PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the Assassins Code?

Aidiexx
06-28-2015, 11:39 PM
"Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted". How do you all view that statement or Code if you want to call it that.

I personally don't know how to take it.

If had to give an answer id say its a contradiction and in a way its a test.

EmbodyingSeven5
06-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Play the first AC and you will attain the deeper meaning of our creed young one (:

domvgt
06-29-2015, 06:43 PM
Play the first AC and you will attain the deeper meaning of our creed young one (:

Well said.

(That reminds me that I wanted to play the AC1 again. ... )

Altair1789
06-30-2015, 04:29 AM
I always thought it was a lot like existentialism. Basically, you make your own morals, only you can control yourself. Well, there's much more to existentialism, but that's the lazy explanation

I-Like-Pie45
06-30-2015, 05:12 AM
it means that you shouldn't listen to those environmentalists about predator-prey dynamics and instead support my bill to eradicate the wolf population of america

that's the true meaning of nothing is true, everything is permitted

VestigialLlama4
06-30-2015, 06:44 AM
"Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted". How do you all view that statement or Code if you want to call it that.

I personally don't know how to take it.

If had to give an answer id say its a contradiction and in a way its a test.

That's right. It's not really a code to live by or practise. Its basically a mystery and a puzzle.

The best discussion of that code comes from real-life. Friedrich Nietzsche's On the Genealogy of Morals

"When the Christian crusaders in the Orient came across that unconquered Order of Assassins, that free-spirited order par excellence, whose lowest ranks lived a life of obedience of the sort no order of monks attained, then they received by some means or other a hint about that symbol and motto, which only the highest ranks kept as their secret, "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." . . . Well now, that was spiritual freedom. With that the very belief in truth was cancelled. . . Has a European, a Christian free spirit ever wandered by mistake into this proposition and its labyrinthine consequences?"

The key word is "labyrinthine consequences" which means that it has no final interpretation. Within the games, the Creed embodies something positive and negative at the same time, it says that ultimately nothing lasts, no ideology, project, dream or good intentions really lasts, but its at the same time saying that means that man can always free himself and has an infinite capacity to change. That's kind of what the game really embodies at the best.

LoyalACFan
07-03-2015, 09:32 AM
I like the fact that it's open-ended enough for fans to discuss it, and even for each protagonist to have their own take on it (although I'm pretty sure only Altair, Ezio, and Edward actually voiced what it meant to them personally).

Namikaze_17
07-03-2015, 01:44 PM
You see, it isn't just how the Assassins themselves view the Creed, but how people and groups outside it (including the Templars) view it as well. It isn't just a beacon of an ultimate good or evil, just a concept that's interpreted in many ways whether it be for or against it.