PDA

View Full Version : Leave questions for our buddy, Assassin_M, a For Honor tester at E3!

Fatal-Feit
06-21-2015, 03:39 AM
If you have any questions or concerns, leave it here and he'll get to you. If anyone else here was a tester, feel free to answer people's questions as well.

My question:

How stable was the game's performance and was it running at 30 or 60fps? A game like For Honor would really benefit from 60fps.

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 05:00 AM
My questions is regarding the combat. When striking from lets say the left, are you forced to, if you do strike again, to strike from a certain direction or can you pull combos of your choice, like Up up up, up left left, left left left, left up right, right left right? Or is it always going to be when i strike from left i will then go from right then up?

Assassin_M
06-21-2015, 05:12 AM
Hey, guis. I'm the gui. Thank you Fatal for the introduction.

My question:

How stable was the game's performance and was it running at 30 or 60fps? A game like For Honor would really benefit from 60fps.
It was 30fps and it'll probably stay that way. I'm sure it could benefit from 60fps but I think the games that most benefit from 60fps are shooters. When I played, it was solid 30fps and so the feedback was great and every button press was responsive.

My questions is regarding the combat. When striking from lets say the left, are you forced to, if you do strike again, to strike from a certain direction or can you pull combos of your choice, like Up up up, up left left, left left left, left up right, right left right? Or is it always going to be when i strike from left i will then go from right then up?
You can do combos, yes. There's a pretty sizeable window after each hit where you can change direction left, up, right, left, right, up, whatever.

Fatal-Feit
06-21-2015, 06:37 AM
Hey, guis. I'm the gui. Thank you Fatal for the introduction.

yw, buddy

It was 30fps and it'll probably stay that way. I'm sure it could benefit from 60fps but I think the games that most benefit from 60fps are shooters. When I played, it was solid 30fps and so the feedback was great and every button press was responsive.

I figured, considering the visuals it's pushing on the PS4, but a slim part of me was hopeful. Thanks for the confirmation. It's good to know the performance was stable and the controls weren't sluggish or unresponsive.

What do you think of the AIs? Did you feel they were needles, too easy, what do you think of them?

Assassin_M
06-21-2015, 09:29 PM
I figured, considering the visuals it's pushing on the PS4, but a slim part of me was hopeful. Thanks for the confirmation. It's good to know the performance was stable and the controls weren't sluggish or unresponsive.
You're most welcome, man. Hopefully performance stays the way it was when I played.

What do you think of the AIs? Did you feel they were needles, too easy, what do you think of them?
You mean the soldiers? I felt that it was a good balance. They may only take one hit to die but they're dangerous in groups. They can still hit you and if they swarm you, you may die. There's also the fact of friendly fire. You have to block the soldiers and make sure that when you hit them, you don't hit some of your guys too. It's well balanced, I thought. Adding more hits to kill would break it.

Eiddard
06-21-2015, 10:26 PM
I have a gameplay question, how do the attacks work, I mean, there is some moves that I would like how they work.

Example: Samurai backing a bit then hitting hard from up guard.

There is diferent attacks depending on the left joystick?

Basicly I would like to know how attacks work in a more deep detailed way.

Fatal-Feit
06-22-2015, 05:23 AM
You mean the soldiers? I felt that it was a good balance. They may only take one hit to die but they're dangerous in groups. They can still hit you and if they swarm you, you may die. There's also the fact of friendly fire. You have to block the soldiers and make sure that when you hit them, you don't hit some of your guys too. It's well balanced, I thought. Adding more hits to kill would break it.

Fantastic!

Did you play the Chosen? How did you feel about the abilities? --Like the throwing star. A bit OP, maybe?

ViscountVicomte
06-22-2015, 06:13 AM
It may sound like a stupid question but in a game where duels and such prevails, I believe rivalry starts building up pretty fast, how was taunting handled in the game ? Was there any way to communicate with your enemies mid fight ? Most duel fighting games I remember playing were very clunky about that, either making it very irresponsive, too dangerous or just not so satisfying.

MarkLIVE333
06-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Hey everyone, MarkLIVE! here. I was a Ubisoft star player at E3. I was able to get hands-on with For Honor, and was able to talk to the developers a lot too. I also run www.honoredwarriors.com and want to build that community as well.

For this thread, I'd like to keep my mind busy thinking details. AMA = Ask Me Anything .... well keep it For Honor game specific please :D

Go....

Also, any question I cannot answer, I'll update and create this thread into a "ask the dev's" section.

Me2gud4U
06-22-2015, 08:06 AM
So how does the combat work?
From the demos I couldn't really make out, is there an attacking and defending turn? Or attack is free, so you can just spam attacks as soon as combat-lock is on?
It seems like you shouldn't have to wait so long before attacking. Is there a cooldown period after target lock? or you can start with a preemptive entry attack? It that someone can abuse?
Was there a chance to play a Viking character? Or there was only one gamemode with Samorais vs Knights?
I have many more questions but this should do for now ;p

Greetings,
Farkas
#IamViking

BuddyJumps
06-22-2015, 11:05 AM
1. Is it possible to really trick your opponent? Let me explain exactly what I mean with this: You're guarding the left side, the other warrior sees that, so he knows that you could attack on the left side immediately. But then you quickly turn guarding off and attack him on the right side with him still guarding the left side (his right side). Is this possible and how fast is this possible? Since this would really help the skill gaps in this game to make more skillful in the matter of mindgames and the speed you can act as a player.

2. In the Live-Demo from Ubisoft we didn't see any 'R's (the thingy behind your own body), life bar and signs for attacks and guards. But later on on the developer multiplayer walkthrough there were all those signs. Did they probably hide them so it looks more realistic and juicy for the show or is it just because that was an early early version of the game and they didn't implement the other assets we all saw later on.
It acutally would be amazing to see the 'R' and signs for attack and defense disappear! This would once again help to increase the skill gaps and make it firstly more realistic and secondly more skillful, don't you think?

Me2gud4U
06-22-2015, 11:10 AM
I asked this in an other thread but didnt get an answer yet so ill try herre ;p
From the demos I couldn't really make out, is there an attacking and defending turn? Or attack is free, so you can just spam attacks as soon as combat-lock is on?
It seems like you shouldn't have to wait so long before attacking. Is there a cooldown period after target lock? or you can start with a preemptive entry attack? It that someone can abuse?
Was there a chance to play a Viking character? Or there was only one gamemode with Samorais vs Knights?

Greetings,
Farkas
#IamViking

Eiddard
06-22-2015, 11:46 AM
I asked this in an other thread but didnt get an answer yet so ill try herre ;p

Greetings,
Farkas
#IamViking

There is no cooldown for attacking after lock opponent, check this gameplay footage from E3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H52rACMIi5Q&feature=youtu.be

You can even attack before locking opponent. People in the videos wait for attacking because it can put you on a bad spot and they are doing mind games with the opponent.

