PDA

View Full Version : New E3 interview with Jeffrey Yohalem (AC Syndicate Lead Writer)

loomer979
06-21-2015, 11:18 PM
Just want to give a warning that there's not a whole lot Jeffrey can talk about with Syndicate right now, and for various reasons we kept this as a more of a general "Jeffrey Yohalem interview" than an "AC Syndicate interview". You can skip the first 7 minutes if you're only interested in ACS. That being said, hope you all enjoy the interview!

Timestamps (clickable in the video description):
0:00 - Chatting about VR and E3
7:30 - The structure of the ACS writing team and Corey's role
12:35 - Modern day
15:44 - Jacob and Evie's motivations?
17:30 - Returning characters in the modern day?
18:05 - Hidden things for players to discover?
19:38 - Any new pieces of eden?
19:55 - Ev(i)e

Stay tuned tomorrow for a very special surprise interview from E3...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAOiB46-8nU

SixKeys
06-21-2015, 11:45 PM
Great stuff! I always enjoy listening to Jeffrey, even if it's not strictly AC, because he seems so passionate about storytelling and games in general. :)

frodrigues55
06-21-2015, 11:56 PM
There's totally a relation between Evie and Eve!

Other than that, it was good talk on how some things work but yeah, he pretty much couldn't say a lot lol. His ideas were fun but you can't really say that will work as intended in the end.

What else did he do besides the lore part of the story in the past?

crusader_prophet
06-22-2015, 01:26 AM
Good video...gave me some peace about the declining narrative of the game whether modern day or synchronized time-set. But I am still taking this with quite a good amount of salt and going to be skeptical. I wish the following features could become a part of AC games -

A mind-blowing story with multiple peaks and troughs in narrative and an amazing cliffhanger that will leave players, critics and developers in awe and begging for more. Modern day HAS to become more relevant and impressive narrative. Remember the first feeling when a hooded figure overlooking the trials and disappeared with the chime of a bell and moved through the crowds seamlessly to unleash his hidden blade's fury on the templars? THAT...We need THAT bone chilling ambiance of unexpected results and narrative.
Make side missions tied to the main narrative and end-game outcome. Get rid of collectibles with no purpose. Decisions should impact final game outcome (in both significant and subtle ways).
Instill deep skill trees, increasingly difficult enemies/gameplay/crafting with story progression and better rewards. But better rewards should not make defeating the game easy.
AVOID REPETITIVENESS in mission design. AC Rogue brought a lot of variety in mission design !!!
DO NOT CHANGE TO A NEW CHARACTER FOR NEXT GAME!!! MAKE A TRILOGY! People needs to fall in love with the characters and grow emotional relationship like Altair and Ezio.

PedroAntonio2
06-22-2015, 01:35 AM
They are trying to create hype, talking about the characters being rich in story and personality. I don't know...I can't treat Ubisoft anymore. I remember when they teased about ACU's Modern Day having a twist and then...nothing. I just want a great storyline, with incredible main characters and a good modern-day.

Matknapers18
06-22-2015, 01:40 AM
Awesome job Loomer! :D

And wow, Jeffrey's response regarding Jacob and Evie's motivations was really impressive. And certainly promising. Refusing to sum up a character's story arc in a single word as it would not fully reflect their complexity and development is a very respectful move. Whenever writers had been asked this question before they would simply respond with 'Revenge' or 'Redemption'. They would never state that these characters are intricate and their motivations can be interpreted in many ways. They would just chuck out a one word tagline that fully represents how basic and lucid these character arcs really are. Darby included. I'm not strictly saying thats wrong, they are just answering the question after all, but its nice to see Jeffrey really respect these characters.

If what Jeffrey says is true, that these are three-dimensional characters that undergo drastic development, then this story could be great. The way he talks about the complex relationship between Evie and Jacob is very encouraging. Although his response to the Modern day questions wasn't exactly reassuring. He didn't seem very enthusiastic.

SixKeys
06-22-2015, 02:48 AM
A mind-blowing story with multiple peaks and troughs in narrative and an amazing cliffhanger that will leave players, critics and developers in awe and begging for more.

Gasp! So simple! Why haven't they thought of that before?? :rolleyes:

AVOID REPETITIVENESS in mission design. AC Rogue brought a lot of variety in mission design !!!
DO NOT CHANGE TO A NEW CHARACTER FOR NEXT GAME!!! MAKE A TRILOGY! People needs to fall in love with the characters and grow emotional relationship like Altair and Ezio.

How did Rogue bring a lot of variety in mission design? Every mission type in that game was ripped straight from Black Flag.

I prefer the "one assassin, one time period" approach. They brought Haytham, Adewale and Achilles back in Rogue and I didn't fall in love with them any more than before. In fact, I hated how they were portrayed in that game.

Namikaze_17
06-22-2015, 03:13 AM
I really hope they don't go with the "Evie is tied to Eve" nonsense; that would just be lame.

But them being said to be three-dimensional characters with a serious arc does sound interesting. :)

I-Like-Pie45
06-22-2015, 04:03 AM
They are trying to create hype, talking about the characters being rich in story and personality. I don't know...I can't treat Ubisoft anymore. I remember when they teased about ACU's Modern Day having a twist and then...nothing. I just want a great storyline, with incredible main characters and a good modern-day.
there was a twist

everything you did was a waste of time

it was actually a superb metaphor for all the time you've spent playing video games

Sorrosyss
06-22-2015, 08:20 AM
I really hope they don't go with the "Evie is tied to Eve" nonsense; that would just be lame.

But them being said to be three-dimensional characters with a serious arc does sound interesting. :)

See, I'm the opposite on this. I want the connection to Eve, as she's been a franchise long name drop without much payoff, other than being the 'saviour'. I always felt the storytelling was best when the modern day, historical, and First Civ were more interconnected. Kinda like Brotherhood. Which is good, as that was Jeffrey's work.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for strong character arcs. But if there is the opportunity at the same time to further expand the three timelines to a higher degree than the most recent games, I'd dearly love to see it.

Namikaze_17
06-22-2015, 08:56 AM
See, I'm the opposite on this. I want the connection to Eve, as she's been a franchise long name drop without much payoff, other than being the 'saviour'. I always felt the storytelling was best when the modern day, historical, and First Civ were more interconnected. Kinda like Brotherhood. Which is good, as that was Jeffrey's work.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for strong character arcs. But if there is the opportunity at the same time to further expand the three timelines to a higher degree than the most recent games, I'd dearly love to see it.

You see, it wouldn't really feel interconnected but more like a cheap way to make the character seem "relevant". Evie having a connection to Eve sounds forced as hell and I wouldn't like it as I fear it would turn into another reason for her existing as people already give her flak because of the Unity fiasco last year. She only has 25%, and I rather that be spent on a decent character arc with actual depth and development than a plot device for something that should've been developed and wrapped up long ago.

I know how you feel, but I personally just don't see it paying off.

The_Kiwi_
06-22-2015, 09:30 AM

The reason why Evie = Eve would be stupid is just how obvious it is
"Wow, an Eve sage named Evie? What are the odds!"
It would be like naming an Adam sage "Addam"

Sorrosyss
06-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Well, the 25% figure that has been floating around is a bit of a worry on that front too. As you say Nami have they much time for any character development at all? :( Perhaps it is something that may play out into the inevitable DLC.

As for the name, kiwi, you have a point on the laziness in naming. It would have likely played out better and been more of a surprise, if she had a completely different name. But I suppose from Ubi's viewpoint they perhaps wanted to build up speculation regarding the name. I guess on that front they have had some success.

harsab
06-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Ha, that was me who asked about the Eve/Evie question in the end!

Thank you Loomer for asking my question!

Also, it seemed as if he almost said yes there is but then quickly shut himself down.

VERY INTERESTING!

crusader_prophet
06-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Gasp! So simple! Why haven't they thought of that before?? :rolleyes:

That's why we have been seeing :rolleyes: level narrative since AC Revelations.

How did Rogue bring a lot of variety in mission design? Every mission type in that game was ripped straight from Black Flag.

I prefer the "one assassin, one time period" approach. They brought Haytham, Adewale and Achilles back in Rogue and I didn't fall in love with them any more than before. In fact, I hated how they were portrayed in that game.

one assassin, one time period does not necessarily translate to one assassin, one game. I am not saying there needs to be a trilogy or quadlogy or pentlogy (yeah they are not real terms), my point is to bring closure in a reasonable pace to one story/assassin. Achilles, Haytham, Adewale were never main protagonists.

AC Rogue is brilliant because of Shay and the potential in his narrative that was never told and the versatility in assassination approach they brought in the game. Not saying it was perfect. And the gameplay for each story missions were different. They were similar to Black Flag yes but implemented differently to provide a sense of versatility.

Xstantin
06-22-2015, 03:45 PM
AC Rogue is brilliant because of Shay and the potential in his narrative that was never told and the versatility in assassination approach they brought in the game. Not saying it was perfect. And the gameplay for each story missions were different. They were similar to Black Flag yes but implemented differently to provide a sense of versatility.

I don't think versatility is a problem since Unity was more open than that. Rogue did really nothing new imo.

harsab
06-22-2015, 04:41 PM
Imagine Evie gets flashbacks of Eve. That would be incredible.

jasper2308
06-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Imagine Evie gets flashbacks of Eve. That would be incredible.

Incredibly cliché, you mean :rolleyes:

I'd rather Evie and Eve be kept seperate - as others have said, I'd prefer Evie to have her own character arc, rather than being a plot device for some obscure plot thread. I'm kind of doubting they'd be able to pull off both what with the limited amount of time we'll spend with her. Can we have a bait-and-switch and have Jacob be the one with the connection to Eve instead? Might lend the "brash charming rogue" archetype some desperately needed depth.

RVSage
06-22-2015, 07:42 PM
With Corey May back.. My hopes for the story line has increased... He is the lead writer of first 3 AC games.. Story wise those 3 are the best ACs ever... :D

The_Kiwi_
06-22-2015, 11:56 PM
With Corey May back.. My hopes for the story line has increased... He is the lead writer of first 3 AC games.. Story wise those 3 are the best ACs ever... :D

Ew, 2 and Brotherhood
I'd prefer the writer(s) for Revelations and Black Flag to return

Namikaze_17
06-23-2015, 12:05 AM
I'd prefer the writer(s) for Revelations and Black Flag to return

Darby Mcdevitt

The_Kiwi_
06-23-2015, 12:36 AM
Darby Mcdevitt

Shhhh don't say his name
It might attract unsavoury creatures

Namikaze_17