PDA

View Full Version : Pre-game Lobby Taverns

Dawncleaver
06-23-2015, 07:28 PM
How many times have you muted one of your own teammates and secretly wanted to TK them because of something they said in the pre-game lobby?

This is a suggestion to add a little fun between matches, add camaraderie among teammates, and immerse the player in the world of their faction. Jason Vandenberghe compared the game to shooters by calling it a "FPS with swords". Most FPS have a lobby full of the player's screen-names and that's it. These type of lobbies are dull, so players entertain themselves by screaming over their mics, blasting loud music, talking trash and shouting offensive slurs to get a rise out of someone...just to pass the time. These type of lobbies make the community toxic, and corrupts team camaraderie.

http://www.ambient-mixer.com/images_template/0/8/c/08c1c36bafd370f4bf083907aadaf920_full.jpg

I'd like to suggest the use of a Tavern/Garrison/Izakaya for players to get drunk, make changes to their gear, admire other player's characters, talk strategy, and join in with drinking songs before battle. A small pub setting would help immerse the player in that faction's world. I think co-operative minigames such as "Everyone hit LB so we can all watch our characters sing a drinking song and sway their mugs in the air" are simple tricks to encourage brotherhood. The option to spend this time tweaking your character instead of enjoying the pub will allow less engaged players to just stick to the simpleness of pre-game lobbies, while other players who are comfortable with their loudouts can entertain themselves with short minigames and animations. Overall, I think it will dampen the toxicity that typically comes with arcade-action games and improve team co-operation.

What do you think players? Does this sound like a fun way to spend your time between matches?

What do you think devs? Is there room for something like this to be implemented in the game, or is it too late to add this feature?

-Ink

Oakmantle
06-24-2015, 12:07 AM
I would go as far as to call that ingenius, myself. If For Honor had that, I think I may genuinely get excitement cramps. It would be a super feature, but I also think it is secondary to the other things in development. I wouldn't mind if the game launched with regular lobbies and then patched in this later.

One thing may be that I don't imagine the match-making will necessarily(hopefully not) be as slow as to warrant mini-games, but I would definitely see the appeal of an atleast partially interactable environment where you can see the others in the queue, and perhaps watch them change gear(voyerism) 8D I also think it would be possible, and probably a bit more appropriate, to swap out taverns and izakayas for strategy rooms and siege camp tents. At least that way you have a sense of the immediacy of the battle ahead.

MisterWillow
06-24-2015, 08:17 AM
I would go as far as to call that ingenius, myself.

Seconded.

RakeVillain
06-24-2015, 08:21 PM
How many times have you muted one of your own teammates and secretly wanted to TK them because of something they said in the pre-game lobby?

This is a suggestion to add a little fun between matches, add camaraderie among teammates, and immerse the player in the world of their faction. Jason Vandenberghe compared the game to shooters by calling it a "FPS with swords". Most FPS have a lobby full of the player's screen-names and that's it. These type of lobbies are dull, so players entertain themselves by screaming over their mics, blasting loud music, talking trash and shouting offensive slurs to get a rise out of someone...just to pass the time. These type of lobbies make the community toxic, and corrupts team camaraderie.

http://www.ambient-mixer.com/images_template/0/8/c/08c1c36bafd370f4bf083907aadaf920_full.jpg

I'd like to suggest the use of a Tavern/Garrison/Izakaya for players to get drunk, make changes to their gear, admire other player's characters, talk strategy, and join in with drinking songs before battle. A small pub setting would help immerse the player in that faction's world. I think co-operative minigames such as "Everyone hit LB so we can all watch our characters sing a drinking song and sway their mugs in the air" are simple tricks to encourage brotherhood. The option to spend this time tweaking your character instead of enjoying the pub will allow less engaged players to just stick to the simpleness of pre-game lobbies, while other players who are comfortable with their loudouts can entertain themselves with short minigames and animations. Overall, I think it will dampen the toxicity that typically comes with arcade-action games and improve team co-operation.

What do you think players? Does this sound like a fun way to spend your time between matches?

What do you think devs? Is there room for something like this to be implemented in the game, or is it too late to add this feature?

-Ink

I think it would be awesome, maybe some tavern minigames as well

AFR0_DESPERADO
06-24-2015, 10:46 PM
Sounds awesome, but I really like to see a warm up practice area before games aswell. Like you can challenge people to duels in the lobby while the game starts

Dawncleaver
06-25-2015, 08:43 PM
I also think it would be possible, and probably a bit more appropriate, to swap out taverns and izakayas for strategy rooms and siege camp tents. At least that way you have a sense of the immediacy of the battle ahead.
I agree, this would be a bit more probable, but if there was a short animation that showed the fighters leaving the pub to the sound of war horns, it could be possible to tie those two sceneries together. It could all come down to what genre the Devs are trying to portray, whether it is a more serious and dramatic depiction of war; or something that doesn't take itself too seriously and is just trying to offer some good classic fun. I just think it'd be fun to chug ale between matches and listen to anthemic drinking songs before rushing into battle and decapitating those who dare attack my homeland! The gameplay reminds me of the action from Braveheart, 13 Assassins, & King Arthur (2004), I think something as energetic as this deserves a lobby that maintains that pace while improving team moral and cooperation.

-Ink

Oakmantle
06-27-2015, 09:09 PM
I agree, this would be a bit more probable, but if there was a short animation that showed the fighters leaving the pub to the sound of war horns, it could be possible to tie those two sceneries together. It could all come down to what genre the Devs are trying to portray, whether it is a more serious and dramatic depiction of war; or something that doesn't take itself too seriously and is just trying to offer some good classic fun. I just think it'd be fun to chug ale between matches and listen to anthemic drinking songs before rushing into battle and decapitating those who dare attack my homeland! The gameplay reminds me of the action from Braveheart, 13 Assassins, & King Arthur (2004), I think something as energetic as this deserves a lobby that maintains that pace while improving team moral and cooperation.

-Ink

I agree with you as well d(-.^d) Just providing a slightly more "serious" alternative, so that the anti-fun police doesn't come in and go "Ahw hell naw" xD

SerWarhammer
06-27-2015, 09:19 PM
and if instead of a tavern, the warriors come out from an armory decorated and fitted according to the chosen faction? :cool:

Kinguseless
06-28-2015, 04:39 PM
I think it would be awesome, maybe some tavern minigames as well

If maybe there is a in-game currency system, gambling would be a cool way to kill some time ::D