I didn't play the game but I saw all gameplays a few times and I think I got a good undestanding of how it works. Where I lack of information is in certain moves and how comboing attacks actually works, which is hard to understand just for seeing the game and not playing it.

Me2gud4U
06-22-2015, 12:06 PM
There is no cooldown for attacking after lock opponent, check this gameplay footage from E3

You can even attack before locking opponent. People in the videos wait for attacking because it can put you on a bad spot and they are doing mind games with the opponent.

I didn't play the game but I saw all gameplays a few times and I think I got a good undestanding of how it works. Where I lack of information is in certain moves and how comboing attacks actually works, which is hard to understand just for seeing the game and not playing it.

very very cool thanks for the video!
It answers quite some questions i had.

Fatal-Feit
06-22-2015, 02:47 PM
May a mod please merge this thread with mine? http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1182424-Leave-questions-for-our-buddy-Assassin_M-a-For-Honor-tester-at-E3!/page2

bitebug2003
06-22-2015, 02:52 PM
May a mod please merge this thread with mine? http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1182424-Leave-questions-for-our-buddy-Assassin_M-a-For-Honor-tester-at-E3!/page2

Done :)

Fatal-Feit
06-22-2015, 02:58 PM
Tyvm, bitebug! :)

Doctrinaire
06-22-2015, 03:22 PM
in response to the thought that making the creepers two hit kills would break the game. can you explain your reason for that? one hit kills makes it appear much to easy to be honest. I hope that the AI for the soldiers is stepped up to make them a bit more challenging, especially so if we're on a match that doesn't have respawn.

rafoca
06-22-2015, 07:29 PM
Regarding the campaign mode: can we play it cooperatively with friends?

Me2gud4U
06-22-2015, 08:33 PM

There was no info released about a campaign even being there. The demo was all focusing on the multiplayer pvp combat system..

King.Philip.II
06-22-2015, 09:32 PM
1.Will there be some kind of unique attacks (not finishing moves) but actually faction based attacks such as the knight half-swording or they are just there as a flashy killing moves, ? I am talking about duels not vs minions

2.Are there any counter attacks after you block an attack or penalty for constant attacking? Can you tell us what besides the guard break, normal and heavy attacks and dodge are there in the game?

3.Do the factions play differently? How are knights better at defense is it just stats or do they have bigger window to block an attack?

TheGreyHawk
06-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Is there a wide arsenal of weapons for each of the classes in the game? Can these be customized? Or are they already preset to that character?

Solid_Altair
06-23-2015, 12:14 PM
I have a ton of questions, but I'll try to ask them a few at a time.

In the gameplay trailer that features the HUD I noticed the Saurai could have aneutral stance, without inputing any direction. In the very last fight of that trailer there appears to be a partial parry that results from taking a strong attack in the neutral guard. A little bit of damage is dealt and the Samurai seems to stagger a little.

Does the neutral guard really result in a partial parry?

And can the Knights use neutral guard, too? I don't think I saw it in the trailers.

Assassin_M
06-23-2015, 05:51 PM
It may sound like a stupid question but in a game where duels and such prevails, I believe rivalry starts building up pretty fast, how was taunting handled in the game ? Was there any way to communicate with your enemies mid fight ? Most duel fighting games I remember playing were very clunky about that, either making it very irresponsive, too dangerous or just not so satisfying.
Nah, no question is stupid. There was no taunting in the demo and from the way the creative director and devs talked about it, this game is about complete stoicism in the battlefield, you know? More about badass combat than goading. I don't entirely disagree with you, though. Something like Bloodborne where you can greet an enemy or bow down to them in respect could be pretty cool.

Sorry for the absence, man.

Did you play the Chosen? How did you feel about the abilities? --Like the throwing star. A bit OP, maybe?
Unfortunately, there was only the Knights faction but I am looking forward to playing with the chosen. That's what I said in my interview actually. I think the throwing star might be a feat. Like, it wont be a regular thing you have to be running with and it wont be easy to gain.

So how does the combat work?
It works just like fencing. If you ever watched a fencing match, it's about hitting and not being hit because when you're hit, you lose momentum and the opponent already has an opening. One on one combat works exactly like that. You meet a warrior, you lock on to take your defensive stance. You can also just run in and steal a quick attack before taking your defensive stance.

There are no turns nor waiting times and yes, certainly you can spam attacks but if you're attacking a closed area (i.e a direction where the opponent is defending), it's blocked. There's also a dodge button.

Is there a cooldown period after target lock? or you can start with a preemptive entry attack? It that someone can abuse?
No cool downs. Yes, someone can do a quick running attack but you can dodge it or even, if you're quick enough, block it.

No, just one game mode and only knights.

I have many more questions but this should do for now ;p
Totally fine, ask any time.

1. Is it possible to really trick your opponent? Let me explain exactly what I mean with this: You're guarding the left side, the other warrior sees that, so he knows that you could attack on the left side immediately. But then you quickly turn guarding off and attack him on the right side with him still guarding the left side (his right side). Is this possible and how fast is this possible? Since this would really help the skill gaps in this game to make more skillful in the matter of mindgames and the speed you can act as a player.
Yes, it's completely possible to trick opponents. It's all about reaction time and your focus. I did exactly what you're describing quite a few times when I played. It's really a condensed and contained strategic experience. One time, something I did was break the opponent's guard and not attack but change my attack direction to the right (he was on the left, my previous attack direction as well) when he came back from the break, he didn't change directions, he sub consciously stayed on the left thinking that I stayed on the left too, so I immediately attacked to the right.

2. In the Live-Demo from Ubisoft we didn't see any 'R's (the thingy behind your own body), life bar and signs for attacks and guards. But later on on the developer multiplayer walkthrough there were all those signs. Did they probably hide them so it looks more realistic and juicy for the show or is it just because that was an early early version of the game and they didn't implement the other assets we all saw later on.
Presentation demos are always displayed without a HUD. I'm sure we'll be able to turn it off in the final game.

It acutally would be amazing to see the 'R' and signs for attack and defense disappear! This would once again help to increase the skill gaps and make it firstly more realistic and secondly more skillful, don't you think?
I would say so, yeah. Eliminating HUD elements can definitely alter the experience sometimes. The demo I played also had a bit less HUD elements than the multiplayer demo shown, though.

in response to the thought that making the creepers two hit kills would break the game. can you explain your reason for that? one hit kills makes it appear much to easy to be honest. I hope that the AI for the soldiers is stepped up to make them a bit more challenging, especially so if we're on a match that doesn't have respawn.
Because they ARE already challenging.

1) You can't lock on them, you can only guard because they WILL attack you.
2) They can swarm you and they have no qualm about attacking you all at once
3) You may kill your soldiers as you're killing them

Trust me, it looks easy but you try and take them on, it can be pretty hard. Keep in mind that your actual targets are the other warriors, you're only supposed to be fighting these guys when they're absolutely in your way. Making them 2-3 hit killables I think would disrupt that balance.

