PDA

View Full Version : Will we get a present day protagonist?

x-Lyyr-x
06-28-2015, 08:06 PM
I know that the community is about 50/50 divided on this topic, but I would like to have a main protagonist in the present day, just like we played Desmond Miles.
I love every aspect of the AC lore, but it is hard to connect with certain parts of it if you are nothing more than a camera who never talks (i.e.: first person view of a nameless mute protagonist).

Thoughts? Where do you guys stand on this matter?

Altair1789
06-28-2015, 09:44 PM
Hopefully

I think the MD fans are the majority, if not, then the MD fans have the best connection to Ubisoft since a lot of the AC youtubers, and fanpage makers are very vocal about how they want MD to return

I-Like-Pie45
06-28-2015, 09:46 PM
what

you don't like playing with yourself as yourself in modern day

GunnerGalactico
06-28-2015, 09:48 PM
Honestly, I'm not really a huge fan of the FP floating tablet view either. I'm also hoping that third person MD would make a return.

Namikaze_17
06-28-2015, 10:01 PM
If MD does return, will everyone not complain about how it needs to "go away" this time? :rolleyes:

Must say, I feel kind of bad for Ubi in their efforts to satisfy this rather indecisive community. Must be frustrating.

But to OP, I would like for a new protagonist in the form of whatever they got.

dxsxhxcx
06-28-2015, 10:25 PM
if we get a new protagonist, I hope this character has a name, a voice, a mind of his/her own and interact with the other NPCs like Desmond did, and don't be passive like Mr. Flying Tablet that just stood there being told what to do without expressing any opinion about it.

I can swallow 1st person view as long as the requirements above are met (even thinking that 3rd person is much better for narrative purposes).

ERICATHERINE
06-29-2015, 01:14 AM
I would like an initiate protagoniste. If that would be the case, we could customize the modern day protagoniste and, so, have a tird person protagoniste. we could also be in the initiates headquarter and explore it. I'm also sure that if we control an initiates, ubisoft will think of a use for our initiates levels. ^-^

avk111
06-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Well look at things this way,

Ubisoft went with both extremes of the scale, on one end you have Third Person perspective MD protag, on another end you have almost non existant first person prespective MD protag,
Unless we have statistics, whichever the number decided it has better feedback, then thats the way its going to go.

EmptyCrustacean
06-29-2015, 12:34 PM
They ruined Desmond so as long as the new MD protagonist is a) female b) surrounded by the old cast Shaun, Rebecca etc and c) has some character development it's all right.

Sorrosyss
06-29-2015, 12:54 PM
They ruined Desmond so as long as the new MD protagonist is a) female b) surrounded by the old cast Shaun, Rebecca etc and c) has some character development it's all right.

A certain Russian fits the first two criteria... *cough* Galina (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1170519-Galina-Voronina-Our-new-modern-day-protagonist-awaits-%28Spoilers%29) *cough*

I do tend to look at several third party sites for AC, and the modern day comes up so often. From my perspective, it's easily over 75% in favour of the MD being expanded again. I think this may have been a case of the silent majority, vocal minority aspect. I suspect many were upset at the fate of Desmond, and resulted in "omg, modern day sucks!" type reactions.

Of course, Ubisoft responded. But now the new consensus is "I hate being a faceless, voiceless tablet!". :p

So the way is clear. Return to a third person protagonist, don't kill them off, and do a decent integrated story that we are involved in and is worth continuing - not some auto pilot passive observer like from AC4 onwards.

For me, the modern day has always been the core of the story. I remember all those years ago finishing the first game, desperate to find out what fate had befallen Desmond. I miss that level of interest. Hopefully Syndicate can reboot some of that magic.

ERICATHERINE
06-29-2015, 05:16 PM
A certain Russian fits the first two criteria...

I do tend to look at several third party sites for AC, and the modern day comes up so often. From my perspective, it's easily over 75% in favour of the MD being expanded again. I think this may have been a case of the silent majority, vocal minority aspect. I suspect many were upset at the fate of Desmond, and resulted in "omg, modern day sucks!" type reactions.

Of course, Ubisoft responded. But now the new consensus is "I hate being a faceless, voiceless tablet!". :p

So the way is clear. Return to a third person protagonist, don't kill them off, and do a decent integrated story that we are involved in and is worth continuing - not some auto pilot passive observer like from AC4 onwards.

For me, the modern day has always been the core of the story. I remember all those years ago finishing the first game, desperate to find out what fate had befallen Desmond. I miss that level of interest. Hopefully Syndicate can reboot some of that magic.

My idea also got the first two. If we can customize the modernday protagoniste, we could have a girl as much as a boy. Much better, it would be a choice made by the players. For the second, we could surely see Shaun and Rebecca, since William said they should lead the initiates since him and Gavin are too old. As for the third, it would be up to Ubisoft to anwer that question. ^-^

dxsxhxcx
06-29-2015, 05:50 PM
My idea also got the first two. If we can customize the modernday protagoniste, we could have a girl as much as a boy. Much better, it would be a choice made by the players. For the second, we could surely see Shaun and Rebecca, since William said they should lead the initiates since him and Gavin are too old. As for the third, it would be up to Ubisoft to anwer that question. ^-^

the problem I have with this is that we would end up having a mute protagonist because I doubt Ubisoft would record the dialogue lines for both genders, in the end it would be just like AC4 again, where we just stand there taking orders from the NPCs without question them...

EmbodyingSeven5
06-29-2015, 06:06 PM
A female MD protag please!
Interesting integrated story again!
Please GOD!

HDinHB
06-29-2015, 07:53 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/nolan-north-original-assassin-s-creed-plans-desmond-s-death-series-return

There was an article today with Nolan North, talking about the original plans for Desmond. It sounds like what I expected would happen after playing the first few games, with Desmond acquiring more skills and becoming a more important part of each game, until eventually there was just a game with Desmond taking out the Abstergo satellite. But then Ubi got bored.

While this never came to fruition, North said the original plan for the Desmond Miles character was for him to learn skills from series protagonists Ezio, Altair and Connor, eventually making him the ultimate assassin in a game staring just him. "There were so many changes at Ubisoft with different writers and Patrice Desilets left.

"Originally, that was supposed to be a series of games where by the end of them, Desmond learns all of Altair's skills through him. Then it gets to Ezio and Desmond learns all [of his skills]. Each [assassin, Desmond] would learn, and by the last couple of games, it was all Desmond going out as the finest assassin anywhere," North said.

From Desmond's knowledge of each assassin he would be able to use that and be the main protagonist, presumably in a present day Assassin's Creed game. North continued by saying he gets "goosebumps" talking about the concept because of how "cool" it was. He felt Desmond became a bit too "whiny" by the end of his tenure in the franchise.

Shahkulu101
06-29-2015, 09:18 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/nolan-north-original-assassin-s-creed-plans-desmond-s-death-series-return

There was an article today with Nolan North, talking about the original plans for Desmond. It sounds like what I expected would happen after playing the first few games, with Desmond acquiring more skills and becoming a more important part of each game, until eventually there was just a game with Desmond taking out the Abstergo satellite. But then Ubi got bored.

Very interesting. Reading further down the article, I was surprised to hear he was quite invested in the role and even more surprised by the fact he wasn't even told Desmond died (although you'd think he'd kind of pick that up).

He says the Desmond recordings in AC4 were one of the most disappointing things he'd done for the series, but I think they actually added more substance to his character than the games he starred in.

ERICATHERINE
06-29-2015, 09:28 PM
the problem I have with this is that we would end up having a mute protagonist because I doubt Ubisoft would record the dialogue lines for both genders, in the end it would be just like AC4 again, where we just stand there taking orders from the NPCs without question them...

And that's where my vision of the perfect modern day correct what would be wrong for you. In it each player could interact with each other may it be with a mic or with a choice of sentences. That choice of sentence would be how the protagoniste would talk in the story. I know that if every one talk with a mic at the same time, nobody would understand. So, for someone to talk with a person with it, they would have to be face to face and interact with eachother. Yes I said face to face. In that modern day, if our psn friends are playing while not using helix, they can interact with each other. If none of our friends are playing or are in modern day, there would be a random groupe of person. You could even do some missions with some people if they have to do it or have done it. Because there would be missions just like what Desmond did. ^-^

Farlander1991
06-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Very interesting. Reading further down the article, I was surprised to hear he was quite invested in the role and even more surprised by the fact he wasn't even told Desmond died (although you'd think he'd kind of pick that up).

He says the Desmond recordings in AC4 were one of the most disappointing things he'd done for the series, but I think they actually added more substance to his character than the games he starred in.

The quote in there is a bit out of context. He never said he was disapointed by the substance. Basically Nolan was sad Desmond was pushed more and more to the side, and ACIV to him was exposition for expositions sake because they didn't have enough time and money to do smth else.

I kinda agree with him. AC4 did better with Desmond than most of the games before, and while it rounds up the character and I think Darby did a good thing addng it in, it doesn't change the fact that overall Desmond was handled kinda poorly.

X_xWolverinEx_X
07-02-2015, 10:44 AM
no