PDA

View Full Version : How do you want female characters to work?

naphack
06-30-2015, 05:47 AM
As we have a hero-system, where we choose between pre-defined builds, do you want to have a system, where you can freely choose your gender (a female counterpart for every male build with exactly the same stats, so to speak) or do you rather want a system, where there's designated female heroes with their own merits (like for example an exclusively female hero with a naginata)
Actually, I'm more in favor of the second system, where we have designated female heroes, who wield weapons, who were historically worn by female warriors (like the aforementioned naginata) and leave weapons where height, body weight and strength of the wielder matters a lot, like the dane axe, to male heroes.

And of course, no boob plate, but that's the topic of another thread.

HanchWaifu
06-30-2015, 06:06 AM
From what they've shown us from gameplay so far I think it'll be male and female counterparts for every class since all the Wardens and Oni were both male and female.

Fatal-Feit
06-30-2015, 03:01 PM
I hate MMORPGs with defined gender for each class and I would definitely hate it if For Honor does the same thing with its heroes. I'm not sexist, but I've always disliked the idea of being restricted to a female avatar when building what's suppose to be 'my' character. It ruins the immersion, IMO. Also, the core of the game is about finding 'our' warrior. Which faction and weapon defines 'us'. Locking the gender for each hero would goes against that philosophy.

Warphorntek
06-30-2015, 03:26 PM
I hate MMORPGs with defined gender for each class and I would definitely hate it if For Honor does the same thing with its heroes. I'm not sexist, but I've always disliked the idea of being restricted to a female avatar when building what's suppose to be 'my' character. It ruins the immersion, IMO. Also, the core of the game is about finding 'our' warrior. Which faction and weapon defines 'us'. Locking the gender for each hero would goes against that philosophy.

I am up with you best way is allow choose what you want. If there ll be more possible ways to play, there ll be more players which you can duel with.
But even if they are gona be locked ...pf i dont rly care. Do whats best to have decend player base. But personally if i could force everyone to like what i choose ... i would choose lock them for we have real heroes right ? In video was mentioned that warden have type of armor. That can mean two things :
1st - That type of armor is on this class forever.
2nd - This type of armor is in loadout which we have here.

2nd choice would mean that you can rly play with your class customization but it goes agains reality. Assasin would never gear up heavy armor and it also means that every class can be every class which is pretty annoying. It would be possible but i am not sure what crazy work it should be.

RADTrooper
06-30-2015, 03:29 PM
I'd prefer it if they allowed free gender choices for every class and faction. While I can see that it may be appealing to have a specific class locked into a certain gender for animation purposes, I too find it annoying being locked into an avatar that is a certain gender. I don't know if the developers will go so far as offer customized weapons and armor, but imagine being able to swap those but not the gender of the avatar.

I believe that the developers are going with free gender choice for every class, though the only evidence I'd have would be Ladyanne who I think to be a Warden as well.

Dead1y-Derri
06-30-2015, 04:03 PM
As long as its balanced then I don't honestly mind. As long as each character is balanced and no significant advantage is given to one gender character or the other then I'm not too bothered.

Doctrinaire
06-30-2015, 07:08 PM
How do you want female characters to work?.
well, honestly, I hope they cook, clean, do my laundry and bare me babies so i can carry on my lineage.

MisterWillow
07-01-2015, 02:05 AM

I agree to a point.

I also dislike the idea of gender-locked classes, but it was discussed here earlier what is meant by 'Heroes' and was speculated that it means that there would be pre-defined historical individuals who are equipped with certain gear. Say, you have Joan of Arc armed with a sword and shield and feats specific to her, so the characters you select would be closer to MOBA-type heroes. If it's a case like that, then it can't be helped.

If, on the other hand, you are simply selecting a class with specific equipment and feats, then there's absolutely no reason to not have the choice between male and female.

Beas7ie
07-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Open selection for both genders and all classes.

We're supposed to be making "our" heroes based on what OUR personal preferences. It would be self defeating to lock certain weapons and armor to the genders.

For example in the trailer a female Oni was using the naginata, and yes in real life women of that time period did commonly use the naginata in battle and as home defense when their husbands were gone, but that doesn't mean men never didn't use them either. One of Japans greatest legendary figures Benkai was a monk who's main weapon was a naginata and he was a total badass.

If these are supposed to be "our" heroes when we create them then we should be able to use any weapon and wear any armor we want. I always hated playing multiplayer games that claim to have tons of "customization" but then lock everything according to gender so then there are only about 4 or 5 different "varieties" of player characters you see in game.

Let me make my character the way I want to make him or her, and let me customize him or her the way I want. I don't want to be teamed up with 3 carbon copies of my hero and fight 4 clones on the other team.

Just give us the options.

Doctrinaire
07-04-2015, 04:53 AM
you can have all the features/functions you want, but my sammich comes first! understood? :nonchalance:

Dienekes12
07-04-2015, 11:34 PM
For multiplayer, I hope the player is free to design their avatar as they see fit. Male/female, whatever else.

