PDA

View Full Version : 2 intresting fact i read last night...

fulanito_chile
03-25-2004, 11:08 AM
i was reading an aircraft encyclopedia and found these two nice facts...

1.The number of Il-2 (all veriants) built reached 36,183. More than any other aircraft in history.

2.The I-16 was the first ever mono plane to have retractable landing gear.

any more intresting facts?

"The Chilean Airforce" (FACH) The 4th oldest in the World...
(troll??? i don't think so.. i just ask questions related to Il-2 & WW2, its the people who answer them with sillyness that should be Frowned apon)

fulanito_chile
03-25-2004, 11:08 AM
i was reading an aircraft encyclopedia and found these two nice facts...

1.The number of Il-2 (all veriants) built reached 36,183. More than any other aircraft in history.

2.The I-16 was the first ever mono plane to have retractable landing gear.

any more intresting facts?

(troll??? i don't think so.. i just ask questions related to Il-2 & WW2, its the people who answer them with sillyness that should be Frowned apon)

Dmitri9mm
03-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Well this isn't really new to me, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Contrary to general belief the USSR had a very efficient production, and definately some of the best planes in WWII (do I need to mention that the Free French Air Force chose the YAK 3 of all available planes because it was the best?)
In many aspects the USSR was on the forefront in the arms race, their MIG 15 went into production allmost 5 years before the Sabre in US of A.
It's a mystery to me that so many years after the end of the Cold War, we still need to keep the myths about Soviet inefficiency alive. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/51.gif

fulanito_chile
03-25-2004, 12:11 PM
i'm with you dmitri!!! SPASIVA

Blubble
03-25-2004, 12:29 PM
their MIG 15 went into production allmost 5 years before the Sabre

Absolutely right... I saw a show on D-Wings last night that mentioned the problems the US had in the Korean War before they got the Sabre into action.