PDA

View Full Version : My impressions from playing the demo 12 times.

Assassin_M
06-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Great thread by Sixkeys but I feel like this should be its own thread, since hers took a direction i'm not really interested in. I'll probably be a lot more biased because of my views on AC as a historical open world, so hopefully everyone will take it easy on me. If the mods feel like this shouldnt be its own thread, then that's fine as well.

So I played the Syndicate demo about 12 times. Talked to Side content director and a Game Designer. Sixkeys and I ate the side content director's ears out with questions and every time I came back, they're like "Oh, it's you again". I bored them hard, so anyways. Here're my impressions.

- Multiple finishers are back: Those can be done after you get two opponents groggy. The next time you attack either of them, the animation will initiate.

- Entering windows became much more streamlined than how it was in Unity. There's now a more clearly dedicated button for it and the feedback for it is perfect.

- I thought the combat animations WERE a bit a clunky and cartoonish at first but over time, it grew on me. It's very reminiscent of the Arkham games. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what made turned me off from the animations at first but then I realized that it's the length of animation for every attack. Attacks are not just punches anymore, an attack can be a punch first then an arm twist or a gut punch and then arm twist. That's all one animation. I didn't like that, to be honest. But then I realized that incorporating tools like the revolver and throwing knives are back and you can switch between them during combat sequences. As the attack animation ensues, you can switch to throwing knife and quickly press the tool button to throw a knife at someone behind you when the animation finishes. It plays smoothly and looks very cool.

- Unfortunately, it looks like the hood and hat are tied to sneaking and not sneaking. It's the closest thing to a hood button yet. I told the Side content director about it, the fact that people will dislike it being tied to sneaking, and he said he'll pass it on to the team and see if they can make it more open

- Going back to the combat system, nothing felt pointless. I talked before about how AC II's system was problematic because the features did not revolve around the system (throwing dust to slow down guards when they're never really constantly attacking), there's nothing like that in Syndicate. It has more features as a system than Unity but it's a lot more compact than prior games. There's a stun button which is used on big guy archetypes, there's the tool button and there's counter attacking. It's a balance between Unity and prior games.

- Counter attacking is back but it works differently than before. It's not a guaranteed win. The counter button is used for dodging bullets and countering punches. It works like Unity's parry system in combat.

- You can dodge bullets as you escape

- I talked to the game designer about the HUD intrusion in things like the GPS system, etc and he talked about it as a good thing but I disagreed and he said they have to put in mind the mainstream player....which is....understandable....I guess. He said I can turn it off anyway.

- Rope launcher doesn't feel gimmicky or gamey. It serves an aesthetic and gameplay purpose. The animations for it are very well and realistically done. It's not like batman where you'll instantly launch to the roof, Jacob actually has animation feedback for buildings, where he uses his legs and feet as leverage when launching upwards. It also cannot be used in combat. What you saw in the CG trailer is an environmental kill.

- Snap cover was removed because it was clunky and now it's more contextual like the last of us. There's also animation feedback for when you're close to walls in cover, which is a nice touch. Cover kills stay, though, where if you kill someone while you're positioned behind a corner, the animation will ensue as if you're snapped to cover. This was a bit problematic for a me, though as sometimes, the animation didn't work and Jacob would just stand up and do a regular standing assassination. I don't know if it was my fault because I wasn't positioned correctly or the game just sometimes does not respond. If it's the latter, I can say "well, pre-alpha", if it's the earlier, then they just replaced a problem with another problem.

- Parkour down is improved greatly. In ACU, sometimes Arno would just zap down when there's no constriction or piece of wood below him to initiate an animation. Now there's feedback for those situations. Jacob would slide on walls with his hands and feet if the down path ONLY has walls.

- Side jumping still sucks

- Parkour in general has been greatly streamlined with some new animations added for Jacob. It feels a lot heavier, the gravity felt much better and each jump feels right.

- I asked side content director about the side missions. I told him about how Witcher 3 organically integrates side missions and events into the game world by having players just run into them. They're not always on the map, as that makes it feel it was from an outside source and thus breaks immersion. He said he completely agrees with me and that he's pushing for that direction, as some side missions will indeed be introduced like that in Syndicate but others will remain the same as before. He talked again about the mainstream and that most AC players wont explore but he still agreed with me and said he's pushing for it to be more like the Witcher.

- RANDOM EVENTS WILL BE THERE!! Hopefully it's not like Frozen Lakes. Sixkeys and I debated whether or not to ask him about frozen lakes.

- I talked with the game designer and side content director at length about why some features from the old games were removed (such as gently shoving people aside when you walk) and he said that it's an engine issue. It's hard to carry over things from the old engine and pointed towards the Altair outfit in AC III but said that over time, as they learn more, they'll be able to bring back all the old stuff. It's worth mentioning though that there's a new animation when passing by NPCs. Jacob would side step walkers left and right. It's not the best but it looks much better than Unity.

- There will be interiors but they wont be as plentiful as in ACU. The side content director said that they cut down on unnecessary interiors and left only the necessary ones. For use in strongholds, parkour sequences...etc. This was done because it was one of the major contributers to the FPS and stability problem in Unity.

- You can hide in carriages but it wasn't available in the demo.

- LOADS of new NPC stations. I saw 3 girls playing football (not hand-egg), kids playing tag (Kids are back), a rich dude shouting at a worker, mailman delivering mail...etc. It should be noted that the crowds are not COMPLETELY gone. There areas with significant numbers of crowds that should satisfy everyone's tasty social stealth needs.

- I tried testing out NPC behavior. I pointed a gun at one guy and he got scared, kept standing there until I dropped my aim and then he started running away. Guards also react to throwing knives, you can use them as a lure device.

- Bombs might return

- Black Box missions and adaptive mission system will return from Unity. If I lost Bloody Nora, it turned into a track mission.

- Graphical fidelity was lessened because of unity's frame rate problems but I was very impressed as the visuals still maintain the look of Unity. They retained the global illumination as well and used a great technique for the huge amount of smoke in the distance, which Tomb Raider also used for Lara's torch fire. I never actually thought they'd be able to render the smoke great distances but they did. The places that took a hit are textures (very low occlusion) and faces. Like SIxkeys said, it's the AC IV faces to AC III.

- Carriage driving works like GTA. Right trigger to steer and left trigger to brake. How much you push the trigger is what constitutes speed. The carriage handling felt pretty good and the ramming system works well. It's reminiscent of sleeping dogs' ramming system. During my playthroughs, I managed to completely avoid injuring or hitting civilians.

- Environmental kills offer a great array of options to exploit. I was able to tinker with the AI a lot. There're fire pits where guards walk by to warm themselves up, which can be used with the "hallucinogenic darts"(lel) to enhance the affection range. There was an area with the barrels AND the pit. I used the pit first to poison everyone, then one moved closer and closer under the barrels and I used a throwing knife to drop them.

Over all....i'm positive but don't kill me. As I said, i'm pretty biased, so take what I said as will.

Please ask any questions if you have, I might not remember things but would remember when asked.

I-Like-Pie45
06-18-2015, 06:06 PM
are the kids demons once more, and can you kill them this time?

Assassin_M
06-18-2015, 06:06 PM
are the kids demons once more, and can you kill them this time?
No and no. They played games, you monster

dimbismp
06-18-2015, 06:07 PM
I am glad that someone is satisfied with the demo!Some questions:
-Did you ask about customisation?
-Did you use the cane sword?If yes,how can you compare it to fists combat?
-Did the side missions guy tell you what kind of side missions we can expect?
-Did you ask anything about weather etc?
-Anything about the narrative/MD?
-FPS?

Thanks

Assassin_M
06-18-2015, 06:14 PM
I am glad that someone is satisfied with the demo!
Go to reddit. A lot of people are satisfied there too.

-Did you ask about customisation?
Yes, he said it'll be less than Unity but he didn't make it clear if that meant less in number or scope. After missions, you get rewards in the form of tools and gear from Henry. I'm assuming clothes will be a part of it, so. Don't take my word for it but I think you'll be able to customize specific body parts but it wont be as much as Unity. He also said that not a lot of people used all the options, I pointed out the club competitions and some of the restrictions for unlocking outfits but he said even for the simple stuff, not a lot used them.

-Did you use the cane sword?If yes,how can you compare it to fists combat?
Wasn't in demo unfortunately.

-Did the side missions guy tell you what kind of side missions we can expect?
Strongholds, some type of murder mysteries, raids on factories to save kids and random happenings in the street. He said there's more but he cannot say.

-Did you ask anything about weather etc?
Yes, there's fully dynamic weather but there was none in the demo.

-Anything about the narrative/MD?
Not a peep.

-FPS?
Very stable most of the time. Takes some dips during carriage chases but nothing too significant. It's not really something to measure accurately in a pre alpha demo with only a very small area to play in, though, I must point that out.

Thanks
Very welcome.

I-Like-Pie45
06-18-2015, 06:15 PM
No and no. They played games, you monster

well some of us here are still scarred from ac3's street urchins

those kids are probably the reason why haytham became a sociopath, washington a tyrannical king, and lee became a ******bag

and keep in mind that as a bear, i am not bound by the same restrictions in tastes that humans are

Assassin_M
06-18-2015, 06:16 PM
well some of us here are still scarred from ac3's street urchins

those kids are probably the reason why haytham became a sociopath, washington a tyrannical king, and lee became a ******bag
Well, kids in Syndicate are more like RL kids.

m4r-k7
06-18-2015, 06:18 PM
How does London compare to Paris? From the demo it looks like it is not as washed out as France looked in Unity. How are the building structures etc - are they better to free run on as free running felt very clunky in Unity. Its strange because when people think of Victorian England, fog and darkness comes to mind but it seems they are aiming for a more brighter London. Did the developers have anything to say about that?

Sorrosyss
06-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks M, that's a really nice writeup. The combat animations remain my main concern at present, but I suppose we have not seen much of the weapon animations thus far. Still, that's pretty positive overall. Good to see.

Assassin_M
06-18-2015, 06:25 PM
How does London compare to Paris? From the demo it looks like it is not as washed out as France looked in Unity. How are the building structures etc - are they better to free run on as free running felt very clunky Unity. Its strange because when people think of Victorian England, fog and darkness comes to mind but it seems they are aiming for a more brighter London. Did the developers have anything to say about that?

