PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Settings - What do you guys think?

Aidiexx
06-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Now I've always believed that Assassins Creed should have difficulty settings. I get the game gradually gets harder as you progress by throwing in new enemy types but I still believe having the choice of difficulty would add to replay value.

Honestly I've found a majority of the Assassin Creed games way too easy.

If not a difficulty setting then maybe allowing a new game + mode where the difficulty just shoots up right at the start. So for instance giving increased health and Damage to enemies, throwing all the enemy types you have encountered throughout, at you right at the start of new game + (I think the Arkham Games actually do this).

Then again I also think what made the Assassin creed games too easy was the counter kills (which I know that in AC unity they are pretty much non existent).

Anyway What do you guys think of being able to pick your own difficulty or would you prefer a New game + that was like the Arkham series?

dxsxhxcx
06-28-2015, 11:33 PM
IMO It's about time for difficulty settings to be introduced in AC, I don't think counter kills were the problem, they were part of it, but not the entire problem, IMO enemy's passiveness is the real problem here, the counter kills work pretty well in the Arkham games for example, where you need to hit the enemy a few times before you can finish him, something like this should've been implemented in this game years ago.

crusader_prophet
06-28-2015, 11:51 PM
I don't think the game even gets harder with progression. You get seemingly unlimited money, the equipment barely matters on what enemy you are fighting. Gameplay isn't ACs strongpoint. It is lackluster.

VestigialLlama4
06-30-2015, 07:49 PM
I am all for difficult settings but I would prefer New Game Plus on the order of Arkham City, all upgrades, tougher enemies earlier.

SixKeys
07-01-2015, 02:49 PM
The problem with difficulty settings is that they would kill the Animus/Helix framing narrative.

"Now, Initiate, tell us: would you like to relive your ancestor's memories the way he really lived them, or would you like us to make it easier for you?"

Sorrosyss
07-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Call me boring, but I really like the way it is already. The optional objectives make things a fair degree tougher, but still doable. I much prefer working on a set mission, or different things at once, rather than having a catch all difficulty.

Not to mention, can you imagine if they did have a 'nightmare' difficulty? I guarantee it would be tied to a trophy or achievement, and would be unachievable by the vast majority of the playerbase (more than likely beyond my skill level). I like to grab all the trophies etc, so that limitation would irk me no end.

dxsxhxcx
07-01-2015, 03:35 PM
The problem with difficulty settings is that they would kill the Animus/Helix framing narrative.

"Now, Initiate, tell us: would you like to relive your ancestor's memories the way he really lived them, or would you like us to make it easier for you?"

I don't think it would, it's all an emulation after all and this is enough excuse to give us the option to tweak it as we see fit, but even if it would, IMO it's a small price to pay for something that this franchise desperately needs and that could add replay value as well, also it doesn't need to be thrown at your face like you're suggesting, this option just need to be added to the configuration/options menu and voilą, everybody are happy (assuming they'll do a decent job with it of course).

if we are playing an Abstergo product (AC4/ACU/ACro), they can justify it by saying that these options were added to accomodate all kind of Helix users, if we are experiencing the ancestor's memories in real time (like we did with Desmond), they can justify the difficulty settings by saying that the harderst difficulty you play, the faster will be the absorption of the ancestor' skills and even mention the bleeding effect, by saying that this level of difficulty might cause side-effects but that they're working on something to avoid that...

SixKeys
07-01-2015, 05:02 PM
if we are playing an Abstergo product (AC4/ACU/ACro), they can justify it by saying that these options were added to accomodate all kind of Helix users, if we are experiencing the ancestor's memories in real time (like we did with Desmond), they can justify the difficulty settings by saying that the harderst difficulty you play, the faster will be the absorption of the ancestor' skills and even mention the bleeding effect, by saying that this level of difficulty might cause side-effects but that they're working on something to avoid that...

Hmm, I see what you're saying, but talking about the Bleeding Effect and possible side effects might make players think there's something extra to be unlocked if you play on hardest difficulty. If there is, it's unfair to the casual players and if there isn't, the hardcore players will be disappointed.

Maybe they could add New Game+ and make it so you can only unlock it after finishing the highest difficulty? Although it might be more trouble for the devs than it's worth, depending on how the game is received. Like, I'm pretty sure the number of people who didn't even bother finishing Unity once was higher than usual.

dxsxhxcx
07-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Hmm, I see what you're saying, but talking about the Bleeding Effect and possible side effects might make players think there's something extra to be unlocked if you play on hardest difficulty. If there is, it's unfair to the casual players and if there isn't, the hardcore players will be disappointed.

