PDA

View Full Version : Art of Battle Deepness

KromeWing
06-25-2015, 08:52 PM
I understand that the art of battle system is the core of the game. We may have different classes, weapons and perhaps even cultures at some point. But for me, the main thing that got me, is this system. Because it focus on the things that are most important in a real battle and transfers it to a controller: predictability and reflexes.

From what we have seen so far, there are some stuff that I would like to highlight:

First: The only differences we have seen so far between the classes are offensive and defensive power (besides the talents). They said that the assassin has a weaker defense and more deadly strikes (in other words, he sacrifices defense for more power) and they also said that the warden is a more balanced character. This is only about more or less damage from attacks, not about the art of battle system itself. But I think they should let the character style reflect in the battle system.

Jason Vandenberghe said in the Masterclass when asked by an japanese guy about the fight stances that it is not a surprise that different civilizations around the world found the same battle stances to be more effective. But he emphasizes that the european style pulls power also from the hips when swinging a sword, and because of that, "splits you in half" when it hits.

We can not speculate about how heavier weapons works, because all we saw in gameplay was swords. But I think that when you block an heavy attack of a Viking Berserker, you should take longer to recover your attack stance. Which would open an space for the Viking to continue attacking and in this way keep his opponent under pressure. This would would lead the viking's opponent to take the risk of dodge instead of blocking.
Also the japanese style is more about technique. They wouldn't try to completely stop a heavy blow with a shield like a knight, they probably would deflect the brute force with a lesser force, being able to attack normaly right after a block.

This leads to the second matter: From what I saw, you are not able to keep attacking when your attack is blocked. When the character's attack is blocked, he always take a step back to the neutral stance. Of course that you can attack again if you want, but these attacks are just not connected. My point is that when you attack an opponent and he is blocking, you have the advantege because you are in the offensive. And the way it is right now, you just can't keep the momentum. In my opinion, it takes part of the action... As players might begin to alternate attacks between them.

I know that this may sound awkward since the game does not have anything to limit consecutives attacks (like an stamina bar), and I'm not saying that limit the attacks would be the solution. I don't think that they should impose a limit at all, it is better to let it limitless.
You would be forced to sharp your eyes in order to find a breach between the attacks and be fast enough to place an attack on this breach (it is a good opportunity to weapons impact the system, faster weapons should have an advantage in this), or perhaps you could also learn the attack pattern from your opponent since he keeps pressuring and do some kind of counter attack (I'm not sure if that would fit the game well, but they could reward the blocker if he press the button at the exactly time that an attack hits, something like Soul Calibur), or you could also just give a huge step back by dodging in order to "breathe" and calculate a better approach, which would not be possible if the opponent managed to put you against an wall (they said that the battlefield will be a very important matter). In all this cases you would be rewarded by reflexes, predictability or better positioning.
In fact, you are not able to attack right after your attack is blocked, but this doesn't seem to be the case when you try to attack righ after a block. (Again, I'm talking about consecutives attacks.)
In all gameplay videos, the blocker attacks only after his stance reseted to the neutral. But there is one fast attack that only happened once! If you look close on the For Honor Gameplay - Multiplayer Walkthrough video, exactly at the mark of 3:00, you will notice that the knight blocks an upper attack from the samurai and instantly attacks. Swinging the weapon from the same block stance. That was beautiful! Looked like real battle!!! (Still not sure why they don't execute this kind of attack after each block)

There are more things I wanted to talk about, but this thread is already huge and I need to go back to work

So... I'm still waiting to see how different weapons will affect the art of battle. And also if the classes are going to have an impact on this system somehow.

In any case, I'll be playing this game!

SerWarhammer
06-27-2015, 01:37 PM
UP.

your post is gold! it must be to the top of the forum list. :cool:

Warphorntek
06-30-2015, 07:23 AM
True its quite long post, but these which want best for game must read this .) I would write something similar but would mess it up with my skilled english language :cool: Impact is needed and i look forward to see that heavy weapons will a bit cripple target after succesful hit. Biggest one just must. It would be maybe too much real if it can knock out arm.