London is larger than Paris (which is really surprising) and on average, the buildings are also much taller. There's a lot of color to buildings with some brick, some wood, some concrete, some stone and the signs on top of buildings also add to all the color. Posters line plank walls for plays, news..etc. I also ran into workers working on sewers....just some random immersion. I loved Paris, but London may top it for me. Parkour on buildings is much better, the zip lines offer great versatility. You can drop at any time as you zipline across a street. There are also better parkour animations, which makes the parkour feel much better and heavier than in Unity. There will be a lot of districts and each district will have its flavor. The game designer talked about white chapel for example and said it'll have the iconic darkness of mainstream Victorian London. Most other places will be bright and colorful because they wanted to emphasize this booming era of progress and advancement.

You're most welcome.

Farlander1991
06-18-2015, 06:27 PM
- Counter attacking is back but it works differently than before. It's not a guaranteed win. The counter button is used for dodging bullets and countering punches. It works like Unity's parry system in combat.

So it's not back then, is it? :p I said in one thread when people got scared by the action name that it's probably Unity's parry renamed to counter (as fists is generally something you don't parry) rather than the old AC counter-attacking.

Assassin_M
06-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks M, that's a really nice writeup. The combat animations remain my main concern at present, but I suppose we have not seen much of the weapon animations thus far. Still, that's pretty positive overall. Good to see.
You're very welcome, I was preparing it all week haha. One thing i'll say about combat animations...it looks worse than it plays. At least that's how I felt.

So it's not back then, is it? :p I said in one thread when people got scared by the action name that it's probably Unity's parry renamed to counter (as fists is generally something you don't parry) rather than the old AC counter-attacking.
Well, it's called "counter" when the prompt comes up and it's not as time sensitive as Unity, they really liked to say parry in Unity too:p it also has more than one function, so just thought i'd "go with it", since they're renaming stuff left and right.

Xstantin
06-18-2015, 06:30 PM
The game designer talked about white chapel for example and said it'll have the iconic darkness of mainstream Victorian London. Most other places will be bright and colorful because they wanted to emphasize this booming era of progress and advancement.

Sounds cool. Night shots from the trailer looked a bit more interesting than the demo imo. Did they say anything about their inspirations for the looks by any chance?

m4r-k7
06-18-2015, 06:31 PM
Also, did they say anything about the weather effects? The rain in Black Flag was incredibly immersive whereas the rain in Unity just looked flat. I was wondering if the Black Flag weather system was going to be present in Syndicate.

THE_JOKE_KING33
06-18-2015, 06:32 PM
- I thought the combat animations WERE a bit a clunky and cartoonish at first but over time, it grew on me. It's very reminiscent of the Arkham games. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what made turned me off from the animations at first but then I realized that it's the length of animation for every attack. Attacks are not just punches anymore, an attack can be a punch first then an arm twist or a gut punch and then arm twist. That's all one animation. I didn't like that, to be honest. But then I realized that incorporating tools like the revolver and throwing knives are back and you can switch between them during combat sequences. As the attack animation ensues, you can switch to throwing knife and quickly press the tool button to throw a knife at someone behind you when the animation finishes. It plays smoothly and looks very cool.

- Going back to the combat system, nothing felt pointless. I talked before about how AC II's system was problematic because the features did not revolve around the system (throwing dust to slow down guards when they're never really constantly attacking), there's nothing like that in Syndicate. It has more features as a system than Unity but it's a lot more compact than prior games. There's a stun button which is used on big guy archetypes, there's the tool button and there's counter attacking. It's a balance between Unity and prior games.

HOT ****! This just sold me on the game! Especially with the bolded text since that's exactly what I wanted AC's combat to be like.

Farlander1991
06-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Well, it's called "counter" when the prompt comes up and it's not as time sensitive as Unity, they really liked to say parry in Unity too:p it also has more than one function, so just thought i'd "go with it", since they're renaming stuff left and right.

Heh. The whole reaction to ACS really reminds me of ACIV reaction. "OMFG THIS LOOKS HORRIBLE LINEAR CLUNKY NO THE FRANCHISE IS DEAD" and then people play it and it's like, "ok, it's actually not bad". We'll see how it will go on release for ACS :D

Assassin_M
06-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Sounds cool. Night shots from the trailer looked a bit more interesting than the demo imo. Did they say anything about their inspirations for the looks by any chance?
The night definitely looks cool, from the brief bit in the trailer. No, unfortunately, it was my bad for not asking, though. I asked more about the programming, level design, side content...etc.

THE_JOKE_KING33
06-18-2015, 06:34 PM
I do have one question though. Are human shields back or is it still the same "bullet dodge" mechanic?

Assassin_M
06-18-2015, 06:37 PM
HOT ****! This just sold me on the game! Especially with the bolded text since that's exactly what I wanted AC's combat to be like.
Hopefully they nail it this time. Moving from target to target is very smooth too.

Also, did they say anything about the weather effects? The rain in Black Flag was incredibly immersive whereas the rain in Unity just looked flat. I was wondering if the Black Flag weather system was going to be present in Syndicate.
They said the rain will look better than Unity and it'd be more atmospheric but the system in black flag would probably a bit challenging to bring into Syndicate, as there're a lot of other aspects tied to it. Not to mention that it'll be very taxing on systems.

I do have one question though. Are human shields back or is it still the same "bullet dodge" mechanic?
Bullet dodge

Heh. The whole reaction to ACS really reminds me of ACIV reaction. "OMFG THIS LOOKS HORRIBLE LINEAR CLUNKY NO THE FRANCHISE IS DEAD" and then people play it and it's like, "ok, it's actually not bad". We'll see how it will go on release for ACS :D
Yeah, i thought the same. Especially with the similarity of ships and carriages. They LOOK boring but are very fun. We'll see.

m4r-k7
06-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Sorry got another question. Did you get any insight into the story / characteristics of Jacob / Evie?

VoXngola
06-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Bullet dodge

That's strange, I remember reading somewhere that human shields are back again.

Anyway, thanks for all of this, M!

Assassin_M
06-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Sorry got another question. Did you get any insight into the story / characteristics of Jacob / Evie?
Totally fine, ask away. I got the usual marketing stuff "Jacob crazy, Evie is more stealthy". Only new thing I came out with, and I can't remember who told me, was that Jacob will sometimes have to steered back to the right track by Evie, in regards to the Creed and the Assassin philosophy, so that should be interesting.

That's strange, I remember reading somewhere that human shields are back again.

Anyway, thanks for all of this, M!
I remember too. I didn't ask, but maybe it's just a placeholder for the demo. Sorry I couldn't give a fully satisfying answer but you're most welcome.

dimbismp
06-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks for answering M!
Another question:
Did they mention anything specific about blackboxes and generally big stealth missions?

Assassin_M
06-18-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks for answering M!
Another question:
Did they mention anything specific about blackboxes and generally big stealth missions?
Yes, the freedom from Unity is here to stay and with the new environmental stuff, they're saying it'll add another layer of freedom as there'll be a great variety of things to use against the AI in missions.

You're most welcome.

dimbismp
06-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Well,that's a relief..I guess that the game will be a more polished version of Unity,more or less,as we expected.Still,we have to wait and see if the story is any good.

Assassin_M
06-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Well,that's a relief..I guess that the game will be a more polished version of Unity,more or less,as we expected.Still,we have to wait and see if the story is any good.
So far, it seems like the Black Flag to AC III. I'm liking the direction of the story. The sibling theme, the return of the confessions. I'm hopeful.

Kaschra
06-18-2015, 07:21 PM
That sounds really great, Mo!
Makes me hopeful that the game will turn out good :)

Xstantin
06-18-2015, 07:22 PM
So far, it seems like the Black Flag to AC III.

that's great to hear. I guess I gotta start hyping Syndicate

bitebug2003
06-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Are you able to play the whole game as either Jacob or Evie, or are they mission dependant?

Democrito_71
06-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Are you able to play the whole game as either Jacob or Evie, or are they mission dependant?

According to my source when I played the Demo of Syndicate earlier today in Stockholm, he told me that there will be specific missions where you have to play either as Jacob or as Evie. When it comes to side missions and side contents, we'll be able to play as either Jacob or Evie depending on which you prefer most.

rrebe
06-18-2015, 07:52 PM
According to my source when I played the Demo of Syndicate earlier today in Stockholm, he told me that there will be specific missions where you have to play either as Jacob or as Evie. When it comes to side missions and side contents, we'll be able to play as either Jacob or Evie depending on which you prefer most.

That's great news!

bitebug2003
06-18-2015, 07:54 PM

OK that's nice we have a that choice :)

Thanks for letting us know

:)

ze_topazio
06-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Good lord M, 12 times, you always exaggerate, lol

Anyway, thanks for the report soldier, you did well.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/cf040fa24a5e053391279fa9363d13a7/tumblr_inline_nq3su0ylaq1qisnvc_500.gif

Unlike others I actually really liked what I saw when they announced the game, but the CGI video, gameplay video and Evie video shown at E3 were really meh, not bad but nothing special either, but that video of the demo people posted here yesterday was actually pretty good, so my faith is restored and I'm now carefully optimistic.

BTW, did you get any inside info of next year game?
Did you lobbied for that Egypt game everybody wants?
Did you tried the India game? what's you thoughts on that?
Did you tried any other game in the fair?
Where's that photo I requested of you and Sixkeys doing the fusion dance?
Did you danced during Jason Derulo performance?
How was the food?
Did you saw Reggie? was his body ready?
What's the meaning of life?

Democrito_71
06-18-2015, 07:58 PM
OK that's nice we have a that choice :)

Thanks for letting us know

:)

I'm sorry but maybe I was a bit unclear. When it comes to story missions, we can't choose whoever of the two protagonists we want to play as. Some missions are restricted to Jacob and others are restricted to Evie. But when it comes to the side content we can choose whoever we prefer best according to my source at Ubi;)

BananaBlighter
06-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Thank you very much for your opinionated report. I'm starting to get more excited with all this positive feedback after people have thoroughly played the game. It's almost as if Ubi made the gameplay walkthroughs look bad on purpose... What I'm most pleased to see is that they've addressed practically all the problems I had with Unity: clunky parkour; clunky cover in stealth; FPS; very basic combat. The only things that I'm now so happy about are the lack of coop, downgrade of interiors, and the combat in general. However, all these problems come with improvements. Lack of coop means we can expect some great singleplayer, while FPS is improving due to less interiors. The combat, while with little animations that aren't too impressive, is more in depth with a variety of finishers. One thing that many others have pointed out with the combat and definitely stands out to me, is that the enemy just sits about, and never blocks a single attack. Overall though, it's many of these little improvements which everyone found annoying in Unity that are getting me hyped.

bitebug2003
06-18-2015, 08:06 PM
I'm sorry but maybe I was a bit unclear. When it comes to story missions, we can't choose whoever of the two protagonists we want to play as. Some missions are restricted to Jacob and others are restricted to Evie. But when it comes to the side content we can choose whoever we prefer best according to my source at Ubi;)

Oh no you weren't unclear - I meant that regarding the side missions it's nice we have that choice :)

BananaBlighter
06-18-2015, 08:09 PM
BTW, is the combat insanely easy as it looks in many playthroughs, or does it have some difficulty that would force you in to stealth. It doesn't make sense if you can just mash up everyone all the time. However I feel that dual protagonists can be a solution to a problem they had in Unity. In Unity, you were supposed to be able to choose your playstyle, but were constantly forced in to stealth. Maybe the missions with Jacob will allow for more action, while maybe Evie isn't as good at fighting but better in stealth, giving us more variety in missions between combat and stealth?

Altair1789
06-18-2015, 08:10 PM
So you can't swing with the rope launcher, like in the train station leaked screenshot?

Also, the cane sword, can you actually use the sword part (even though it's much smaller than a normal sword) or is it just there for certain animations? Thanks for the report, it's good news

dimbismp
06-18-2015, 08:22 PM
So far, it seems like the Black Flag to AC III. I'm liking the direction of the story. The sibling theme, the return of the confessions. I'm hopeful.
Well,ACU had also a great potential regarding the story.But...

Btw,i am sorry to get off topic,but i don't remember your opinion on ACU's story M

GunnerGalactico
06-18-2015, 08:24 PM

This does sound great. :D

BTW, good analysis M. I'm starting to think that this game might not be so bad after all. Like everyone else, I'm also being cautiously optimistic.

BUMCFKSZY
06-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Sorry, if this was asked before but will after-assassination confessions return? And will Jacob have his own set of running and walking animations? Also, will we see the Kenway Manor?

BananaBlighter
06-18-2015, 08:35 PM
You said that one attack is a long animation, what if we are attacked during this animation? How can he smoothly leave the attack to counter the new enemy?

egriffin09
06-18-2015, 09:19 PM
M,

Did you ask anything about sequence structure? Like will it be 2 or 3 missions, the blackbox assassinations like Unity. I hope they return to old sequence structure with more memories (5 or 6 missions), then blackbox mission at the end of sequences.

TheHumanTowel
06-18-2015, 09:28 PM
Sounds interesting. I'm starting to feel like this will be an AC4 situation where people didn't expect much from the game and it will surprise people by turning out quite good. Obviously it benefits from being able to learn from Unity's mistakes.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-18-2015, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the report, M!

Always a pleasure to see your detailed posts about AC in general, biased or not :o

pacmanate
06-18-2015, 11:13 PM
The Syndicate combat looks nothing like the Arkham games. Although the Arkham combo moves can get fast, they are way smoother.

That is the problem with Syndicates combat, everything movement is fast, but jagged, like there aren't enough "bones" in the protag to make a move look smooth.

Shahkulu101
06-18-2015, 11:44 PM
The Syndicate combat looks nothing like the Arkham games. Although the Arkham combo moves can get fast, they are way smoother.

That is the problem with Syndicates combat, everything movement is fast, but jagged, like there aren't enough "bones" in the protag to make a move look smooth.

Yeah that's what he said, looks bad but plays good (and like the Arkham games).

X_xWolverinEx_X
06-19-2015, 01:26 AM
sixkeys thread was making me not like this game but i read all of this and now im starting to think that this is gonna be good

murphdawg1
06-19-2015, 02:23 AM
I'm just hoping they can lock it down to a consistent 30fps on the consoles. I'm not expecting the PS4 or Xbox One to do 60fps in an Assassin's Creed game, it would be nice but they just aren't powerful enough to do that.

Assassin_M
06-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Sorry, guys, I just woke up. Was a very hectic trip. Thanks to Democratico for answering some of the questions. I also apologize if some of my answers contradict mine.

Good lord M, 12 times, you always exaggerate, lol

Anyway, thanks for the report soldier, you did well.
Ask Sixkeys haha. I think the developers were ready for a different face, I can see it in their eyes "Oh....this guy"

Unlike others I actually really liked what I saw when they announced the game, but the CGI video, gameplay video and Evie video shown at E3 were really meh, not bad but nothing special either, but that video of the demo people posted here yesterday was actually pretty good, so my faith is restored and I'm now carefully optimistic.
I think I found out that i'm a very hands on person. I disliked for honor when I saw it, thinking it was gonna be a ryse son of rome clone but dang, when I played it, I completely changed my mind. Same with syndicate, I didnt think much of it but playing it feels better.

BTW, did you get any inside info of next year game?
Did you lobbied for that Egypt game everybody wants?
Nope, didn't want to get anybody fired now.

Did you tried the India game? what's you thoughts on that?
I didn't try it but I saw it in action. There were too many people waiting in line to play it for me to think it was worth it. I liked what I saw, though. I think it's more first civ heavy.

Did you tried any other game in the fair?
For Honor and the division.

Where's that photo I requested of you and Sixkeys doing the fusion dance?
Confidential

Did you danced during Jason Derulo performance?
No, I was more wondering how he's so famous with that voice....

How was the food?
It was gooooood. They were like "we only handle breakfast, lunch and dinner, any extra food is on you" and I'm just like "Mate, breakfast AND dinner are my extra meals"

Did you saw Reggie? was his body ready?
Totally ready

What's the meaning of life?
Chicken

Thank you very much for your opinionated report. I'm starting to get more excited with all this positive feedback after people have thoroughly played the game. It's almost as if Ubi made the gameplay walkthroughs look bad on purpose... What I'm most pleased to see is that they've addressed practically all the problems I had with Unity: clunky parkour; clunky cover in stealth; FPS; very basic combat. The only things that I'm now so happy about are the lack of coop, downgrade of interiors, and the combat in general. However, all these problems come with improvements. Lack of coop means we can expect some great singleplayer, while FPS is improving due to less interiors. The combat, while with little animations that aren't too impressive, is more in depth with a variety of finishers. One thing that many others have pointed out with the combat and definitely stands out to me, is that the enemy just sits about, and never blocks a single attack. Overall though, it's many of these little improvements which everyone found annoying in Unity that are getting me hyped.
Yeah, the first demo didn't exactly show anything completely new. Demos are always tweaked for less difficulty anyway, in regards to combat, so we'll see. They're pretty aggressive some times, though. Especially when you're ganged up on, I died a couple of times. You're most welcome

So you can't swing with the rope launcher, like in the train station leaked screenshot?

Also, the cane sword, can you actually use the sword part (even though it's much smaller than a normal sword) or is it just there for certain animations? Thanks for the report, it's good news
Neither swinging nor the cane were available in the demo. I believe we saw swinging in the new demo or I might be just remembering wrong.

Btw,i am sorry to get off topic,but i don't remember your opinion on ACU's story M
Liked Arno a lot. In short, felt that the story chose a very weak base to focus on. It didnt really take risks with that base even. The romance felt bland. Arno and Elise felt like 2 interreligious couple who come out on TV and say "Oh, our beliefs don't interfere with our love at all" but that just can't happen with THESE 2 BELIEFS. ESPECIALLY these 2 beliefs, assassin and templar.

This does sound great. :D

BTW, good analysis M. I'm starting to think that this game might not be so bad after all. Like everyone else, I'm also being cautiously optimistic.
Thank you and you're most welcome. I think everyone should remain that way. Even though AC:S is the first AC with trains, no one should board the hype one.

Sorry, if this was asked before but will after-assassination confessions return?
Totally fine. Yes, they're back.

And will Jacob have his own set of running and walking animations?
No. The explanation I got was that they wanted to cut down on costs. Animation is very expensive, especially with mo cap. He does have a couple of new animations, though. A side step animation when he passes by people and some new parkour animations.

Also, will we see the Kenway Manor?
Didnt ask, sorry but for what it's worth, one of the screenshots has a poster with the name Kenway on it.

You said that one attack is a long animation, what if we are attacked during this animation? How can he smoothly leave the attack to counter the new enemy?
It works like brotherhood. If you counter during an animation before dealing a blow to the enemy, they'll stay alive and you have beat them up again.

M,

Did you ask anything about sequence structure?
I didn't but sequence structure doesn't really matter nor does the number of memories. AC II had a lot of memories but a lot of them were just walk there, cutscene or JUST cutscene. AC II would divide a mission into 3 memories whilst ACU would keep the WHOLE mission as one memory. Most missions in ACU are larger and longer than most of the ones in AC II.

the blackbox assassinations like Unity.
They're back but I really want to address the black box missions because some people seem to think it's like a....special mechanic or something. Black box simply means being given a playground with lots of opportunities to tackle the mission as you want. It's not specific to interiors either, they're just open ended assassination missions, simple as that.

Thanks for the report, M!

Always a pleasure to see your detailed posts about AC in general, biased or not :o
You're most welcome and thank you

Key word. I said it plays like Arkham. Thank you, Shahk.

Sounds interesting. I'm starting to feel like this will be an AC4 situation where people didn't expect much from the game and it will surprise people by turning out quite good. Obviously it benefits from being able to learn from Unity's mistakes.
I felt the same way with Black Flag, to be honest. I saw it, said meh and now it's my favorite AC.

sixkeys thread was making me not like this game but i read all of this and now im starting to think that this is gonna be good
Haha, not downplaying sixkeys at all. Just saying how I felt. Hopefully it's not as bad as Unity's launch

I'm just hoping they can lock it down to a consistent 30fps on the consoles. I'm not expecting the PS4 or Xbox One to do 60fps in an Assassin's Creed game, it would be nice but they just aren't powerful enough to do that.
From what I was told, they're trying very hard to do that AND keep the graphical level of Unity. There's a lot of optimisation this time around.

Namikaze_17
06-19-2015, 07:12 PM
Great analysis, M. :)

Did they say anything for missions outside London?

For example, something like Fort Wolcott or Mad Doctor's Castle in AC3.

Assassin_M
06-19-2015, 10:42 PM
Great analysis, M. :)

Did they say anything for missions outside London?

For example, something like Fort Wolcott or Mad Doctor's Castle in AC3.
Thank you, mate.

No, I think Sixkeys asked that and he kind of dodged it.

Fort Wolcott and the castle are kind of successors to the tombs from AC II and ACB and since those wont return, i'm assuming there wont be anything like that in the final game.

The_Kiwi_
06-19-2015, 11:52 PM
Thanks for this, seems to be quite a positive reaction

One question, probably hard to answer, but do you know if there will be actual advantages/disadvantages between choosing characters in free-roam and side missions?

I want the characters to be so different in terms of gameplay that I have to choose wisely who I play as within certain scenarios, otherwise it just seems like a gimmick made to shut the feminists up

Mr_Shade
06-20-2015, 09:58 AM
^^ time will tell - you guys can't have all the cool stuff just yet - you need some surprises ;)

Also great thread M - my personal experience speaking to many hundred players after they played the demo [fans ranging from people who have played 1 or 2 games - to hardcore fans who have played every game multiple times] - was very positive..

'I think I found out that i'm a very hands on person. I disliked for honor when I saw it, thinking it was gonna be a ryse son of rome clone but dang, when I played it, I completely changed my mind. Same with syndicate, I didnt think much of it but playing it feels better.'

Oooh, good to hear!

The Community Manager working on For Honor say's hello by the way!

Hello!

SofaJockey
06-20-2015, 11:39 AM

Pretty much this,
it felt a little more grainy, graphically speaking,
but when it's fluid and enjoyable to move around, that concern passes very quickly.
The dirt suits Victorian London.

I felt I was fighting with ACU to control Arno.
I did not get that impression in the 20 min demo.
So I'm happy.

Mr_Shade
06-20-2015, 11:55 AM
So I'm happy.

This makes me happy too :)

D.I.D.
06-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Pretty much this,
it felt a little more grainy, graphically speaking,
but when it's fluid and enjoyable to move around, that concern passes very quickly.
The dirt suits Victorian London.

I felt I was fighting with ACU to control Arno.
I did not get that impression in the 20 min demo.
So I'm happy.

Tons of people were saying that Arkham Knight's combat looked clunky in the last gameplay video, and to an extent it does, but you see things as a spectator that you do not notice as a player. The game is picking up 10/10 at some of the most famously cautious sites such as Polygon, so I'm not regretting my preorder for PC (waiting for the 23rd for it to unlock!).

Democrito_71
06-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Sorry, guys, I just woke up. Was a very hectic trip. Thanks to Democratico for answering some of the questions.
Your'e welcome, Assassin_M ;)

Thanks for this, seems to be quite a positive reaction

One question, probably hard to answer, but do you know if there will be actual advantages/disadvantages between choosing characters in free-roam and side missions?

I want the characters to be so different in terms of gameplay that I have to choose wisely who I play as within certain scenarios, otherwise it just seems like a gimmick made to shut the feminists up

I did try to figure that out when I asked questions to a higher employee(who have direct contact to the bosses at Quebec/Montreal) but he dodged that question.

Instead, he told me the developers will add even more combat/finisher animations and that Jacob and Evie will have their own separate combat style since Jacob is more combat oriented while Evie is more stealthy in combat. We'll see more in August if there's advantages/disadvantages of playing either Jacob or Evie since my source told me that there'll reveal new gameplay, so Ubi have plenty of aces in their sleeves :cool:

The_Kiwi_
06-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Your'e welcome, Assassin_M ;)

I did try to figure that out when I asked questions to a higher employee(who have direct contact to the bosses at Quebec/Montreal) but he dodged that question.

Instead, he told me the developers will add even more combat/finisher animations and that Jacob and Evie will have their own separate combat style since Jacob is more combat oriented while Evie is more stealthy in combat. We'll see more in August if there's advantages/disadvantages of playing either Jacob or Evie since my source told me that there'll reveal new gameplay, so Ubi have plenty of aces in their sleeves :cool:

I hope it's more than just different animations
I want to play as Evie in stealth missions because it's the smart choice gameplay wise
Sure, you can say she's stealthy, but is she more mechanically stealthy than Jacob in the actual game, will she get detected less

Thanks for the info

Sorrosyss
06-20-2015, 04:50 PM
I want to play as Evie in stealth missions because it's the smart choice gameplay wise
Sure, you can say she's stealthy, but is she more mechanically stealthy than Jacob in the actual game, will she get detected less

Thanks for the info

That would be a pretty good system, and I agree that it would be good for a bit more difference between them. As you say, it would add some tactical decision making to certain situations. That, and playing as the less efficient twin would add a degree of extra difficulty for those who seek the challenge.

m4r-k7
06-20-2015, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the info

They did say that Jacob and Evie will have different skill trees. Evie's skill tree will be focused more on stealth I think so that may provide different gameplay opportunities in certain situations.

Assassin_M
06-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Tons of people were saying that Arkham Knight's combat looked clunky in the last gameplay video, and to an extent it does, but you see things as a spectator that you do not notice as a player. The game is picking up 10/10 at some of the most famously cautious sites such as Polygon, so I'm not regretting my preorder for PC (waiting for the 23rd for it to unlock!).
Exactly this. I was one of the people who agreed that the combat LOOKED terrible. Playing it was completely different.

Also great thread M - my personal experience speaking to many hundred players after they played the demo [fans ranging from people who have played 1 or 2 games - to hardcore fans who have played every game multiple times] - was very positive..
Thanks, had to do a lot of writing before posting it here. Yeah, the reaction on the subreddit is very positive as well.

Oooh, good to hear!

The Community Manager working on For Honor say's hello by the way!

Hello!
Edit: Ah.....you're talking about yourself...well, now I feel a little dense, Hi Shade :p

Consus_E
06-20-2015, 06:52 PM
1,000,000 thanks for this! As someone who didn't play Unity I was wondering if I should get Syndicate instead, some of the stuff you mentioned makes me excited for it.

Questions:
-Is fist fighting lethal? Does it kill the enemies you fight?

-Can the grappling hook be used in mid air?

-How is the ai?

Assassin_M
06-20-2015, 07:02 PM
1,000,000 thanks for this! As someone who didn't play Unity I was wondering if I should get Syndicate instead, some of the stuff you mentioned makes me excited for it.
You're most welcome. Keep in mind, though that my experience with Syndicate is based on mine with Unity.

Questions:

-Is fist fighting lethal? Does it kill the enemies you fight?
They don't move on the floor after finishing them off. I just pretend that they lost consciousnesses. Some finishers are definitely kills, though. There's also blood decal on the ground after they're taken out.

-Can the grappling hook be used in mid air?
Not when I tried it. The target footage that was leaked had him using it batman style, so maybe it just wasn't available in the demo

-How is the ai?
Civilian or enemy?

Consus_E
06-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Civilian or enemy?

Gang members specifically, Did your gang accidentally strike/shoot you? Did the guards do anything dumb that was noteworthy?
One of my least favorite things about boarding ships in AC4 was the way that the crew felt completely pointless and would sometimes get in my way.

Also any mention of the Kurki? Kinda curious if it's just a re-skinned cane/fists.

TheArcaneEagle
06-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Hi, sorry I just wanted to know what you meant by Random Events like Frozen Lakes. Do you mean like crowd events from Unity where thieves stole money from Parisians?

Assassin_M
06-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Hi, sorry I just wanted to know what you meant by Random Events like Frozen Lakes. Do you mean like crowd events from Unity where thieves stole money from Parisians?
Haha that's fine. It was a joke from 2012 when they mentioned random events and frozen lakes in AC III (both got axed in the final game). Yes, random events like the ones in Unity but more varied.

Gang members specifically, Did your gang accidentally strike/shoot you? Did the guards do anything dumb that was noteworthy?
Generally, enemy AI in demos is not representative of the final game. That said, there's no friendly fire and my gang members were pretty competent, taking out guys left and right. Enemies are the same as Unity. They're not as slow in attacking as previous games and they hit really hard. I also tinkered a little with the police, they work a lot like the police in GTA. They'll blow whistles which will attract more cops and I even got a police carriage chasing after me.

Also any mention of the Kurki? Kinda curious if it's just a re-skinned cane/fists.
Wasn't in Demo, sorry

jayjay275
06-20-2015, 07:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, did all of the brutes look the same; tall and bald (basically the models of brutes from Uncharted 3)?

Assassin_M
06-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Just out of curiosity, did all of the brutes look the same; tall and bald (basically the models of brutes from Uncharted 3)?
Yup. This was the case for this demo. I think that's how it's always been, though. I'v seen a few minor differences like some of them having beards, might be that there'll be more variants.

BananaBlighter
06-20-2015, 08:20 PM
Did any of the enemies ever dodge or block you attacks?

Assassin_M
06-20-2015, 08:22 PM
Did any of the enemies ever dodge or block you attacks?
Yes, brutes blocked my punches sometimes and the little guys sometimes dodged. Nothing new, always been that way. Archetypes need certain strategies to be open for attacks

BananaBlighter
06-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Yes, brutes blocked my punches sometimes and the little guys sometimes dodged. Nothing new, always been that way. Archetypes need certain strategies to be open for attacks

OK cool thanks, it's just that that never happened in the gameplay walkthroughs, so I was worried that eneies would just stand still becoming punching bags, basically making fighting boring.

jayjay275
06-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Yup. This was the case for this demo. I think that's how it's always been, though. I'v seen a few minor differences like some of them having beards, might be that there'll be more variants.

Oh that's okay.. I guess. Thanks for the response, and great thread by the way. It's just that in Unity, all the brutes were the same and had the same exact voices that shouted, " I'm the REAL patriot".
I know this is minor and most likely just irritates me, but I like having a bit more variety in enemies, but like you mentioned, some may have beards. However, since its in London it seems to be okay to go with the stereotype of bald characters I suppose.

I'm still dissatisfied with the fact that there is no toggle option for the hood. They've got the animation for it, and the fact that it only toggles when you crouch is just plain stupid. Is it not simple enough to just incorporate it into the weapon wheel?

How was the detection system by the way? I noticed in Unity that while it was slighlty better, it was broken in the sense that their detection meter would continue to rise for around half a second even if you broke their sight on you.

Consus_E
06-20-2015, 08:43 PM
So wait can you free run with the hood on? Or does he automatically equip the hat when you stand up?

Assassin_M
06-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Oh that's okay.. I guess. Thanks for the response, and great thread by the way. It's just that in Unity, all the brutes were the same and had the same exact voices that shouted, " I'm the REAL patriot".
You're most welcome and thank you. I can see how this would irritate people, so no argument from me. It's just been there for so long that I just stopped taking note of it.

I'm still dissatisfied with the fact that there is no toggle option for the hood. They've got the animation for it, and the fact that it only toggles when you crouch is just plain stupid. Is it not simple enough to just incorporate it into the weapon wheel?
Same here. The animation has been there since AC III but for some reason, they're not implementing it more freely, it has to be tied with something. At first, I thought maybe it was a technical reason but as it kept evolving, I just scratch my head now. I mean, heck, in AC IV, Edward freely put up and took down his hood when you entered and exited detection zones.

How was the detection system by the way? I noticed in Unity that while it was slighlty better, it was broken in the sense that their detection meter would continue to rise for around half a second even if you broke their sight on you.
The detection system works the same way as before mechanically but different aesthetically. Now, along with arrows above heads, there'll be a circle around Jacob showing the direction of the enemies seeing him. It's yellow when they see you and gray when you break their line of sight. It worked well for me, no glitches.

OK cool thanks, it's just that that never happened in the gameplay walkthroughs, so I was worried that eneies would just stand still becoming punching bags, basically making fighting boring.
You're welcome. Demos are most unreliable when looking at enemy AI. The difficulty is always greatly tweaked to simply transfer the idea of what the gameplay is like to the audience.

Assassin_M
06-20-2015, 08:47 PM
So wait can you free run with the hood on? Or does he automatically equip the hat when you stand up?
He automatically puts his hat on when you stop sneaking. In sneak mode, you can parkour, run, use rope launcher, anything but when you're idle, you crouch. So, yes. You can do everything high profile with your hood on but when you're not doing anything or just walking, you'll be crouched.

jayjay275
06-20-2015, 09:03 PM
You're most welcome and thank you. I can see how this would irritate people, so no argument from me. It's just been there for so long that I just stopped taking note of it.

Same here. The animation has been there since AC III but for some reason, they're not implementing it more freely, it has to be tied with something. At first, I thought maybe it was a technical reason but as it kept evolving, I just scratch my head now. I mean, heck, in AC IV, Edward freely put up and took down his hood when you entered and exited detection zones.

The detection system works the same way as before mechanically but different aesthetically. Now, along with arrows above heads, there'll be a circle around Jacob showing the direction of the enemies seeing him. It's yellow when they see you and gray when you break their line of sight. It worked well for me, no glitches..

That's great to hear, thank you! I just don't understand why they're rejecting feedback from the fans when it comes to this. They know that we want it, and after seeing Loomer's interview "MAC" disregarded the idea of toggling for a good because he thought he knew better. All I'm saying really is that we've long wanted this option, and they know we want it.

Altair1789
06-20-2015, 09:25 PM
That's great to hear, thank you! I just don't understand why they're rejecting feedback from the fans when it comes to this. They know that we want it, and after seeing Loomer's interview "MAC" disregarded the idea of toggling for a good because he thought he knew better. All I'm saying really is that we've long wanted this option, and they know we want it.

I really don't understand why Marc defended it by saying having a hood up indicates you're crouching. Doesn't crouching indicate you're crouching?

jayjay275
06-20-2015, 09:38 PM
I really don't understand why Marc defended it by saying having a hood up indicates you're crouching. Doesn't crouching indicate you're crouching?
Exactly. His reason was totally unjustified.

SixKeys
06-20-2015, 10:16 PM
The detection system works the same way as before mechanically but different aesthetically. Now, along with arrows above heads, there'll be a circle around Jacob showing the direction of the enemies seeing him. It's yellow when they see you and gray when you break their line of sight. It worked well for me, no glitches.

Along with the "hood indicates crouching" nonsense, IMO there are too many unnecessary visual indicators for everything. The detection arrows were huge in the demo, much worse than the small ones in previous games, the direction-indicator circle you mentioned is also rather pointless, Jacob has this weird hula hoop circle around him whenever he crouches, we have the GPS trailer for horses etc. etc. Part of AC1's brilliance was the subtlety of its visual cues which made it possible to play through the entire thing without HUD and minimap. Now with each game they keep adding more and more gamey elements that you can't even always turn off, like the mission markers.

launcelotdulac
06-20-2015, 10:28 PM
Is taking over the gang headquarters similar to conquering outposts in Far Cry? That was probably the most interesting side activity in FC4, it's fun if it's possible to play it out stealthily.

Is it possible to shoot while driving? That was a great addition in FC4, should be fun even without the grenade launcher.

Environmental kills is yet another thing that makes me think of -- you guessed it -- Far Cry (I'll say nothing about the grappling hook). Not necessarily a bad thing.

The problem with customizations in Unity was that many of them weren't very rewarding. There is a 25000F item with +13% to noise suppression and a 125000F item with +28% noise suppression. Whoopee. I wasn't able to feel any difference. I wish they would come up with more useful and rewarding upgrades instead of deciding the whole idea didn't work.

I actually liked the color palette in Unity a lot, the warm yellowish daylight colors were the best ever.

EDIT: I wrote about the grenade launcher as a joke, and then I thought: what stops them from letting us play with out-of-the-historical-period weapons once in a while? Like, just for one sequence letting us say "We have got the Maxim gun, and they have not". Or turning it around and letting us play The High Crusade (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Crusade). Unity came close to that.

EmbodyingSeven5
06-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Did you ask about Evie and how she will play differently from Jacob?
Did you get any sense of Jacobs personality as you played?
Evie details in general?
Did you see the prices for products like medicine etc?
Is regen healing returning?
Thanks for all the info too (:

EmbodyingSeven5
06-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Is taking over the gang headquarters similar to conquering outposts in Far Cry? That was probably the most interesting side activity in FC4, it's fun if it's possible to play it out stealthily.

Is it possible to shoot while driving? That was a great addition in FC4, should be fun even without the grenade launcher.

Environmental kills is yet another thing that makes me think of -- you guessed it -- Far Cry (I'll say nothing about the grappling hook). Not necessarily a bad thing.

The problem with customizations in Unity was that many of them weren't very rewarding. There is a 25000F item with +13% to noise suppression and a 125000F item with +28% noise suppression. Whoopee. I wasn't able to feel any difference. I wish they would come up with more useful and rewarding upgrades instead of deciding the whole idea didn't work.

I actually liked the color palette in Unity a lot, the warm yellowish daylight colors were the best ever.
Stuff in the game was really overpriced too. Medicine for 2,000 WTF!?

SixKeys
06-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Regarding money, I looted some dead corpses and one body alone would yield £100. WTF? :eek:

m4r-k7
06-20-2015, 10:55 PM
^ Lol £100 back then was an absolutely insane amount of money

EmbodyingSeven5
06-20-2015, 10:58 PM
I just hope the economy is better in this one because Unitys was messed up!

Namikaze_17
06-20-2015, 11:39 PM
Regarding money, I looted some dead corpses and one body alone would yield £100. WTF? :eek:

Did the corpse look wealthy?

SixKeys
06-21-2015, 12:05 AM
Did the corpse look wealthy?

I don't remember, but someone else posted gameplay from the same demo where the player took down a regular thug and also got £100 from him.

THE_JOKE_KING33
06-21-2015, 12:50 AM
I just hope the economy is better in this one because Unitys was messed up!

No kidding.

I don't remember, but someone else posted gameplay from the same demo where the player took down a regular thug and also got £100 from him.

Might just be a fixed amount for demo/Alpha purposes then.

Legendz54
06-21-2015, 02:22 AM
I have to say from what I have seen on youtube when people actually utilise the dodge and counter buttons the combat does look much much better, I think this will be the Black Flag to Unity, I also think ACS will have the most interesting Modern day that we have had in a while if the rumours that a new Modern Day 3rd person protagonist is returning is true.... Everyone complained and wanted it out.. they did that.. and now everyone wants it back.. MAKE UP YOUR MINDS PEOPLE.. Kenways will no doubt be referenced as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09EyA4ztYSk

BTW As soon as I have enough money I'm changing Jacobs outfit to a hooded one.

Hey M, Did you ask about the variety of weapons that we could purchase in the game? Or is it limited to Daggers, Pistols and Cane swords? What is the thing your most excited for after playing ACS.

frodrigues55
06-21-2015, 02:03 PM
This was really a great thread. Your impressions left me more optimistic about this game.

As someone who really LOVES Unity, I was pretty bummed with Syndicate at first because it seems like all of the elements I thought that were great were removed and replaced in favor of action bits. I hope that's not the case in the end.

I just wish they showed more of the traditional side at E3 too, Black Flag's first E3 demo had both sides and it was amazing. I'm still waiting for this to happen for Sindicate because both gameplay videos so far were really underwhelming for me. And the gang liberation thing has been done since Brotherhood and it looked like absolutely nothing has changed, so I hope to see more assassination missions to see how that goes.

And finally, even though it might play great, it still looks very rough. I've learned that AC rarely fixes its rough edges before release, and I can't see another great game being held by tecnical issues again. Those animations desperetly need more fluidity and polishment, I really can't deal with another AC looking unfinished like that.

EDIT - I just saw another E3 demo from some Playstation demo. It's funny, it looks way better even if the player doesn't know how to do it at first. For some reason, UBI's official videos are the worst looking by far?

Assassin_M
06-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Hey M, Did you ask about the variety of weapons that we could purchase in the game? Or is it limited to Daggers, Pistols and Cane swords? What is the thing your most excited for after playing ACS.
I didnt, no, i'm sorry. After finishing the gang hideout, though, I was given a new knife from Henry. I'm assuming the knife and cane will be the only weapons but they'll have variations of them.

Did you ask about Evie and how she will play differently from Jacob?
Different skill trees.

Did you get any sense of Jacobs personality as you played?
Not really, but he seems closest to Edward

Evie details in general?
None unfortunately, except that she kind of has to sometimes steer Jacob back into the Assassin path.

Did you see the prices for products like medicine etc?
I didnt find any shops

Is regen healing returning?
Nope, it's like Unity, by medicine.

Thanks for all the info too (:
You're most welcome

I don't know about FC, but they're like Borgia towers, Templar Dens and forts.

Is it possible to shoot while driving?
Yes

For what it's worth, they said they're cutting down on unnecessary customization options and keeping everything substantial. Quality over Quantity basically.

I think the colorfulness of London will have a charm to it.

