PDA

View Full Version : Something unnecessary, but would probably go a long way for immersion.

THE_JOKE_KING33
06-23-2015, 03:05 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if each faction spoke in their own languages?

Knights=Old English
Vikings=Scandinavian languages
Samurai=Japanese

Would be pretty cool, but would probably shoot the development cost through the god**** roof depending on how much talking there is.

MisterWillow
06-23-2015, 03:14 AM
I support this.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 03:31 AM

Knights=Old English
Samurai=Japanese

Would be pretty cool, but would probably shoot the development cost through the god**** roof depending on how much talking there is.

There will likely be chants and battlecrys in their own language but campaign mode will almost certainly be in English so you can understand it

Kenji_Hattori
06-23-2015, 05:17 AM
As long as they have subtitles so those who cannot understand can know what is said, this is a great idea. I would love to hear them talk in their native tongue.

SnorriUlversson
06-23-2015, 08:37 AM
This would be great!

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 09:22 AM
As long as they have subtitles so those who cannot understand can know what is said, this is a great idea. I would love to hear them talk in their native tongue.
It would be okay if the other factions your not playing as speak their own language but I think it would hurt immersion if your own character and allies speak a language nobody understands.

Fatal-Feit
06-23-2015, 01:31 PM
I support this.

i support this as well. like the weather effects idea, this too will go a long way of improving player immersion

ze_topazio
06-23-2015, 06:55 PM
Suggesting Knights only existed in England. :p

THE_JOKE_KING33
06-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Suggesting Knights only existed in England. :p

Only the knights that mattered. :rolleyes:

Nah j/k, I really only said Old English because that's the type of talking people imagine when they think of knights (and medieval times in general).

Also, yeah i was expecting subtitles to be turned on by default when I suggested this (probably should've said that in the OP, though).

M.Sword.Y.Face
06-23-2015, 07:13 PM
I suppose it should not cost as much as you would think given the globalization of people.

CG_HouseVincent
06-23-2015, 07:37 PM
This would be an awesome detail that could be added to the game, however, it may take a lot of resources from other departments and may take a lot of time to implement.

MathiasCB
06-23-2015, 08:22 PM
OH gosh darn, yes please!:cool:

RakeVillain
06-24-2015, 08:17 PM

Knights=Old English
Samurai=Japanese

I'd find it annoying constantly hearing something I don't understand.

cytovag69
06-24-2015, 08:22 PM
I'd find it annoying constantly hearing something I don't understand.

I agree I think it would hurt immersion if there is no English anywhere.

supabeatsbat
06-24-2015, 10:13 PM

Knights=Old English
Samurai=Japanese

Would be absolutely awesome!:D

Dead1y-Derri
06-24-2015, 11:03 PM
I think if they took cues from what Assassins Creed does and do a combo of English/Whatever language they speak. For example a common theme in Assassins Creed 2, Brotherhood and Revelations was Ezio who was Italian spoke mostly in English but had certain phrases, chants and insults in their native language and also spoke some lines in Italian.

I think it might hurt the game if it was all in one specific language and I think relying on subtitles, while more than doable, can be difficult as you need to concentrate on what's going on the screen in the heart of battle and not paying attention specifically to subtitles.

cytovag69
06-24-2015, 11:21 PM
I think if they took cues from what Assassins Creed does and do a combo of English/Whatever language they speak. For example a common theme in Assassins Creed 2, Brotherhood and Revelations was Ezio who was Italian spoke mostly in English but had certain phrases, chants and insults in their native language and also spoke some lines in Italian.

I think it might hurt the game if it was all in one specific language and I think relying on subtitles, while more than doable, can be difficult as you need to concentrate on what's going on the screen in the heart of battle and not paying attention specifically to subtitles.

That be perfect certainly what they are going to do these are the same guys or at least some of them are.

Fatal-Feit
06-25-2015, 03:27 PM
I agree I think it would hurt immersion if there is no English anywhere.

On the contrary, I think it will enhance the immersion. It would make the game feel more real and authentic, IMO.

cytovag69
06-25-2015, 05:19 PM
On the contrary, I think it will enhance the immersion. It would make the game feel more real and authentic, IMO.

Wouldn't it suck if you're in the middle of a battle and you have to take your eyes off the opponent to read some subtitles?

Dead1y-Derri
06-25-2015, 05:27 PM

I think it would help immersion to some degree but then I think it would hurt gameplay if you constantly had to take your focus off of the battle to read subtitles. I think doing what the Assassin's Creed games do is would be so much better as then the main dialogue would be in English for important bits but then you'd have specific phrases, chants and insults in their native tongue and after awhile you'd learn what those were and it would help with immersion.

