PDA

View Full Version : A Fan's perspective on Myst IV: Revelation **Spoilers**

CAGrayWolf
05-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Sorry to you all for I had thought I had posted my review over here ... seems I am wrong. I wrote two stories ... one was of my trip and the people I met and the second is my review of Myst IV.

I hope that you enjoy what I wrote ... and keeping in mind that I'm not a writer but did my best to present to you all what I saw and how it affected me. I also posted in this forums because there are (or at least could be) what some would consider spoilers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My trip started out well ... I woke up easily enough despite the fact that I got very little sleep. I went to bed around 11pm but didn't really sleep ... just laid there in a semi comatose state. I leave home at the designated time and arrived at the train station with half an hour to spare. Train leaves on time and arrives at he LA Union Station 5 minutes early. Go out front to the designated meeting spot where Srikandi was to meet me. OK and hour has passed and no Srikandi and I don't have a cel phone. No problem. I walk back inside and ask the man at the information booth if there is a bus that goes to the Convention Center. He tells me there is and the stop is across the street and only costs a quarter to ride. Cool! I catch the bus and make one transfer and arrive at the Convention Center within half an hour.

The people ... so many people. I walk up to the entrance and go through registration check point one ... then over to registration check point two ... and then the the final registration check point and finally get my ID badge. They are very serious about security here. I then proceeded up the stairs to the main entrance to where all the game companies are in the South Hall and then shoot straight to the back where the Ubisoft booth was located.

I then walk through the booth toward the back to where the Revelation booth is and the first person I see is Pascal and then Mary. As I'm talking with Mary the crazed woman almost attacks me from my left side ... it's Kha'tie and she is all in tears ... we finally get to meet. Ron walks up and although far more subdued than Kha'tie ... we are equally glad to finally be meeting in person. Then the introductions start and I meet Genevieve and Patrick.

During this time I'm given my first of several demos of Revelation. Then Kha'tie and I go out behind the Ubisoft booth to sit and relax and talk. This is where they had many tables set up mainly for eating. During this time Ron, Genevieve and Mary join us. Oh hey ... my long lost partner in crime (the one who was supposed to pick my up at the train station http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) shows up. Kha'tie did tell me earlier that Srikandi had called Ron and that she had over slept. Kha'tie also told that that Rand Miller would hopefully be around and that he was there yesterday.

Well shortly after her telling me this up walks Rand with Tony Fryman. Trying very hard not to act like the obsessed fan I was till in total awe of finally meeting Rand in person. Rand then introduced Sri and I to Tony and I said "Tony Fryman of Fryman Tanks, what a pleasure." Tony seemed amazed that I new this and pleased at the same time. Sri and I talked with Rand and Tony for about 20 minutes and was told some encouraging things about Uru. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say here so will save that part till later. I must say that Rand is so genuine and is very much dedicated to the fans. I was also amazed that he knew all about me and was equally pleased to meet me. This was a very special moment for me. Rand and Tony needed to leave at this point and we said our goodbyes and they said they would try to get back to see us once more before they really had to leave.

About 15 minutes after I met Rand and Tony ... Jack Wall walks up and Sri and I were able to talk with him for about 15 minutes and get pictures as well. He is excited about composing the music for Rev and told us that he thinks we will love the music ... especially if we loved the Exile soundtrack. He is still composing so we haven't heard anything yet mainly only a few samples.

A little while later Kha'tie gave me a very special gift ... something that I had been wanting for quite some time ... a Channelwood poster. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif I started crying at this point. She also told me she had another surprise for us. They were handing out a Myst Timeline printed on 8.5 x 11 paper that briefly explains each game in the series including URU. What was so special about the one Kha'tie gave me was that it had been signed by the entire Myst IV Dev Team and by Rand as well. Totally a special moment. Soon after this ... while intermittently playing Myst IV ... Rand and Tony come back to the Rev booth ... at this point Rand autographed my Channelwood poster for me.

