PDA

View Full Version : Female Armor in For Honor

Darkbloodied
06-27-2015, 06:23 AM
I was watching For Honor game play and I saw that one of the knights was clearly female. Now this does not bother me people should be able to play any gender character they want in a game but what does bother me is that this female knight was wearing the infamous "boob plate". This seems to be a strange choice because this game looks like most of the armor is somewhat realistic considering that the viking faction uses the spectacle helmet rather than a silly unrealistic horned Norman helmet that what comes to mind when people think of vikings.

TaizerBeam
06-27-2015, 07:52 AM
I had to look back as I knew there was a female hero in the demo but didn't remember anything like her chest plate. Looking closer I do see what you are talking about and that is as far as I know unrealistic. On the other hand this is a game with vikings vs knights vs samurai that's main goal is to make you feel the rush of battle so it won't be realistic in all regards. I am glad though that the female warriors are more or less (besides the "boob plate") dressed properly. Besides the name Lady Anne and her voice, I didn't see much difference between her and the other knights. Maybe with customization you can choose more normal chest plate. Most likely they made her that way just to have a slight difference in the demo between male and female heroes. All in all Im glad they're not drastically different and they look like warriors.

Fatal-Feit
06-27-2015, 01:01 PM
There needs to be a way to help identify a player's gender, ya know.

Warphorntek
06-27-2015, 01:55 PM

You can see its woman only by scale and after dueling through voiceacting. I think we will get some options in customization. May it comes later , but it ll be there. It must. Now matters if female ll get more options than male because there is much more male heroes.

CG_HouseVincent
06-27-2015, 02:51 PM

I thought the braid and the body scale compared to males was enough to tell the difference. Make the differences realistic, no need to exaggerate them.

OutlawDr
06-27-2015, 04:49 PM
I think male heroes need oversized genital armor so there is no mistake what gender they are.

Frane89
06-27-2015, 06:18 PM
I was somewhat surprised that they went with the "boob plate", but since you'll be able to customize your character to some extent, it's possible that there's going to be different armors available for females other than only that one.
I mean, while the "boob plate" might not be the best kind of armor design, but it's still an armor. If you prefer your character wearing it, then why not?

Also, somehow samurai and knight gear are both about as effective against each other in For Honor, I really don't see why a "boob plate" wouldn't work.

Fatal-Feit
06-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Also, somehow samurai and knight gear are both about as effective against each other in For Honor, I really don't see why a "boob plate" wouldn't work.

\_(ツ)_/

I think people may be getting ahead of themselves with the pseudo realism. For Honor is trying to stimulate the adrenaline of close quarter combat, and it conveys a fair amount of knowledgable swordplay like half-swording, but it's definitely no simulator.

Solid_Altair
06-28-2015, 01:12 AM
What exactly is wrong with it? Does it have a cleavage? Or is the boob slot itself unrealistic?

OutlawDr
06-28-2015, 07:36 AM
What exactly is wrong with it? Does it have a cleavage? Or is the boob slot itself unrealistic?

http://io9.com/why-boob-plate-armor-would-actually-kill-you-496925522

http://io9.com/what-kind-of-armor-did-medieval-women-really-wear-1502779338

Even so, the boob armor we've seen (from the limited angles shown so far) don't appear to be anywhere close to worst offenders in other games. It actually looks somewhat functional and the women look fully protected, unlike some of the scanty armor we've seen in so many other games.

CG_HouseVincent
06-28-2015, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I agree. There is no need for boob armor and the developers/artists need to stick to traditional and realistic vibes. There is no need to get creative when armor was never made that way in the first place.

If they do implement it, it needs to be practical and not ****ty.

supabeatsbat
06-28-2015, 06:01 PM
\_(ツ)_/

I think people may be getting ahead of themselves with the pseudo realism. For Honor is trying to stimulate the adrenaline of close quarter combat, and it conveys a fair amount of knowledgable swordplay like half-swording, but it's definitely no simulator.