Eiddard
06-30-2015, 10:31 AM
In all gameplay videos, the blocker attacks only after his stance reseted to the neutral. But there is one fast attack that only happened once! If you look close on the For Honor Gameplay - Multiplayer Walkthrough video, exactly at the mark of 3:00, you will notice that the knight blocks an upper attack from the samurai and instantly attacks. Swinging the weapon from the same block stance. That was beautiful! Looked like real battle!!! (Still not sure why they don't execute this kind of attack after each block)

What you look there is not a fast attack, is a parry, when you time your block correctly it was said that you could parry, in the same video, at the 3:40 you can see a parry from the Samurai. Parrying allows you to counter attack your opponent really fast, without giving the chance to defend.

As far as I saw, there are 3 different types of blocks.

- The standard block, your opponent attack you, you block him, and you both go back to stance position.

- Parry: timed block that allows the defender to counterattack really fast.

- Late block: I dont really know how to call it, but it is a block that puts the defender in a bad spot, it is an inneficient block.

To illustrate those blocks:

Standar block: minute 1:34 you can see a block in each direction.

Parry: 3:00 and 3:40

Late block: 2:57(before the parry) and 4:25, you can see that it is a ****ty block, not a full block like the standar one or the parry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp3NKQlJPuo

In this video there is a better example of late block, in the min 0:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFasaygBH4

Warphorntek
06-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Can see it now :p

AridZachdeath44
07-03-2015, 03:53 PM
I understand that the art of battle system is the core of the game. We may have different classes, weapons and perhaps even cultures at some point. But for me, the main thing that got me, is this system. Because it focus on the things that are most important in a real battle and transfers it to a controller: predictability and reflexes.

From what we have seen so far, there are some stuff that I would like to highlight:

First: The only differences we have seen so far between the classes are offensive and defensive power (besides the talents). They said that the assassin has a weaker defense and more deadly strikes (in other words, he sacrifices defense for more power) and they also said that the warden is a more balanced character. This is only about more or less damage from attacks, not about the art of battle system itself. But I think they should let the character style reflect in the battle system.

Jason Vandenberghe said in the Masterclass when asked by an japanese guy about the fight stances that it is not a surprise that different civilizations around the world found the same battle stances to be more effective. But he emphasizes that the european style pulls power also from the hips when swinging a sword, and because of that, "splits you in half" when it hits.

We can not speculate about how heavier weapons works, because all we saw in gameplay was swords. But I think that when you block an heavy attack of a Viking Berserker, you should take longer to recover your attack stance. Which would open an space for the Viking to continue attacking and in this way keep his opponent under pressure. This would would lead the viking's opponent to take the risk of dodge instead of blocking.
Also the japanese style is more about technique. They wouldn't try to completely stop a heavy blow with a shield like a knight, they probably would deflect the brute force with a lesser force, being able to attack normaly right after a block.

This leads to the second matter: From what I saw, you are not able to keep attacking when your attack is blocked. When the character's attack is blocked, he always take a step back to the neutral stance. Of course that you can attack again if you want, but these attacks are just not connected. My point is that when you attack an opponent and he is blocking, you have the advantege because you are in the offensive. And the way it is right now, you just can't keep the momentum. In my opinion, it takes part of the action... As players might begin to alternate attacks between them.

I know that this may sound awkward since the game does not have anything to limit consecutives attacks (like an stamina bar), and I'm not saying that limit the attacks would be the solution. I don't think that they should impose a limit at all, it is better to let it limitless.
You would be forced to sharp your eyes in order to find a breach between the attacks and be fast enough to place an attack on this breach (it is a good opportunity to weapons impact the system, faster weapons should have an advantage in this), or perhaps you could also learn the attack pattern from your opponent since he keeps pressuring and do some kind of counter attack (I'm not sure if that would fit the game well, but they could reward the blocker if he press the button at the exactly time that an attack hits, something like Soul Calibur), or you could also just give a huge step back by dodging in order to "breathe" and calculate a better approach, which would not be possible if the opponent managed to put you against an wall (they said that the battlefield will be a very important matter). In all this cases you would be rewarded by reflexes, predictability or better positioning.
In fact, you are not able to attack right after your attack is blocked, but this doesn't seem to be the case when you try to attack righ after a block. (Again, I'm talking about consecutives attacks.)

