PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Syndicate Composer? Jesper Kyd?

king-hailz
06-21-2015, 10:04 AM
When I first saw the e3 game play demo, the only thing that caught my attention was the soundtrack at the end. It sounded really amazing to me. The melody followed by the mysterious angelic voices. I immediately though it may be Jesper Kyd. I then saw Loomers interview where MAC says it's somebody that he finds an honour to work with and that it's going to have an announcement.

Well this tells us its a big deal... If they're going to announce it, it's gotta be someone who's either really famous or means a lot to the fans! I was a bit confused with the honour thing because I thought that thus guy would have worked with him before... I think the only person who is big enough to have an announcement is either Jesper Kyd or Hans Zimmer. This doesn't sound like Hans Zimmer at all! (I don't like Hans Zimmer anyway)...

I then saw game play of someone playing the demo at e3, suddenly the music starts and it's a women's voice similar to that of AC2????

I am about 75% sure it's Jesper Kyd!

Here is the video... The music starts at 8:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mJ-D2epSwFQ&app=desktop

Sorrosyss
06-21-2015, 12:47 PM
I'll admit that there is a similarity in the choral work to Kyd's work on AC2. The trouble is any composer that did come to the series would be expected to take tropes from what came before.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kyd, and Balfe. I'd be overjoyed with either. But the interview gave me the impression that it is someone new to the series. Remember Balfe works with Hans Zimmer quite a lot, so there is a link there maybe. They both worked on Beyond, so its not impossible that Zimmer could do another game. And that would be an honour, as the guy is so highly in demand by Hollywood and the like. Guess we'll see, excited to find out either way.

Shahkulu101
06-21-2015, 02:59 PM
It's not Kyd, the composer is from London. As revealed in an interview.

VoXngola
06-21-2015, 03:03 PM
I thought it was Jesper too at first, but to be honest, the rest of the soundtrack that you can hear in the demo sounds nothing like Jesper. Only the part with the woman singing in the background reminded me a little of him, the fight, chase and stealth music sound nothing like Jesper.

Then I thought that maybe we'll get 2 composers like in Revelations again, Jesper doing 1 part and the other doing the second part, but judging by loomer's interview it's just 1 guy.

And regarding the Jesper-like song, it could very well be the new composer just taking tropes like Sorrosyss said.

Considering the fact that Marc worked with Lorne Balfe for TOKW (if I remember right Marc even called him to come), I think it could very well be Lorne. I'd be really happy to see him again, I really loved his work.

EDIT: Oh, London? Well then it's someone new I guess.

Xstantin
06-21-2015, 03:31 PM
I then saw game play of someone playing the demo at e3, suddenly the music starts and it's a women's voice similar to that of AC2????

Dunno, could be the same thing as Rogue/China cause Ezio's family is so popular. Brand recognition, blah blah

frodrigues55
06-21-2015, 05:28 PM
It's really confusing, the creative director just straight up said there will be no ambient music. Did anybody figured out where this song came from, then? Is this woman singing inside a bank or something?

Farlander1991
06-21-2015, 05:40 PM
It's really confusing, the creative director just straight up said there will be no ambient music. Did anybody figured out where this song came from, then? Is this woman singing inside a bank or something?

The video in question happens inside a mission. Missions in AC always had prevalent ambient music, even for games that didn't have it in freeroam (AC3) or had it in a very subtle way (ACU).

frodrigues55
06-21-2015, 06:00 PM
The video in question happens inside a mission. Missions in AC always had prevalent ambient music, even for games that didn't have it in freeroam (AC3) or had it in a very subtle way (ACU).

Yes, but as far as I can remember, the mission music is always contextual to what is happening. A chase triggers, then the chase music starts. A stealth section is going on, then mystery music kicks in. With this, it looked like completely random. Just like free roam music does. Of course, that's my impression by just looking at it, but it didn't sound like a mission music at all to me.

king-hailz
06-21-2015, 10:04 PM
I'll admit that there is a similarity in the choral work to Kyd's work on AC2. The trouble is any composer that did come to the series would be expected to take tropes from what came before.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kyd, and Balfe. I'd be overjoyed with either. But the interview gave me the impression that it is someone new to the series. Remember Balfe works with Hans Zimmer quite a lot, so there is a link there maybe. They both worked on Beyond, so its not impossible that Zimmer could do another game. And that would be an honour, as the guy is so highly in demand by Hollywood and the like. Guess we'll see, excited to find out either way.

I am with you... The honour thing does make me think of zimmer...

Namikaze_17
06-21-2015, 11:13 PM
Zimmer is from Germany.