And finally, even though it might play great, it still looks very rough. I've learned that AC rarely fixes its rough edges before release, and I can't see another great game being held by tecnical issues again. Those animations desperetly need more fluidity and polishment, I really can't deal with another AC looking unfinished like that.

I'll give you that it does look rough and even the guys we talked to said that they'll try to polish it more before release but when a sequence starts going, even though it can be weird at first, it's smoother than brotherhood's kill streaks.

EmptyCrustacean
06-21-2015, 10:40 PM
Can we have an opinion from someone who has played the demo and ISNT a Unity fanboy?

Assassin_M
06-21-2015, 10:44 PM
Can we have an opinion from someone who has played the demo and ISNT a Unity fanboy?
I'm not a Unity fanboy...and neither is Sixkeys. Sixkeys is a she, fangirl.

EmptyCrustacean
06-21-2015, 10:59 PM
I'm not a Unity fanboy...and neither is Sixkeys. Sixkeys is a she, fangirl.

I wasn't talking about SixKeys, fanboy.

frodrigues55
06-21-2015, 11:19 PM
I'll give you that it does look rough and even the guys we talked to said that they'll try to polish it more before release but when a sequence starts going, even though it can be weird at first, it's smoother than brotherhood's kill streaks.

Well, to be fair I might be getting used to it already, because I don't see it as rough as I was first seeing on the official Ubi videos. The thing is, its "roughness" really stood out to almost everyone, so there might be something there that isn't working. I hope they just won't *try* to change it.

Looking back, it's funny when you think how smooth AC3 moves were. I would understand how it got lost in the transition to ACU, but I will never understand how it got so crazy from AC3 to Black Flag.

Assassin_M
06-21-2015, 11:36 PM
I wasn't talking about SixKeys, fanboy.
Then go to her thread, why are you here, Steven?

EmptyCrustacean
06-21-2015, 11:58 PM
Then go to her thread, why are you here, Steven?

As your Lord and Saviour Haytham Kenway once said: "curiosity"
And you didn't disappoint. Post was as predictable as ever.

The_Kiwi_
06-22-2015, 12:17 AM
The cynicism is strong in this one

Assassin_M
06-22-2015, 12:22 AM
As your Lord and Saviour Haytham Kenway once said: "curiosity"
Nah, I still think you're just having a bad day and you wanted to direct it at someone, you cranky rabbit.

And you didn't disappoint. Post was as predictable as ever.
Of course, I don't think anyone predicted less than amazing, so.

Locopells
06-22-2015, 12:23 AM
Guys, knock it off, you've already argued in the GUNS thread, just agree to disagree already...

Assassin_M
06-22-2015, 12:28 AM
Guys, knock it off
Hehe okay.

crusader_prophet
06-22-2015, 12:58 AM
I want to know this -->

Create a mind-blowing story with multiple peaks and troughs in narrative and an amazing cliffhanger that will leave players, critics and developers in awe and begging for more. Modern day HAS to become more relevant and impressive narrative. Remember the first feeling when a hooded figure overlooking the trials and disappeared with the chime of a bell and moved through the crowds seamlessly to unleash his hidden blade's fury on the templars? THAT...We need THAT bone chiling ambience of unexpected results and narrative.
Make side missions tied to the main narrative and end-game outcome. Get rid of collectibles with no purpose. Decisions should impact final game outcome (in both significant and subtle ways).
Instill deep skill trees, increasingly difficult enemies/gameplay/crafting with story progression and better rewards. But better rewards should not make defeating the game easy.
AVOID REPETITIVENESS!!!
DO NOT CHANGE TO A NEW CHARACTER FOR NEXT GAME!!! MAKE A TRILOGY! People needs to fall in love with the characters and grow emotional relationship like Altair and Ezio.

Does anyone AC fan care about award winning story in AC? You guys are experts and I see so less chatter about the declining narrative in the franchise.

The_Kiwi_
06-22-2015, 01:22 AM
I want to know this -->

Create a mind-blowing story with multiple peaks and troughs in narrative and an amazing cliffhanger that will leave players, critics and developers in awe and begging for more. Modern day HAS to become more relevant and impressive narrative. Remember the first feeling when a hooded figure overlooking the trials and disappeared with the chime of a bell and moved through the crowds seamlessly to unleash his hidden blade's fury on the templars? THAT...We need THAT bone chiling ambience of unexpected results and narrative.
Make side missions tied to the main narrative and end-game outcome. Get rid of collectibles with no purpose. Decisions should impact final game outcome (in both significant and subtle ways).
Instill deep skill trees, increasingly difficult enemies/gameplay/crafting with story progression and better rewards. But better rewards should not make defeating the game easy.
AVOID REPETITIVENESS!!!
DO NOT CHANGE TO A NEW CHARACTER FOR NEXT GAME!!! MAKE A TRILOGY! People needs to fall in love with the characters and grow emotional relationship like Altair and Ezio.

Does anyone AC fan care about award winning story in AC? You guys are experts and I see so less chatter about the declining narrative in the franchise.

Character trilogies are boring
I was so disappointed when yet another Ezio game was released, twice
I think it severely diminished Altaļr's role
How come Ezio got 3 games and Altaļr only got one?
I thought that was inconsistent and annoying

What they actually need to do is conclude a character's story in one episode so they can move on to another character

crusader_prophet
06-22-2015, 01:30 AM
Character trilogies are boring
I was so disappointed when yet another Ezio game was released, twice
I think it severely diminished Altaļr's role
How come Ezio got 3 games and Altaļr only got one?
I thought that was inconsistent and annoying

What they actually need to do is conclude a character's story in one episode so they can move on to another character

Yes I wish Altair and Shay could get more games. I see your point on the boredom of having a character for trilogy...but most games with good writers can pull off trilogies without boring ...see Mass Effect, Uncharted, Witcher...it can be done. To be honest I have not been able to feel for any character since Altair and Ezio. Shay and Haytham triggered some excitement in me but they weren't treated as first class citizens in the franchise...shame.

Xstantin
06-22-2015, 01:57 AM
Shay and Haytham triggered some excitement in me but they weren't treated as first class citizens in the franchise...shame.

no one was treated as first class citizens since forever :p

Assassin_M
06-22-2015, 02:01 AM
This is for future reference and to avoid further problems. I believe my views here are known well enough and if they're not, i'll add them to the OP. If you find that as a fan, i'm disagreeable, there's Sixkeys' thread, which is better constructed than mine anyway and has more stuff. There's also the myriad of other opinions from the London tour. I wont customize my views to your liking. It is what it is.

ze_topazio
06-22-2015, 02:17 AM
You don't need trilogies to have great characters, I did not "fell in love" with Ezio after three games, I liked him after the first game and that's why I played the sequels, and the best memories I have of him are the ones from his first game .
Besides this is a videogame, no amazing storyline will leave critics and players in awe if the actual game sucks, storyline should never be the priority.

I don't know if this has been asked before but, M, did you learned if rifts will return?

crusader_prophet
06-22-2015, 02:28 AM
You don't need trilogies to have great characters, I did not "fell in love" with Ezio after three games, I liked him after the first game and that's why I played the sequels, and the best memories I have of him are the ones from his first game .
Besides this is a videogame, no amazing storyline will leave critics and players in awe if the actual game sucks, storyline should never be the priority.

I don't know if this has been asked before but, M, did you learned if rifts will return?

Exactly my point if we fall in love with a character (such as Shay, Haytham, Edward, Adewale), why not continue their stories and instead create a discontinuity. I do agree that we fall in love with the character from their first installment. And AC is no bloodborne or dark souls where story matters the least because the gameplay is off the charts. AC relies on gameplay combined with storyline, without it I don't think there is enough incentive in terms of gameplay to continue the franchise for so long. Lot of people like AC: BF because it introduced some new gameplay elements, but for me AC: rogue was better because it had a better character, story and the fascinating gameplay from BF. You might disagree. For me BF does not sit as one of the top AC games, it is even lower than AC; Revelations in my list of liking.

Knightishonor
06-22-2015, 02:32 AM
How long do you think the campaign will be? Just take a guess.

Altair1789
06-22-2015, 02:46 AM
Create a mind-blowing story with multiple peaks and troughs in narrative and an amazing cliffhanger that will leave players, critics and developers in awe and begging for more.

I believe that's the plan, at least for most game devs. I don't know about Ubisoft anymore, it seems they want a simple and quick story to get more people to play the game

AVOID REPETITIVENESS!!!

Side missions can't impact the game significantly unless they destroy all the animus mechanics

I don't like trilogies. We've had an Ezio trilogy, then everyone started calling AC3 an unoriginal game for not having Ezio. They criticize Assassin's Creed for being the same game each year, but lose their feces when there's a major change in mechanics and atmosphere. Trilogies just get people attached honestly, and if we have trilogies for each character from now on, all the 18th century assassins would at the very least deserve a major game to close off their stories, which Ubisoft seems to not want to do. You don't need a trilogy to be attached to a character, and with Ubi's current plans, having more people attached to characters is a bad thing. It's why 3 Ezio games might not have been a good idea in hindsight, so many people just want Ezio. The game's going to be going for another 10-20 years, attachment is a terrible thing. Plus the range of settings we'll be getting will be narrowed down if we need to follow one guy for 3 whole games

Assassin_M
06-22-2015, 02:47 AM
How long do you think the campaign will be? Just take a guess.
15-20 hours

Sixkeys asked this and the guy said wait and see, which I think means they'll return but that's just me (Tried to get him to slip up but he was too crafty)

Assassin_M
06-22-2015, 02:56 AM
Create a mind-blowing story with multiple peaks and troughs in narrative and an amazing cliffhanger that will leave players, critics and developers in awe and begging for more.
I think that's the plan every time...You know, it doesn't take a magnificent feat of thought to think "Hey, I wanna make a mind blowing story". There's no standard on "amazing" or "mindblowing", it's all subjective. You don't like Black Flag, I think it's the best AC game.

Modern day HAS to become more relevant and impressive narrative.
Not necessarily. Unity did not have such a bad reception because it had no modern day. AC IV is the second most popular game and, according to some people, it had minuscule modern day. Not like Unity but it was still less than what we got in AC III.

Remember the first feeling when a hooded figure overlooking the trials and disappeared with the chime of a bell and moved through the crowds seamlessly to unleash his hidden blade's fury on the templars? THAT...We need THAT bone chiling ambience of unexpected results and narrative.
Very vague. Are you talking about a trailer? Cinematic? What you're describing isn't narrative.

Make side missions tied to the main narrative and end-game outcome.
Why? Would tying delivering letters to the main narrative make it a better side quest strand, from a gameplay prespective?

Get rid of collectibles with no purpose.
Yes...Agreed with this.

Decisions should impact final game outcome (in both significant and subtle ways).
Not really how AC works.

AVOID REPETITIVENESS!!!
Why is this in bold? I don't think we'v had this problem this AC I.

John Marston
Joel
Edward Kenway

Just off the top of my head. One game each but very popular, so. This is not a one guy series. For the longest time, Ezio was AC. Still is to some people. That sucks. That's not AC. It's not Tomb Raider nor Uncharted. Yes, multiple games make players like the characters more but that doesn't really mean anything. I thought Ezio was terrible but I still like him because of all the years we spent playing as him. AC should never revolve around ONE Assassin. If it's anyone, it's Desmond and he's dead.

Well, maybe that's because it's...subjective?

Mr.Black24
06-22-2015, 03:41 AM
Not necessarily. Unity did not have such a bad reception because it had no modern day. AC IV is the second most popular game and, according to some people, it had minuscule modern day. Not like Unity but it was still less than what we got in AC III. Some folks kind of wanted a little more of that segment in AC IV, including myself. During the circumstances in that time, I accepted and understood the whole 3rd person mode. Although I do hope that they cut that in Syndicate, after playing as Desmond in AC3, I want some segments with me being in the field as well as hacking around for stuff. People really did crap on that, but I saw it as a possible bridge that they can take us over to greener fields. In addition, a new modern day protagonist would be nice too.

John Marston
Joel
Edward Kenway

Just off the top of my head. One game each but very popular, so. This is not a one guy series. For the longest time, Ezio was AC. Still is to some people. That sucks. That's not AC. It's not Tomb Raider nor Uncharted. Yes, multiple games make players like the characters more but that doesn't really mean anything. I thought Ezio was terrible but I still like him because of all the years we spent playing as him. AC should never revolve around ONE Assassin. If it's anyone, it's Desmond and he's dead.

Well, maybe that's because it's...subjective?

Agreed.

To this day them normies uphold Ezio as the god of AC, lol. Ezio is cool and all, but man, not every Assassin should be him. Although I do say that just one sequel to close the book on characters, if it hasn't been done in their first game, but thats just me.

I am still bitter about how Connor, Aveline, Shay, and Arno's open ended "endings"

I-Like-Pie45
06-22-2015, 03:53 AM
well it was pretty obvious that ubi was building arno as the next trilogy but then his lukewarm reception came so its pretty obvious they rushed out victory which was probably planned for 2017 which explains the combat animations and incomplete recreation of London while they retool the planned Arno games in development with new characters

#insidejob

but anyways will there be any fight club missions for evie

i'd sure love to have her get down and dirty with some other girls you know with real-time ripping and tearing and scratching and pulling

#feminism

The_Kiwi_
06-22-2015, 04:04 AM

i'd sure love to have her get down and dirty with some other girls you know with real-time ripping and tearing and scratching and pulling

#feminism

Throw some mud in there for good measure
And Evie should probably do it naked because obviously she can't afford to get more clothes if she dirties her current ones

Xstantin
06-22-2015, 04:05 AM
well it was pretty obvious that ubi was building arno as the next trilogy but then his lukewarm reception came so its pretty obvious they rushed out victory which was probably planned for 2017 which explains the combat animations and incomplete recreation of London while they retool the planned Arno games in development with new characters

that makes perfect sense

Namikaze_17
06-22-2015, 04:08 AM

The moments when you speak normal...

GoldenBoy9999
06-22-2015, 06:42 AM
Great thread, _M. Lots of good information here. I'm way more excited now than I was before this E3.

Were you able to look at the map and see if collectibles and other unnecessary things like chests had been toned down? I'd have to say that's one of my least favorite parts of Unity, as I'm still playing it today to 100% it. Big grind in my opinion.

This may be too vague of a question, but did you find the moment to moment gameplay improved? When I switched from Rogue to Unity, it was fresh and new, but sometimes I just lose interest. I feel like this can easily be improved with new tools like the rope launcher though, and the carriages should act like a counterpart to ships which I think made AC IV exciting. Without ships, Unity was stripped down and felt a little bare after I've put so many hours into it. Would you say the rope launcher and carriages (and trains I guess but I think you said those weren't in the demo) liven things up?

Like you, the thing I like most about AC is the historical open world. Paris was great and very detailed, does Syndicate improve on that? The things you already mentioned like new football animations and signs sound good, but I'm just wondering if there were any other improvements to this aspect.

Branching off from that, Unity's Paris was kind of building after building. Could you tell if the train stations, railways, wider streets with carriages, large rivers with boats, and what looks like nature parks (end of newest gameplay demo to the left and right of the train tracks) changed things up and made London seem more like a living, breathing world?

Legendz54
06-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Can you shoot while rope launching/ zip lining??

Consus_E
06-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Can you turn around while zip-lining? Can you stop and hang from the cable? Just curious because I noticed in gameplay that Jacob has to pull himself along when he runs out of forward momentum when zip-lining, at least that's what it looked like to me.

rob.davies2014
06-22-2015, 11:05 AM
I know it's a long shot but can you turn off the white/yellow line which highlights your enemies?

I've always disliked the white highlighting and wanted the option to remove it but this yellow line just looks even worse. It breaks my immersion in the game and should be optional in my opinion.

EmptyCrustacean
06-22-2015, 11:11 AM

#insidejob

#feminism

I can't tell if you're kidding or not but I don't think Ubi ever had any intention of making a trilogy with Arno. The general feeling is that they knew Unity would be poorly received before release which is why they wouldn't lift embargo until most people had all ready bought the game. I think they simply used Unity as a tester for Syndicate.

crusader_prophet
06-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Side missions can't impact the game significantly unless they destroy all the animus mechanics

I don't like trilogies. We've had an Ezio trilogy, then everyone started calling AC3 an unoriginal game for not having Ezio. They criticize Assassin's Creed for being the same game each year, but lose their feces when there's a major change in mechanics and atmosphere. Trilogies just get people attached honestly, and if we have trilogies for each character from now on, all the 18th century assassins would at the very least deserve a major game to close off their stories, which Ubisoft seems to not want to do. You don't need a trilogy to be attached to a character, and with Ubi's current plans, having more people attached to characters is a bad thing. It's why 3 Ezio games might not have been a good idea in hindsight, so many people just want Ezio. The game's going to be going for another 10-20 years, attachment is a terrible thing. Plus the range of settings we'll be getting will be narrowed down if we need to follow one guy for 3 whole games

What do you mean they have to destroy Animus mechanics to make side missions relevant? Wouldn't it make more sense for an assassin ancestor to have ran errands or do little things in his life before assassinating a target because it will provide him/her advantage? for example, in Unity we were promised that as Arno we will create an impact to the fate of the country and the revolution. The Paris stories, murder mysteries, Nostradamus missions could have all played a role in my leveling (in subtle or significant ways) and how much knowledge I possess prior to assassinating a target, because I would need to gain that experience and wisdom prior to just running into a palace or stronghold to take down a Templar. those actions could have all contributed to the overall effectiveness of the civilians uprising against the aristocracy and my role in influencing the revolution and the style of the narrative's outcome.

straty88
06-22-2015, 10:00 PM
I know it's a long shot but can you turn off the white/yellow line which highlights your enemies?

I've always disliked the white highlighting and wanted the option to remove it but this yellow line just looks even worse. It breaks my immersion in the game and should be optional in my opinion.

You could do this for Unity, thankfully. Hopefully it transfers over. You could turn off pretty much everything besides mission markers. I also hope they bring back the hold R3 to turn the HUD on and off back. That was a nice small touch.

Wolfmeister1010
06-22-2015, 11:23 PM
Sucks that interiors and graphics were toned down so much because of Unity issues.

You'd think PC would be able to handle better textures. And draw distance. Specially since now, by release, even more powerful GPUs will be out, as well as freaking windows 10/dx 12 which could add massive FPS boosts if it was developed with DX12 in mind

But then again when have they ever made the PC version any better? Comes down to the lowest denominator.

Maybe they'll improve it by release?

The_Kiwi_
06-22-2015, 11:51 PM
Sucks that interiors and graphics were toned down so much because of Unity issues.

You'd think PC would be able to handle better textures. And draw distance. Specially since now, by release, even more powerful GPUs will be out, as well as freaking windows 10/dx 12 which could add massive FPS boosts if it was developed with DX12 in mind

But then again when have they ever made the PC version any better? Comes down to the lowest denominator.

The console fanbase is always going to be a far greater target for marketing than PC gamers
Even is PC gamers outnumber console gamers, consoles are still going to win companies over

What's more enticing to the general audience:

"Come play our game, all you need to do is get a console and play!"

"Come play our game, all you need is a capable PC that has at least xxx graphics card, xxx processor, xxx RAM etc!"

Consoles will always win over PC in the long run
Companies like Ubisoft understand this
The game is going to be what it is, and people shouldn't complain about it not being something that they think it could have been

Wolfmeister1010
06-23-2015, 12:09 AM
The game is going to be what it is, and people shouldn't complain about it not being something that they think it could have been

..Uhhhh

It is completely fine for me to be disappointed. Because basically they are saying

"Oh, Unity had some FPS issues? We already basically fixed them, but instead of thinking of ways and/or taking time to make sure they don't happen in this game, let's just take out anything that was performance intensive completely! That way we're safe".

That's what this game reeks of. Safety.

I'm happy that M found many good things in the demo, but that doesn't mean I can't be a bit wistful about what could have been with a longer dev time and a more committed dev company.

I don't even think it's a ubisoft thing completely. It's just the franchise. We got games like The Division and Far Cry where devs are truly communicating with fans, and then with AC it's just a shot in the dark and a faint hope.

(Although now that I think about it, Massive Stuidos working on the division is just Ubisoft in name since they were acquired. Still the same people as before ubisoft. Go figure)

The least they could do is allow for .ini files to be tweaked, maybe some env files.

The_Kiwi_
06-23-2015, 12:48 AM
..Uhhhh

It is completely fine for me to be disappointed. Because basically they are saying

"Oh, Unity had some FPS issues? We already basically fixed them, but instead of thinking of ways and/or taking time to make sure they don't happen in this game, let's just take out anything that was performance intensive completely! That way we're safe".