Fatal-Feit
06-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Wouldn't it suck if you're in the middle of a battle and you have to take your eyes off the opponent to read some subtitles?

Judging by the nature of the game, subtitles aren't really necessary. The UI is shows everything.

I think it would help immersion to some degree but then I think it would hurt gameplay if you constantly had to take your focus off of the battle to read subtitles. I think doing what the Assassin's Creed games do is would be so much better as then the main dialogue would be in English for important bits but then you'd have specific phrases, chants and insults in their native tongue and after awhile you'd learn what those were and it would help with immersion.

As I've said to cytovag69, I don't believe subtitles are needed. Going by the gameplay demos they've shown, there's really no impacting dialogue players need to hear. The UI already shows everything players need to know about the battlefield.

Regarding your AC idea, I'm up for that as well, assuming the accents are actually good and appropriate this time. AC2-R had awful Italian accents and even Roger Craig Smith himself admits to its atrociousness. And don't even get me started on Rogue.

cytovag69
06-25-2015, 09:01 PM
Judging by the nature of the game, subtitles aren't really necessary. The UI is shows everything.

As I've said to cytovag69, I don't believe subtitles are needed. Going by the gameplay demos they've shown, there's really no impacting dialogue players need to hear. The UI already shows everything players need to know about the battlefield.

Regarding your AC idea, I'm up for that as well, assuming the accents are actually good and appropriate this time. AC2-R had awful Italian accents and even Roger Craig Smith himself admits to its atrociousness. And don't even get me started on Rogue.

I know in multiplayer it wouldn't matter but its a hole different story for campaign mode

MisterWillow
12-01-2015, 07:47 AM
I know in multiplayer it wouldn't matter but its a hole different story for campaign mode

What if whatever faction you're playing as speaks English (or whatever your selected main language is), but whatever faction you're fighting speaks in their native language, unless it's necessary for the plot, such as a negotiation scene.

If you've watched the show Vikings, they do this transition pretty well. As a vague example, the Vikings are at a stare-down with some Saxons. The Viking leader knows some Saxon language, but the rest do not, and the Saxons don't know Norse language. The Saxon leader asks the Vikings what they want---you hear this in Saxon---one of the Vikings asks their leader what he said, and the leader tells him---you hear this in English---the Saxon leader asks the Viking what his comrade said, and the Viking tells him---you hear this in English---the Saxon asks him how he knows their language, the Viking tells him he was taught---again, in English---the Saxon asks again what he wants, and the Viking tells him he wants to see their king---again, in English---one of the Vikings then says something in Norse, the Viking leader replies in Norse; then the Saxon asks him what they're talking about, and the Viking tells him 'he doesn't trust you', and the Saxon asks him if everything is okay---in English---the Viking leader tells his comrade to calm down, that he has everything under control. And so on, and so forth, etc. etc.

I'd prefer this to both subtitles (unless absolutely necessary) and having English play all the way through. I agree with Fatal, that it would greatly increase immersion.

coma987
12-01-2015, 08:46 AM
The heroes have their own personalities. For now we don't know as the oni's seem to be silenced except battle noises. Probably because they are supposed to be mysterious. I feel like this will happen anyway but if not I support this to happen.

dAijow
12-01-2015, 10:10 AM
The Vikings series don't speak norse. It's a made up language. Floki sometimes uses Swedish words, but that's because he's a Swede himself. Most of the time he also uses the made up language.

If they're going to give each faction their own language, then please let it be real, authentic Old Norse. It would be awesome and just as TS said, very immersive.

MisterWillow
12-01-2015, 11:53 AM
The Vikings series don't speak norse. It's a made up language. Floki sometimes uses Swedish words, but that's because he's a Swede himself. Most of the time he also uses the made up language.

If they're going to give each faction their own language, then please let it be real, authentic Old Norse. It would be awesome and just as TS said, very immersive.

From what I understand, authentic Old Norse is difficult to reconstruct accurately, since it isn't one language (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Norse), split between three dialects at the time, and further changing over time to encompass five or more different modern languages (with modern Icelandic changing the least), and influencing even more than that. The show does work with linguists (http://www.history.com/shows/vikings/articles/qa-poll-moussoulides), including Erika Sigudson (http://hi.academia.edu/ErikaSigurdson) from the University of Iceland to get as best an approximation as they can, though, so it isn't exactly made up.

dAijow
12-01-2015, 05:27 PM
From what I understand, authentic Old Norse is difficult to reconstruct accurately, since it isn't one language (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Norse), split between three dialects at the time, and further changing over time to encompass five or more different modern languages (with modern Icelandic changing the least), and influencing even more than that. The show does work with linguists (http://www.history.com/shows/vikings/articles/qa-poll-moussoulides), including Erika Sigudson (http://hi.academia.edu/ErikaSigurdson) from the University of Iceland to get as best an approximation as they can, though, so it isn't exactly made up.
Wow, really? I have a hard time believing that.

