PDA

View Full Version : Horses? Shields?

S_JL33
06-21-2015, 11:39 PM
Never normally a forum type of person. But this game has been what I've been waiting for ever since the playstation was invented.

I've always had a vision there would be a game whereby both factions (even all three) would line up in an open field (castle behind the enemy lines defence) and charge at one another in a full blown large scale battle.

Although the e3 demo didn't demonstrate the above - I'm still amazed at the game so far. Even the 4v4; the immersive unique combat system and the way in which a personal duel can be seperate to the on going battle. Love it !

What do you guys feel about horses in the game? Personally I would love to be able to gallop across the field hacking and slashing my enemy. Or alternatively take out a horse to dismantle an online opponent. I only think that the devs could accommodate this if the battles were on a larger scale?

My next point addresses the trailer. It seems as though the vikings definately have a shield to use in battle aswell as all of the AI. Would really like to see how this is used in combat to defend. I understand that Samurais rarely used shields but surely it was pivotal for a knight to fight with a shield. Do you think this is subject to player progression and customisation? Would be pretty cool to execute someone you've taken to the floor with your shield being the final blow!

Also will there be blood? In an execution the knight chopped off the Samurais head. Do you think they will add in game limb damage?

Only just joined this forum. So hello to all. See you on the battlefield.

THE_JOKE_KING33
06-22-2015, 12:00 AM
I would HOPE that the Knight's have at least one class that carries a sword and shield. It'd be really weird if they didn't.

TrikRisk
06-22-2015, 12:01 AM
First things first, i'm the same: no forum type of guy but this game is my dream game since day one. it's really what everyone wants to play but no one has created. anway, shields are confirmed but that type of gameplay is for Chivalry, another game. this game is about the tension of the battlefield, the up-close and personal with the enemy, the DUEL. so i dont think they will add horses(?) maybe they will, i dunno but its about duels

TrikRisk
06-22-2015, 12:06 AM
I would HOPE that the Knight's have at least one class that carries a sword and shield. It'd be really weird if they didn't.

they have a class that carries a shield and a chained mace so yeah, i think they will have sword and shield.

GoldenBoy9999
06-22-2015, 05:04 AM
Have you heard of Mount and Blade: Warband? Maybe it's not what you're looking for, but it fits most of your points. "Mount" is in the title of the game so horse combat is a major part of it. From what I've gathered on For Honor, the meat of the gameplay is 1 on 1 tense sword battles or maybe 2 on 2. I may be wrong, but horses don't seem to fit into this gameplay formula. While For Honor's battles look to be more focused, Mount and Blade's battles feature castle sieges ( where each team defends their own castle while attacking the other, like you mentioned) and support for up to 250 players for a large scale battle. Players can have separate roles too, so if you wanted to take a break from melee combat, you could use a bow and take out enemies from afar with fellow archers.

I wouldn't be posting this, but when I saw the trailer for this game I just thought "Mount and Blade" and your 2nd paragraph fits the description of Mount and Blade almost perfectly. While I appreciate For Honor's attention to detail on individual swords and good graphics, it seems more like a modern MP focused battle arena whereas Mount and Blade is more of a recreation of a traditional full scale medieval battle. I hope this helps. :)

Fatal-Feit
06-22-2015, 05:24 AM
Welcome to the forums, warrior!

S_JL33
06-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Have you heard of Mount and Blade: Warband? Maybe it's not what you're looking for, but it fits most of your points. "Mount" is in the title of the game so horse combat is a major part of it. From what I've gathered on For Honor, the meat of the gameplay is 1 on 1 tense sword battles or maybe 2 on 2. I may be wrong, but horses don't seem to fit into this gameplay formula. While For Honor's battles look to be more focused, Mount and Blade's battles feature castle sieges ( where each team defends their own castle while attacking the other, like you mentioned) and support for up to 250 players for a large scale battle. Players can have separate roles too, so if you wanted to take a break from melee combat, you could use a bow and take out enemies from afar with fellow archers.

I wouldn't be posting this, but when I saw the trailer for this game I just thought "Mount and Blade" and your 2nd paragraph fits the description of Mount and Blade almost perfectly. While I appreciate For Honor's attention to detail on individual swords and good graphics, it seems more like a modern MP focused battle arena whereas Mount and Blade is more of a recreation of a traditional full scale medieval battle. I hope this helps. :)

In all honesty I have only heard of Mount and Blade from the various comments on YouTube and some deliberation on this forum. Something I will definately have a look out - apparently there is a new one coming out? And yeah totally agree with you regarding the formula in relation to horses. Will have to wait and see...

S_JL33
06-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Welcome to the forums, warrior!

Cheers buddy ! The excitement is real !

MajorCynik
06-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Horses? No thanks. I don't think that would fit very well in here and would be a waste of resources. I want to fight on the ground, toe-to-toe. horses would add an unnecessary dimension to the game. Unless there's a cavalry charge but I wouldn't want to see that either. Concentrate on the system as it is. It will be awesome!

Shields are already present too. Just not acting in the manner some are expecting, like a 'raise-shield' button. That's not how the system works, check the video's again. Blocking is a case of having a matching guard stance with your opponent.

S_JL33
06-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Horses? No thanks. I don't think that would fit very well in here and would be a waste of resources. I want to fight on the ground, toe-to-toe. horses would add an unnecessary dimension to the game. Unless there's a cavalry charge but I wouldn't want to see that either. Concentrate on the system as it is. It will be awesome!

Shields are already present too. Just not acting in the manner some are expecting, like a 'raise-shield' button. That's not how the system works, check the video's again. Blocking is a case of having a matching guard stance with your opponent.

Fair point - I just feel that they could incorporate a large scale mode. Or for the story have horses to charge or roam. Regarding the shield we haven't seen actual player combat with a shield. I know the viking has one. Would like to see who this works on battle. Also weather shields are across all factions.

MajorCynik
06-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Fair point - I just feel that they could incorporate a large scale mode. Or for the story have horses to charge or roam. Regarding the shield we haven't seen actual player combat with a shield. I know the viking has one. Would like to see who this works on battle. Also weather shields are across all factions.
OK. Large scale mode it would maybe be do-able but It's just not my preference ;) I realy liked the look of the gameplay as it has been shown so far.

Fair point about the shields too. you're right, no real footage of gameplay with shields yet. Guess we'll have to be a little more patient. As hard as it is! :D

Regarding shields, my main concern is that we do not have, like I mention, a raise-shield button or the like. From what I've seen and understand so far this would really gimp the battle system. I can imagine a situation where peeps are only walking around hiding behind a shield and that would be pants!

Hey SJ, let's be friends, I've sent a request. For Honour! :)