No info on that yet but I would assume that this could be done.

1.Will there be some kind of unique attacks (not finishing moves) but actually faction based attacks such as the knight half-swording or they are just there as a flashy killing moves, ? I am talking about duels not vs minions
There are finishing moves, yes. When you're opponent's health is almost done, the next attack is an execution move. I got decapitated once.

2.Are there any counter attacks after you block an attack or penalty for constant attacking? Can you tell us what besides the guard break, normal and heavy attacks and dodge are there in the game?
Counter attacking works naturally and seamlessly in that it's not its own mechanic but you can create a riposte by simply quickly attacking right after blocking an attack. Of course your opponent can be quicker and do a riposte-riposte. I think the fact that you have to change directions to find openings will discourage anybody from constantly attacking. If you're spamming in one direction, the opponent can easily break that momentum, dodge or even break your guard (Because you're always in a defensive position) and attack you. Spamming is not really an option.

3.Do the factions play differently? How are knights better at defense is it just stats or do they have bigger window to block an attack?
Only Knights were available in the demo

Is there a wide arsenal of weapons for each of the classes in the game? Can these be customized? Or are they already preset to that character?
No info on weaponry. We know so far that only different factions will have different weapons. There were a few different outfits and armor presets for the knights.

I have a ton of questions, but I'll try to ask them a few at a time.

In the gameplay trailer that features the HUD I noticed the Saurai could have aneutral stance, without inputing any direction. In the very last fight of that trailer there appears to be a partial parry that results from taking a strong attack in the neutral guard. A little bit of damage is dealt and the Samurai seems to stagger a little.

Does the neutral guard really result in a partial parry?

And can the Knights use neutral guard, too? I don't think I saw it in the trailers.
Samurais were not available in the demo, and there doesnt seem to be a neutral defensive stance. You're either open or you're defending in one of the directions.

Doctrinaire
06-23-2015, 06:04 PM
are you sure there are no taunts or anything?

in the original game play trailer discussed in the Masterclass ,the samurai assassin at the tower control point issued a challenge to the knight on the battlement. that was the part where we saw the samurai throw a shuriken and quickly dispatch the knight because they were already badly wounded.

Assassin_M
06-23-2015, 06:22 PM
are you sure there are no taunts or anything?
Not in the demo I played.

in the original game play trailer discussed in the Masterclass ,the samurai assassin at the tower control point issued a challenge to the knight on the battlement. that was the part where we saw the samurai throw a shuriken and quickly dispatch the knight because they were already badly wounded.
I unfortunately did not attend the master class because of the star player schedule :/ But that's good to hear, that it's there. It's not what I would consider a taunt, it's more of what I described.

EDIT: So I watched what you talked about. It's not a taunt, it's one of the feats being used.

Doctrinaire
06-23-2015, 06:30 PM
awww nuts. it looked like a challenge to the knight as he was looking at him and then beat his fist to his chest and pointed at him then ran to battle.

while I don't really are for auditory taunts, it would be neat if you could offer challenges to opposing warriors to meet.

Assassin_M
06-23-2015, 06:31 PM
awww nuts. it looked like a challenge to the knight as he was looking at him and then beat his fist to his chest and pointed at him then ran to battle.

while I don't really are for auditory taunts, it would be neat if you could offer challenges to opposing warriors to meet.
Yeah, it was really conveniently timed and placed haha, sorry man.

I think it'd be cool too, we'll see if it's in the final game. It might be a feat for some factions or all. Maybe a war cry.

Ovathir
06-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Hey!

Coming from war of the vikings, which implements a similar combat system. I'm really looking forward to this game but have some questions.

I read something about leveling, do you get "stronger" as you level?
I hope not hehe.. A level one should be just as strong as a more experienced player, it's the skill that matters
How are they handling the different weapons?
Are you able to swap out weapons on a class, or doess every class have a different weapon loadout?
How complex is the combat, what is your repportoire; what's available to you to fight with?
From the video I saw it was looking good. Being quite the veteran in WotVK, I hope there's a lot of speed to it, and feinting going on. As you've said it's looking for openings and once there are some really good players, able to match up with parrying. Fun times will be had, long duels!

Thanks in advance Assassin ^^

p.s. Btw, 60+ fps really does help in games like this. Once the fights become a bit quicker due to player experience (feints, changing directions, movement, etc.). You want to really be able to SEE what way they are going to swing, visuals are very important as they give you better reaction times. A good part in games like this comes down to being able to react quickly to your opponent.

CG_HouseVincent
06-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Hey!

Coming from war of the vikings, which implements a similar combat system. I'm really looking forward to this game but have some questions.

I hope not hehe.. A level one should be just as strong as a more experienced player, it's the skill that matters
How are they handling the different weapons?
Are you able to swap out weapons on a class, or doess every class have a different weapon loadout?
How complex is the combat, what is your repportoire; what's available to you to fight with?
From the video I saw it was looking good. Being quite the veteran in WotVK, I hope there's a lot of speed to it, and feinting going on. As you've said it's looking for openings and once there are some really good players, able to match up with parrying. Fun times will be had, long duels!

Just thought I would answer your second question. There are different weapons, HOWEVER, each faction has three sub classes and are designed to only have one weapon set that works with that class. For example, the Warden as seen in many of the demo videos will ALWAYS have a two handed claymore. Another example is the Oni; the Oni will always wield a Katana (two handed Samurai sword). These swords can be customized by appearance though to make it more unique to each individual.

Each sub class will have a different load out of weapons though. The knights that I can see in the wallpaper for their helmet shows a sword/board hero, a halberd hero, and a claymore hero. The Samurai show a pole arm hero, a duel wielding sword hero, and an Oni. The vikings show a two handed bearded axe (heavy) hero, an axe and shield hero, and a duel wielding axe hero.

To answer your third question. The developers have said and many players who have played/experienced the game play (I am not one of them) have expressed that the game play is EASY TO LEARN, but DIFFICULT TO MASTER. This creates a competitive atmosphere where the slightest things can change the outcome of a battle. For instance, a pillar in the middle of a courtyard allows someone to duel 1v2 without being slaughtered. This is because the pillar acts as a back shield and allows the player to parry all the attacks of one of the heros while dueling the other. This only happens if your guard is up on the side of the second hero though so if the 2 players are smart they will force you to switch guards and make you vulnerable to side attacks.

The first question I have heard nothing about. Leveling is weird in this game. The only way I can see it being somewhat justified is if we get new perks/feats, is how they described them, as we level. This will definitely make it a difficult balance of power though. Maybe customization options unlock as well? Not sure.

King.Philip.II
06-23-2015, 08:13 PM
If there isn't any counter attacks or penalty for constant attacking, what is stopping me from using attacks coming from ALL directions?

