PDA

View Full Version : Roman and Greek battle techniques for the Knight Legions

Thodoras10
06-25-2015, 02:19 AM
First of all i would like to say thank you for visiting this thread.

Now lets talk about the game: When i refer to Roman and Greek techniques i also refer to the equipment,armour and weapons these ancient warriors used.

Romans: They used big tower shields that offered extreme armour and protection but deteriorated mobility and movement, and used heavy armour. They used shortswords(small swords) that gave them the edge of mobility they needed to be a formidable force against any opponent and at the same time the shortswords lowered the deterioration their shields and armour caused. If their techniques and equipment are added in the game they will probably be a force of relentless warriors who will march against enemy lines making their presence known, They will be armoured and clad and will strike swift thanks to their shortswords yet not very deadly and with less range when striking. They are also known for firing javelins(pilums as they called them) before they charged, so such an add to them would be excellent.

Greeks: There are many greek techniques that have been used because the ancient greeks were a people divided and very different from one another. The most known greek fighting technique is the phalanx which was also the dominant fighting technique that was used by almost every single ancient greek faction. The phalanx involved figthing as a group but since the game will drive players from eachother in order to take objectives the men of the phalanx will be the first to charge in the fray using medium sized round shields,fairly good armour,swords and spears. What is interesting about them is that they would many times allow the enemy to strike first and then retaliate with fast and lethal strikes. They could also throw their spears and draw swords in order to deal some damage either after or before their enemies charged at them.

That is all i can say by my side for now and i would love to read the replies of other people's opinions on this topic :D thanks for reading guys.

MajorCynik
06-25-2015, 07:23 PM
What about medieval knights techniques?

Thodoras10
06-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Well medieval techniques are surely going to be used i mean we are dealing with medieval knights here.

SerWarhammer
06-27-2015, 10:08 AM
First of all i would like to say thank you for visiting this thread.

Now lets talk about the game: When i refer to Roman and Greek techniques i also refer to the equipment,armour and weapons these ancient warriors used.

Romans: They used big tower shields that offered extreme armour and protection but deteriorated mobility and movement, and used heavy armour. They used shortswords(small swords) that gave them the edge of mobility they needed to be a formidable force against any opponent and at the same time the shortswords lowered the deterioration their shields and armour caused. If their techniques and equipment are added in the game they will probably be a force of relentless warriors who will march against enemy lines making their presence known, They will be armoured and clad and will strike swift thanks to their shortswords yet not very deadly and with less range when striking. They are also known for firing javelins(pilums as they called them) before they charged, so such an add to them would be excellent.

Greeks: There are many greek techniques that have been used because the ancient greeks were a people divided and very different from one another. The most known greek fighting technique is the phalanx which was also the dominant fighting technique that was used by almost every single ancient greek faction. The phalanx involved figthing as a group but since the game will drive players from eachother in order to take objectives the men of the phalanx will be the first to charge in the fray using medium sized round shields,fairly good armour,swords and spears. What is interesting about them is that they would many times allow the enemy to strike first and then retaliate with fast and lethal strikes. They could also throw their spears and draw swords in order to deal some damage either after or before their enemies charged at them.

That is all i can say by my side for now and i would love to read the replies of other people's opinions on this topic :D thanks for reading guys.

Romans and Greeks had a fighting style very focused on the group and on the battle formation. They used shields uniting them in one large formation, advancing against the enemy or waiting for him to arrive. Spartans, and Legionnaires (they are the ones that matter most) actually fought mainly in the group. Only in the movies you see one Spartan or a Legionnaire fight out of his training. Indeed the Legionaries had just a belt in their armor that was used by those who were behind to prevent the warrior on the front line, to rail against the enemy alone pulling it back if he lose his mind in the heat of battle.:mad: So you see these fighters with their true techniques could not be used in a game like ForHonor. Then of course if you could use a legionary armed with Scutum and Pilum and Gladio I go crazy with joy, but against an experienced fighter in 1 vs 1 a Legionnaire and a Spartan would have no hope. (Not counting the weapons in bronze against the iron weapons of the medieval period :cool:)

i'm an italian noob.... my english suck sorry.... i can talk only with my Sword :cool:

Thodoras10
06-27-2015, 02:41 PM
Dont worry about your english mate it was good and man how can a game that will possibly support 12 players top be that effective in teamwork? i mean how will the hoplites or the legionaries work together? so i made up my mind and turned them into solo killing machinces and i mentioned the reason behind my action when i talked about the greeks. And its a game where everyone will use medieval steel and phalanx men wont use bronze they will use their original equipment which will be upgraded by medieval steel.
Also spartans are way too mainstream so i just said phalanx men

btw spartans lived 1000 years before samurais and knights of the medieval period so there is a low amount of likeliness for their existance in the game

SerWarhammer
06-27-2015, 03:04 PM
yu're right. i talk about of spartans because some people start to ask for them in game. phalanx men were very good warriors. if they introduce a "charge power" for some kind of warriors (shield and spear warrior) the "formation-team" can become reality.
maybe in future they put some new warriors (wtf i say!?!? the game isn't still out!!! XD)
oh man, hype is over 9999 ..... if they put new warriors i want the Saracen warriors of the Crusades. :cool: (so i can kill some infidels with my Knight :cool:)

http://www.giostradelsaracinoarezzo.it/images/36/thumb_giugno2013_img_1551.jpg

Thodoras10
06-27-2015, 03:24 PM
You are my new best friend :D

Dienekes12
06-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Romans and Greeks had a fighting style very focused on the group and on the battle formation. They used shields uniting them in one large formation, advancing against the enemy or waiting for him to arrive. Spartans, and Legionnaires (they are the ones that matter most) actually fought mainly in the group. Only in the movies you see one Spartan or a Legionnaire fight out of his training. Indeed the Legionaries had just a belt in their armor that was used by those who were behind to prevent the warrior on the front line, to rail against the enemy alone pulling it back if he lose his mind in the heat of battle.:mad: So you see these fighters with their true techniques could not be used in a game like ForHonor. Then of course if you could use a legionary armed with Scutum and Pilum and Gladio I go crazy with joy, but against an experienced fighter in 1 vs 1 a Legionnaire and a Spartan would have no hope. (Not counting the weapons in bronze against the iron weapons of the medieval period :cool:)

i'm an italian noob.... my english suck sorry.... i can talk only with my Sword :cool:

I mean, if we want to go with 100% historical accuracy, a katana should do about jack all against a guy in plate armor and a viking has about 400-600 years of technological inferiority when compared to the samurai and knights. The goal of the game is realistic-ish, not realism. Like the Modern Warfare or Call of Duty games where, sure the guns may have the right ammo or whatever, but no one in real life can just hide behind door for a few seconds and then completely ignore all the bullets that had just been blasted into their body.

I for one would enjoy a culture that is inspired by the Romans or the Greeks, or Hell, even both at once to get some diversity. However, this game is really the grand exhibition for their new swordfighting system, they chose to focus on 3 factions and they're going to try to get them as perfect as they can. And I support that, make sure your core game is brilliant, and that it has enough options available to be entertaining to a wide fan base (single players, online players, co-opers, character builders, ect.), then if it proves successful enough to franchise, add in new and exciting features, such as new cultures, or new ways to play the game (I personally wouldn't be opposed to adding cavalry, archery, or even formation oriented champions so long as each are given the time and resources necessary to figure out how to get them to work within the framework of the game and be balanced). But that's for after you make that first successful game.

Thodoras10
06-30-2015, 02:42 PM
Well mate that's true but talking about technological enfiriority only raises more questions rather the answers. So what about using those techniques and the same equipment which will be modified to medieval standards?