SixKeys
06-21-2015, 11:23 PM
Isn't Lorne Balfe from England?

Namikaze_17
06-21-2015, 11:47 PM
Isn't Lorne Balfe from England?

No, he's from Scotland.

EDIT: Though British is up there for him apparently - nothing on if he lives or has lived there.

Altair1789
06-22-2015, 03:54 AM
It could be just an opera-like track. That's not out of place for the setting

killerman_2012
06-23-2015, 12:45 AM
I think Jesper Kyd is back. Just hear the music from the minute 3:10 *.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usV0AIPKWFg#t=195

Altair1789
06-23-2015, 03:34 AM

Again, Jesper isn't the only person who makes that sort of stuff :rolleyes: Especially when the game is in Victorian London. Jesper has a distinct sound to his tracks, and it's one that we've certainly not been hearing in the other tracks

ACfan443
06-23-2015, 04:03 AM

You can hear it more clearly here (9:22).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluIGNfKsvk

And I disagree, there's very little indication he's back, if any. One little operatic piece doesn't mean anything when you look the music as a whole, the combat/action music which dominated both demos was peppy, had a lot of live instrumentation and no audible trace of synths. It's completely unlike any of Kyd's works which have a distinctly classic/electronic deeply layered hybrid sound.

I believe a member here mentioned that the composer would be from London, which if true rules Kyd out completely. And in any case the likelihood of him returning is slim considering Ubisoft has been hiring new composers for each game since 2011.

iambeakon
07-14-2015, 02:05 PM

And I disagree, there's very little indication he's back, if any. One little operatic piece doesn't mean anything when you look the music as a whole, the combat/action music which dominated both demos was peppy, had a lot of live instrumentation and no audible trace of synths. It's completely unlike any of Kyd's works which have a distinctly classic/electronic deeply layered hybrid sound.

I believe a member here mentioned that the composer would be from London, which if true rules Kyd out completely. And in any case the likelihood of him returning is slim considering Ubisoft has been hiring new composers for each game since 2011.

Yeah i agree, i don't think it really sounds like Kyd just because its a female choir, anyone can do that. Its the style and harmony that he has going different. He used a organ type pluck for home in florence with loads of delay and stuff and you can tell its from a hardware synth. The small piece everyone is talking about here doesn't really have the jesper kid stamp and lets face it ac games have been going pretty much downhill since he left and patrice desoluts left. The guys who did the ezio trilogy and number 1. AC3 had poor music and so did black flag. Ac unity somewhat had it a bit better than the last two but i can't really see anything beating the connection Kyd had with the italy setting of AC2, ACB. Long live echoes of the roman ruins and leonardos inventions!

But i do hope the new Syndicate game improves on its free roam ambient music. After all its what made games back in 2009, 2010 and 2011 so powerful :)

killerman_2012
07-24-2015, 04:48 AM

You have to hear this track. I still think it's Jesper Kyd's work... my ears cannot deceive me :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKcQhpf3_m0

iambeakon
07-24-2015, 06:24 PM
You have to hear this track. I still think it's Jesper Kyd's work... my ears cannot deceive me :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKcQhpf3_m0

Well at least it has free roam ambient music!!! Finally they realise what made AC so good from the beginning. They dropped the free roam music thing after the Ezio trilogy with AC3, ACBF and AC Unity not have hardly music at all around the cities. It could well be Kyd but if its isn't i don't mind as I'm already over the moon it actually has music when free roaming lol.

iambeakon
08-07-2015, 10:18 AM
I also thought this and was almost certain it was Kyd

But apparently ubi has given a statement saying that its someone from or born in England?
and apparently its a honour to work with him??? <------ This itself made me thing it was Kyd even more.

But that music is gorgeous either way ;)

Why? Kyd was born in Denmark not UK.......haha this means its not him. Its probably the same guy who did the AC liberation score cos it kindah sounds like his style to me.

Namikaze_17
08-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Why? Kyd was born in Denmark not UK.......haha this means its not him. Its probably the same guy who did the AC liberation score cos it kindah sounds like his style to me.

Winifred Phillips is a woman.

X_xWolverinEx_X
08-07-2015, 10:58 AM

sexist pig ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

VoXngola
08-07-2015, 01:30 PM
I will never understand why Ubi feels the need to be so secretive about their composers. What harm would it do if we knew him?

iambeakon
08-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Winifred Phillips is a woman.

Looooooool my bad. She's born in America so can't be her then.

sexist pig ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Requiscat in Pace....