There are more things I wanted to talk about, but this thread is already huge and I need to go back to work

So... I'm still waiting to see how different weapons will affect the art of battle. And also if the classes are going to have an impact on this system somehow.

I believe the attack that came directly after the upward block was the result of a perfectly timed block.

WYRDB0Y
07-03-2015, 06:57 PM
What interests me is how they gonna balance spear type long reach weapons against short ones like swords. Because IRL with a spear you have the advantage, because you can keep the enemy away from you. The long reach weapons should have an advantage, well... at long reach, but should be disadvantageous if the enemy with the short reach weapon can close the distance. So fighting in this setup would require a lot of dodging (and closing distance) on the short reach side when attacking, and would require dodging (and creating distance) on the long reach side.

What do you think, how can be different types of weapons balanced?

Solid_Altair
07-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Very good OP.

There is actually a big difference of this kind, between the classes we've seen. The Oni has a neutral stance, while the Warden doesn't. You can see that the Oni can have his sword in the center of his body, with the UI directions all greyed out. The Warden can't have this. If the player release the stick, his last stance remains. I think this is a godd way to represent how the Warden style makes a more extensive use of the hips. He can't change his stance (refresh it) as quickly as the Oni. The Oni needs only reposition his hands.

Another difference is one you've already noticed. The Warden seems to have a special parry that allows an attack that flows from it. In the off-screen video there is actually a case where the Warden does that even though the parry doesn't connect. I'd lso like to point out that it doesn't seem to rely on perfect timing, since the player has the high stance quite a while before the attack connects.

BTW, I disagree that these moves should be common. I like that you get back to your normal stance after performing the usual parries. It doesn't look as fancy but it deepens the gameplay, as you get to choose with which attack you fire back.

It's cool that you mentioned Soul Calibur. Soul Calibur got this impact and range stuff perfectly, albeit with not so fancy animations. The key thing to realise is that it is all a matter of speed. Force and range are a matter of speed. A longer weapon is fasteer from long range. And a forceful blow will cause a longer recovery time to the enemy's block, which will give you a relative time advantage. This isn't a mystery. People already figured it out. If they want to create long range or heavy styles, this is the way to do it. :o

And about the efficiency of parries, I did a long post in another thread. Here it is. I hope it's not impolite to quote myself: :p

I think I saw the opposite. In the second video, although the Oni watches his opponent for a while, he "mashes flicks", so his parry is last instant thing, in comparison to the first video, where the Oni was holding the high stance.

Which relates to this:

This assumes that shifting your stance late, when the attack is about to connect, makes your parry better. In some cases, it seems like it does. In others, it's the other way around. So, from just watching the videos I can't tell. Having said that, I actually think some of the developer players were trying this tactic you mentioned. And you may not have enough time, specially if you're a knight, because he doesn't have a neutral stance, like the Oni, does. If you wanna swap and swap back as a knight, you're gonna have to switch your stance completely... and twice. As the Oni, you can simply release and press the R stick back at the intended direction, having the character centering his sword and putting it to the side again, without needing to shift his feet.

From what I've gathered, I came up with a few alternative hypothesis:

1a- Some attacks Guard Crush (result in bad parries, that favor the attacker) (not be mistaken with the Guard Brakes) by default. These are specific to the attacks, which can be very, very specific. In the examples I mentioned in those two videos, I attack that is parried well is actually a little different, because the lady doesn't advance and change her stance with the jump. So, it seems like only the advancing strong high attack of the knight Guard Crushes by default. The Oni's Guard Crusher is his right strong advancing attack.

1b- Other attacks Guard Crush circumstantially. These Crushes happen when the fighter parries without actually having his full parry stance, because they are taunting, recovering from a whiff, recovering from parrying a previous attack, or just starting to lock on the attacker.

2a- All strong attacks Guard Crush by default, unless their parries are timed well. Timing them well doesn't require a very sharp (late) timing. You just can sit in the stance for a very long time. And even if you time it well, you may be crushed, depending on the circumstances, like mentioned in 1b.

