PDA

View Full Version : AI not fighting in original IL2

MrPingwin
05-13-2004, 04:41 PM
I'm doing the German fighter campaign in the original IL2 and have found that on some missions, the enemy fighters just ignore everything and fly in a straight line until they are shot down. Anyone else found that this happens?

MrPingwin
05-13-2004, 04:41 PM
I'm doing the German fighter campaign in the original IL2 and have found that on some missions, the enemy fighters just ignore everything and fly in a straight line until they are shot down. Anyone else found that this happens?

Chuck_Older
05-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Haven't played the original in a loooonnng time, sorry.

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash

mortoma
05-13-2004, 05:01 PM
I think they did that if they were "rookie level"
pilots. Even in FB, rookies ( which you run into a lot in campaigns ) don't really put up much of a fight and let you get on their sixes really easily. Sometimes in FB they ignore you and fly straight like that, even AEP. I had it happen just the other day.

horseback
05-13-2004, 06:41 PM
AI at all levels at some point appear to "lose interest" and head for home, sometimes after running out of ammo. Veteran and below, at least in my experience, don't bother to evade if you engage them once they go into the return to base mode; aces still seem to evade. In the old Il-2, they (aces) always seemed to have had a performance advantage, so you rarely caught up to them anyway.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

AlGroover
05-14-2004, 08:04 AM
This can happen if you engage them a long way from your flightpath.

MrPingwin
05-14-2004, 11:43 AM
The problem seems to occur everytime I fly a mission where you pretty much run head on into a pair of Yak 7s with rockets but they always fly straight on. Even if you get between the two Yaks so the second one is on your six, he still won't fight.

Andy