CG_HouseVincent
06-23-2015, 08:33 PM
If there isn't any counter attacks or penalty for constant attacking, what is stopping me from using attacks coming from ALL directions?

Actually, the art of battle system is your counter mechanism. The battle system allows you to block attacks if the attacker is in the same stance as you. This means that you have to change out of the defensive stance in order to find a weak spot of your opponent to hurt them. This, however, leaves you vulnerable to attacks as well.

Watch this video to understand this concept a little more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtVBqRI-usg

They fully talk about the concept in this video (skip to 12:14).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlU_6bgA0po

Both of these videos show you how combat works in this game and how it is very deep in depth, but extremely easy to understand. Easy to learn, hard to master.

Ovathir
06-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Thanks for your reply & the answers!

Each sub class will have a different load out of weapons though.

Oké, so the classes introduce the weapons. This is probably more suited for the tester, but as of the limited gameplay we have so far. How different do the weapons feel from one another? Will there be more than 3 classes per faction, seeing as it is a 4v4? Could be done with 3 too, just less diversity. Knights would surely have someone being able to wield a shield?

DIFFICULT TO MASTER
Hehe, I really hope so. What you describe is a good example of what I love! Even with 600+ hours I've yet to master war of the vikings (and not to brag, one of the best if not the atm - Vash/Soulvester for those who might lurk here too). It's been one of the most challenging games I've been able to sink my time in (ofc, there's different types of challenging). The challenge of being able to take on 5v1 people (succesfully, not always...sometimes). To use innovative movement with swings to surprise enemies. Use, as you mentioned, the terrain to your advantage (obstacles for projectiles, tight corners to increase ease of parry, to use a wall to be able to hit a special, etc etc.). There's so much opportunity to play with that comes from experience and skill. It can just be beautifull to watch fights happen, the different moves made with just a few simple inputs (you have your movement, the direction of your swing, and your mouse aim to play with).

From what I've seen I'm (almost) convinced this game has these elements too. So I'm really looking forward to test this game hehe, to push it to its limits (and doing consistent 1v2's hehe, if only!).

CG_HouseVincent
06-23-2015, 10:19 PM
Thanks for your reply & the answers!

Oké, so the classes introduce the weapons. This is probably more suited for the tester, but as of the limited gameplay we have so far. How different do the weapons feel from one another? Will there be more than 3 classes per faction, seeing as it is a 4v4? Could be done with 3 too, just less diversity. Knights would surely have someone being able to wield a shield?

Hehe, I really hope so. What you describe is a good example of what I love! Even with 600+ hours I've yet to master war of the vikings (and not to brag, one of the best if not the atm - Vash/Soulvester for those who might lurk here too). It's been one of the most challenging games I've been able to sink my time in (ofc, there's different types of challenging). The challenge of being able to take on 5v1 people (succesfully, not always...sometimes). To use innovative movement with swings to surprise enemies. Use, as you mentioned, the terrain to your advantage (obstacles for projectiles, tight corners to increase ease of parry, to use a wall to be able to hit a special, etc etc.). There's so much opportunity to play with that comes from experience and skill. It can just be beautifull to watch fights happen, the different moves made with just a few simple inputs (you have your movement, the direction of your swing, and your mouse aim to play with).

From what I've seen I'm (almost) convinced this game has these elements too. So I'm really looking forward to test this game hehe, to push it to its limits (and doing consistent 1v2's hehe, if only!).

Your first question. I can't answer the feel of the weapons or the game play aspect of the question, but from watching the videos of the game play you can definetely feel it just by watching. For example, the Samurai Oni feels light, fast, lethal. However, they also seem fragile and weak when hit by other weapons.

There will be three sub classes/heroes per faction. The game play has only shown a dominion mode which is like a base control FPS mode. They have not announced a 3v3 game mode yet. I would imagine you could play a custom made game for dominion with 3v3 though.

This has not been confirmed by a developer yet, but we have seen a knight with a sword/flail and shield in both the wallpaper on the official site and the CGI trailer. I would assume this will happen because the knight is iconic for wielding a sword/flail and shield.

To comment on your second paragraph the developers have mentioned that each faction has been designed by real life masters of combat and interrupted into the game setting. For example, they actually flew out a German long-sword trainer and had them do knightly combat with another sword trainer and allowed the game engine to incorporate their movements and actions into the game. THIS IS WHY IT FEELS SO REAL AND IMMERSIVE. The reason why the game is so fantastic is because the techniques used by each faction are actually being properly displayed in the game. The Oni uses movements and stances and strikes like the actual Samurai warrior from Japan a couple hundred years ago. Combat is the reason people are so intrigued in this game and will continue to be interested in this game. If they continue to properly detail out each class and faction like they have so far then we are in for a game that absolutely changes the dynamic of dueling and shooters in general. This is a whole new genre of gaming and will forever change the console base.

Ovathir
06-23-2015, 10:31 PM
This is a whole new genre of gaming and will forever change the console base.

It's been there for a while on PC with multiple games. Not the duel system this game uses, but the directions of your swings with parries accordingly or aiming a shield, and it's awesome. But yes this could be such a fun game to play with some friends on a console! I hope the PC version will be just as solid, but the directions during duel shouldn't be much of a problem.

CG_HouseVincent
06-23-2015, 10:46 PM
It's been there for a while on PC with multiple games. Not the duel system this game uses, but the directions of your swings with parries accordingly or aiming a shield, and it's awesome. But yes this could be such a fun game to play with some friends on a console! I hope the PC version will be just as solid, but the directions during duel shouldn't be much of a problem.

Yes sir. I have played the PC games like War of the Roses and Chivalry, but both, IN MY OPINION, lack the depth that this game provides. This one looks and feels like those two should've felt. If anything those two games gave this one the small push it needed to be the next big changing point of gaming history.

Additionally, this game adds two more factions to the mix that those games only further expanded upon knights in the medieval era. That, in itself, adds 2/3rd more depth to the game alone.

Also the fact that this one is on console means it will reach a much wider base than those two games ever could. The fact that it is coming to PC as well means it will be competing with those two titles and challenging their market share.

Solid_Altair
06-23-2015, 11:10 PM
I'm very worried about proggression, too. I hope they don't allow a veteran player to have much more "raw power" than a beginner. I think proggressing should focus a lot on cosmetic stuff. Mechanically:

* It should be more about giving players more options (different skills, builds and trade offs), not more raw power (health, damage, a greater number of equipment upgrades, etc.).

* It's also important to not make unlocks depend on specific actions. This concept sounds logical, but applies very badly. Players end up playing to do the thing that unlocks the stuff they want, instead of playing to win and help their team. So playing well... winning... should simply give you more XP. Generic XP doesn't sound fancy but is the best way.

* And pretty please, let the players choose what to buy with their XP. Don't leave a skill far away from the beginner. There are few things more frustrating and unfair than being owned by a skill you don't have and cannot unlock anytime soon.

With this set up, players should be able to put together a decent or even their most desired build fairly soon, since the first levels should quick to get. From this point they would unlock more options, more builds for different classes and so on... along with lots of cosmetic stuff, to dangle the carrot in front of the unlock maniacs.

Fairness is extremely important, otherwise the gameplay will be severely broken. The name of the game is For Honor, after all.

TheGreyHawk
06-23-2015, 11:24 PM
From what I've understood, a player in a specific faction can fight against other players of the same faction, e.g two knights fighting each other.
Does this mean that we can expect certain game modes or server rules that will allow players from different factions to play together on the same team? Because that'd be cool, but it would also kill the immersion a little.

I really want to play as a samurai alongside with my viking friends, though. :(

Solid_Altair
06-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Samurais were not available in the demo, and there doesnt seem to be a neutral defensive stance. You're either open or you're defending in one of the directions.
Thanks. As a knight if you're locked-on and release the Right Stick, do you assume a neutral stance, or does the character remain in his last stance and Right Stick direction? If I'm holding up, then release the stick, does the R icon on my fighter keep showing "Up" and the fighter remain the stance?

From what I've understood, a player in a specific faction can fight against other players of the same faction, e.g two knights fighting each other.
Yeah... this can help a lot with matchmaking. I haven't even considered the possibility, but it really makes sense. I'm pretty sure these "factions" fought eachother, irl.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 11:46 PM
I'm very worried about proggression, too. I hope they don't allow a veteran player to have much more "raw power" than a beginner. I think proggressing should focus a lot on cosmetic stuff. Mechanically:

* It should be more about giving players more options (different skills, builds and trade offs), not more raw power (health, damage, a greater number of equipment upgrades, etc.).

* It's also important to not make unlocks depend on specific actions. This concept sounds logical, but applies very badly. Players end up playing to do the thing that unlocks the stuff they want, instead of playing to win and help their team. So playing well... winning... should simply give you more XP. Generic XP doesn't sound fancy but is the best way.

* And pretty please, let the players choose what to buy with their XP. Don't leave a skill far away from the beginner. There are few things more frustrating and unfair than being owned by a skill you don't have and cannot unlock anytime soon.

With this set up, players should be able to put together a decent or even their most desired build fairly soon, since the first levels should quick to get. From this point they would unlock more options, more builds for different classes and so on... along with lots of cosmetic stuff, to dangle the carrot in front of the unlock maniacs.

Fairness is extremely important, otherwise the gameplay will be severely broken. The name of the game is For Honor, after all.

I agree completely, the Victor of a match should be determined by their skill, not their stats. So many games are completely broken because of a op stat system. Don't let this be one of them.

CG_HouseVincent
06-24-2015, 12:01 AM

This seems like a very fair and logically written post. I agree with all three of your suggestions. Well done.

Does this mean that we can expect certain game modes or server rules that will allow players from different factions to play together on the same team? Because that'd be cool, but it would also kill the immersion a little.

From what I understand this isn't going to be the case at the present moment. However, that could very well change. The factions fight each other and you cannot mix them. You can fight knights against knights though.

I THULSA DOOM I
06-24-2015, 12:40 AM
Can anyone who has played speak to if it seems like the combat will support a significant skill ceiling? Does this feel like a truly skill based game?

CG_HouseVincent
06-24-2015, 12:48 AM
Can anyone who has played speak to if it seems like the combat will support a significant skill ceiling? Does this feel like a truly skill based game?

I have not played the game, but I have watched many game play videos and interviews about the game. It seems that the game is extremely easy to learn, but very hard to master. There are so many details surrounding combat that have big impacts on fights. It does look like a skill based game. It is more about observing your opponent and outsmarting them rather than having a designated way of dealing with them before you even enter the fight. Each fighter is different with unique bonuses toward their fighting style; and even beyond that, each human player behind that sub class has their own way of dealing with situations. This is a skill based game that has deeper combat than I have seen on any console game so far.

recklessmind
06-24-2015, 04:11 AM
1) At this time, can you feign attacks? (like a check-swing in baseball)

2) What does L1 do?

Thanks in advance.

CG_HouseVincent
06-24-2015, 04:18 AM
1) At this time, can you feign attacks? (like a check-swing in baseball)

2) What does L1 do?

Thanks in advance.

You cannot feign an attack. Once you commit to a swing you must go through with it. This could change as the development progresses.

L1 currently doesn't have an action in the current controller scheme. This could also change though. L2 is to lock onto a player in order to duel properly (you must hold it down; it is not trigger able).

Solid_Altair
06-24-2015, 05:35 AM
I really wish they can add a toogle option for L2. I have the impression it would be a little ore comfortable. It's partly because my left hand is disabled, but not only that. I could hold it, but I'd prefer to toogle.

I think I just figured something out. In the 45 min. video with interviews they said they applied a special rule to the parries. If I'm being flanked I need only input a parry to that side in order to parry attacks in any direction thrown by the opponent who's flanking me. That gives the outnumbered dude a chance.

What seems to give him more than a chance is another feature... a brilliant feature! When you successfully parry all three directions in the HUD light up. At first, I thought this was just a cosmetic thing to help indicating to the player that the parry was successful. But now I think it has a deeper meaning. I think it means that one successful parry makes you automatically parry any attack at you that comes right after the first parry, while those three lights are lit. This is very similar to what I have in mind as a rule for fighting multiple opponents with a threeway parry system. I'm so happy!

So, I think one strategy when being flankes is holding your stance towards the flanker and react to the guy whom you're facing. tactic can be overcome with tricky timing, but not so easily. I think guard brakes will actually be an easier way to gank, then to make dudes miss parries. And guard brakes actually give the outnumbered guy a chance to strike back. To make him miss parries the tricky tactic would be for the main fighter to use a slow attack and the flanker to use a quick one, right after the main's attack. That would make the victim shift his stance in reaction to the main's attack (in a different direction then the flanker's, of course), but the flanker's would land first and prolly stun lock the victim for the slow main attack. Anyhow... as I said, I think dudes will simply try to guard brake.

Coordinated teams will prolly develop some tactics, such as, when flanking, the main is the one to guard brake, while the flanker stands by and retaliates if the victim try to attack the guard braker. Or stuff like: the main uses slow attacks and the flankers try to react to that, using fast ones - a more complicated tactic.

OK... a question. This is driving me nuts. I've re-watching the vidos all night, spamming cups of coffe, trying to infer the mechanics. There is one thing that's bugging me the most. They've said that timing an attack well will allow you parry more effectively, or something like this. I've been thinking and hoping that this was kind of an overstatement. I thought what they meant by 'timing' was reading your opponent's stance and attack and reacting accordingly... not performing the parry in the last instat, which would be a more literal meaning of timing.