Maybe they could add New Game+ and make it so you can only unlock it after finishing the highest difficulty? Although it might be more trouble for the devs than it's worth, depending on how the game is received. Like, I'm pretty sure the number of people who didn't even bother finishing Unity once was higher than usual.

you're right about the bleeding effect, it could cause some confusion and lead to disappointment, it's really a shame that they decided to drop it though, there were so many possibilities there, I just hate how many little things that used to make the story more believable and complex such as some animus limitations like forcing us to have an specific user, among other things, were dropped because they didn't want to put more focus on the modern days.

About a NG+ mode, I'm ok with it, but I prefer to have the option to change the difficulty from the get go instead of being forced to play the entire game just to unlock a harder difficulty...

SixKeys
07-02-2015, 08:51 AM
About a NG+ mode, I'm ok with it, but I prefer to have the option to change the difficulty from the get go instead of being forced to play the entire game just to unlock a harder difficulty...

No no, I meant the game could have different difficulty modes from the start, but if you wanted New Game+, you could only unlock it after beating the game on the hardest mode. Not everyone cares about NG+ so casual players could still play through the game once on the easy difficulty, and hardcore players would be rewarded with something extra.

LoyalACFan
07-03-2015, 09:29 AM

Just present the option before you even create the save file. The same way you would do a language select screen or something. So you get it out of the way before you even start with the meta Animus thing.

Although I admit I'm just arguing for the sake of it here, I don't think difficulty settings would necessarily fix AC's balancing problems and I don't give a hoot about the Animus framing device anymore. Should have died with Desmond.

dxsxhxcx
07-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Just present the option before you even create the save file. The same way you would do a language select screen or something. So you get it out of the way before you even start with the meta Animus thing.

Although I admit I'm just arguing for the sake of it here, I don't think difficulty settings would necessarily fix AC's balancing problems and I don't give a hoot about the Animus framing device anymore. Should have died with Desmond.

Given Ubisoft's track record on "fixing" things it would probably take a few more years until they start doing something right with it, but IMO implement difficulty settings is a step into the right direction

LoyalACFan
07-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Given Ubisoft's track record on "fixing" things it would probably take a few more years until they start doing something right with it, but IMO implement difficulty settings is a step into the right direction

I don't think that's necessarily so. They could easily implement difficulty levels by just cheesing up the health bars on enemies, giving them more cheap attacks like insta-pistols, and nerfing your attack power, but that isn't good game balancing. Fundamentally, the game needs to provide some level of challenge regardless of the difficulty, so the mechanics need to be deep enough to allow skill to dictate success, not stats.

Xstantin
07-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Animus framing device anymore. Should have died with Desmond.

It kinda did. Technically they could always come up with some magical Animus explanation like Unity's accents, ancestors DNA thing no longer being necessary etc.etc.

LoyalACFan
07-08-2015, 02:31 PM
It kinda did. Technically they could always come up with some magical Animus explanation like Unity's accents, ancestors DNA thing no longer being necessary etc.etc.

But you know what I mean, the whole Animus/Helix/genetic memory thing. I agree that the quality of it died with Desmond (maybe even a game or two before), but the meta sci-fi trappings are still very much there.

Altair1789
07-09-2015, 08:48 AM
I like difficulty, but I don't think AC is the place for it. What would it do? Give the enemies more health + make them attack more frequent? That wouldn't really work imo. Maybe with ACU's combat. I think if they want this game to be hard, they should use hard games as a model. AC itself is easy mode 24/7. Anyway, aren't they focusing on stealth now? They could make hard mode -> quicker detection

The_Kiwi_
07-09-2015, 08:55 AM
AC isn't an RPG, difficulty settings don't belong

dxsxhxcx
07-09-2015, 01:42 PM
I like difficulty, but I don't think AC is the place for it. What would it do? Give the enemies more health + make them attack more frequent? That wouldn't really work imo. Maybe with ACU's combat. I think if they want this game to be hard, they should use hard games as a model. AC itself is easy mode 24/7. Anyway, aren't they focusing on stealth now? They could make hard mode -> quicker detection

No point in making the enemies detect you quicker if once they do, defeat them would be a ride in the park instead of a challenge.

LoyalACFan
07-10-2015, 10:41 AM

I think the .gif in your signature says "nope"

Sushiglutton
07-10-2015, 02:28 PM
1) Fix detection and enemy AI.
2) Make a fun combat system that has some strategic depth, variety and cool moves that you, the player, can choose to pull off.

Only after these two have been done would it make sense to add a difficulty setting. Turning up the challenge without proper gameplay is just annoying.