View Full Version : Navigational Ideas for BoB

Aaron_GT
03-12-2004, 06:37 AM
Enable a right-click menu on the map with
the following sort of functions:

"I believe I am just here"
"Show me where ground control thinks I am"
"Tell me about the weather in a location at time X"
"Tell me about enemy activity reported at location" (could be air, via observers or radar, or ground, via forward observers)
"Ground control give me a course to this location from where I believe I am (breaks radio silence)"
"Navigator, give me a course to this location from where I believe I am (does not break radio silence, but requires a multi seat plane)"
"Auto navigator, give me a course to this location from where I believe I am (assumes a switchable auto navigation function"
"Navigator, where am I? (assumes a navigator on a multi seat plane - and may not be a correct plot)"
"Auto navigator, where am I?"

This would mean you could play with map
icons off, but still have some help from
ground control.

For example, if ground control has radar
and your course has been tracked, then you
can ask ground control to tell you where
it thinks you are (i.e. place an icon on
the map).

If ground control hasn't been able to track
you then you can click on where you _think_
you are, and then ask ground control for
vectors based on this.

If the plane has a navigator, then you
can ask the navigator for directions without
breaking radio silence.

Aaron_GT
03-12-2004, 06:37 AM
Enable a right-click menu on the map with
the following sort of functions:

"I believe I am just here"
"Show me where ground control thinks I am"
"Tell me about the weather in a location at time X"
"Tell me about enemy activity reported at location" (could be air, via observers or radar, or ground, via forward observers)
"Ground control give me a course to this location from where I believe I am (breaks radio silence)"
"Navigator, give me a course to this location from where I believe I am (does not break radio silence, but requires a multi seat plane)"
"Auto navigator, give me a course to this location from where I believe I am (assumes a switchable auto navigation function"
"Navigator, where am I? (assumes a navigator on a multi seat plane - and may not be a correct plot)"
"Auto navigator, where am I?"

This would mean you could play with map
icons off, but still have some help from
ground control.

For example, if ground control has radar
and your course has been tracked, then you
can ask ground control to tell you where
it thinks you are (i.e. place an icon on
the map).

If ground control hasn't been able to track
you then you can click on where you _think_
you are, and then ask ground control for
vectors based on this.

If the plane has a navigator, then you
can ask the navigator for directions without
breaking radio silence.

03-12-2004, 06:48 AM
I want lovely young lasses pushing model aircraft with sticks across a big map of Britain.

Aaron_GT
03-12-2004, 07:22 AM
Maybe that particular animation could be added
in a special add on. With an extra special
18+ add on as well :-)

WWMaxGunz
03-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Ground control might be able to get a bearing on you if they have radio direction finders at the base.

If there were beacons you could tune in to then you might be able to get two fixes and come up with a rough location.

I don't know what they could tell pilots, really. they knoew enough to have the situation maps and tables. they knew and communicated enough to vector flights onto targets. They probably got some of that wrong.

Landmarks would also be good. We have some of that now sort of. I've use the maps and angles to big hills and river features to make good guesses before.

Having home base give me a vector has always narrowed down the positions I could be to a kind of line to work from although since I'm moving that can change. Get a vector, fly perpendicular for an estimated distance and get another vector and you may have it narrowed down nicely.

Just some thoughts. I always thought the EAW system in those regards was good although the 30 degree increment on vectors... maybe that was historic? Where there was no radar coverage you couldn't get a vector to the enemy but where there was you could.

Neal

Dmitri9mm
03-12-2004, 07:55 AM
In "B-17" the funniest way to play was as a navigator. There was a great deal of realism in it, though if you let the AI do the work it would shout: "I don't have a clue about where we are" all the time.

Mike_Green
03-13-2004, 02:49 PM
An RAF fighter pilot trying to find home base after combat could request a fix which was obtained by two ground stations taking bearings on his transmitted signal. This was a time consuming business, and if there were a lot of pilots requesting fixes, pilots would sometimes ditch because no-one was available to fix their position in time.

Previously known round these parts as mikeyg007

GT182
03-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Dmitri9mm, you could have set navagation to "Flawless" and not had to worry. B17 was a bomber sim so the most enjoyment was from shooting down the attacking Lw and hitting the target. Over at bombs-away.net's v8thOps we finally set nav, to "Flawless" so more could enjoy what the game was supposed to give.

"GT182" / "vonSpinmeister"
www.bombs-away.net (http://www.bombs-away.net)
"Fly to Survive, Survive to Fly"