2b- Like 1b.

3a- Only some attacks Guard Crush... and only if they're parried with bad timing (stance is held from very early on).

3a- Like 1b.

Hypothesis 3 doesn't sound good to Okham's Razor. Way too complicated.

I'm leaning towards 1 or 2. A little more towards 2. They're all very complicated, actualy, but I couldn't find a simpler pattern... there was only one event that proved an exception and made me pull half my hair out. BTW, hypotheses 2 and 3 support the tactic you've entioned. Hypotheesis 1 does not. I'm really leaning towards 2, now.

I'm pretty sure you can choose the direction. It is possible to successfully dodge towards the attack, though. However, its timing seems more difficult. Dodging away from the attack seems easier, in terms of timing. Even dodging away can fail, if the timing is bad enough (early or late). Guys can be hit while rolling. Dodging doesn't necessarily put you in advantage. If your enemy is doing a string of two fast attacks, his second attack will catch you befor eyou can fire back.

BTW, I do think being hit by a fast attack interrupts your strong attack, or anything you're doing. I don't think there is "poise" (as in Dark Souls) in this game, unless you're executing someone (including Adds) or you're just being hit by Adds.

I' pretty sure it's the Left Stick. I saw a character dodging one way, while blocking (having his stance on) the other.

I think if you dodge without a lock on, you roll.

I'll talk about the "combo system" later. Basically, I agree with the way it is now in the game.

KromeWing
07-10-2015, 11:17 PM
UP.

your post is gold! it must be to the top of the forum list. :cool:

Thanks! I think that this is the kind of subject and discussion that would help the developers. :)

What you look there is not a fast attack, is a parry, when you time your block correctly it was said that you could parry, in the same video, at the 3:40 you can see a parry from the Samurai. Parrying allows you to counter attack your opponent really fast, without giving the chance to defend.

As far as I saw, there are 3 different types of blocks.

- The standard block, your opponent attack you, you block him, and you both go back to stance position.

- Parry: timed block that allows the defender to counterattack really fast.

- Late block: I dont really know how to call it, but it is a block that puts the defender in a bad spot, it is an inneficient block.

Another difference is one you've already noticed. The Warden seems to have a special parry that allows an attack that flows from it. In the off-screen video there is actually a case where the Warden does that even though the parry doesn't connect. I'd lso like to point out that it doesn't seem to rely on perfect timing, since the player has the high stance quite a while before the attack connects.

I understood what you said about the standard block and the late block Eiddard, but Solid_Altair's observation seems to be right. The warden is holding the up-block stance a while before the attack connects. This type of attack or counter attack continues to be a mystery.

What interests me is how they gonna balance spear type long reach weapons against short ones like swords. Because IRL with a spear you have the advantage, because you can keep the enemy away from you. The long reach weapons should have an advantage, well... at long reach, but should be disadvantageous if the enemy with the short reach weapon can close the distance. So fighting in this setup would require a lot of dodging (and closing distance) on the short reach side when attacking, and would require dodging (and creating distance) on the long reach side.

What do you think, how can be different types of weapons balanced?

I think that weapons with greater reach won't be a huge problem... They will probably be a bit slower. To keep the advantage of reach IRL I believe that someone with a spear would attack only at the range limit, not giving chances to the enemy get close, ensuring the victory by taking a minimum amount of risk.

In the game this would reflect with people being more careful when approaching an opponent with a polearm, but the predictability factor remains. You can still block the attacks while you get closer (or might be a specific blow powerful enough to make an opponent move away even with a block).

The most complicated part would be to make these attacks less effective at close range... Not sure if this is possible. But there is already some kind of tackle that seems to be used to recover some space.

There is actually a big difference of this kind, between the classes we've seen. The Oni has a neutral stance, while the Warden doesn't. You can see that the Oni can have his sword in the center of his body, with the UI directions all greyed out. The Warden can't have this. If the player release the stick, his last stance remains. I think this is a godd way to represent how the Warden style makes a more extensive use of the hips. He can't change his stance (refresh it) as quickly as the Oni. The Oni needs only reposition his hands.

I really missed this one!!! It's amazing!

Apparently this means that the Oni has some advantage with that neutral stance, seems to make easier to bluff or even answer faster with a block. Warden probably is slower to change his block stance... But we also can't be sure if this is just visual or if it affects the Art of Battle.

The truth is that is really hard to talk about these things when you didn't play it yet. We speculate about how the game might be, but we do not have a real ideia of how the game is now! Your theory about parry is really nice, but we could know how it functions with an answer from some developer or something like that. This would give us a light and make these discussions more focused! (still a long road before we get a chance to play beta)

BTW, I disagree that these moves should be common. I like that you get back to your normal stance after performing the usual parries. It doesn't look as fancy but it deepens the gameplay, as you get to choose with which attack you fire back.

I don't know... I think that the game wants to pass that feeling of heat from battle in a battlefield. I just have the feeling that if you step back after your attack is blocked and the same happens to opponent in a battle, and this go on and on, the fight would be kind of cold and boring...
If your opponent blocked your attack you should be able to connect others attacks. Try different combinations from different angles... Try to find that breach!

Another thing that would be cool in my opinion, they could have some different moves that are not exactly attached to their weapon. Attacks with knees, elbows, with the grip or with the cross-guard of the sword (not only as a finishing move) or with unusual parts of the weapon they are using. I think that this would increase the brutality and reality (would be more like the cinematic trailer) But I think this would be ask too much... Anyway, the game is already amazing!

Havemercy87
07-11-2015, 03:11 AM
The truth is that is really hard to talk about these things when you didn't play it yet. We speculate about how the game might be, but we do not have a real ideia of how the game is now! Your theory about parry is really nice, but we could know how it functions with an answer from some developer or something like that. This would give us a light and make these discussions more focused! (still a long road before we get a chance to play beta)

You all got some really great ideas and observations and some have been on my mind as well, but this one is the breadwinner.

guest-7lONTXP5
07-11-2015, 03:20 AM
Another thing that would be cool in my opinion, they could have some different moves that are not exactly attached to their weapon. Attacks with knees, elbows, with the grip or with the cross-guard of the sword (not only as a finishing move) or with unusual parts of the weapon they are using. I think that this would increase the brutality and reality (would be more like the cinematic trailer) But I think this would be ask too much... Anyway, the game is already amazing!

I think most of these things are built in the Guard Brake moves. But halfswording would be really too much because their swords can already cut through everything so it wouldn't make much sense :confused: :rolleyes:

And if they made the extra button for starting the final executions in a way it could be stopped (like in the Viking scene from the trailer) or failed (like in the Knight vs Samurai scene in the trailer) it could get very close to the trailer.

DarkHeavenSoul05
07-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Perfect, just perfect.

We still have a year to wait, let's see how they do.

Weiss_M
07-20-2015, 04:46 AM
OK, guys, I think we need some corrections in this thread. If there's someone who practises HEMA, please help us.

I've being reading the thread and I've seeing some popular misconceptions about how swordfights work. Misconceptions I myself made not many months ago before I discovered the existence of HEMA and started reading and seeing lots of videos about Historical fencing. And I'm talking about real world stuff because Jason Vandenberghe practises HEMA. If that weren't the case, **** logic.

First: About the Viking Berserker heavy attack.
When an enemy attacks you, you don't suddenly enter in a defence-only state where you can only defend until your enemy runs out of stamina or makes an error. It doesn't matter wether your enemy is a skinny guy or a heavyweight warrior. Transfering this to the game, it doesn't matter the strength of your enemy, when you are hit and stunned you need to defend in the direction the next blow is comming. Remember this is a three direction system (up, left, right).
Look the heavy attack after the shoulder push: LINK: https://youtu.be/nvcZzUpF8ZM?t=7m6s
The knight hits the samurai with a heavy blow but the samurai is able to parry the second attack and throw off balance the knight. It's not the Hero who decides the result of the combat, otherwise, every player would pick the same one. it's the player, and in this case, the player who can defend effectively.
And yes, you might say that only the Chosen would be able to perform such an efficient parry because they're all about technique, but everyone can parry if they read their opponent's stance. Look at the Knight blocking the attack and throwing off balance the Samurai: LINK: https://youtu.be/nvcZzUpF8ZM?t=6m34s

Second:

From what I saw, you are not able to keep attacking when your attack is blocked. When the character's attack is blocked, he always take a step back to the neutral stance [...] My point is that when you attack an opponent and he is blocking, you have the advantege because you are in the offensive.
It could be the other way around.
After the double parry. Look how the two Samurais attack and lose their balance, while the Knight doesn't even flinch. LINK: https://youtu.be/nvcZzUpF8ZM?t=6m18s
I think the result of the attack depends on the timing of the defending player.