So, I've been looking at the videos and trying to determine what makes some parries so good and others so bad. I came up with some factors that seemed to fit, keeping the sharp timing out of the equation. However, there is one particular instance where timing seems like the only explanation. Please take a look at these two videos, only a short moment of each. Check the first one, at 6:08; and the second, at 4:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvcZzUpF8ZM (6:08)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp3NKQlJPuo (4:20)

Both cases show an Oni parrying what looks like a strong vertical attack by a Warden. The attack looks to be the very same: it's the "first attack" (it's not a comboed attack) and looks to have the same animation, with a tiny jump. In both cases, the Oni wasn't staggered by anything - he had plenty of time to parry. Why is the first parry bad and the second parry good? Is it really about sharp timing?

Note that in the second parry the player seems to spam flicks, instead of holding the stick up, whereas in the first, though we can't see the UI, the player seems to hold the high stance. This points towards sharp timing, which doesn't sound good, to me. Not only latency is likely to turn sharp timing into a matter luck, there is also the possibility of exploiting the timing window, by spamming flicks.

The strange thing is that this seems to be the only strike which has its parry based on sharp timing.

What am I missing?

CG_HouseVincent
06-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Both cases show an Oni parrying what looks like a strong vertical attack by a Warden. The attack looks to be the very same: it's the "first attack" (it's not a comboed attack) and looks to have the same animation, with a tiny jump. In both cases, the Oni wasn't staggered by anything - he had plenty of time to parry. Why is the first parry bad and the second parry good? Is it really about sharp timing?

Note that in the second parry the player seems to spam flicks, instead of holding the stick up, whereas in the first, though we can't see the UI, the player seems to hold the high stance. This points towards sharp timing, which doesn't sound good, to me. Not only latency is likely to turn sharp timing into a matter luck, there is also the possibility of exploiting the timing window, by spamming flicks.

The strange thing is that this seems to be the only strike which has its parry based on sharp timing.

What am I missing?

For the most part you got it right in my opinion. The difference between the first video and the second is that he parries while knowing it is coming and timed the parry before they started the swing. This means the hero was ready to deflect the attack that was made rather than changing the stance right before the knight's swing makes contact. In the first video, it is a last second parry which probably staggers the Oni because he was late to see the attack coming and act accordingly. In the second video, we see the Oni observing his opponent well and reacting to their strong attack top with a parry top before the swing is even fully established. This means he parries the female hero quicker into the swing than the first Oni did. It is about timing the parry and this allows you to gain a little advantage because of how fast you parry the initial attack.

supabeatsbat
06-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Hi everyone! Here is my few questions:

1) Is blocking automatic? If you have a certain stance, you deflect all blows from that direction without any additional button-pushing?

2) Since a heavy attack takes more time to perform, can you interrupt incoming heavy blow with a light one?

3) No stamina here, right? Just to make sure :)

CG_HouseVincent
06-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone! Here is my few questions:

1) Is blocking automatic? If you have a certain stance, you deflect all blows from that direction without any additional button-pushing?

2) Since a heavy attack takes more time to perform, can you interrupt incoming heavy blow with a light one?

3) No stamina here, right? Just to make sure :)

Yes. Your concept of describing the parrying system is correct. In order to block an attack you simply need to have your weapon on the same side that your attacker is attacking from.

You cannot attack and interrupt the attack, it will only damage them and their heavy attack will continue unless the light attack kills them. Unless you parry the attack it will complete the animation I believe.

Stamina? There is a health bar at the top of each hero/player that informs everyone around that hero how much health they have remaining. Each faction has a different gauge of how much stamina, power, and speed they have. This differs by faction and sub classes.

I am not sure I understand your last question, but I hope this response has helped in some way.

supabeatsbat
06-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Yes. Your concept of describing the parrying system is correct. In order to block an attack you simply need to have your weapon on the same side that your attacker is attacking from.

You cannot attack and interrupt the attack, it will only damage them and their heavy attack will continue unless the light attack kills them. Unless you parry the attack it will complete the animation I believe.

Stamina? There is a health bar at the top of each hero/player that informs everyone around that hero how much health they have remaining. Each faction has a different gauge of how much stamina, power, and speed they have. This differs by faction and sub classes.

I am not sure I understand your last question, but I hope this response has helped in some way.

Thank you very much!

By "stamina" I meant the bar, that many games have (Dark Souls, Skyrim). It is used for executing actions in combat and it recovers with time, but if you run out of it, you wont be able to fight effectively.

About parrying... So, if a heavy strike incoming in a direction where you have your sword already... Than you have no chance at successfully parrying it (with stunning your opponent)? Or is it possible to quickly switch to another stance and then back to original one while your opponent swinging a heavy blow?

Also remembered another question:

Is dodging direction automatic or you can choose which side to step?

Eiddard
06-24-2015, 05:03 PM

I am not sure about this, I think I remember a light attack stopping a heavy attack, but I have to review the gameplays to be sure, I'll check them later. If I find it I'll post it, but I am not really sure.

I think he means some kind of "energy" that allows you to keep attacking,dodging, etc, like in chivalry, where you will have limited stamina for attacking and your attacks will be limited by it. As far as I know there is no such system in For Honor.

CG_HouseVincent
06-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Thank you very much!

By "stamina" I meant the bar, that many games have (Dark Souls, Skyrim). It is used for executing actions in combat and it recovers with time, but if you run out of it, you wont be able to fight effectively.

About parrying... So, if a heavy strike incoming in a direction where you have your sword already... Than you have no chance at successfully parrying it (with stunning your opponent)? Or is it possible to quickly switch to another stance and then back to original one while your opponent swinging a heavy blow?

Also remembered another question:

Stamina/health only recovers at points on the Dominion mode right now. There is also a feat, similar to kill streaks in other FPS, that allow for a refill charge (multiple uses for getting the one kill streak) of health on demand. More details will come out in the near future most likely.

From what I understand from your question is: You are being attacked, lets say from the top guard position, and you are already in the top guard stance. In this case, you will block the heavy attack, however, if you switch out of the guard position into another guard position, lets say left, then the heavy blow will make contact and stagger you as well as hurt you tremendously. Once the attack is incoming it is very smart to stay in a defensive stance until the attack has been parried and then strike because your opponent will be staggered a little after the parry (less than a second of stagger though). This creates a dynamic decision making model of combat that is both satisfying and simple to understand, but incredibly hard to master and compete at.

Heavy attacks can be blocked if in the same stance as the incoming attackers offensive strike. Switching between stances while an incoming heavy blow is imminent is not very smart because you cannot be quick enough to both quick attack and then successfully parry the heavy attack.

You choose which direction you dodge in. Dodging is extremely similar to striking and parrying; when you dodge you must pick the direction you will be going. Press X and point which direction with the right analog stick I think. Not completely sure on which stick it is though.

