PDA

View Full Version : Magneto settings



backseatgunner
06-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi folks,

This feels like a real newbie question, but what do the magneto settings do?

What advantage does choosing magneto 1, 2 or 1+2 have over each other?

Cheers,
Tony

backseatgunner
06-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi folks,

This feels like a real newbie question, but what do the magneto settings do?

What advantage does choosing magneto 1, 2 or 1+2 have over each other?

Cheers,
Tony

Taylortony
06-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Magnetos do not play any significance in the game, what a magneto is is a self generating spark supply for the engine spark plugs, this is driven off the engine.it requires no external power source so it ideal as a stand alone unit. because an aircraft if it loses ignition will fall out of the sky an aircraft engine has 2 independant magnetos both supplying a spark to an independant spark plug so each cylinder has 2 spark plugs... both are required for an optimum fuel burn so turning one off will cause a reduction in power and rpm. that is the reason you can select them so you can test the system independant, ie if you turn off a mag and the other is dead it will cut the engine... also if a plug is out on one side it will show a drop of about 100 rpm or a missfire on that side....... does that help? a missfire is often as simple as a hair of carbon causing it to earth, reducing the mixture in real life heats this up and burns it off, but as said in game it does nothing....

Dunkelgrun
06-19-2004, 01:28 PM
The only working thing that you can do with the magnetos in this sim is to turn them off. Your engine will stop so don't do it in flight!
Cheers!

http://www.uploadit.org/igmusapa/tft2.jpg
www.nightbomber.com (http://www.nightbomber.com)

Dunkelgrun aka 242Sqn_Cat

Locust_
06-19-2004, 02:07 PM
LOL

http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v61/AFJ_Locust/p38loco1sig.jpg

BennyMoore
06-19-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this, but there is a use for the function in the game. If you turn off both magnetos instead of turning off the ignition, the engine will indeed stop, but it will start very quickly and with no misstarts when you turn the magnetos back on. I often use this when landing, because I have a rather bad habit of turning my engine off on landing to increase my landing skill. Only when my energy management during landing is exceptionally bad do I need to turn the engine back on to raise the nose, but when I do, I need to be able to do this instantly. The magnetos allow me to do this. I'm not sure if that's realistic, or if it's a bug. I don't know anything about engines. Does anyone else know if it's realistic or not to be able to turn your engine back on quickly and without misstarts by turning the magnetos back on as opposed to turning the ignition on?

Of course, in real life, I do not recommend turning off your engine on landing.

Taylortony
06-19-2004, 04:30 PM
yes benny it most likely will, but in real life we always cut the engine by using the mixture................ why? well its safer that way, because any fuel in the engine is burnt before the engine stops, shutting down on the mags means you leave fuel in a hot engine with the probs that can cause and also if someone was to turn the prop over by hand without checking the mags were off there is the possibility of it firing and making sure they will never mess up again.................. sad to say it still happens, best scenario broken bones, worst your flying with angels

backseatgunner
06-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I figured it didn't really actually DO anything, but I figured someone might have found a use for them.

cheers,
Tony

lindyman
06-24-2004, 02:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BennyMoore:
I'm not sure if that's realistic, or if it's a bug. I don't know anything about engines. Does anyone else know if it's realistic or not to be able to turn your engine back on quickly and without misstarts by turning the magnetos back on as opposed to turning the ignition on?

Of course, in real life, I do not recommend turning off your engine on landing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It probably depends on the engine. Some engines flood easily, and are very difficult to start once flooded. Take the dreaded Lycoming 200HP fuel injected engines as an example. Other engines don't seem to suffer much from this at all, like the same manufacturer's 180HP carburator engine.
_
/Bjorn.

Freefalldart
06-24-2004, 08:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BennyMoore:
It probably depends on the engine. Some engines flood easily, and are very difficult to start once flooded. Take the dreaded Lycoming 200HP fuel injected engines as an example. Other engines don't seem to suffer much from this at all, like the same manufacturer's 180HP carburator engine.
_
/Bjorn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that the one in the Typhoon was one of those. I read that somewhere, written by a test pilot. Can anyone confirm?

"Cuando un loco parece totalmente sensato es hora de ponerle la camisa de fuerza"
Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849)

Chuck_Older
06-24-2004, 10:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BennyMoore:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this, but there is a use for the function in the game. If you turn off both magnetos instead of turning off the ignition, the engine will indeed stop, but it will start very quickly and with no misstarts when you turn the magnetos back on. .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

good point, maybe I should re-map those keys after all

*****************************
The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash