PDA

View Full Version : Assassins and hoods: is it traditional ?

avk111
06-20-2015, 06:02 PM
Good day folks,

At the beginning I thought the whole purpose of the hood was to cover the face of the one who wears it giving it a function as a mask, however I realized watching Assassin's Creed revelations, Assassin's Creed 2, Assassins Creed Unity, that it's more traditional for assassins to wear hoods. It serves as a Uniform in a certain manner.

Sorrosyss
06-20-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure we know what came before AC1, but I always got the impression they chose the hood to disguise themselves as holy priests as many would not bother such an individual. We saw this played out in the main trailer as well.

I think it has served as an unofficial uniform though as you say. They were originally shaped like a bird's head to emulate the eagle, another symbol of the brotherhood (eagle vision etc). But unlike a lot of clothing, hoods have remained pretty timeless and always relevant, even to the modern day hoodie.

Some also believe that the Assassin's logo is shaped after the hood shape too. Either way it is a timeless look, and for me one of the defining and striking images of the franchise.

Consus_E
06-20-2015, 08:46 PM
http://www.the2bitgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/382px-Jupiter.jpg

Apparently its based on First Civ fashion.

SixKeys
06-20-2015, 11:11 PM
http://www.the2bitgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/382px-Jupiter.jpg

Apparently its based on First Civ fashion.

That makes no sense. The First Civ were slavers, assassins are all about freedom.

The hoods are traditional only insofar as the brotherhood chooses to enforce them even during eras when they're super conspicuous. They really should have died out after the Renaissance. Even in Constantinople, Ezio and his recruits were the only ones who wore a hood. Yusuf never did. In AC2's Villa, the hall of fame with all the statues only has 2 or 3 (including Alta´r) out of 7 assassins wearing hoods.

avk111
06-20-2015, 11:42 PM
So it's either that the writer didn't make up their mind yet as to whether it's a traditional garb, cause sometimes I think that the whole function of the hoodie is to work as a mask, similar to Ninjas, except that the hood is socially acceptable however a ninja walking down the street would be totally conspicuous. It's to keep the Assassin's identity a secret I suppose, without socially flashing him/her.

However as we can see with Syndicate , since the hoodie may have been exposed in terms of its connection to the assassin's, it became a stigma thus it's hidden inside the jacket as we saw with Jacob Frye,

What I find interesting is that Assassins usually take down their hood when they are in HQ. This concept was first conceptualized with the Assassin's Creed Russian Revilution comic (in contrast to AC2 , where Ezio is almost always wearing the hood even in HQ) and then AC3 and ACB reconfirmed that same concept.

Consus_E
06-21-2015, 11:13 AM
That makes no sense. The First Civ were slavers, assassins are all about freedom.

The first Assassin's were born of First Civ/Human hybrids it's possible that they could adopt customs from their forebears.