For the campaign, I hope to see a bunch of fully fleshed out characters, male and female, with either a single protagonist you create to go through the game with, or jumping between pre-set characters that can be a mix of both males and females.

Willaguy2010
07-05-2015, 04:42 AM
It breaks the immersion for me if i have a female character just for the stats that hero has. Nothing against women, but I'm male and if this game wants to truly bring the warrior out in us then it should let us choose what gender we want regardless of abilities or stats.

cyanocide
07-05-2015, 06:34 AM
1) Women were rarely in combat in medieval times.
2) Women are, by and large, notieably weaker than men in upper body strength.

So, if we are going to have playable female warriors (which is fine by me) then they should be able to wear whatever armor and equipment they want. But maybe the trade off could be that they don't swing as hard (upper body strength) but can run further (greater leg endurance). Or something like that.

MajorCynik
07-05-2015, 11:22 AM
...freely choose your gender (a female counterpart for every male build with exactly the same stats, so to speak)...

Freely choose your gender but with exact same stats etc. This would be how I would want to do it. No difference if you're a woman with the exception of what weapons/class you choose.

Boob plates would definitely be in though. More likely I can tell I'm fighting a woman that way :cool: Unless the voice would give me a clue. That'd be cool too. Really though choosing to play as a female should have no different game mechanics to male counterparts. It would be unnecessary.

MisterWillow
07-05-2015, 07:49 PM
For multiplayer, I hope the player is free to design their avatar as they see fit. Male/female, whatever else.

For the campaign, I hope to see a bunch of fully fleshed out characters, male and female, with either a single protagonist you create to go through the game with, or jumping between pre-set characters that can be a mix of both males and females.

Fully support this.

naphack
07-05-2015, 07:58 PM

I could totally live with this solution.

MrJoker.
07-05-2015, 09:19 PM

I agree with it.

blackeye121
07-06-2015, 03:29 PM
I think it would be much more realistic if you would allow choice of gender within classes, but restrict certain types of weapns and armors to either male or female. Just for the extra bit of historical exactness :D

Dienekes12
07-06-2015, 04:53 PM
I think it would be much more realistic if you would allow choice of gender within classes, but restrict certain types of weapns and armors to either male or female. Just for the extra bit of historical exactness :D

Considering I regularly spar with a woman who weilds a greatsword I really think this is unnecessary and limiting of character customization.

Yes, on average, women are weaker than men. But there are women who are stronger than me, there are women who are better fighters than me. There are women who can move just fine in full plate armor, and you do not need to be a bodybuilder to wield a zweihander, they only weighed about 5-7 lbs.

I'm trying to think what could possibly be historically exact about limiting weapons. We have art of women weilding the naginata, the katana, and the wakizashi, we have art of them wearing o-yoroi. We have legends of shieldmaidens fighting with spear and axe. We have records of women knights in armor and lances, and I have experience with a woman weilding a greatsword.

The only weapon seen in the trailers and art that I have not seen used by a women in art, or have read records about is a two-handed Dane axe, and I don't see the point of limiting them from using 1 weapon in the game.

WYRDB0Y
07-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Personally I'm against restrictions, it's a game let everybody play what he/she wants. And as some people said before, weapons are not gender dependent IRL.

blackeye121
07-07-2015, 06:15 AM
Yea, I think you're right. Rethinking it I must agree with Dienekes12 and CheezaOne.

Fatal-Feit
07-07-2015, 06:39 AM

^ /) +1

I'm down for this.

premiumart
07-14-2015, 03:36 PM
Considering I regularly spar with a woman who weilds a greatsword I really think this is unnecessary and limiting of character customization.

Yes, on average, women are weaker than men. But there are women who are stronger than me, there are women who are better fighters than me. There are women who can move just fine in full plate armor, and you do not need to be a bodybuilder to wield a zweihander, they only weighed about 5-7 lbs.

I'm trying to think what could possibly be historically exact about limiting weapons. We have art of women weilding the naginata, the katana, and the wakizashi, we have art of them wearing o-yoroi. We have legends of shieldmaidens fighting with spear and axe. We have records of women knights in armor and lances, and I have experience with a woman weilding a greatsword.

The only weapon seen in the trailers and art that I have not seen used by a women in art, or have read records about is a two-handed Dane axe, and I don't see the point of limiting them from using 1 weapon in the game.

i was looking for a post like this. All this men are considerably stronger then women thing is kinda ********, i mean men dont share strength, they too have different body shapes and so on also a womens strenght is enough to srsly f*** someone up i guess.

Back to the topic. What we know so far is: There are female characters, there (probably) is cosmetic customization, we dont know to which extend the customization is implemented tough, could just be changing colors and symbols on armor, or different armor styles.

And it seems that female characters are pretty much equal to men in combat considering that they too weild two handed swords.