^^

Armor we have now at least looks like it provides a decent protection.
And it does not look like this
http://pds22.egloos.com/pmf/201101/18/68/e0072368_4d34afdf54228.jpg
So its all good :)

SerWarhammer
06-28-2015, 06:53 PM
no one has ever heard of the Valkyries?:p

naphack
06-28-2015, 08:12 PM
So nevermind the fact that there will probably be no cavalry in the game... the most important problem with boob armor is actually when fighting against a rider wielding a lance... Which will with certainty try to aim for your center of mass, which is to say, your chest. Yes, if you get that thing to your chest, you are probably boned anyway, but that's no reason to create an artificial cavity, where a lance has only two ways to go: Either slide upwards towards the throat or penetrate straight through...
I know, there was tournament armor, which actually had a slightly pronounced point at the chest, so a lance could easier slide off... While this kind of stuff isn't practical in an armor made for actual combat, doing the opposite and creating artificial cavities is just asking for trouble.

The most important argument has already been made: Once you wear a gambeson and chainmail, there just isn't an awful lot of chest left to make up for. Sure, there will be a slight bulge in the chest area, but nowhere near as pronounced... And certainly without any cavity in between. That's just additional work to use more material and make a worse armor.

Doctrinaire
06-29-2015, 12:38 AM
anyone thing perhaps it was something that Lady Anne chose for her character?

agreed though, there are enough things that will show a player to be female w/o having boob plates. should be more like Lady Brienne.

RADTrooper
06-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Honestly, I just satisfied right now that they are even allowing female characters. The developers easily could have not included them at all, or like the above post suggests, could have given them chainmail bikini armor. Now I'm Knight all the way, but I can't help but imagine a one on one fight against a female viking. Intense.

Warphorntek
06-30-2015, 06:24 AM
Hey in the end there is nothing wrong with it. Lets just call to devs to let us choose in customization so everyone can be happy. We dont need push realism to blood.

naphack
06-30-2015, 07:28 AM
Hey in the end there is nothing wrong with it. Lets just call to devs to let us choose in customization so everyone can be happy. We dont need push realism to blood.

There can never be too much realism.

Dead1y-Derri
06-30-2015, 04:30 PM
If females are smaller than men in the game, does that mean the hitboxes are going to be smaller? If so that could cause gameplay problems.

RADTrooper
06-30-2015, 05:46 PM
Perhaps getting slightly off topic, but do the hit boxes even exist? As far as I know, there isn't any aiming mechanics. With the lock-on-target, I'd imagine the swings will all be towards the middle of the body so I don't think there would be any advantage to playing male or female.

Doctrinaire
06-30-2015, 06:55 PM
hey RT, there would be a difference, simply because the female form is weaker than the male. that will change the dynamics of how women play and what they can play.

it's funny though, this is all conjecture...we won't know till we know. :rolleyes:

RADTrooper
07-01-2015, 02:17 AM
Conjecture is right. It being an alternate history and all that even has female warriors, I guess its possible that there is a role reversal so the women are the hard hitting ones eh?

Fatal-Feit
07-01-2015, 02:22 AM
Perhaps getting slightly off topic, but do the hit boxes even exist? As far as I know, there isn't any aiming mechanics. With the lock-on-target, I'd imagine the swings will all be towards the middle of the body so I don't think there would be any advantage to playing male or female.

Well, the game also has free aim.

Beas7ie
07-04-2015, 12:28 AM
At least she didn't have just a chain mail bikini.

premiumart
07-14-2015, 03:23 PM
Im pretty sure i saw a female oni in the gameplay walktrhough and couldnt figure out that it was a woman on first glance, i was actually looking for the "boob plate" to confirm my guess but only the body shape did reveal that fact.( or im totally wrong XD )

jackstod1994
07-25-2015, 01:45 PM
I suppose your male what does it matter to you?.