Third: About the 3 types of blocking
-Type one: That is a common parry. Or block, if you like. We could enter the debate about the difference between them: that blocking is putting your weapon between your enemy's weapon and your body and that parrying is "attacking" your enemy's weapon to deflect their attack. It's just nomenclature, it rarely affects the combat.
-Type two: That is a parry followed by a riposte, or a "Parry and Riposte" (as if it would have been a Block and Riposte. Yes, you can riposte after stopping and not deflecting your enemy's weapon). It's not like "Parrying" is only when you can attack afterwards. And forget the concepts "Parry" and "Riposte" from the Souls saga. A "Parry" is not a magical move which stuns your enemy and a "Riposte" it's not the killing blow you make afterwards. In a For Honor game mechanic sense, a Riposte would be an attack made immediately after you time correctly your parry. Like the Warden does. LINK: https://youtu.be/sp3NKQlJPuo?t=2m57s
-Type three: That is what happens when you let your enemy's weapon gain full speed and pretend to use your own weapon like a shield. In the game, it's just a bad timed parry. "Late block" sounds quite fitting to me.

So I propose:
-Type one: Parry/Block (whichever you like).
-Type two: Parry/Block and Riposte.
-Type three: Late parry/block.

Fourth: The Samurai does not have a neutral guard stance.
Look how the Samurai moves his katana around, and look how the HUD changes showing the direction he is guarding. LINK: https://youtu.be/sp3NKQlJPuo?t=1m29s
If the Chosen were the only ones who could attack or defend without the enemy knowing where they are going to defend or attack everyone would be a Samurai.
I think that whenever you release the Right stick you stop guarding at all regardless your faction and are vulnerable to any attack. However, this could be used to prevent the enemy from guard breaking you.

Fifth: Longer weapons like the spear are faster...
...because you can wield them like a lever. With a little movement in the hands, the point can travel faster than the enemy's hand. That's why they were one of the most common weapons in war: they are longer AND faster. They do have a disadvantage: only the point is dangerous. Manage to deflect your enemy's thrust, grab the shaft and enjoy.
By the way, we don't even know if thrusts are going to be in the game. If that wasn't the case, no spears. Slashing or blunt polearms (Halberds, glaives and pole war hammers), however, could fit in the triangular system.

Solid_Altair
07-21-2015, 05:31 AM
But we also can't be sure if this is just visual or if it affects the Art of Battle.
I think we can be pretty sure. In the dev video with the HUD, an Oni refreshes his stance to parry a strong attack from a knight (before knocking her down to kill her). It was the best kind of parry.

In the HUDless dev video we see the Knight struggling against the Oni's strong attacks. It seems he tries to shift his stance (to right and left again) but doesn't have enough time and gets hit. Later in the same fight be gets guard broken by strong attacks, for holding the same stance for too long, because he is afraid of not having enough time to shift. A bit of speculation... only a bit I dare say. :p

Your theory about parry is really nice, but we could know how it functions with an answer from some developer or something like that. This would give us a light and make these discussions more focused!
I agree. We get something good going on here. The community developers, moderators and all are doing a good job. I feeling heard, like they're really interested in the feedback and this isn't just a PR move. Having said that, if we could get some answeres from the devs, either directly or via the community developers and mods, we would be able to deepen the feedback even more.

I hope it's not impolite to mention this here:

In the EA UFC forum, one o fthe Devs is discussing some prototype ideas with the community in very very minute detail. It's a lot of fun and he is making changes directly due to some feedback.