Jessigirl2013
08-07-2015, 09:01 PM
I know.;)
That's what I said it cant be Kyd ;)

Does anyone know of any UK composers that this could be?;)

Rugterwyper32
08-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Mark Rutherford, Stephen Barton and Harry Gregson-Williams are the top 3 options I see if they're going for a composer from England itself. My money's on Gregson-Williams, he's got a hell of a lot of stuff under his belt. He's been one of the composers who've worked on Metal Gear since MGS2 and he has a lot of work on films, including the entire Shrek series, Chronicles of Naria, and a lot of other stuff. And he's not lacking on the award department, either.

AVVSOM3
08-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Henry Jackman maybe?

iambeakon
08-08-2015, 07:58 PM
I know.;)
That's what I said it cant be Kyd ;)

Does anyone know of any UK composers that this could be?;)

Oh lol I thought you said "this itself made me thing it was kyd even more" I thought the "thing" meant "think" haha.

Well....Lorne Balfe is an english composer?? Wouldn't surprise me if it was him again.

Id love it if they got ‎Olivier Derivière the Remember Me composer to do an AC game that would be awesome i love that guys work on Rememeber Me. He's French i think though so can't be him!!! :)

Namikaze_17
08-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Well....Lorne Balfe is an english composer?? Wouldn't surprise me if it was him again.

He's a British composer, though he's apparently from Scotland.

Unsure if that rules him out or not - he would be considered an honor to work with though.

My wild guess is Clint Mansell for some reason...

iambeakon
08-08-2015, 08:46 PM
He's a British composer, though he's apparently from Scotland.

Unsure if that rules him out or not - he would be considered an honor to work with though.

My wild guess is Clint Mansell for some reason...

Could well be mansell.....what about that Orivian guy that posted a AC Syndicate ost track on Spotify? Did you guys already discuss that?

Namikaze_17
08-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Could well be mansell.....what about that Orivian guy that posted a AC Syndicate ost track on Spotify? Did you guys already discuss that?

Yeah, he's not.

I think he even came on here and said it was fan-made.

VoXngola
08-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Lorne would make sense, Marc and him already worked together on TOKW after all!

iambeakon
08-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Yeah, he's not.

I think he even came on here and said it was fan-made.

Cool so we know its not him. I think no one will ever match Kyds scores on the Ezio trilogy in my opinion but i hope that this one has a really good soundtrack.

If its Lorne then cool. I loved his work on ACR with Kyd although i wasn't a fan of his work on AC3.

Namikaze_17
08-09-2015, 06:46 PM
Cool so we know its not him. I think no one will ever match Kyds scores on the Ezio trilogy in my opinion but i hope that this one has a really good soundtrack.

If its Lorne then cool. I loved his work on ACR with Kyd although i wasn't a fan of his work on AC3.

I can respect that... I hope it's good too. :)

iambeakon
08-09-2015, 09:17 PM
I mean regardless of who it is I'm very happy to even know it will have ambient free roam music. I mean the last AC game we got that had this was AC Revelations where it played the track Istanbul whilst free roaming the first city you get to in that game (what a lovely track that was to climb to lol). If this game matches the way it played music in ACR then ill be really happy.

Mabye David Buckley? He did the Arkham knight score and various films. British too....

Namikaze_17
08-09-2015, 09:38 PM
I mean regardless of who it is I'm very happy to even know it will have ambient free roam music.

Yeah, that's good. :)

Mabye David Buckley? He did the Arkham knight score and various films. British too....

Hmm, that's possible. Nice find.

Jessigirl2013
08-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Oh lol I thought you said "this itself made me thing it was kyd even more" I thought the "thing" meant "think" haha.

Id love it if they got ‎Olivier Derivière the Remember Me composer to do an AC game that would be awesome i love that guys work on Rememeber Me. He's French i think though so can't be him!!! :)

No prob ;)
When I said it make me think of kyd more, I was talking about how UBI said it was an honor to work with them.;)
Just my bad wording.;)

Hans684
08-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Maybe Darby?

iambeakon
09-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Still no news about who it is?

VoXngola
09-10-2015, 12:33 AM
Still no news about who it is?

No. If only I could understand why Ubisoft is like this.

m4r-k7
09-10-2015, 05:18 PM
http://blog.ubi.com/grammy-austin-wintory-assassins-creed-syndicate/

Matknapers18
09-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Austin Wintory. Absolutely no complaints from me, the guy composed Journey. One of the most beautiful soundtracks I've heard in gaming.

This is great news, i'm super excited to hear the full ost

Alphacos007
09-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Noice, just made another thread for better discussion as this one has the wrong composer name. I really like the choice, I'm excited to hear more.