PDA

View Full Version : Spartans

j0kerkevin2011
06-29-2015, 05:17 AM
Can you guys add Spartans as a class? I believe Spartans are another huge warrior that everyone loves and thinks is awesome. They are one of the most elite if not the most elite ancient warriors. I think they would fit in. Also I think they would be the only class with a shield if I'm not mistaken.

TaizerBeam
06-29-2015, 05:30 AM
Can you guys add Spartans as a class? I believe Spartans are another huge warrior that everyone loves and thinks is awesome. They are one of the most elite if not the most elite ancient warriors. I think they would fit in. Also I think they would be the only class with a shield if I'm not mistaken.

They may add more factions later but for now I believe they are just trying to fine tune what they have and for launch 3 factions are plenty. Maybe in the future we'll see more! As for "classes", each faction has a number of heroes that play differently with different weapons. My guess is for the knights and possibly vikings there will be a hero that uses a shield. I'd put my money on that we may get more heroes (classes) for each faction before a new faction.

naphack
06-29-2015, 07:38 AM
The problem is that it's just no fair fight.
Ten knights could kill any number of Spartans because, well, bronze weapons against steel just isn't such a good match. And minimalistic bronze armor doesn't hold up all that well when compared to a full body steel armor.
There's simply no comparison. Even Samurai against Knights and Vikings against Knights is already a stretch, but Spartans will be overdoing it.
I mean, why don't we feature the Zulu? Exactly the same reason, it just doesn't make sense for their weapons to be any match against full steel plate.

MrJoker.
06-29-2015, 08:40 AM
I think this is good idea. The more classes the better. They can add soo much classes in future. This game will have so many possibilities that I predict her a beautiful future.

Knight_Helios
06-29-2015, 12:14 PM
On the subject, It would be pretty cool to have musket carrying soldiers. Not an idea worth making, but it would make for a very different play-style. Sure they have range, but one swift slash from nave to chops would stop them.
An army of knights charging at a broadside of muskets makes for a nice picture too.

Eiddard
06-29-2015, 12:31 PM
I think this is good idea. The more classes the better. They can add soo much classes in future. This game will have so many possibilities that I predict her a beautiful future.

No, more classes doesn't mean better game, and we are talking about Factions here, I rather have 3 factions with 4-6 classes each, but well defined classes which every one of them are unique on their own way, than having 8 factions with 8 classes each that are just the same but with different art.

And like some other people said, Spartans doesn't make sense in the game style.

MrJoker.
06-29-2015, 01:39 PM
Why? They were great warriors .

THE_JOKE_KING33
06-29-2015, 02:11 PM
An army of knights charging at a broadside of muskets makes for a nice picture too.

It's times like this I wish I had drawing skills. =/

Doctrinaire
06-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Spartan's don't fit the story line...the lore that we know so far.

of course, a faction from the field could always come in and try to get their piece, but they'd need to be fairly current since Vikings, Knights and Samurai all existed at the same time.

now, for the fun of it, they could possibly introduce an Arena mode where other warrior nations can be played that have nothing to do with the story line, but I would ask that be as unimportant as developing the game play that follows the story line and expands on it!

Eiddard
06-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Why? They were great warriors .

They might been great warrior for their age, but Knights, Samurais or Vikings where tecnologicaly more developed, you cant compare steel vs bronze.

And although Knights never fought against Samurais, there were Samurais when there were Knights, or Vikings. But Spartans are from 1000 years before those others.

There are other factions that would make more sense for the game, such as Mongols, or some Asian warriors. Even though mongols where known for large battle scales, it wouldn't be that bad to add them.

But as I said, I rather have 3 factions with 5 classes that each one are unique in his own way, that have copypasta classes all across 7-8 factions.

MrJoker.
06-29-2015, 03:00 PM
Yes you are right. This does not change the fact that this is just a game. We are here only speculate and game developers can do what they want. I understand perfectly that , in fact, the Spartans did not have that chance with knights or samurai , but as we know the samurai and the knights also never on the battlefield have not met what makes this game unique and introduction to her spartan would also be possible. But we do not have influence, but only creator.

Dienekes12
06-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Ten knights could kill any number of Spartans because, well, bronze weapons against steel just isn't such a good match. And minimalistic bronze armor doesn't hold up all that well when compared to a full body steel armor.
There's simply no comparison. Even Samurai against Knights and Vikings against Knights is already a stretch, but Spartans will be overdoing it.
I mean, why don't we feature the Zulu? Exactly the same reason, it just doesn't make sense for their weapons to be any match against full steel plate.

Let's be clear here, a guy cutting with a katana or throwing a shuriken should do absolutely jack all to someone wearing plate. The vikings are using weapons and armor that are 400-600 years out of date when compared to the weapons and armor of the samurai and knights they'd be facing. A viking would not have a chance against a knight either, as their armor was simply so far below the quality of the knights they would be facing. The game isn't trying to be realistic, it's basing its fighting system off of real combat, but it's not letting that restrict the balance of the game.

