PDA

View Full Version : How to overclock?????

reinhold_fc
06-12-2004, 05:46 PM
i was thinking in overclock my FX 5200, but i dont know how to do it, i am having about 52-53ºc (celsius) without overclocking, and i dont know if it will be different or boost my video card doing this, if it does, can anyone tell me detailed how tooverclock the VGA???? please?

reinhold_fc
06-12-2004, 05:46 PM
i was thinking in overclock my FX 5200, but i dont know how to do it, i am having about 52-53ºc (celsius) without overclocking, and i dont know if it will be different or boost my video card doing this, if it does, can anyone tell me detailed how tooverclock the VGA???? please?

Carver559
06-12-2004, 08:55 PM
ok, ill walk you through it. The fact that you have a temp monitor is a plus, you can directly see whats safe and whats not. The first thing that you need to do is go to www.guru3d.com (http://www.guru3d.com) and download either one of these two programs. 1 Coolbits, which is extremely easy to use and just adds a key to your registry to open up a hidden Nvidia tweaking tool and 2 Riva tuner, at any rate you can search these and you can select nvidia drivers and overclocking tools on the site, and they will explain what each tool is for and what is supported.
On overclocking... It is a general principle that I stick to that I never allow my card above 72c under full load as this can shorten the life of the card and produce graphical glitches. Another genral rule to follow is to increase your core clock speed and the memory speed by 1 or 2 mz each time, testing as you go. By doing this, you are able to get the absolute most out of your card.
The only thing is... you have a 5200 and...im sorry to say, that card is not really a winner. It will not do great with farcry or any next-gen game because it is not fully dirctx9 compatible. In this case, I do not know how much of a performance increase you would see by overclocking. I would try to get a geforce 5900xt or even save my money for a next-gen card like the 6800 and wait for the price to go down.
The one thaing that would most likely yield a LARGE performance increase is switching to OPENGL. Nvidia cards are notoriously good at running opengl and do it exeedingly well. Good Luck!!

reinhold_fc
06-13-2004, 06:57 AM
i have the rive tunner, and i change the core clocking and the other one, i dont remember what is its name, and i put it at the max that has no warning sign "!", well now i can set to high in effects, and play in paradise render and in better performance that without the overlclocking and my temperature has increased up to 55ºc, is this normal or dangerous???

Carver559
06-13-2004, 02:02 PM
55c is great under full load for a overclock card. The Riva Tuner does not have a warning, how much did you overclock it?

reinhold_fc
06-13-2004, 02:31 PM
i increased 250-300 and 450-500, and it is an FX 5200, but the processor is increasing its temperature too, around 52-53ºCelsius

demonx5584
06-13-2004, 07:28 PM
That's not bad for either the processor or v-card for temperature settings. If you keep your card overclocked, always check the temperatures from time to time. If it ever gets 70+ Celsius underclock it for awhile and/or let your computer idle until the temperatures drop. 70+ temperatures won't necessarily melt/blow up anything, but it's to be on the safe side.