PDA

View Full Version : A short story a quickly wrote up at work about For Honor (Don't tell my boss)

TaizerBeam
06-25-2015, 10:08 PM
So while at work I couldn't shake my excitement for this game so I decided to quickly jot down a short story based on one of the factions. I posted it on Reddit but then I found this forum so thought I would share. Mind you it is a quick write and not prize winning. Maybe I'll write some more and put more time into them in the future. Without further ado here it is:

Afraid of the Dark

“Are you scared of the dark Mother?” The scarred face of the one who raised me stayed stoic yet embraced the warmth of the fire before us.
“Long ago I realized our blades are scarier than any fangs of monsters”. On that night, my mother showed me the terrors that are men. Our camp was raided. Bandits had tracked our group knowing our party was falling behind caring for the weak and injured. A whistle, the sound of a falcon diving to injured prey, cut through the air; flaming arrows pounding the sand. Tents erupted in flames and screams drifted towards the moon. I still remember seeing living shadows dance in the fire, and then crumble apart. The smell of blood mixed with lunar bliss filled my senses but drowning out all the pain and fear stood my mother, katana drawn. She finally bore her fang.

The bandits emerged from behind the dunes confident seeing only one warrior clad in metal and a boy trembling by her side. I remember the sand shifting with their hungry steps, my heartbeat roaring in my ears. These were monsters charging at us, craving my flesh. “We’re going to die…”
However, my heart grew to fear something greater than the hordes of beasts before us. Mother, clad in our family’s armor wasn’t a woman to my young eyes but a demon with iron scales and a single fang; her body a figure of nightmares. The bandits got closer and closer until they passed the first smoldering tents, then Mother roared. Tents that I thought were graves danced to life spawning more demons from where there should be the dead. They were clad in armor of those I laughed with just hours ago. Only now I know, we were never unprepared. The soldiers became the strongest warriors: Time and Patience, and waited to strike. In gurgles and cries they consumed the bandits, metal and all. Teeth against teeth, sword against sword, the taste of metal and blood mixed under the stars.
“We were chosen to find a new home. We are the monsters men fear. Remember this.” Those were her words.

Oakmantle
06-25-2015, 10:27 PM
A nice little story. I use the term "nice" complementarly of course, as opposed to indicating the feelings the story may incite xP

I can understand how you feel. I'm quite anxious to start writing something myself, although I am hesitant to begin before I know more about the setting. Since the developers have said that it is something of a psuedo-historical fantasy, and that we should not expect dragons or the likes, I would probably not have used explicit magic like necromancy myself - But a work born from a burst of inspiration rarely takes such things into consideration :)

Sheez, now I'm even more anxious to write something xD

TaizerBeam
06-25-2015, 10:31 PM
A nice little story. I use the term "nice" complementarly of course, as opposed to indicating the feelings the story may incite xP

I can understand how you feel. I'm quite anxious to start writing something myself, although I am hesitant to begin before I know more about the setting. Since the developers have said that it is something of a psuedo-historical fantasy, and that we should not expect dragons or the likes, I would probably not have used explicit magic like necromancy myself - But a work born from a burst of inspiration rarely takes such things into consideration :)

Sheez, now I'm even more anxious to write something xD

Oh haha guess I wasn't clear (it was a quick write). The story is from the child's eyes which makes everything appear like monsters and demons when really warriors were hiding in the tents in full armor awaiting the attack. Maybe I'll edit it to clear it up. Do it! I'd love to read it.

Oakmantle
06-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Oh haha guess I wasn't clear (it was a quick write). The story is from the child's eyes which makes everything appear like monsters and demons when really warriors were hiding in the tents in full armor awaiting the attack. Maybe I'll edit it to clear it up. Do it! I'd love to read it.

Ah, I see. I think it did come across a bit vaguely there xP I had the impression that the camp had been mostly annihiliated and that they were raised as ghouls. I did get the metaphors up until that point though, then I had to scratch my head a bit and wonder if you had been literal xD

TaizerBeam
06-25-2015, 10:42 PM
Ah, I see. I think it did come across a bit vaguely there xP I had the impression that the camp had been mostly annihiliated and that they were raised as ghouls. I did get the metaphors up until that point though, then I had to scratch my head a bit and wonder if you had been literal xD

Hmm I see what you mean. Ok did a little editing =P hope it helps.

Oakmantle
06-25-2015, 10:57 PM
Hmm I see what you mean. Ok did a little editing =P hope it helps.

That clarifies it a bit, indeed x3

premiumart
08-02-2015, 12:58 PM
This story does a good job of showing what the chosen are about, good work. Maybe you should try and write something about the other Factions aswell ?

Ant Heuser Kush
08-03-2015, 01:33 AM
Great read! I thoroughly enjoyed this.

UbiBooma
08-03-2015, 06:39 PM
As a short-story writer myself I really appreciate this. Thanks for sharing!!