PDA

View Full Version : PC Splitscreen/Controller Support and Cross-Platform Play

zhugedai
06-18-2015, 04:43 PM
During the E3 Masterclass stream for For Honor, split-screen multiplayer was briefly mentioned, and I was curious, is split-screen multiplayer limited to 2-player or does it support up to 4-player split-screen? Also, and more importantly to myself, many games that support split-screen on consoles drop that support for PC versions of the same game even though PCs contain the graphical processing power and tweaking options available to make split-screen work for anyone's configuration. Is split-screen also supported for the PC version? More and more people and companies are using PCs for TV/living room style gaming through controller support (Xbox 360/One, Nvidia Shield controllers, etc.) which lends itself to local split-screen multiplayer.

Also, games like Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn have proven cross-platform play as a viable option for increasing and unifying the player base as people from PS3 and PC play in the same game at the same time together. Some of my friends have a PS4, some have an Xbox One, and I have a PC, if we own the same game, shouldn't we be able to play together online? Cross-platform play between Xbox One, PS4, and PC may be difficult to setup (I'm guessing it is or more companies than Square Enix would add it to their games), but with the resources of a vast gaming company such as Ubisoft surely the benefits such as game lifespan, increased player base, and simply allowing people to play with their friends would make it worthwhile. I request cross-platform play between PC and consoles be added as a feature to For Honor.

mau5eum
06-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Also, games like Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn have proven cross-platform play as a viable option for increasing and unifying the player base as people from PS3 and PC play in the same game at the same time together. Some of my friends have a PS4, some have an Xbox One, and I have a PC, if we own the same game, shouldn't we be able to play together online? Cross-platform play between Xbox One, PS4, and PC may be difficult to setup (I'm guessing it is or more companies than Square Enix would add it to their games), but with the resources of a vast gaming company such as Ubisoft surely the benefits such as game lifespan, increased player base, and simply allowing people to play with their friends would make it worthwhile. I request cross-platform play between PC and consoles be added as a feature to For Honor.

Cross-platform can only work if everyone is on an even playing field, and the inherent advantage a keyboard and mouse has over a controller makes that impossible.

There is also the issue of game play balance.

I have no doubt that it would increase the player base, but I imagine we would have platform restricted games and that would make cross platform, for the most part, redundant.

zhugedai
06-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Cross-platform can only work if everyone is on an even playing field, and the inherent advantage a keyboard and mouse has over a controller makes that impossible.

The keyboard and mouse is not always advantageous, and although For Honor was described by the makers as a shooter with swords (which is one of the genres I'd say keyboard and mouse combinations have inherent advantages in), the game play/control scheme appears to suit controller use more readily than a keyboard and mouse although I'll admit I have not played the game.

I have no doubt that it would increase the player base, but I imagine we would have platform restricted games and that would make cross platform, for the most part, redundant.

I'm uncertain what you meant here. I took it as "platform restricted games...[rendering]...cross platform...[functionality]...redundant", which doesn't make sense.

mau5eum
06-18-2015, 07:26 PM
the game play/control scheme appears to suit controller use more readily than a keyboard and mouse

I'll admit that I initially thought the Art of Battle system would give a console player a slight advantage due to ease of transition, but all they have to do is make mouse movement control your stance once locked on.

I'm uncertain what you meant here. I took it as "platform restricted games...[rendering]...cross platform...[functionality]...redundant", which doesn't make sense.

They would have to give you the option of only playing against people on your platform, and I expect most people would choose to do that.

zhugedai
06-18-2015, 07:37 PM
I'll admit that I initially thought the Art of Battle system would give a console player a slight advantage due to ease of transition, but all they have to do is make mouse movement control your stance once locked on.

They would have to give you the option of only playing against people on your platform, and I expect most people would choose to do that.

It would probably be just as easy to play with either a controller or mouse and keyboard without being particularly advantageous towards either option. Having a option to limit which platform encountered players are using would then be detrimental. I don't think any cross-platform game should ever include an option to limit which platform encountered players are using, neither should players ever be informed which platform players are using. Only the developers, for monitoring and potential balancing purposes, would need to know.

mau5eum
06-18-2015, 07:49 PM
If PC players had an advantage console players would be subjected to an unbalanced game, and eventually the developers would have to segregate the platforms.

There is also the issue of content balance.

Making changes to a weapon for one platform could unbalance it for the other.

zhugedai
06-18-2015, 08:01 PM
If PC players had an advantage console players would be subjected to an unbalanced game, and eventually the developers would have to segregate the platforms.

But that's what I'm saying, PC gamers don't always have and wouldn't necessarily have an advantage in this game. It's not necessarily going to be advantageous to mouse and keyboard users. We will have to see. In the meantime, the more inclusion of players and platforms the better.

Sixty-nl
06-19-2015, 10:03 AM
its simple no matter if you use an controller or mouse, what you have used for so long will always be better for you. the only thing that would make the other side have an advantage is if 1 of the 2 as 30fps and the other 60fps. this whole keyboard and mouse has an advantage over controller is not even true. Also on ps4 you can plug in an keyboard and mouse and play allot of games with it.

mau5eum
06-19-2015, 06:30 PM
If you're comfortable with a controller that's fine, but a controller will never match the input capabilities and precision of a keyboard and mouse.