CG_HouseVincent
06-24-2015, 05:18 PM
I think he means some kind of "energy" that allows you to keep attacking,dodging, etc, like in chivalry, where you will have limited stamina for attacking and your attacks will be limited by it. As far as I know there is no such system in For Honor.

Ah, my mistake. There is no energy in For Honor at the present moment, however, each attack that you make is very important and does have impact on the continued fight. I do not think the developers want to limit you, but allow you to make careful decisions while fighting. They encourage you to make smart choices without limiting them at the same time.

Eiddard
06-24-2015, 05:35 PM
Ah, my mistake. There is no energy in For Honor at the present moment, however, each attack that you make is very important and does have impact on the continued fight. I do not think the developers want to limit you, but allow you to make careful decisions while fighting. They encourage you to make smart choices without limiting them at the same time.

Yes, btw I found some examples of attacks stoping another attacks animations.

You can look in that video in the minutes:

- 4:27 to 4:32 (A knight seems performing an attack that I think is heavy and a fast move forward + light attack from the samurai stops the whole animation)
- 4:55 to 4:58 (The samurai is in a bad spot, 1v2, and tries an attack from a top stance that is stopped by an attack from a knight)
- 6:19 to 6:21 (A heavy attack from a samurai stopped from an attack from a knight, I am not sure if it is a heavy or a light attack from the knight)
- 7:45 to 7:48 (I think this is the best example, the knight is does one heavy attack followed by another coming from the back, a light attack from the samurai stops the knight attack)

So knowing the speeds of the attacks will be really important for the game, I don't think you can stop attacks that are about to end, but yeah, if you timing well, you can do stop attacks by attacking your enemie faster.

CG_HouseVincent
06-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Yes, btw I found some examples of attacks stoping another attacks animations.

You can look in that video in the minutes:

- 4:27 to 4:32 (A knight seems performing an attack that I think is heavy and a fast move forward + light attack from the samurai stops the whole animation)
- 4:55 to 4:58 (The samurai is in a bad spot, 1v2, and tries an attack from a top stance that is stopped by an attack from a knight)
- 6:19 to 6:21 (A heavy attack from a samurai stopped from an attack from a knight, I am not sure if it is a heavy or a light attack from the knight)
- 7:45 to 7:48 (I think this is the best example, the knight is does one heavy attack followed by another coming from the back, a light attack from the samurai stops the knight attack)

So knowing the speeds of the attacks will be really important for the game, I don't think you can stop attacks that are about to end, but yeah, if you timing well, you can do stop attacks by attacking your enemie faster.

Well found and some great examples. I think I didn't explain the concept very well, but this shows it very clearly.

supabeatsbat
06-24-2015, 06:11 PM
Eiddard Great examples, thanks! Seems like heavy attacks really can be interrupted, i bet samurai will be great at it with their speed!

Achemdor Oh, I think I've read your response to Solid_Altair wrong=( So, if you expect the attack and make your guard early, then your opponent gets staggered. In most games it is the other way around, so I got confused... Thanks for clearing it up! :D

CG_HouseVincent
06-24-2015, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know if you get struck while on a ladder do you fall?

Solid_Altair
06-25-2015, 12:18 AM
In the first video, it is a last second parry which probably staggers the Oni because he was late to see the attack coming and act accordingly. In the second video, we see the Oni observing his opponent well and reacting to their strong attack top with a parry top before the swing is even fully established.
I think I saw the opposite. In the second video, although the Oni watches his opponent for a while, he "mashes flicks", so his parry is last instant thing, in comparison to the first video, where the Oni was holding the high stance.

Which relates to this:

This assumes that shifting your stance late, when the attack is about to connect, makes your parry better. In some cases, it seems like it does. In others, it's the other way around. So, from just watching the videos I can't tell. Having said that, I actually think some of the developer players were trying this tactic you mentioned. And you may not have enough time, specially if you're a knight, because he doesn't have a neutral stance, like the Oni, does. If you wanna swap and swap back as a knight, you're gonna have to switch your stance completely... and twice. As the Oni, you can simply release and press the R stick back at the intended direction, having the character centering his sword and putting it to the side again, without needing to shift his feet.

From what I've gathered, I came up with a few alternative hypothesis:

1a- Some attacks Guard Crush (result in bad parries, that favor the attacker) (not be mistaken with the Guard Brakes) by default. These are specific to the attacks, which can be very, very specific. In the examples I mentioned in those two videos, I attack that is parried well is actually a little different, because the lady doesn't advance and change her stance with the jump. So, it seems like only the advancing strong high attack of the knight Guard Crushes by default. The Oni's Guard Crusher is his right strong advancing attack.

1b- Other attacks Guard Crush circumstantially. These Crushes happen when the fighter parries without actually having his full parry stance, because they are taunting, recovering from a whiff, recovering from parrying a previous attack, or just starting to lock on the attacker.

2a- All strong attacks Guard Crush by default, unless their parries are timed well. Timing them well doesn't require a very sharp (late) timing. You just can sit in the stance for a very long time. And even if you time it well, you may be crushed, depending on the circumstances, like mentioned in 1b.

2b- Like 1b.

3a- Only some attacks Guard Crush... and only if they're parried with bad timing (stance is held from very early on).

3a- Like 1b.

Hypothesis 3 doesn't sound good to Okham's Razor. Way too complicated.

I'm leaning towards 1 or 2. A little more towards 2. They're all very complicated, actualy, but I couldn't find a simpler pattern... there was only one event that proved an exception and made me pull half my hair out. BTW, hypotheses 2 and 3 support the tactic you've entioned. Hypotheesis 1 does not. I'm really leaning towards 2, now.

I'm pretty sure you can choose the direction. It is possible to successfully dodge towards the attack, though. However, its timing seems more difficult. Dodging away from the attack seems easier, in terms of timing. Even dodging away can fail, if the timing is bad enough (early or late). Guys can be hit while rolling. Dodging doesn't necessarily put you in advantage. If your enemy is doing a string of two fast attacks, his second attack will catch you befor eyou can fire back.

BTW, I do think being hit by a fast attack interrupts your strong attack, or anything you're doing. I don't think there is "poise" (as in Dark Souls) in this game, unless you're executing someone (including Adds) or you're just being hit by Adds.

You choose which direction you dodge in. Dodging is extremely similar to striking and parrying; when you dodge you must pick the direction you will be going. Press X and point which direction with the right analog stick I think. Not completely sure on which stick it is though.
I' pretty sure it's the Left Stick. I saw a character dodging one way, while blocking (having his stance on) the other.

I think if you dodge without a lock on, you roll.

Solid_Altair
06-26-2015, 11:21 AM
It's so sad when I burry threads. :(

It's like I'm cursed or something.

Fatal-Feit
06-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Sorry for the absence, man.

No problemo, my friend.

Dunno if this question have already been asked, but how did you feel about the general navigation of the game? Walking, jogging, running, turning side to side. Using the ladder, even. Did the animations look top-notch like AC and was it responsive, sluggish, Unity-ish?