From this point Sri and I went looking at all the other games that were on display. There are some really cool games coming out as some really bad looking games ... but then I guess I'm biased in that area ... and spoiled. There was so much to see though and I'm amazed we saw all that we did. This gave Sri and I a good chance to really talk as well and get to know each other better. Sri is so fantastic as well. We decided it was time to head back to the Rev booth and check in with Ron and Kha'tie. Well when we got back to the South Hall they had already closed and my bag with my clothes was still in there. The security guard was nice to walk me back to the booth and all that was there was a note on the floor saying "CA B R Back" but I had no idea when this was left. So back down stairs and went and called Kha'tie. She was already back at the hotel and so we drove over there cause Kha'tie, Ron, Mary and Genevieve wanted to have dinner with us. She let me know that Ron had my bag with him.

We get to the hotel and ... plans change again. They all have to attend an Ubisoft dinner party that night ... for Ubisoft employees only. Sri and I with the help of Kha'tie tried to get in but no go. So Sri and I decide it's time to go to the hotel and check in ourselves. We wound up having to stay 21 miles away cause every single hotel in the area was booked solid. Well, a couple did have one or two rooms available ... at $500 a night and up. Way out on my meager budget.

That was pretty much it for day one. When we left we all decided to meet at Denny's for breakfast at 8am the following morning. We all met had a quick breakfast and was off to the convention again. Not all that much happened this day. Spent most of it looking at other games and testing e few that attracted my eye. As the end drew near we said out goodbyes ... then took Kha'tie back to her hotel and then Sri drove me to the train station. Then we said our goodbyes and she went home and I went to catch my train.

Anyway ... this was the events of my little trip ... very long and very exhausting ... but well worth it. I had a great time and am so totally honored and grateful to have met not only the Myst IV Dev Team, but also Rand and Tony as well as some of the Exile Team. A very amazing day for a Myst fan. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> From the moment I walked up to the Myst IV booth I was already overwhelmed. I have already written about by overall adventures just getting to E3 and now to be seeing Myst IV on the screen was total awe for me.

Kha'tie gave me the first of several demos and I know my mouth hit the floor. The graphics are stunningly beautiful and the detail so rich I even had a hard time believing this was not 3D. They were so crisp, clean and as Kha'tie moved the cursor the screen easily followed. The attention to detail is equally amazing. I especially loved the realism of when I looked at a specific place the surrounding areas would blur representing the depth of the graphics ... just like looking at something in real life. Then move the cursor to another area and focus again on that object and the same thing would happen. I have never seen this in a game before. Amazing!

I was also amazed at how "alive" everything is. The clouds move as there is a slight breeze in the air. Even the trees and bushes would move in the breeze. There were insects flying about and lights would flicker as you move about and your perception changed ... totally realistic. So much so that I could feel the breeze and the movement. Even the steam is continually rising off the lake.

As you venture around you come to and enter into Atrus and Catherine's bedroom. To see the the painting close up I was even more in awe. Then to see the fireplace and learn its secret (well partially) and seeing what happens but not the full scope of what is happening. I find the amulet of Yeesha's and I'm seeing a memory through someone else's eyes ... though I'm not totally sure who's memory it is ... assuming Yeesha's. Kha'tie let me play with the fireplace puzzle for a bit but I was so overwhelmed that I had no clue what to do and I hadn't read anything yet. I mean how can I solve a puzzle without reading a journal or some other clue to guide me along. Not to mention that fact that I had people standing behind me watching me.

Then finding access to the books and so wanting to see where the other one went ... but alas I was not allowed to go there. Not even sure why I wanted to go to Sirrus' Prison Age first. Perhaps it was because I related to him more. So I link into Haven ... Achenar's Prison Age. Most of you have seen the screen shots from this Age and have a good idea what it is all about visually. What was amazing was how even more alive this Age is and it's huge. The trees move and sway with the wind. The animals roaming about. The one creature with the colorful head (not sure of it's name yet) that we see is quite inquisitive yet shy. He likes to follow you around but will run when you approach him.

Then stooping down and touching the water with my finger and having it radiate out in pools. I would then swirl my finger about in the water and it would swirl and eddy with my every move ... just as water should ... this is so real. As I continue to walk around and pass through a narrow passage the wind picks up and is quite strong through here blowing the dust around. You see the dust flowing around you and I instinctual closed my eyes to block that dust (and then quickly reopened them).

What few puzzles I saw looked so well intertwined that they seemed perfectly natural to me and to the surroundings with perfect blend. I honestly felt I was playing with items that I would come across naturally in a strange Age. They did not feel out of place at all.

The cursor I found was not intrusive and was like using my own hand. I could point my finger and click and that is where I would go. I could manipulate items by grabbing them. I could touch items by tapping on them and would hear the respective sound. I could turn the pages of the journals as I would turn a page in a book in real life. Even the concern of the look of the hand that I had initially did not bother me at all during game play ... again seeming and feeling very natural.

Even though I may be biased in my opinions of Myst this game is so totally amazing and it is very obvious that the developers listened to all the concerns of the fans of the previous games and incorporated all this into Myst IV. I honestly feel that you all will be as astounded and amazed as I am ... and I can't wait for the release.

http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/html/emoticons/clapping.gif BRAVO! To the Myst IV Dev Team and to Ubisoft! http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/html/emoticons/worship.gif and a special thank you to Ron and Kha'tie for allowing me to be a part of this and to finally get to meet you two in person. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps the ending has not yet been written!

http://www.dnijazzclub.com/mwsc/bnr006.gif (http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=008888682028&category=PC)

[This message was edited by CAGrayWolf on Thu May 20 2004 at 04:43 PM.]

CAGrayWolf
05-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Sorry to you all for I had thought I had posted my review over here ... seems I am wrong. I wrote two stories ... one was of my trip and the people I met and the second is my review of Myst IV.

I hope that you enjoy what I wrote ... and keeping in mind that I'm not a writer but did my best to present to you all what I saw and how it affected me. I also posted in this forums because there are (or at least could be) what some would consider spoilers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My trip started out well ... I woke up easily enough despite the fact that I got very little sleep. I went to bed around 11pm but didn't really sleep ... just laid there in a semi comatose state. I leave home at the designated time and arrived at the train station with half an hour to spare. Train leaves on time and arrives at he LA Union Station 5 minutes early. Go out front to the designated meeting spot where Srikandi was to meet me. OK and hour has passed and no Srikandi and I don't have a cel phone. No problem. I walk back inside and ask the man at the information booth if there is a bus that goes to the Convention Center. He tells me there is and the stop is across the street and only costs a quarter to ride. Cool! I catch the bus and make one transfer and arrive at the Convention Center within half an hour.

The people ... so many people. I walk up to the entrance and go through registration check point one ... then over to registration check point two ... and then the the final registration check point and finally get my ID badge. They are very serious about security here. I then proceeded up the stairs to the main entrance to where all the game companies are in the South Hall and then shoot straight to the back where the Ubisoft booth was located.

I then walk through the booth toward the back to where the Revelation booth is and the first person I see is Pascal and then Mary. As I'm talking with Mary the crazed woman almost attacks me from my left side ... it's Kha'tie and she is all in tears ... we finally get to meet. Ron walks up and although far more subdued than Kha'tie ... we are equally glad to finally be meeting in person. Then the introductions start and I meet Genevieve and Patrick.

During this time I'm given my first of several demos of Revelation. Then Kha'tie and I go out behind the Ubisoft booth to sit and relax and talk. This is where they had many tables set up mainly for eating. During this time Ron, Genevieve and Mary join us. Oh hey ... my long lost partner in crime (the one who was supposed to pick my up at the train station http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) shows up. Kha'tie did tell me earlier that Srikandi had called Ron and that she had over slept. Kha'tie also told that that Rand Miller would hopefully be around and that he was there yesterday.

Well shortly after her telling me this up walks Rand with Tony Fryman. Trying very hard not to act like the obsessed fan I was till in total awe of finally meeting Rand in person. Rand then introduced Sri and I to Tony and I said "Tony Fryman of Fryman Tanks, what a pleasure." Tony seemed amazed that I new this and pleased at the same time. Sri and I talked with Rand and Tony for about 20 minutes and was told some encouraging things about Uru. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say here so will save that part till later. I must say that Rand is so genuine and is very much dedicated to the fans. I was also amazed that he knew all about me and was equally pleased to meet me. This was a very special moment for me. Rand and Tony needed to leave at this point and we said our goodbyes and they said they would try to get back to see us once more before they really had to leave.

About 15 minutes after I met Rand and Tony ... Jack Wall walks up and Sri and I were able to talk with him for about 15 minutes and get pictures as well. He is excited about composing the music for Rev and told us that he thinks we will love the music ... especially if we loved the Exile soundtrack. He is still composing so we haven't heard anything yet mainly only a few samples.

A little while later Kha'tie gave me a very special gift ... something that I had been wanting for quite some time ... a Channelwood poster. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif I started crying at this point. She also told me she had another surprise for us. They were handing out a Myst Timeline printed on 8.5 x 11 paper that briefly explains each game in the series including URU. What was so special about the one Kha'tie gave me was that it had been signed by the entire Myst IV Dev Team and by Rand as well. Totally a special moment. Soon after this ... while intermittently playing Myst IV ... Rand and Tony come back to the Rev booth ... at this point Rand autographed my Channelwood poster for me.

From this point Sri and I went looking at all the other games that were on display. There are some really cool games coming out as some really bad looking games ... but then I guess I'm biased in that area ... and spoiled. There was so much to see though and I'm amazed we saw all that we did. This gave Sri and I a good chance to really talk as well and get to know each other better. Sri is so fantastic as well. We decided it was time to head back to the Rev booth and check in with Ron and Kha'tie. Well when we got back to the South Hall they had already closed and my bag with my clothes was still in there. The security guard was nice to walk me back to the booth and all that was there was a note on the floor saying "CA B R Back" but I had no idea when this was left. So back down stairs and went and called Kha'tie. She was already back at the hotel and so we drove over there cause Kha'tie, Ron, Mary and Genevieve wanted to have dinner with us. She let me know that Ron had my bag with him.

We get to the hotel and ... plans change again. They all have to attend an Ubisoft dinner party that night ... for Ubisoft employees only. Sri and I with the help of Kha'tie tried to get in but no go. So Sri and I decide it's time to go to the hotel and check in ourselves. We wound up having to stay 21 miles away cause every single hotel in the area was booked solid. Well, a couple did have one or two rooms available ... at $500 a night and up. Way out on my meager budget.

That was pretty much it for day one. When we left we all decided to meet at Denny's for breakfast at 8am the following morning. We all met had a quick breakfast and was off to the convention again. Not all that much happened this day. Spent most of it looking at other games and testing e few that attracted my eye. As the end drew near we said out goodbyes ... then took Kha'tie back to her hotel and then Sri drove me to the train station. Then we said our goodbyes and she went home and I went to catch my train.

Anyway ... this was the events of my little trip ... very long and very exhausting ... but well worth it. I had a great time and am so totally honored and grateful to have met not only the Myst IV Dev Team, but also Rand and Tony as well as some of the Exile Team. A very amazing day for a Myst fan. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> From the moment I walked up to the Myst IV booth I was already overwhelmed. I have already written about by overall adventures just getting to E3 and now to be seeing Myst IV on the screen was total awe for me.

Kha'tie gave me the first of several demos and I know my mouth hit the floor. The graphics are stunningly beautiful and the detail so rich I even had a hard time believing this was not 3D. They were so crisp, clean and as Kha'tie moved the cursor the screen easily followed. The attention to detail is equally amazing. I especially loved the realism of when I looked at a specific place the surrounding areas would blur representing the depth of the graphics ... just like looking at something in real life. Then move the cursor to another area and focus again on that object and the same thing would happen. I have never seen this in a game before. Amazing!

I was also amazed at how "alive" everything is. The clouds move as there is a slight breeze in the air. Even the trees and bushes would move in the breeze. There were insects flying about and lights would flicker as you move about and your perception changed ... totally realistic. So much so that I could feel the breeze and the movement. Even the steam is continually rising off the lake.

