PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Weapons?

TaizerBeam
06-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Do you think there will be ranged weapons? If so how would they balance them?
We already have seen that the Oni Samurai has shuriken though it looks like it may be more used to cause a flinch then going for a kill. Maybe some weapons will be throw-able such as axes though you would lose (or have to go pick up) the weapon after, leaving you vulnerable.

A thought crossed my mind that if there is, let's say a bow user, they would need limited ammo (maybe they can gather there arrows back from bodies and shots they missed), the shots weaker than regular blows unless maybe a head shot, and they would need a secondary melee (maybe a dagger/dirk or small axe). The melee weapon would be used in duels where it wouldn't be able to block (or the block still hurts the player somewhat and staggers heavily) so the player would have to focus on timing dodges and attacks (also weaker than normal weapons). To make up for all these weaknesses maybe they can get a flaming arrow or something to that effect.

Do you think a ranged Hero is possible or will it more likely be a throwing weapon or just a long reaching weapon?

Dienekes12
06-28-2015, 12:47 PM
To paraphrase what I wrote in a similar thread.

As of now, each class presented is melee based and infantry. Which makes sense. This is the first outing of the game, what the creators are trying to do is to really showcase their new art of battle combat system and to make these three cultures as balanced but different as they can.

However, if they plan on making this a franchise, and, if it is successful I'm fairly certain they are going to try. They cannot keep pumping out more of the same, or the game will stagnate and ultimately die. Personally, adding in archery based classes down the line would be an interesting addition, supposing that they dedicate enough time and resources to make these classes balanced and as engaging as the melee champions they are going to be playing against. But as of now, all melee with a few ranged feats is what we're looking at, and that's ok.

spaff_meister
06-28-2015, 02:55 PM
To also paraphrase, if ranged classes exist, they should play as Support (debuffs/faster movement speed etc.)

CG_HouseVincent
06-28-2015, 03:27 PM
I disagree with the notion that ranged weapons should be implemented into the game. They would kill immersion in sword fighting and wouldn't allow people to have fun. It would become a game of archers vs archers (basically a shooter...). No one wants that.

supabeatsbat
06-28-2015, 06:18 PM
I disagree with the notion that ranged weapons should be implemented into the game. They would kill immersion in sword fighting and wouldn't allow people to have fun. It would become a game of archers vs archers (basically a shooter...). No one wants that.

^^

No need for a ranged-combat classes really.
As well as no need for mounts, over 9000 playable races and any RPG-elements.
Game looks very entertaining even now, overbearing it with stuff will only make it worse.

SerWarhammer
06-28-2015, 06:51 PM
I made a suggestion in another thread:

"for example my idea, in other words, using a hook system by the pitcher, which through "the art of battle" decides where to hit the opponent with his bullet. the target can then try to deflect the bullet moving his guard in the targed area. "

what you think about this crazy idea? :confused:

MrJoker.
06-28-2015, 09:53 PM
I think this is bad idea. This game is about white weapon, you cant feel this climate if you stay behind and shoot to all. You must feel when you finish your opponent.

SerWarhammer
06-28-2015, 10:11 PM
I think this is bad idea. This game is about white weapon, you cant feel this climate if you stay behind and shoot to all. You must feel when you finish your opponent.

It is what I think too. but since many ask thrown weapons I immediately thought about how to enable a defense from them ;)

Doctrinaire
06-29-2015, 12:34 AM
I don't want ranged weapons. as was mentioned, it would become a shooter game, archers vs archers.

the archer strike call that can be made is sufficient.

TaizerBeam
06-29-2015, 03:07 AM
I get what everyone is saying and I mostly agree. Thought it would be an interesting idea to play around with if it could be balanced. Such as maybe arrows are more crippling than straight damage (debuffs kinda like limping etc) and that they have a limited supply. For now I am happy how the game looks. But who knows what they will add down the line.

Dienekes12
06-29-2015, 03:27 AM
And yet, games like Chivalry and Mount and Blade allow ranged options that are not considered broken for the rest of the melee focused game. I will admit, the balance would be difficult. Which is why I suggest not adding them unless you have the time and resources to implement them in a way that fits with the rest of the game.

MrJoker.
06-29-2015, 08:37 AM
The samurai will have the ability to enable them to call fire archers.

Dead1y-Derri
06-30-2015, 04:17 PM
I think ranged weapons could be used as special ability, similar to that of the Ariel strike you saw on the bridge where a character can pull out a spear and throw it at an enemy and if they place a successful hit it does damage.

If we had archers then I don't know what kind of role they'd play You can't have them being this OP force that can't be dealt with so then you'd need to give the mele characters a way to defend themselves which is difficult because you can't have them stopping arrows in mid track, this isn't a movie where you can get away with that.

So I don't know how they'd fit in or be balanced.

FoXX-San
06-30-2015, 07:36 PM
My experience of War of the Roses showed that a lot of battles would become an arrow fest. Melee became fractured on occasions with archer snipers all over the place.
Players would also learn where building glitches were and spam arrows to there hearts content.
Ranged weapons brings a different strategy to the game and if you want pitched battles, archers may be an unwelcomed addition.

Fatal-Feit
07-01-2015, 02:34 AM
Hm... I just can't see it happening. The only way it may be possible are through feats., but every faction already has their own sort of range attacks.

Dead1y-Derri
07-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Hm... I just can't see it happening. The only way it may be possible are through feats., but every faction already has their own sort of range attacks.

It could be they get there own special mode where everyone takes the role of someone who can deal ranged combat.

MrJoker.
07-01-2015, 03:16 PM
This is bad idea. This game is about melee weapons and ranged weapons not .However , in the future, developers can think about the issues , but it requires deeper analysis.

Dead1y-Derri
07-01-2015, 03:33 PM
This is bad idea. This game is about melee weapons and ranged weapons not .However , in the future, developers can think about the issues , but it requires deeper analysis.

If the game had its own mode that was separate and only featured ranged combat then it wouldn't be as bad an idea. However if each faction has a ranged Hero class that can fight regular mele opponents then obviously I do agree its a bad idea.

iTz_ayePatch
07-01-2015, 08:41 PM
I agree with the OP here, ranged weapons simply should not be in here.

Beas7ie
07-04-2015, 12:20 AM
It could be they get there own special mode where everyone takes the role of someone who can deal ranged combat.

They're

There

Their

Please learn the proper forms.

As for ranged weapons, they should be kept as secondaries and feats for the time being. It's fine to be able to throw knives and shurikens that are intended more to distract instead of kill(like what they were used for in real life) or as the special feats that are used under special circumstances, but no classes with main ranged weapons. If I wanted to play a shooter then I'd go play a shooter.