That's what this game reeks of. Safety.

I'm happy that M found many good things in the demo, but that doesn't mean I can't be a bit wistful about what could have been with a longer dev time and a more committed dev company.

I don't even think it's a ubisoft thing completely. It's just the franchise. We got games like The Division and Far Cry where devs are truly communicating with fans, and then with AC it's just a shot in the dark and a faint hope.

(Although now that I think about it, Massive Stuidos working on the division is just Ubisoft in name since they were acquired. Still the same people as before ubisoft. Go figure)

The least they could do is allow for .ini files to be tweaked, maybe some env files.

I wasn't implying you were complaining, I apologise if that's how I came across
I was just making a general point

Wolfmeister1010
06-23-2015, 01:59 AM
I wasn't implying you were complaining, I apologise if that's how I came across
I was just making a general point

It's okay. Your point, in general, I agree with.

Just a bit peeved out how they are handling Syndicate

The_Kiwi_
06-23-2015, 02:20 AM
It's okay. Your point, in general, I agree with.

Just a bit peeved out how they are handling Syndicate

And you have every right to, just as Ubisoft has the right to make their game as they wish, and that's to cater to the larger money making audience
Remember, it's your choice to play on PC

Not pointing fingers, but I hate when people complain about frame rate or resolution, because it's not the end of the world
For people who complain, just shut up and move on, you can't change it, and don't talk **** about the standard you think it should be when you're not the one making the game

The only wishes I have for the game is that it has a good and meaningful story, good AC gameplay and good characters

So far I don't have much hope, with the stupid batman hook and the stupid dual protagonist gimmick, it looks like a desperate attempt to make the game seem fresh after so many releases

But I'm not going to judge the quality of the game based on frame rate or resolution

Ezio270
06-23-2015, 11:30 AM
What about the snowy weather in the game ? :'( missed it ..

D.I.D.
06-23-2015, 11:50 AM
So far I don't have much hope, with the stupid batman hook and the stupid dual protagonist gimmick, it looks like a desperate attempt to make the game seem fresh after so many releases

But I'm not going to judge the quality of the game based on frame rate or resolution

I think that moment in the demo with the chase through the train station justified the grappling hook, when Jacob loses sight of the target and zips up onto the iron beams for a better look. That one thing alone made the device work for me. I was okay with it as a time-saving machine for our new 1:1 worlds, and I thought it was a good thing for our Industrial Revolution heroes to have a silly mechanical tool to fit the theme, but now we saw it displaying a real positive use.

Consus_E
06-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Can you jump off/out of the carriage while it's moving?

Namikaze_17
06-23-2015, 12:31 PM

I believe so.

rprkjj
06-23-2015, 05:46 PM
Reading this made me much more positive about the game, thanks M. It's also nice to see that the game is already starting to improve in the graphics department. The new Bloody Nora demo they showed looks a bit better than the one they showed at the announcement. The Strain demo also really showed off that beautiful indoor lighting that was in Unity.

The way it turns Jacobs outfit almost pitch black and shines on the brick is beautiful. What sells me on the hook is its use as a bridge across the uber wide London streets. The animations on it look really nice as well. I've also gotten used to the rehashed animations, they're generic enough it doesn't really bother me.

Top hat seemed silly at first but I think I might actually prefer it to the hood now. It just fits to well: a black clad batman-esque rooftop jumping Victorian gangster with a top hat. Sounds odd when put that way but I love the look of it, would wear the hat all the time if I could.

The fighting animations are still a bit jenky but if the combat feels good enough I'll get over it. Still want to see some progression info but that might be better put under wraps until launch. I'm getting deja vu. I'm hopeful for another Black Flag happening.

Consus_E
06-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Was there police presence in the demo?

SixKeys
06-23-2015, 09:35 PM

Yes, police patrol the streets and drive prison carts. If you get into a clash with the other gangs in public (like driiving recklessly), the cops will come after you. I kept getting swarmed on all sides during a carriage chase.

Assassin_M
06-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Yep and to add to what sixkeys said, they wont attack you if you don't retaliate to other gang members' attacks.

Reading this made me much more positive about the game, thanks M.
You're most welcome

It's also nice to see that the game is already starting to improve in the graphics department. The new Bloody Nora demo they showed looks a bit better than the one they showed at the announcement. The Strain demo also really showed off that beautiful indoor lighting that was in Unity.
Global illumination is still there, I believe. It's why interiors still look good.

Yes

What about the snowy weather in the game ? :'( missed it ..
No snow, just rain.

Probably for PC. It'll look like that for consoles on release, if i'd make an educated guess.

Can you turn around while zip-lining? Can you stop and hang from the cable?
Yup and yup

Can you shoot while rope launching/ zip lining??
No, but you can assassinate like ACR

Great thread, _M. Lots of good information here. I'm way more excited now than I was before this E3.
You're welcome, remain cautiously optimistic.

Were you able to look at the map and see if collectibles and other unnecessary things like chests had been toned down? I'd have to say that's one of my least favorite parts of Unity, as I'm still playing it today to 100% it. Big grind in my opinion.
The map had nothing on it, which is normal since is a pre alpha demo. But it seems like they'll be coming back. The side content director told me that he's pushing for a more witcher like direction, regarding chests, collectibles..etc

This may be too vague of a question, but did you find the moment to moment gameplay improved? When I switched from Rogue to Unity, it was fresh and new, but sometimes I just lose interest. I feel like this can easily be improved with new tools like the rope launcher though, and the carriages should act like a counterpart to ships which I think made AC IV exciting. Without ships, Unity was stripped down and felt a little bare after I've put so many hours into it. Would you say the rope launcher and carriages (and trains I guess but I think you said those weren't in the demo) liven things up?
Not that vague at all, I know what you mean. Yes, I definitely think the rope launcher, carriages and trains will liven up the moment to moment experience. For example, you don't have to be in a mission to get into a chase with rival gang members. I found myself embroiled in a chase without even starting the mission. I stole a carriage first, strolled around, found rival gang members and got detected, they chased me and we started ramming each other and I got on the roof of my carriage and shot the driver, then the girl next to him took over so I jumped on her carriage and took her off of it and drove her carriage and that was that.

Like you, the thing I like most about AC is the historical open world. Paris was great and very detailed, does Syndicate improve on that? The things you already mentioned like new football animations and signs sound good, but I'm just wondering if there were any other improvements to this aspect.
Honestly, Ubisoft never ever disappoints with immersion in the open world. There were street musicians with violins (there'll be more instruments), a wide variety of colorful carriages and coaches, work areas that are closed roads with workers and sewage, kids playing games like tag and much more stuff. You'll not be disappointed.

Branching off from that, Unity's Paris was kind of building after building. Could you tell if the train stations, railways, wider streets with carriages, large rivers with boats, and what looks like nature parks (end of newest gameplay demo to the left and right of the train tracks) changed things up and made London seem more like a living, breathing world?
Honestly, the area I played in had only buildings. I believe carriages would kind of liven it up a bit, in terms of close to the street parkour but the rope launcher also helps with that.

EmptyCrustacean
06-23-2015, 10:13 PM
where's Six Keys thread? I can't find it.

I-Like-Pie45
06-23-2015, 10:17 PM
can you bait the cops into killing your enemies for you like in red dead redemption
does evie have hairy arms
is jacob a fan of italo disco

Assassin_M
06-23-2015, 10:46 PM
can you bait the cops into killing your enemies for you like in red dead redemption
If you don't attack them and the cops see them attacking you, the cops will attack them.

Here you go http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1175085-Syndicate-demo-First-impressions

SixKeys
06-23-2015, 11:02 PM

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1175085-Syndicate-demo-First-impressions

Edit: Looks like M was faster.

Assassin_M
06-23-2015, 11:05 PM
Edit: Looks like M was faster.
Hahaaaa, always. I'm like a ninja

ze_topazio
06-24-2015, 01:17 AM
Hahaaaa, always. I'm like a ninja

Feudal Japan confirmed.

Consus_E
06-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Praise be to the one called M!

Do smoke bombs return?

EmptyCrustacean
06-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Praise be to the one called M!

Do smoke bombs return?

Smoke bombs will never go away. Never.

The_Kiwi_
06-24-2015, 10:58 AM

Shay was smart enough to have a gas mask
Soon enough, everyone will

EmptyCrustacean
06-24-2015, 04:40 PM
Shay was smart enough to have a gas mask
Soon enough, everyone will

That's because he was a former Assassin that knew all their tricks so he was well prepared.

ze_topazio
06-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Gas mask protects you from gas and poison, doesn't give you thermal vision in the middle of a smoke cloud.

Consus_E
06-24-2015, 08:48 PM

Stop ruining my fantasy of an AC game without a win button!

The_Kiwi_
06-25-2015, 12:51 AM
Gas mask protects you from gas and poison, doesn't give you thermal vision in the middle of a smoke cloud.

Eagle Vision does

ze_topazio
06-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Common guards don't have eagle vision.

The_Kiwi_
06-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Common guards don't have eagle vision.

We don't play as common guards
I see what you're getting at, but as long as guards aren't coughing, I'm sure they'd be running after you still even if they can't see well
It's not like smoke bombs block their sight for ages, they'd be out of the cloud from just a few steps

SixKeys
06-25-2015, 10:26 AM
We don't play as common guards
I see what you're getting at, but as long as guards aren't coughing, I'm sure they'd be running after you still even if they can't see well
It's not like smoke bombs block their sight for ages, they'd be out of the cloud from just a few steps

The time smoke bombs take effect is definitely too long. Sometimes the guards are still coughing when the smoke has dissipated.

ze_topazio
06-25-2015, 10:32 AM
Inhaling smoke is serious business.

The_Kiwi_
06-25-2015, 11:03 AM
They have smoker's cough

BananaBlighter
06-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Can you fire the rope launcher mid air?

Megas_Doux
06-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Glad you are back!

Regarding what I“ve watched, well I don“t like it. The combat seems super cartoonish and the overall focus is just like taking everything away of what I liked about Unity.

Consus_E
06-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Can you "hip fire" with ranged weapons? Or do you have to aim?

rob.davies2014
06-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Was there any social stealth? I haven't seen any elements of it in the two demos. Which is worrying. There's been so little social stealth in the last few games and it was poorly implemented. I've always wanted them to focus on it but they just seem to have opted for standard stealth because it's easier.