As you venture around you come to and enter into Atrus and Catherine's bedroom. To see the the painting close up I was even more in awe. Then to see the fireplace and learn its secret (well partially) and seeing what happens but not the full scope of what is happening. I find the amulet of Yeesha's and I'm seeing a memory through someone else's eyes ... though I'm not totally sure who's memory it is ... assuming Yeesha's. Kha'tie let me play with the fireplace puzzle for a bit but I was so overwhelmed that I had no clue what to do and I hadn't read anything yet. I mean how can I solve a puzzle without reading a journal or some other clue to guide me along. Not to mention that fact that I had people standing behind me watching me.

Then finding access to the books and so wanting to see where the other one went ... but alas I was not allowed to go there. Not even sure why I wanted to go to Sirrus' Prison Age first. Perhaps it was because I related to him more. So I link into Haven ... Achenar's Prison Age. Most of you have seen the screen shots from this Age and have a good idea what it is all about visually. What was amazing was how even more alive this Age is and it's huge. The trees move and sway with the wind. The animals roaming about. The one creature with the colorful head (not sure of it's name yet) that we see is quite inquisitive yet shy. He likes to follow you around but will run when you approach him.

Then stooping down and touching the water with my finger and having it radiate out in pools. I would then swirl my finger about in the water and it would swirl and eddy with my every move ... just as water should ... this is so real. As I continue to walk around and pass through a narrow passage the wind picks up and is quite strong through here blowing the dust around. You see the dust flowing around you and I instinctual closed my eyes to block that dust (and then quickly reopened them).

What few puzzles I saw looked so well intertwined that they seemed perfectly natural to me and to the surroundings with perfect blend. I honestly felt I was playing with items that I would come across naturally in a strange Age. They did not feel out of place at all.

The cursor I found was not intrusive and was like using my own hand. I could point my finger and click and that is where I would go. I could manipulate items by grabbing them. I could touch items by tapping on them and would hear the respective sound. I could turn the pages of the journals as I would turn a page in a book in real life. Even the concern of the look of the hand that I had initially did not bother me at all during game play ... again seeming and feeling very natural.

Even though I may be biased in my opinions of Myst this game is so totally amazing and it is very obvious that the developers listened to all the concerns of the fans of the previous games and incorporated all this into Myst IV. I honestly feel that you all will be as astounded and amazed as I am ... and I can't wait for the release.

http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/html/emoticons/clapping.gif BRAVO! To the Myst IV Dev Team and to Ubisoft! http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/html/emoticons/worship.gif and a special thank you to Ron and Kha'tie for allowing me to be a part of this and to finally get to meet you two in person. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.dnijazzclub.com/mwsc/bnr006.gif (http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=008888682028&category=PC)

[This message was edited by CAGrayWolf on Thu May 20 2004 at 04:43 PM.]

Boshettee
06-13-2004, 07:31 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/10.gif I have heard in Revelation you can interact with various NPCs in the game world, and players can actually change the outcome of the story with their decisions. Also, Revelation has multiple endings. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Is this true?

If this is true then I should be able to play the game over and over and over with various endings. Yipee!!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/53.gif

Arnium
06-13-2004, 08:27 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/351.gif (They really need to get an "I'm with" smiley sans the "stupid")

Multiple favorable outcomes (as well as unfavorable) would be interesting.

CAGrayWolf
06-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Not sure about interacting with NPC's for we weren't shown anything like that ... but I can guarantee you all that I have it on good authority there is at least four(4) alternate endings. Now considering that Exile had eight alternate ending and M4 is written by the same person (/wave to Mary) I think it is safe to assume we may see as many.

Eat_My_Shortz
07-17-2004, 09:40 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/cry.gif &lt;sniffle&gt;
What an amazing review. What an amazing game.
How cool would it be to meet Rand Miller!?

I love this bit:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Rand then introduced Sri and I to Tony and I said "Tony Fryman of Fryman Tanks, what a pleasure." Tony seemed amazed that I new this and pleased at the same time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>