear the roar of a big machine; Two worlds and in between.
Love lost, fire at will; Dum-dum bullets and shoot to kill.
I hear dive bombers and Empire down, Empire down..."
--Sisters of Mercy

Overwhelming odds mean nothing compared to heroism and tenacity. Fly blue and white: Finnish Brewster Model 239 and Israeli BF-109.

Mitlov47
03-05-2004, 05:04 PM
(This thread doesn't have to do with the Aces Expansion Pack specifically)

So I've been wondering. In every other flight sim, 0% throttle is no throttle, and 100% throttle is full throttle. But in FB, you can go up to 105% throttle, or even 110% throttle. 110% OF WHAT?! I'm having Spinal Tap flashbacks.

--Sisters of Mercy

Overwhelming odds mean nothing compared to heroism and tenacity. Fly blue and white: Finnish Brewster Model 239 and Israeli BF-109.

Mitlov47
03-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Nigel: "You see, most blokes will be playing at 10. You're on 10, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. WHat we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Eleven. One louder."

DiBergi: "Why don't you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number, and make that a little louder?"

Nigel: *pause* "These go to eleven."

--Sisters of Mercy

RobertNighthawk
03-05-2004, 05:27 PM
My '58 Bassman really does go to 12.

It's 2 louder.

PBNA-Flanker
03-05-2004, 05:28 PM
forgive my incorrect terminology, but most (AFAIK) of these aircraft had a 100% 'full power' marker along with a 'redzone' you could push the throttle into in case of emergency .. i believe it was called 'full war emergency power' or something like that..

pushing past 100% meant you risked overheating and damaging the engine, but it could save your life in a pinch ..

some of them (the p-39 for example, i think?) actually had a 'stopper' you had to break off or through to get into that 110% power area, so that groundcrew would know the engine had been taxed and could give the engine a better maintenance ..

RobertNighthawk
03-05-2004, 05:29 PM
I think that stopper was what they called "the gate".