PDA

View Full Version : Arno's words

AngelDiMaria08
06-23-2015, 06:06 PM
Ideals to easily give way to dogma dogma become fanaticism are better words as maxim of the creed than nothing is true everything is permitted I would like if to here it in Syndicate as the new maxim but I know this will not happen.

SixKeys
06-23-2015, 06:57 PM
How is it better? It fits Arno's situation maybe, but it's not as universal as "nothing is true, everything is permitted".

AngelDiMaria08
06-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Assassins say they seek peace, so Arno's words are more moderate than the fanatic phrase of everything is permitted and doesn't contradict the 1st tenet of the creed (Keep your blade away from the flesh of the innocent) whilst everything is permitted contradict it.

Farlander1991
06-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Outside of the fact that different characters end up with different interpretations of the creed, no it doesn't contradict anything. That's the whole point of the first game narrative arc that 'everything is permitted' doesn't mean 'you can do and kill whoever and whenever you like'. It's also pretty much the point of Edward's arc as well, who as soon as he heard 'everything is permitted' said 'oh, I like the sound of that', totally ignoring the point.

"Our Creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise."

SixKeys
06-23-2015, 09:12 PM
Assassins say they seek peace, so Arno's words are more moderate than the fanatic phrase of everything is permitted and doesn't contradict the 1st tenet of the creed (Keep your blade away from the flesh of the innocent) whilst everything is permitted contradict it.

Yeah, I don't think you actually understand the meaning of the phrase.

Ezio: Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Sofia: That is rather cynical.
Ezio: It would be if it were doctrine. But it is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

I-Like-Pie45
06-23-2015, 10:14 PM
basically arno means that 9/11 was an inside job

AngelDiMaria08
06-24-2015, 11:22 AM
I know exactly what does it mean. But the maxim does not have an appendix to explain it so if Ezio and Arno were good guys who understood the real meaning others will not and may use it as an excuse to do anything

SixKeys
06-24-2015, 12:05 PM
I know exactly what does it mean. But the maxim does not have an appendix to explain it so if Ezio and Arno were good guys who understood the real meaning others will not and may use it as an excuse to do anything

Anyone who joins the assassins get the meaning explained to them eventually. Those who don't understand the creed cannot live by it and are therefore unfit to be assassins.

AngelDiMaria08
06-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Anyone who joins the assassins get the meaning explained to them eventually. Those who don't understand the creed cannot live by it and are therefore unfit to be assassins.

That was not the case with Bellec

SixKeys
06-24-2015, 10:23 PM
That was not the case with Bellec

Not true. Bellec understood the Creed, he just didn't believe peace between Templars and assassins was possible or desirable. His actions are totally compatible with a creed that says men should not blindly believe in dogma and must take responsibility for their own actions. That's exactly what Bellec did. He rejected Mirabeau's authority (which he saw as dogma) and accepted his fate in Arno's hands at the end instead of compromising his beliefs. In the database it even says to this day modern assassins are still split on whether Bellec was right or wrong in doing what he did.