PDA

View Full Version : In hindsight: was 1:1 a misstake?

Sushiglutton
06-18-2015, 01:19 PM
One of Unity's most hyped features was the 1:1 scale of buildings. I thought it sounded cool and like it would add nice verticality. In hindsight it feels like a misstake though. Several problems follow from the 1:1 scale imo:

Technical challenge, probably a key reason for Unity's problems.
Huge areas which need to be filled with "content". And we all know how the Ubi factory fill huge areas.
One city only. I think OW games work better as buffets with a wide variety of flavours. City and countryside. Sea and land. Small village and larger city. You don't want just a large plate of pasta.
Parkour doesn't work as well. To solve this they have now invented a zip-line, but that kills the parkour. Makes much more sense to design the city with parkour in mind then the other way around.

Overall 1:1 seems to me like more of an engineer driven project, than game driven. Ubi thought it would be a cool thing to do, but didn't consider enough the gameplay implications.

Farlander1991
06-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Technical challenge, probably a key reason for Unity's problems.

Seamless interiors are technical challenge, 1:1 scale - not really, more of a design/art challenge. Technically there'd be no (huge) difference between a 1:3 city like New York and 1:1 city like Paris (and, let's not forget that the city of Paris is not 1:1, the buildings are, Paris is almost 1:1 in Isle de la Cite, and 1:2 and 1:3 in other areas). So 1:1 scale refers mostly to buildings.

One city only. I think OW games work better as buffets with a wide variety of flavours. City and countryside. Sea and land. Small village and larger city. You don't want just a large plate of pasta.

If running around Paris for about 100 hours has taught me something, is that I'm fine with one city only and that it can be varied enough :p

Parkour doesn't work as well. To solve this they have now invented a zip-line, but that kills the parkour. Makes much more sense to design the city with parkour in mind then the other way around.

Parkour works just fine with 1:1 scale buildings. The invention of the zip-line is due to wide roads for carriages that no scale would save from (well, with the exception of buildings being of the size of Assassin or smth like that :p )

Have you played Unity yet, btw? :p

EDIT: Basically, me reply is, no, 1:1 buildings is not a mistake, and is one of those things that I want the games to keep as the games with 1:1 buildings and not 1:1 buildings feel vastly different, and I prefer the 1:1 buildings.

ShadoeKat
06-18-2015, 02:20 PM
I think the scale is fine. It seems others things contributed to the problems unity had.

One city is fine and I agree, anything larger would have been overkill with a city as large as Paris.

And parkour is actually fine once you get use to the feel of it and how to move with the controls. I actually like it a lot compared to anything previously and feels like I'm actually jumping etc.I zoom across roof tops and streets rather smoothly. But may that is just the player and not the system.