I just have the feeling that if you step back after your attack is blocked and the same happens to opponent in a battle, and this go on and on, the fight would be kind of cold and boring...
By "step back" do you mean a literal back step, or just the animation of returning to the stance? BTW, the animation of returning to stance doesn't seem to end at the same time for both fighters, I think it looks fluid enough. And this kind of impass probably wouldn't happen for too long, as fighters can mix their offense with evasions, strong attacks and guard breaks. So, even if the players can parry the fast attacks very easily, which I don't think they will... the steel will slip through by other means.

If your opponent blocked your attack you should be able to connect others attacks. Try different combinations from different angles... Try to find that breach!
You can do it... if you manage to guard break him with the first attack. Keep in mind the second attacks flow from the first ones, which makes them harder to read. In order to perform them, you gotta earn it. The main ways to do this are hitting or guard crushing the guy with first attack. Also, if you dodge my first attack and it's a fast one, I can catch you with my second fast attack before you can hit me (assuming you're in my range... like if you side step, but perhaps not if you back step). You can still parry the second attack, though. Dunno if you have enough time to perform a second dodge.

And this is pretty much what I wanted to say about the combo system. It was shorter than I had imagined. :rolleyes:

As it has been said, this is mostly the realm of guard breaks. Although I've seen a combo where the knight uses the sword like a pickaxe (kinda like that execution). It's some horizontal attack. I wouldn't be surprised if shield bearers used the actual shield for actual attacks, too.

Solid_Altair
07-21-2015, 06:09 AM
Fourth: The Samurai does not have a neutral guard stance.
Look how the Samurai moves his katana around, and look how the HUD changes showing the direction he is guarding. LINK: https://youtu.be/sp3NKQlJPuo?t=1m29s
If the Chosen were the only ones who could attack or defend without the enemy knowing where they are going to defend or attack everyone would be a Samurai.
I think that whenever you release the Right stick you stop guarding at all regardless your faction and are vulnerable to any attack. However, this could be used to prevent the enemy from guard breaking you.
I meant he has a neutral, not that he has only the neutral one. If you release the stick as a Samurai, he places his hands in the center and his hud is greyed out. He can not defend (and perhaps also not attack) like this. But this may help him to time his parries. The Warden can't have this neutral stance. If you let go of the stick, he will remain in his last stance.

If you want me to reference the videos specifically, let me know.

Fifth: Longer weapons like the spear are faster...
...because you can wield them like a lever. With a little movement in the hands, the point can travel faster than the enemy's hand. That's why they were one of the most common weapons in war: they are longer AND faster. They do have a disadvantage: only the point is dangerous. Manage to deflect your enemy's thrust, grab the shaft and enjoy.
By the way, we don't even know if thrusts are going to be in the game. If that wasn't the case, no spears. Slashing or blunt polearms (Halberds, glaives and pole war hammers), however, could fit in the triangular system.
Cool. I didnt know that. And maybe I should have realised that, since I had already practiced with a staff in Kung Fu.

However, since we probably won't have the grabbing the shaft thingy and disarms and all that jazz, the go to way to balance long range weapons is making the "faster at long range". That means that with a spear I can make a normal attack from a range where you'd need to lunge then attack. Even though my normal attack is slower than yours (which might be the unrealistic bit), when we add the lunge to your attack, it becomes slower than mine. So, I'm essentially faster from long range and slower up close. As for getting inside, if you parry me, you put me in a time disadvantage: you can act first and will be able to hit me if we both attack as soon as we can. That should put me on the defensive, allowing you to approach, and hit. At the end of this, we'd be at your range, until I do something similar to you (or retreat, etc.).

And if they really want to symbolize the spears speed, they can give it some double-hit attacks. The Warden seems to use one, in the dev video with the HUD. It's just before he gets killed in the very end. They could also give the spear some fast looking execution.

And in another thread we were discussing how spears can fit the Art of Battle. Thrusts would be fine, as long as they're coming from a readable stance.

BTW... your hypothesis about the parries is very similar to mine. What I add is that the type of attack also matters. The strong ones are more extreme. Depending on timing and circumstances, they are either parried very well or badly. The fast ones are parried normally, regardless of timing, unless there is some circumstancial stuff involved, in which case they might be parried badly. And the timing isn't about "normal or very sharp". It's about "very bad or normal".