Pokajew
07-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Actually the thing you saw on the gameplay video was a taunt they even say so in the masterclass interview i guess Assassin might have not known the button prompt or the build he played simply did not have it in, you can also see the knights taunt (beating their chests and roaring or holding their sword up by the hilt) that could not be a feat since NOTHING happened and none of the samurais feats were "used" up like you see the throwing star being grayed out when its thrown.

Hope this excites you just as it did me when i saw the taunt for the knights i instantly began imagining the vikings taunt :D

Havemercy87
07-07-2015, 07:05 PM

I just read this and have to say this well said Solid! I agree with everything you said here and would have wrote about the same thing. I think you probably worded better than I would have.

Solid_Altair
07-08-2015, 11:11 AM
I'm glad I'm not all alone in this world. Sometimes it feels like the "Rabbits" (the ones who love to chase the "dangling carrots", without caring about fairness) are everywhere.

Online proggression is one thing no competitive game did well so far. These good elements are scattared about different games, but each one always messes up with something important. I think AC does almost everything well, but doesn't let players choose what to buy with their XP. Killzone 3 lets players choose, but there is still a hierarchy of things that shouldn't exist... and the proggression is too uneventful.

A combination of these two games... with a little more freedom... would get us the system we want.

Assassin_M
07-11-2015, 03:03 AM
Actually the thing you saw on the gameplay video was a taunt they even say so in the masterclass interview i guess Assassin might have not known the button prompt or the build he played simply did not have it in, you can also see the knights taunt (beating their chests and roaring or holding their sword up by the hilt) that could not be a feat since NOTHING happened and none of the samurais feats were "used" up like you see the throwing star being grayed out when its thrown.

Hope this excites you just as it did me when i saw the taunt for the knights i instantly began imagining the vikings taunt :D
You might be right. Unfortunately I did not attend the masterclass because we were supposed to leave for dinner, I think. I thought it was a perk because of the effect that appeared around the samurai after he did it. I might be wrong, as you pointed out.

No problemo, my friend.

Dunno if this question have already been asked, but how did you feel about the general navigation of the game? Walking, jogging, running, turning side to side. Using the ladder, even. Did the animations look top-notch like AC and was it responsive, sluggish, Unity-ish?
It's all very well done. Smooth and responsive. I should also note that they have very good obstacle avoidance as well, there's no instant halt when you hit an obstacle as you're sprinting. AC Quality animations, yup.

It's so sad when I burry threads. :(

It's like I'm cursed or something.
Man, you'v been doing excellent work. I enjoy reading every single one of your posts, very detailed analysis.

Does anyone know if you get struck while on a ladder do you fall?
Nope. Not in the demo, at least. Once the animation starts, it's automatic. Nothing can stop you.

It definitely is. As a fencer, this game personifies the concept of hitting and not being hit. Imagine it as a condensed version of some strategic board game.

Thanks. As a knight if you're locked-on and release the Right Stick, do you assume a neutral stance, or does the character remain in his last stance and Right Stick direction? If I'm holding up, then release the stick, does the R icon on my fighter keep showing "Up" and the fighter remain the stance?
Not locking is the neutral stance. When you lock, you'll be in a defensive, regardless of whether or not you're holding R in any direction, R will be in a direction all the time when you're locked.

I don't think that'd be possible because the factions are very specific. Each faction has its own army units and perks, so you there's no way you can mix and match, unless there can be a team mode. Persumably they had to make decision between removing uniqueness from factions, consequently allowing mixing and matching or keeping it as it is now.

p.s. Btw, 60+ fps really does help in games like this. Once the fights become a bit quicker due to player experience (feints, changing directions, movement, etc.). You want to really be able to SEE what way they are going to swing, visuals are very important as they give you better reaction times. A good part in games like this comes down to being able to react quickly to your opponent.
1) They didn't really comment on progression. From what I played, customization seemed like an aesthetic. This might translate into leveling not being stats..etc. Perhaps rewards for leveling would be for certain perks.

2) The combat is both simple AND complex. The idea of it is simple. You have your 3 guarding positions and attacking positions. Then there's the feinting, guard breaking, dodging and parrying. EVERYTHING can be used in conjunction with each other to create different combos and different feints even. I think it'll be a challenge for them to step up their AI to make it half as much as fighting against another person.

Most welcome, man. Sorry I havent been keeping up.

Well, the problem sometimes with 30 FPS is not the inherent 30 frames per second but rather maintaining it, you know? I think For Honor will be able to maintain 30 throughout the play time. I didnt have any problems at all during the times I played. It was always responsive.

Solid_Altair
07-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Man, you'v been doing excellent work. I enjoy reading every single one of your posts, very detailed analysis.

Not locking is the neutral stance. When you lock, you'll be in a defensive, regardless of whether or not you're holding R in any direction, R will be in a direction all the time when you're locked.

Thanks, dude. Glad to hear it... both things.

It really seems the Oni will play very differently from the Warden, in the Art of Battle system. It's exciting!

HitMan00
07-15-2015, 08:54 PM
not sure this have been answered, but will any of the warriror be able to carry dual swords, or axes

Rekcikesra
07-19-2015, 04:56 PM
not sure this have been answered, but will any of the warriror be able to carry dual swords, or axes

If you look at the cover of the game you can see the samurai holding two swords, and the viking holding two axes, so i would assume so.

Fatal-Feit
07-19-2015, 10:00 PM
By the way, guys, I think it's safe to assume _M won't be posting on this thread anymore. But thanks for your submissions! We've learned a lot.

Dead1y-Derri
07-19-2015, 11:36 PM
By the way, guys, I think it's safe to assume _M won't be posting on this thread anymore. But thanks for your submissions! We've learned a lot.

Thanks for creating this thread, its been educational reading through this :)

HeinrichBrandr
07-29-2015, 05:17 AM
Hello,

I'm a great fan of game such as this (Mount&Blade is my favorite amongst them, until For Honor came along), and I've been trying to figure out the controller dynamics for quite some time, until I foun this thread where Assassin_M has answered questions very clearly. I'd like to know mostly about parriying, ok, I'm holding L2 to enter guard mode, I have my stance to the right side, to perform a PARRY, should I press any button????

Thank You

Dead1y-Derri
07-29-2015, 07:05 PM
Hello,

I'm a great fan of game such as this (Mount&Blade is my favorite amongst them, until For Honor came along), and I've been trying to figure out the controller dynamics for quite some time, until I foun this thread where Assassin_M has answered questions very clearly. I'd like to know mostly about parriying, ok, I'm holding L2 to enter guard mode, I have my stance to the right side, to perform a PARRY, should I press any button????

Thank You

From the control scheme you don't have to press a button to parry I believe, as long as you're pointing in the right direction and the person attacks you in the direction of the right. then you'll effectively parry the attack.