I don't see the problem with (later, in other games) adding in some ancient armies into the mix. But, not now, and only if they can get the concept to work.

Fatal-Feit
07-01-2015, 02:17 AM
No, more classes doesn't mean better game, and we are talking about Factions here, I rather have 3 factions with 4-6 classes each, but well defined classes which every one of them are unique on their own way, than having 8 factions with 8 classes each that are just the same but with different art.

This. I like the idea of including more factions in the future, even as paid DLCs, but right now I prefer they focus on perfecting the 3 factions.

speedy2472006
07-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Samurai swords could cut straight through a viking's shield (which was actually made of leather, or wood) and yet they will be included so I dont see why spartans can't be added later on.

WYRDB0Y
07-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Samurai swords could cut straight through a viking's shield (which was actually made of leather, or wood) and yet they will be included so I dont see why spartans can't be added later on.

LOL.. no they couldn't, that's just silly.

Vikings can be shoehorned in because there's not that much of a difference in time period, but the spartans lived 1000 years earlier.

speedy2472006
07-02-2015, 09:51 PM
how is it silly? its been proven even so its still just a game after all im sure it will be fun

Dienekes12
07-02-2015, 10:02 PM
how is it silly? its been proven even so its still just a game after all im sure it will be fun

It really, really hasn't. Viking shields are way more durable than people expect, especially when added leather coverings. A katana cutting through wood is possible, but not quickly and it would be bad for the blade. More hacking really. That's why people used shields for, to prevent that kind of thing from happening, and they were pretty good at it.

That's not to say that vikings aren't at a bit of a technological inferiority in this game, because they are. But it has more to do with their armor being crap, and being largely unable to make bigger metal pieces compared to what the knights are wearing than any weapon being able to magically go through their shields. Viking shields are good.

WYRDB0Y
07-02-2015, 10:04 PM
It's silly because a katana doesn't cut through a shield like that.
Here is how it performs against (mind you!) plywood:
https://youtu.be/pcfIZA4nmtc?t=1m11s

MrJoker.
07-02-2015, 10:24 PM
First, they have to spend a finished product ( although the tests) , then we can speculate about the new features / classes / options in the game. Now this is only an unnecessary quarrel between those who are for and who against.

speedy2472006
07-03-2015, 06:32 PM
It's silly because a katana doesn't cut through a shield like that.
Here is how it performs against (mind you!) plywood:
https://youtu.be/pcfIZA4nmtc?t=1m11s

i stand corrected sir well done

speedy2472006
07-03-2015, 06:35 PM
I see that now.. the test i saw before all this was on a wooden shield without the leather which is why i made my case. Not trying to argue w/ anyone. This game will be epic for sure

Beas7ie
07-03-2015, 11:40 PM

Spartans probably could hold up against knights, due to their fighting style. Knights were mostly on horseback and the Spartans fought in the Phalanx in which they packed in tight so that they formed a solid mass of spears and shields. Even with their superior steel versus the Spartans use of mostly bronze, your ten knights(or pretty much any warriors for that matter) trying to charge that head on would just be committing suicide.

Pretty much about the only thing that could take a phalanx head on is well a better phalanx. The Romans used the Spartans training and fighting styles to do their own reforms with their legions and using those methods conquered a decent chunk of the known world at that time. And by decent chunk I mean they made a large frekkin empire.

Now if it was one on one on foot it depends on the training and skills of the individual fighters. Sure the knight has steel and will be able to penetrate the Spartans armor, but the Spartan also has his huge *** shield which is actually his deadliest weapon.(Not the best guide but in deadliest Warrior, out of 1000 fights the Spartan got 382 kills alone with his shield against the ninja, and then against the Samurai he got 162 and won in both episodes) and for gameplay purposes it looks like the quality of everyone's weapons will be about the same in the game for balance purposes.

So Spartans could definitely not only hold their own against, knights, vikings, and samurai, but then can win.

That being said the Spartans did have a lot of flaws and are far from perfect but I would totally love to see Greek/Roman faction in the game as DLC. If done right, it would have to be a proper Greek/Roman faction and NOT just Spartans.

When people think of Greeks they just think of Spartans but Greece consisted of many city states, such as Sparta, Athens, Thebes, Corinth, Argos, Megara and many others, and Sparta got its *** kicked quite a few battles as well. The Theban army led by the Theban Sacred Bank pwned Sparta pretty hard in the Battle of Leuctra and Sparta never was able to fully recover from that defeat. Combine that with the Sparta's strict standards to actually even become a full Spartan(the majority of the army was made up of slaves and lower class citizens and the number of "pure" Spartans declined over time) eventually led to Sparta's downfall but that's a thread for another day.

TLDR

Spartans are badass and can hold their own against Knights, Samurai, and Vikings, even if they only had Bronze at the time(imagine how badass they would be with full steel armor) but they have their weaknesses and are far from perfect. If done this faction would need to be full Greek/Roman and not just Spartan.