Icelandic originates from Old Norse, but except the script, they have few things in common. As a Swede, even I can understand about 50-80% of spoken and written Old Norse (not script ofcourse). I can't understand a sentence they speak in Vikings, to me it sounds like random babbling. Expect when Flooki tries it out, from time to time.

Check out "Närpesdialekt", it's said to be the closest thing to Old Norse today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzz5d26u0yU
Närpes. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%A4rpes)

premiumart
12-01-2015, 06:19 PM

Knights=Old English

Use German sword fighting techniques-> speak english........

XD

Ok to be fair there were probably more than one technique per country but still.

MisterWillow
12-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Wow, really? I have a hard time believing that.

Icelandic originates from Old Norse, but except the script, they have few things in common. As a Swede, even I can understand about 50-80% of spoken and written Old Norse (not script ofcourse). I can't understand a sentence they speak in Vikings, to me it sounds like random babbling. Expect when Flooki tries it out, from time to time.

I can only tell you what others have said concerning the matter. As an American who only speaks English (with a limited understanding of French), it all sounds like gibberish to me. :p

Regardless, I did a quick search and couldn't find anyone else claiming the language the Vikings in the show speak is made up or nonsense. There was this guy (http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/vikings-tv-show-on-history-channel.2001625/#post-31057816) who says it's a combination of Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish, but he also says he can understand everything they're saying. I also found this post (https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-language-that-the-people-in-the-Vikings-TV-show-speak-when-they-pretend-to-use-their-native-tongue-Is-it-an-actual-Old-Norse-Icelandic-Norwegian-Danish-or-Swedish) that claims it's Norse. It's from a 'Yahoo answers' sort of site, so they're probably reiterating what information was given in the show's Q&A I linked above, but further down someone gives a link to an article written by Kate Wiles of Leeds University, who does the Old English translations for the show. Unfortunately, the site appears to be down (at least on my end), but then I found a post over in this forum (http://skarsgard.yuku.com/reply/74714/The-Vikings-Show-Overview-and-Photos#reply-74714) that seems to have copy/pasted the entire article, which confirms it's Sigurdson doing the translations for Norse.

So I don't know.:confused:

Use German sword fighting techniques-> speak english........

XD

Ok to be fair there were probably more than one technique per country but still.

The term 'German Longsword Technique' or 'German School of Fencing' comes from the fact that most European sword fighting techniques developed in a region of southern Germany between the 14th and 17th centuries and was spread throughout the Holy Roman Empire. When you get into the Renaissance and the advent of rapiers, most would be taught the 'Italian School of Fencing' simply because that's where most of the technique was developed.

It's sort of like how people learn Kenjutsu (what could be considered the 'Japanese School of Fencing' for the sake of this discussion) without ever having been to Japan (which might be a bad analogy, since Kenjutsu is, if I'm not mistaken, an umbrella term encompassing a few different schools). It's that same sort of thing, but because southern Germany is surrounded by the rest of Europe information could travel very quickly.

I know this isn't a historical game in a strict historical sense, but my mention of the Roman Empire makes me think it would be more... accurate (for lack of a better word) for the Legion to speak Latin.

premiumart
12-03-2015, 10:07 PM
The term 'German Longsword Technique' or 'German School of Fencing' comes from the fact that most European sword fighting techniques developed in a region of southern Germany between the 14th and 17th centuries and was spread throughout the Holy Roman Empire. When you get into the Renaissance and the advent of rapiers, most would be taught the 'Italian School of Fencing' simply because that's where most of the technique was developed.

It's sort of like how people learn Kenjutsu (what could be considered the 'Japanese School of Fencing' for the sake of this discussion) without ever having been to Japan (which might be a bad analogy, since Kenjutsu is, if I'm not mistaken, an umbrella term encompassing a few different schools). It's that same sort of thing, but because southern Germany is surrounded by the rest of Europe information could travel very quickly.

I know this isn't a historical game in a strict historical sense, but my mention of the Roman Empire makes me think it would be more... accurate (for lack of a better word) for the Legion to speak Latin.

actually it would make sense if they would speak a fictional language since the setting is fictional xD

Also call it " Holy roman empire of the german nation" because it sounds cooler (and because im german );) just kidding