Fatal-Feit
07-19-2015, 11:21 PM
For those of you still wondering, our concerns were answered in a recent podcast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8plBv7YX4) I did with some of the pre-alpha players.

Basically, gender is part of the cosmetic customization. Heroes are not restricted to gender. And according to SixKeys, female characters are not oversexualized. They look appropriate. Like a real woman in armor.

CptSkyBear
07-21-2015, 03:52 PM
For those of you still wondering, our concerns were answered in a recent podcast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8plBv7YX4) I did with some of the pre-alpha players.

Basically, gender is part of the cosmetic customization. Heroes are not restricted to gender. And according to SixKeys, female characters are not oversexualized. They look appropriate. Like a real woman in armor.

Thanks for updating and providing that podcast!

To add to this, in the world premiere trailer here: https://youtu.be/FSHXXks53YY around 2:20 you get a good view of all the characters and they do include both genders in this scene.

Deadshot.
07-23-2015, 06:40 PM
What Fatal posted is what I was going to say.
I'm pretty sure the male/female choice is going to be aesthetics only.
Yes, we're going for a lot of historical stuff in this game - but as the CD even said, these three factions never fought each other. They were just the best bad-asses of their time.
My wife and I will be playing this, and I can tell you that she prefers to play as a female - not for the historical accuracy, but because it helps her get more into the game if she feels she can relate to her character.

R6:Vegas was a great example of those aesthetic customizations. Look the way you want, but it doesn't mess with your load-out.

Regardless, it will be nice to have the option of choosing gender...though I'm certain that many men will choose to be a woman (with varying reasons ;) )

Mlacis
07-25-2015, 08:38 PM
What Fatal posted is what I was going to say.
I'm pretty sure the male/female choice is going to be aesthetics only.
Yes, we're going for a lot of historical stuff in this game - but as the CD even said, these three factions never fought each other. They were just the best bad-asses of their time.
My wife and I will be playing this, and I can tell you that she prefers to play as a female - not for the historical accuracy, but because it helps her get more into the game if she feels she can relate to her character.

R6:Vegas was a great example of those aesthetic customizations. Look the way you want, but it doesn't mess with your load-out.

Regardless, it will be nice to have the option of choosing gender...though I'm certain that many men will choose to be a woman (with varying reasons ;) )

You are wrong. Many Asian female warriors was fighting in battles. How about Ng Mui budist nun who teaching Yim Wing Chun a Chinese legendary kung fu Win-Chun founder. And bay the way females is better then mans in two sword fight. Females has a better reaction and co-ordination using two swords. And some historical info http://listverse.com/2008/03/17/top-10-badass-female-warriors/ . I didn't think like females warriors is only a decoration. They are deadly and skilled fighters like males. And its be cool if we has they in game. Especially Oni fraction. And here real swordsmen with 2 swords https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGeH_UVUh0E .

Deadshot.
07-26-2015, 12:09 AM
Not sure what your reply has to do with my comment at all.
We're talking about how the game developers are putting women in the game.
Not whether they SHOULD be.

Cheers

Thunderborn
07-29-2015, 04:36 AM
As we have a hero-system, where we choose between pre-defined builds, do you want to have a system, where you can freely choose your gender (a female counterpart for every male build with exactly the same stats, so to speak) or do you rather want a system, where there's designated female heroes with their own merits (like for example an exclusively female hero with a naginata)
Actually, I'm more in favor of the second system, where we have designated female heroes, who wield weapons, who were historically worn by female warriors (like the aforementioned naginata) and leave weapons where height, body weight and strength of the wielder matters a lot, like the dane axe, to male heroes.

Well they can START to work by providing me with a glass of wine when I call for it after a hard day of battle and perhaps a quick meal..............Umm or did I get the wrong idea for what you meant.

Novan_Leon
08-01-2015, 06:56 PM

Men are generally MUCH stronger than women. A very fit and muscular woman may be stronger than a guy that never works out, but even an average guy will generally be stronger than an athletic woman. Women just don't have the testosterone required to build body mass like men have.

Venus and Serena Williams, two of the most physically fit and athletic women in all of sports and ranked #1 in Women's Tennis at the time were beaten easily by a guy ranked 203rd, and he said he was taking it easy on them. Other "Battle of the Sexes" matches in Tennis ended with similar results, even with some kind of handicap usually being given to the female players. The US Women's Olympic Hockey loses matches against boy's high school hockey teams, and women's soccer teams occasionally square off against boy's teams for practice and frequently lose.

There are always exceptions and historically there have been women combatants that were quite capable, but these are few and far between. The female combatants that did exist made full advantage of weapons that didn't rely on brute strength or dexterity.

Personally, I would like to see a male and female option for each character class. It should be purely aesthetic and have no other effects on gameplay. We're not exactly looking for realism in every aspect of the game, just enough to keep the immersion and give people options for customization.