Weiss_M
07-22-2015, 11:24 PM
OK, now I get what you meant by neutral stance. I've rewatched the Warden's part of the gameplay and I see that the joystick symbol doesn't tilt and he still defends. Don't you think it's more likely that that "neutral stance" has something to do with the configuration of the player (like the "buttons mapping"... I think you say in English (?)... or the sensibility of the joystick in shooters), and happens that the Oni player had that "no tilt - no guard" config?

The Oni has some king of "throw" (?) (I'm kind of short of words today) in which he spins along the back of his enemy to switch positions (maybe when against a wall or fall, or when surrounded). Maybe every Hero has his unique move(s) and they apply this to make them able to grab their enemy's lances and throw them off balance.

Solid_Altair
07-24-2015, 05:54 PM
I don't think it's just a configuration. The Oni doesn't have to shift his feet to change his stance. Visually and realistically he can change it more easily. The Warden needs to shift his feet, though, which matches realism as his technique requires more torque, he throws more from the hip, with that heavier sword of his.

And those throws are guard breaks. The Warden has them, to. Everybody will, most likely. The Oni's back guard brake is about shifting position with the enemy, without actually throwing him. The Warden's is an actual throw, but not straight to his back (it's a little to the side). Both can throw the enemy forward.

Weiss_M
07-24-2015, 10:51 PM
https://youtu.be/sp3NKQlJPuo?t=2m45s
https://youtu.be/sp3NKQlJPuo?t=4m16s
Assuming that every Hero has the same amount of moves, every Hero will have at least 2 guardbreaking moves, not only the Oni.

Stop assuming that each faction will have advantages over the other ones just because Mr. Vandenberghe said that japanese swordsman use more the wrists. By the way, he was comparing HEMA with Kendo, not Kenjutsu. Kendo is the Japanese equivalent to modern fencing: it's a sport and it doesn't represent actual japanese swordmanship. I read somewhere that there's lots of things Kendo doesn't allows fighters to do, when in a fight you must do anything you can to keep you alive. And for everyone's information: Contrary to popular belief, Katanas are quite heavy, just as longswords (like the Warden wields).

Until we get new information we must assume that every Hero behave the same in terms of actual gameplay so we can choose the one we like the most. Remember they made clear that Heroes are not classes, so every Hero should be able to do anything that another one can.

Havemercy87
07-25-2015, 12:31 AM
Thought this was suitable to this discussion.. Longsword Vs Katana.. From what I read, the longsword in general weighed at most 2lbs heavier than the Katana, but each had designs that could be lighter or heavier. Just a nice piece of knowledge to partake..
http://www.thearma.org/essays/longsword-and-katana.html#.VbLI3cvD_qA

Weiss_M
07-25-2015, 01:40 AM
I didn't read the entire article, but I read two or three times that they are have similar weigth. However, the Katana has a quite large weight-per-length ratio. Obviously there are tons of types of longswords and probably the same with katanas, but generally speaking they are a heavy two handed short sabre:
https://youtu.be/gsYbRom3h7U?list=PLMUtS78ZxryO9NKU_ceM-LhcnSnAc2kHV

Havemercy87
07-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Sorry that was a bad wording, I read around on other sites about weights. They didn't go into detail on weights on that link. I wasn't saying they weren't similar, 2lbs is pretty close to me. I was just saying what I found out.

Solid_Altair
07-27-2015, 04:02 AM
Stop assuming that each faction will have advantages over the other ones just because Mr. Vandenberghe said that japanese swordsman use more the wrists.
I'm not assuming it just because of that. It was just the cherry on the cake. The main clues were:

1- The Oni we've seen have a neutral stance.
2- They don't shift their feet to change stance side to side.
3- Wardens we've seen don't have a neutral stance.
4- They have to shift their feet to change stance side to side.

What sounds to you as the simplest explanations? That the AoB system works somewhat differently for these two classes? Or that there is a customizable setting regarding the neutral stances?

And of course different Heroes will be able to do different things. They're not just skins.