PDA

View Full Version : Samurai & spears.

UruPhy
06-19-2015, 07:15 AM
Will I'll be able to play a samurai with a spear as my weapon of choice?
Because that would be freaking fantastic.
Please make my dreams come true :) Thank you to the team and their hard work.

Sixty-nl
06-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Spears would be awesome, we saw in the cgi trailer a Viking fighting against someone with a spear.

Eiddard
06-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Well, in the cinematic trailer there is a Nanigata, so I expect that in game.

It is the closest to a spear from a Samurai, I don't expect "classic" spears to be playable for Samurais.

Sixty-nl
06-19-2015, 09:53 AM
i more a Katana kinda guy, dual wielding is also awesome. But i am definitely going to try all weapons. And off course the other factions as well.

the closest thing to a classic spear for the samurai is a Yari i believe.

quickly looked it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Yari

Kenji_Hattori
06-19-2015, 02:29 PM
i more a Katana kinda guy, dual wielding is also awesome. But i am definitely going to try all weapons. And off course the other factions as well.

the closest thing to a classic spear for the samurai is a Yari i believe.

quickly looked it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Yari

Correct, the Yari and some other variations of it were widely used by the Japanese. However it does not seem like it is a weapon in this game. Im only basing that off the fact that we have not seen one yet.

CaesarVI00
06-19-2015, 11:35 PM
Some of Japan's greatest warriors were spear fighters. The greatest of them was Honda Tadakatsu who fought in battles and was never injured. According to Shinto myth, Japan was created from the edge of a spear, well, technically a naginata, but you get my point. And the samurai had several kinds of spears at their disposal. The naginata which was like a glaive, the yari, the jumounji-yari, and so on. The spear was also the anti-samurai weapon as it could pierce their armor. A samurai using a sword had to be three times better than a samurai who wielded a spear.

Kenji_Hattori
06-20-2015, 12:13 AM
Some of Japan's greatest warriors were spear fighters. The greatest of them was Honda Tadakatsu who fought in battles and was never injured. According to Shinto myth, Japan was created from the edge of a spear, well, technically a naginata, but you get my point. And the samurai had several kinds of spears at their disposal. The naginata which was like a glaive, the yari, the jumounji-yari, and so on. The spear was also the anti-samurai weapon as it could pierce their armor. A samurai using a sword had to be three times better than a samurai who wielded a spear.

That is one reason i hope to see a spear, especially a Jumonji Yari. That is my favorite kind.

Fatal-Feit
06-20-2015, 02:04 PM
one of the samurai in the trailer was using a halberd, so

Kenji_Hattori
06-20-2015, 04:49 PM
one of the samurai in the trailer was using a halberd, so

Naginata is what its called. But yeah that is a cool weapon, spears would be cool to use as well though, they have great potential in a game like this.

Fatal-Feit
06-21-2015, 03:46 AM
Naginata is what its called. But yeah that is a cool weapon, spears would be cool to use as well though, they have great potential in a game like this.

Thanks for the correction. And speaking of which, you're sig has a dual wielding Oni. :eek:

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the correction. And speaking of which, you're sig has a dual wielding Oni. :eek:

Yes and when someone pointed that out to me i got excited, because it means there might be a dual wielding character, whom i will always use lol. Either him or if they have it in a Nodachi wielder.

Fatal-Feit
06-21-2015, 07:04 AM
Yes and when someone pointed that out to me i got excited, because it means there might be a dual wielding character, whom i will always use lol. Either him or if they have it in a Nodachi wielder.

That would be amazing. 3-4 potential weapons for each factions, I'm guessing? Going by what I've seen in the trailers and images:

Chosen - long sword, spear, and dual swords (I know I'm not using the correct names, but I'll learn it eventually --don't skin me :()
Legions - claymore, flail and shield, halberd, and sword and shield
Warborn - sword and shield, dual axes, axe and shield, battle axe

I'm the Jack of all trades, so I'm hoping every faction, every weapon, feels different and unique enough.

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 05:43 PM
That would be amazing. 3-4 potential weapons for each factions, I'm guessing? Going by what I've seen in the trailers and images:

Chosen - long sword, spear, and dual swords (I know I'm not using the correct names, but I'll learn it eventually --don't skin me :()
Legions - claymore, flail and shield, halberd, and sword and shield
Warborn - sword and shield, dual axes, axe and shield, battle axe

I'm the Jack of all trades, so I'm hoping every faction, every weapon, feels different and unique enough.

I agree, and im assuming and hoping each character is a very different feel. I hope for the chosen it would be the Longsword(Katana), Spear(Yari), Dual swords(Katana and Wakizashi or 2 Katana's), and as shown in a video Glaive(Naginata). However, i looks like there wont be a spear, as i have not seen one. It does show in the picture to the left of the forums a dual wielding Samurai, and we obviously saw the single Sword user, and in the video it shows a Naginata, so we have one more weapon that could be used, but we dont know what it is. Honestly i will be playing each faction but i dont think ill be playing any other as much as i will be playing Samurai.