PDA

View Full Version : Small, Medium and/or Large teams?

spaff_meister
06-20-2015, 08:35 PM
I've seen quite some discussion on team size - a lot of people wanting game modes of up to 64 players, while others would rather the numbers stay relatively small.

My personal opinion: I agree with the Devs that the game's basis is on the duel mechanic and believe that would be spoilt by adding too many players. Such would subtract from the personal interaction felt from small team-based games, which was said to be the basis of the initial concept of the game, and has been mentioned by people who play it as a significant point of excellence.

There are also logistical issues such as making large maps for a game which is set to release next year, balancing feats so that winning teams don't dominate, making the map/spawn points accessible so that players aren't running around for too long to find a point of interest (such as if capture points go in your favour and you're surrounded by allies).

MisterWillow
06-20-2015, 09:38 PM
I voted "4v4" but I think I'd fall somewhere between that and "up to 12v12".

I've said elsewhere that 8v8 would be tolerable, but any more than that and I think you'd start losing the intimacy in combat. 10v10 maybe, but that would be pushing it, in my opinion.

THE_JOKE_KING33
06-20-2015, 09:42 PM
At most, I'd maybe like to see 8v8, but I think 4v4 is perfect.

Doctrinaire
06-20-2015, 09:54 PM
I would like to see more than 4vs4, as it would alter the dynamics by quite a bit but still allow for dueling.

Narnsil
06-20-2015, 10:07 PM
4 v 4 it's fine

Kenji_Hattori
06-20-2015, 10:43 PM
i think 4v4 is fine, but i would not mond if they went as high as 10v10. But past that i think it gets to high.

rrebe
06-20-2015, 10:52 PM
Anything between 4v4 and 12v12 is fine depending on what kind of maps we will be dealing with. I'd like to see matches with different team sizes to choose from.

Doctrinaire
06-20-2015, 11:36 PM
map sizes would have to scale so the map isn't crowded...but the dynamics of having 2 on 1 or such duels, would be very cool!!! :D

spaff_meister
06-21-2015, 12:10 AM
map sizes would have to scale so the map isn't crowded...but the dynamics of having 2 on 1 or such duels, would be very cool!!! :D

I think that, as far as the 4v4 games go, ganging up and 2v1ing the enemy will be essential to teamwork & communication.

Likewise, defending against 2-3 opponents while your team does something important will be essential too. One Dev said in an interview that a player in the office she thought commemorable was one who could defend against 2-3 opponents in such a manner, but not necessarily get kills.

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 12:33 AM
I think that, as far as the 4v4 games go, ganging up and 2v1ing the enemy will be essential to teamwork & communication.

Likewise, defending against 2-3 opponents while your team does something important will be essential too. One Dev said in an interview that a player in the office she thought commemorable was one who could defend against 2-3 opponents in such a manner, but not necessarily get kills.

Yes, that would be an impressive feat, and i would love to see one person successfully defending more than 1 opponent. Also i think 2v1 will happen a good deal, as you saw in the previews it happens a good deal. Not completly 1v2 but there were times where it would have happend had one person not been there just in time. I also think that if people go into the game with friends and stuff they might end up going 2v1 and trying to dominate the whole game.

Fatal-Feit
06-21-2015, 04:00 AM
I'm down for 6 or 8, max. Bigger is not always better, and if Titanfall taught me anything, it's that 6v6 felt just fine. Honestly, I'm hoping for some sort of 2v2 mode --similar to COD.

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 04:51 AM
I'm down for 6 or 8, max. Bigger is not always better, and if Titanfall taught me anything, it's that 6v6 felt just fine. Honestly, I'm hoping for some sort of 2v2 mode --similar to COD.

I agree, i would not mind seeing 10 maximum, but a 2v2 would be cool. It would give a nice feel of "Hey its just you and me, so hope you are good enough" I feel in the 4v4, and even more so in more v more, there will often be cases where someone is able to kill 2 people then die on the third because of the damage they sustained from the first 2.

Fatal-Feit
06-21-2015, 07:08 AM
I feel in the 4v4, and even more so in more v more, there will often be cases where someone is able to kill 2 people then die on the third because of the damage they sustained from the first 2.

Yeah, I like the idea of being able to survive an entire match due to skills and I don't see the chances of that happening when it's 1v3 or more.

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I like the idea of being able to survive an entire match due to skills and I don't see the chances of that happening when it's 1v3 or more.

Yeah, that would be cool, but i do remember seeing in the video that one did heal. I forgot about that and if they have healing abilities or items that would make it more plausible to survive without dying at all.

Ag-Ego
06-21-2015, 10:29 PM
i think 12v12 would be intersting i think it would be cool to have larger battles image a 4v4 duel in the middle of the match as the battle continues around them i want to feel like im in a war

b13-9c
06-22-2015, 12:09 AM
Options never hurt anyone. If you can do 8v8 or 12v12 that would be cool to try out. If you dont like it then just stick to 4v4. It all may depend upon the way their maps were developed. The map you see at E3 has no chance to support a 12v12 imo.

Fatal-Feit
06-22-2015, 05:32 AM
Yeah, that would be cool, but i do remember seeing in the video that one did heal. I forgot about that and if they have healing abilities or items that would make it more plausible to survive without dying at all.

Was it healing? I thought you regenerated health and you inflict damage on your enemy or win a battle.

agrael929292
06-22-2015, 04:14 PM
In my opinion 4v4, or something close to that number, is not only fine, it's one of the major points around which i think the game has been designed and needs to stay there as the main mode, the one that goes through the most refining and fine tuning to make it fun and balanced. Because i think (just my assumption here), that at this point in development the decision on the number of players has been already taken in a conscious and fairly definitive way, at least for the main mode. I doubt the devs haven't considered and experimented in some way with more players. But the feeling they were tryng to convey with this game was this feeling of having personal duels, so they went for the little numbers. And me, i'm attracted by this idea more than anything else in the game, so i'd like it if they stuck with less players because i believe it is indeed the best way to make it work.
Then again i support variety, so as many different modes they can put in the better (even if they aren't balanced at esport level, they just need to be fun). Although i imagine that adding an option for more players could still require some work on additional maps with bigger size, etc.
Anyway 'tis just my opinion, i like the concept of the game with the 4v4 battles, so i'd be sad if they changed it.

Narnsil
06-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Was it healing? I thought you regenerated health and you inflict damage on your enemy or win a battle.

Apparetle you can heal yourself with feats... gather enough feats points trough killing to unlock/ or use the heal. I think the Crater director says that on a interview :confused: