PDA

View Full Version : We are the Chosen for a reason!

Kenji_Hattori
06-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Righteousness
Courage
Benevolence
Respect
Sincerity
Honor
Loyalty
Self-Control
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/KenjiHattori/11403393_479350438891288_8459722824877784659_n_zps 0yseoyuu.jpg
Welcome to the unofficial thread for The Chosen!

I would like to start forming friends, and having great discussions about what we have seen and what we hope to see for our favorite faction, The Chosen. Personally i have been waiting for a game like this since before PS3. I am more hyped for this game and already more apart of the community than i am in any other game. I would like to make friends and talk about what is going to happen with this game.

As a conversation starter what weapons would you like to see? My personal favorite is the Nodachi/Odachi. I hope that is in as well as just a katana, duel wilding Katana's, a Katana Wakizashi, and Naginata. Based on the video's i do believe that the Naginata, and Katana are for sure in there. Also as we saw in a video, they have a skill where you call a rain of arrows down in a certain area. Anything like that you would enjoy seeing?

Customization is another topic i would like to talk about. I hope they allow you to have different armor, colors, helmets, and maybe allow emblems. Like if someone made a clan or guild, they could make an Emblem that anyone who joined would have access to and allow you to wear and put on your Character. That would be cool. Also maybe something like a pennant, the flag you put on your back. That would be cool to see as well. What do you all think?

Oakmantle
06-18-2015, 02:18 AM
Hey there, and yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

I think we'll likely be seeing Tanto and Wakizashi make appearances as secondary melee weapons or perhaps as primary weapons for certain classes. Though I'm a bit unsure about that latter one since the "samurai assassin" was showcased wielding a katana and throwing knives. Outside of the main big ones such as Katana, Naginata, Nodachi, etc, I'd be interested in seeing the common spear also for The Chosen, as it was used a lot by ashigaru back in the times of Feudal Japan. Also, one of the more iconic japanese weapons is the kanabo, which is the studded wooden mace wielded by oni. I think that would be a good addition!

As for customization, I am perhaps most excited about the masks attached to the kabutos(helmets). It basically serves as your warrior's face when in battle, so being able to customize is something I'd pin as relatively important! Also I would like the ability to customize it independently of the actual helmet, and also the decoration on top of the helmet is something I would like to play around with. There are many notable figures that are easily destinguished by the decoration of their helmets, such as Honda Tadakatsu with his deer antlers, Ii Naomasa with his golden horns, and Date Masamune with his crescent-shaped decoration.

Kenji_Hattori
06-18-2015, 02:50 AM
Hey there, and yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

I think we'll likely be seeing Tanto and Wakizashi make appearances as secondary melee weapons or perhaps as primary weapons for certain classes. Though I'm a bit unsure about that latter one since the "samurai assassin" was showcased wielding a katana and throwing knives. Outside of the main big ones such as Katana, Naginata, Nodachi, etc, I'd be interested in seeing the common spear also for The Chosen, as it was used a lot by ashigaru back in the times of Feudal Japan. Also, one of the more iconic japanese weapons is the kanabo, which is the studded wooden mace wielded by oni. I think that would be a good addition!

As for customization, I am perhaps most excited about the masks attached to the kabutos(helmets). It basically serves as your warrior's face when in battle, so being able to customize is something I'd pin as relatively important! Also I would like the ability to customize it independently of the actual helmet, and also the decoration on top of the helmet is something I would like to play around with. There are many notable figures that are easily destinguished by the decoration of their helmets, such as Honda Tadakatsu with his deer antlers, Ii Naomasa with his golden horns, and Date Masamune with his crescent-shaped decoration.

Yes i agree, they will more than likely not have a Nodachi, but i would love to see one. A spear would be awesome to see, i would enjoy seeing how they integrate that into the Art of War battle system they have. I do hope we dont just see everyone wielding a Katana, but i think if they did use a Kanabo i might end up using that as well lol.

If you could customize the helmet i would probably go for a similar look to Shingen Takeda. His was one of my favorite ones. Either him or, as you said, Tadakatsu Honda, his was always cool looking. But it would also be awesome if they came up with some original decorations and you could combine some.

Sixty-nl
06-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Depends on the weapons they have available, so for now i am patiently going to wait before making such an import decision.

Yugureki
06-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Welcome my Samurai Brethren! I would like to start forming friends, and having great discussions about what we have seen and what we hope to see for our favorite faction, The Chosen. Personally i have been waiting for a game like this since before PS3. I am more hyped for this game and already more apart of the community than i am in any other game. I would like to make friends and talk about what is going to happen with this game.

As a conversation starter what weapons would you like to see? My personal favorite is the Nodachi/Odachi. I hope that is in as well as just a katana, duel wilding Katana's, a Katana Wakizashi, and Naginata. Based on the video's i do believe that the Naginata, and Katana are for sure in there. Also as we saw in a video, they have a skill where you call a rain of arrows down in a certain area. Anything like that you would enjoy seeing?

Customization is another topic i would like to talk about. I hope they allow you to have different armor, colors, helmets, and maybe allow emblems. Like if someone made a clan or guild, they could make an Emblem that anyone who joined would have access to and allow you to wear and put on your Character. That would be cool. Also maybe something like a pennant, the flag you put on your back. That would be cool to see as well. What do you all think?

I doubt duel wielding Katanas greatly, and you're right about the Katana and Naginata being in game so far the Katana we saw could actually be a Okatana but I can't really tell..
Also Nodachi master race :P
They also confirmed that we'd be able to customize our visual look so i'm hoping that will turn out well with the Samurai.

Weapons i'd like to see for the Chosen:
Chigiriki
Ono
Nodachi
Kanabo
Kusari-fundo
Yari
Nagamaki
To name a few.

I'm also kinda hoping we get to see Kusari armor ingame and not just Tatami.

Oakmantle
06-18-2015, 03:06 PM
I noticed how the samurai in the gameplay footage had several kanji placed about on his armour. I would hope to see those be a big part of armour customization, and possibly removing them in places in favour of Clan/Team icons!

Yugureki
06-18-2015, 06:33 PM
I noticed how the samurai in the gameplay footage had several kanji placed about on his armour. I would hope to see those be a big part of armour customization, and possibly removing them in places in favour of Clan/Team icons!

http://i.imgur.com/0q4Bc30.png
http://i.imgur.com/4Q72oKG.png

Based on the knights i'd assume that emblem placement is a thing, but no idea if we'll be able to upload emblems or icons ect.
I'd like to throw out that Warframe has a Emblem Approval System where you submit a emblem and wait for it's approval to be used in game for a clan - guild - team ect. so something like that could be implement but who knows it just might be more simple as giving us a bunch of cubes.

I also saw a Samurai with "ka" in on his tatami or so I thought at first but realized it was "chikara" which is a kanji for power. I hadn't paid much attention but if I see anymore on the Samurai or if you show me a picture I can let you know what it says to the best extend of my knowledge.

Oakmantle
06-18-2015, 06:41 PM
I know a few kanji myself, about 250 or so, though I may have forgotten some. The two kanji on the samurai in the gameplay footage's back read "Kokoro" which means "Heart", and "Samurai", which means... yeah xD But using specific kanji as a form of expressionism is common, so I would really like to be able to customize that. I'd suggest that they add an in-game library with translations for relevant kanji for those that don't know any themselves, and for us that only know a few. They could probably do something similar with symbols for the Legion and animal symbolism for the Warborn. I just think that would be an awesome way to personalize your characters ^^

(Edit: The kanji I said read "Heart" is a bit obscured, it's possible I'm just being liberal in filling in the blanks x3)

Yugureki
06-18-2015, 07:29 PM
I know a few kanji myself, about 250 or so, though I may have forgotten some. The two kanji on the samurai in the gameplay footage's back read "Kokoro" which means "Heart", and "Samurai", which means... yeah xD But using specific kanji as a form of expressionism is common, so I would really like to be able to customize that. I'd suggest that they add an in-game library with translations for relevant kanji for those that don't know any themselves, and for us that only know a few. They could probably do something similar with symbols for the Legion and animal symbolism for the Warborn. I just think that would be an awesome way to personalize your characters ^^

(Edit: The kanji I said read "Heart" is a bit obscured, it's possible I'm just being liberal in filling in the blanks x3)

I seen the kanji for Samurai a lot but can't find heart at all. In the videos a shoulder pads says Journey and the Samurai Assassin has covert or at least that's what I think, the pad blocks it to the point where I have to guess a little bit of it which is hard.

Oakmantle
06-18-2015, 07:33 PM
I seen the kanji for Samurai a lot but can't find heart at all. In the videos a shoulder pads says Journey and the Samurai Assassin has covert or at least that's what I think, the pad blocks it to the point where I have to guess a little bit of it which is hard.

Yes, I was refering to the one written on his back just by his shoulderblades. I can see it now though; it's a kanji I can't really read, helped nothing by being obscured by the bindings that keep the armour together. But I can see that it's not Kokoro at least >.<

Kenji_Hattori
06-18-2015, 09:10 PM
I doubt duel wielding Katanas greatly, and you're right about the Katana and Naginata being in game so far the Katana we saw could actually be a Okatana but I can't really tell..
They also confirmed that we'd be able to customize our visual look so i'm hoping that will turn out well with the Samurai.

Chigiriki
Ono
Nodachi
Kanabo
Kusari-fundo
Yari
Nagamaki
To name a few.

Yeah duel wielding katanas are rare. Those weapons were moving kinda fast to see what they were, but i just hope were not stuck with mostly Katana users with a naginata user in there.

Kenji_Hattori
06-18-2015, 09:12 PM

Yes, if i recall in the takl yesterday the lady said she customized all the characters playing at E3, so it might actually be that she made them all look how they do.

Oakmantle
06-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Yeah duel wielding katanas are rare. Those weapons were moving kinda fast to see what they were, but i just hope were not stuck with mostly Katana users with a naginata user in there.

Historically speaking, the people that dual-wielded in feudal Japan more often than not used a smaller blade in their off-hand, as two standard katanas I believe were considered too heavy and unwieldly. I am uncertain whether the off-hand blade was a wakizashi or a kodachi however, though I would lean on kodachi as a guess. In that case, it may be implemented.

Kenji_Hattori
06-18-2015, 09:22 PM
Historically speaking, the people that dual-wielded in feudal Japan more often than not used a smaller blade in their off-hand, as two standard katanas I believe were considered too heavy and unwieldly. I am uncertain whether the off-hand blade was a wakizashi or a kodachi however, though I would lean on kodachi as a guess. In that case, it may be implemented.

I actually meant that Duel wilding is rare in games when it comes to Samurai. And you are right, Katanas would be a bit unwieldy. I know when i was learning i used a Wakizashi. I tried using 2 Katana's and it was a bit hard. Im fairly certaint hey would not have 2 Katana's lol.

Oakmantle
06-18-2015, 09:28 PM
I actually meant that Duel wilding is rare in games when it comes to Samurai. And you are right, Katanas would be a bit unwieldy. I know when i was learning i used a Wakizashi. I tried using 2 Katana's and it was a bit hard. Im fairly certaint hey would not have 2 Katana's lol.

Oh, I've not had any problem with lack of dual katanas. Maybe because I don't specifically go for it, and that I spent most of my gaming hours in Dark Souls or the likes where weapons are pretty free-form for both hands x) The look-factor is certainly there though, for double katanas. Though I'm generally one to prefer a single medium-sized blade that can be wielded in both hands and in a single hand depending on the situation. One of many reasons why katana is the weapon I handle the best ^^

mau5eum
06-18-2015, 09:31 PM
The only thing you're chosen for is death.

#IamViking

dany3811
06-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Considering that the Chosen are most likely going to be the sole faction to NOT have a shield class I can easily see them having the shield replaced with a sword. A duel wielding samurai is already in one of the official images (graphic art of course). I serve Odin myself but im just sayin :)

If your wondering where that Duel wielding samurai is....look to your left :) surprise!

Oakmantle
06-18-2015, 10:00 PM
The only thing you're chosen for is death.

#IamViking

Before you rush to challenge my blade, I must assure you... 'tis far sharper than your hashtag ;>

mau5eum
06-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Before you rush to challenge my blade, I must assure you... 'tis far sharper than your hashtag ;>

My uncle took a hashtag to the knee, he hasn't been the same since.

Oakmantle
06-18-2015, 10:22 PM
My uncle took a hashtag to the knee, he hasn't been the same since.

I'm really sorry to hear that.

Kenji_Hattori
06-19-2015, 02:00 AM
Considering that the Chosen are most likely going to be the sole faction to NOT have a shield class I can easily see them having the shield replaced with a sword. A duel wielding samurai is already in one of the official images (graphic art of course). I serve Odin myself but im just sayin :)

If your wondering where that Duel wielding samurai is....look to your left :) surprise!

Are you talking about this image?
http://images.technewstoday.com.s3.amazonaws.com/tnt/ubisoft-e3-2015-knight-viking-or-a-samurai-defend-your-honor.jpg

dany3811
06-19-2015, 03:23 AM
Are you talking about this image?
http://images.technewstoday.com.s3.amazonaws.com/tnt/ubisoft-e3-2015-knight-viking-or-a-samurai-defend-your-honor.jpg

No sir. Its the one literally to your left. Between the knights and vikings. Of you look close you can see their are figures in the picture for each faction, one of which is a samurai duel wielding.

CarbonBox
06-19-2015, 04:33 AM
hajime mashi te kenji san..i hope someday we can go into the battlefield as the CHOSEN brethren
im already hyped with what i saw in the demo.
im not sure about if we would see dual wielding with normal katana as you can see in the gameplay they are going towards a bit of a realistic combat that shows how heavy a katana can be.
maybe they can have a option where you can dual wield but with lighter shorter katana/weapons. so you sacrifice range and defence of a longer heavy weapon for the speed of 2 lighter weapons

Kenji_Hattori
06-19-2015, 05:11 AM
No sir. Its the one literally to your left. Between the knights and vikings. Of you look close you can see their are figures in the picture for each faction, one of which is a samurai duel wielding.

OMG i DID NOT notice there were people in those pictures XD I thought they were just the heads getting crushed lol. But thank you that makes me feel better about what i want from this game lol.

Kenji_Hattori
06-19-2015, 05:16 AM
hajime mashi te kenji san..i hope someday we can go into the battlefield as the CHOSEN brethren
im already hyped with what i saw in the demo.
im not sure about if we would see dual wielding with normal katana as you can see in the gameplay they are going towards a bit of a realistic combat that shows how heavy a katana can be.
maybe they can have a option where you can dual wield but with lighter shorter katana/weapons. so you sacrifice range and defence of a longer heavy weapon for the speed of 2 lighter weapons

It is nice to meet you and i also hope we can fight together!
I do believe that if they do impliment Duel wielding then they will use a Wakizashi, or possibly a Kodachi. And i would love to use that and it would just make my life! lol, I hope more that they get a Nodachi in there. That would be cool. I also cannot wait to see if they have other side arms like the Shuriken they used in the first demo. It was so cool when he threw that i was just like "Wait did he just?!?!" And it was so cool, i wanna use Caltrops, Smoke bombs, and maybe a bow with only like 6 or so arrows, so people dont over use the Bow as long range.

CarbonBox
06-19-2015, 05:36 AM
yea the first time i saw that it was awesome but a little weird at the same time cuz shuriken or kunai are ninja's tools not samurai

but the throwing action actually made me think i want to see an execution where the character throws his sword straight into the chest of the other character and then punches or kicks it to push it in deeper then forcefully takes it out and with it blood rushes out FSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH ........BLOOD FOUNTAINALATY

Sixty-nl
06-19-2015, 09:42 AM
I think they focus more on the gameplay then the gore, for gore go play Mortal Kombat X. But then again they haven't said anything about that yet.

Kenji_Hattori
06-19-2015, 02:26 PM
yea the first time i saw that it was awesome but a little weird at the same time cuz shuriken or kunai are ninja's tools not samurai

but the throwing action actually made me think i want to see an execution where the character throws his sword straight into the chest of the other character and then punches or kicks it to push it in deeper then forcefully takes it out and with it blood rushes out FSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH ........BLOOD FOUNTAINALATY

Yeah, he did say he was a Samurai assassin though, so might have been okay. And i would love that as well. Maybe not so much blood because a realy person would not fountain that much lol.

JernGamer
06-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Chosen one banzai!!

Doctrinaire
06-19-2015, 03:05 PM
Chosen one banzai!!
is that you, Buckaroo? :p

Yugureki
06-19-2015, 09:09 PM

I never mentioned Niten Ichi-ryu which is a two-sword kenjutsu made by Miyamoto Musashi which if you're playing for the Samurai side i'm pretty sure you know of this name. But it was a Wakizashi.

maybe a bow with only like 6 or so arrows, so people dont over use the Bow as long range.

The "Oni" or "Samurai Assassin" used a ability called Arrow Storm in the Gameplay demo.

Kenji_Hattori
06-19-2015, 10:18 PM
I never mentioned Niten Ichi-ryu which is a two-sword kenjutsu made by Miyamoto Musashi which if you're playing for the Samurai side i'm pretty sure you know of this name. But it was a Wakizashi.

The "Oni" or "Samurai Assassin" used a ability called Arrow Storm in the Gameplay demo.

Yeah, that was cool, and i cant wait to use that. I was thinking how the "Assassin" used a shuriken, maybe one of the Samurai could get a Bow that has great damage, and takes a long time to charge up, but again low ammo so you cant just stay at a high area and snipe everyone.

Kenji_Hattori
06-19-2015, 10:19 PM
I think they focus more on the gameplay then the gore, for gore go play Mortal Kombat X. But then again they haven't said anything about that yet.

Yes, and i cannot wait to play. The gameplay is so cool and i cant wait get my hand on it.

Yugureki
06-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Yeah, that was cool, and i cant wait to use that. I was thinking how the "Assassin" used a shuriken, maybe one of the Samurai could get a Bow that has great damage, and takes a long time to charge up, but again low ammo so you cant just stay at a high area and snipe everyone.

We can't tell much for now, as a lot is still under development, but yes, we'll have different classes for each faction, with all specific gameplay styles, but we are really focused on melee/closed quarter combat, with our Art of Battle system.

Answer to someone asking about range.

I only see range as a feat rather than a actual weapon to use like a bow I believe with that being said i'd really like to see a hankyu but it would take a lot away from their Art of Battle system which they're priding themselves on.

Kimarous
06-20-2015, 05:55 AM
Not Chosen myself, but this song feels appropriate to the faction, so I thought I'd just drop it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4uRKvSa0I

Mr_Shade
06-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Wow - great eyes and information - you guys know your stuff!

Amazing ;)

Kenji_Hattori
06-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Wow - great eyes and information - you guys know your stuff!

Amazing ;)

Yes, and thank you for being apart of a great game.

Kenji_Hattori
06-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Answer to someone asking about range.

I only see range as a feat rather than a actual weapon to use like a bow I believe with that being said i'd really like to see a hankyu but it would take a lot away from their Art of Battle system which they're priding themselves on.

Well that's why you don't have that many arrows, its more of a feat to use ONLY when your in the right position. And obviously you would have to unlock it like the other feats.

TrikRisk
06-21-2015, 12:51 AM
the title

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 05:09 AM
Chosen one banzai!!

Hello and welcome! May your blows be quick and your enemies slow.

Fatal-Feit
06-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Not Chosen myself, but this song feels appropriate to the faction, so I thought I'd just drop it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4uRKvSa0I

11/10

xyzCube
06-21-2015, 10:05 AM
Hello! #IamSamurai, hehe:rolleyes:
Great work on this game, keep it up, don't mess.
I am honored to see so many samurais. It will be great. To play with you.
I think it's better without range(my opinion), this gonna be hand-to-hand combat.
Samurais here to smash with katana! :)

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 05:14 PM
Hello! #IamSamurai, hehe:rolleyes:
Great work on this game, keep it up, don't mess.
I am honored to see so many samurais. It will be great. To play with you.
I think it's better without range(my opinion), this gonna be hand-to-hand combat.
Samurais here to smash with katana! :)

Welcome! I am also glad to see these people join our ranks. I hope to play with you on the battlefield.

Well they do have ranged sort of attacks, like the feat arrow storm, and the shiruken. but not all samurai used a shuriken and adding a bow would make it more realistic.

CaesarVI00
06-21-2015, 07:31 PM
I am proud to stand amongst my fellow Bushi and followers of The Way.

The sword is the soul of the Samurai Warrior. May we all show these lesser warriors the might of our souls, and grant them the honor of dying by our hands.

CaesarVI00
06-21-2015, 07:35 PM
One of the weapons I would love to see the samurai wield is the tetsubo. What it lacks in notoriety it makes up for in sheer destruction. They were used by the samurai to break the swords, and therefore the souls of their enemies. There is a reason Japanese demons are always seen carrying the tetsubo, so let us be as demons to our enemies and break the bodies and spirits with this mighty war club.

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 07:38 PM
I am proud to stand amongst my fellow Bushi and followers of The Way.

The sword is the soul of the Samurai Warrior. May we all show these lesser warriors the might of our souls, and grant them the honor of dying by our hands.

I am proud to have so many at my side! I hope we fight glorious battle together!

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 07:40 PM
One of the weapons I would love to see the samurai wield is the tetsubo. What it lacks in notoriety it makes up for in sheer destruction. They were used by the samurai to break the swords, and therefore the souls of their enemies. There is a reason Japanese demons are always seen carrying the tetsubo, so let us be as demons to our enemies and break the bodies and spirits with this mighty war club.

That would be awesome. If they did you would see it all the time. Its a sweet weapon and i think would be a nice addition.

CaesarVI00
06-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Despite the misinformation given by popular media *cough* (Naruto!) and others, the Kusarigama was originally a samurai weapon. Used to trip up, disarm, and finish warriors armed with swords, this weapon would be another tricky asset to the Samurai arsenal.

Like any practical people with brains in their heads, unlike some others warrior classes, the samurai also used anti-armor weapons and techniques. The spear was the ultimate anti-samurai weapon, it's why poorly armored ashigaru were able to kill heavily armored hatamoto, but there were other weapons as well. The kabutowari was one such weapon. A pronged dagger designed specifically to pierce samurai armor and destroy their helmets.

And while the traditional Katana is the symbol of the Samurai Class, they actually wielded a wide variety of swords to great effect. The short Chisgatana which was used for close quarters combat, and the longer Odachi meant to kill mounted horses and multiple opponents. If it's a sword created by the samurai, then it's a weapon they have perfected using.

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Despite the misinformation given by popular media *cough* (Naruto!) and others, the Kusarigama was originally a samurai weapon. Used to trip up, disarm, and finish warriors armed with swords, this weapon would be another tricky asset to the Samurai arsenal.

Like any practical people with brains in their heads, unlike some others warrior classes, the samurai also used anti-armor weapons and techniques. The spear was the ultimate anti-samurai weapon, it's why poorly armored ashigaru were able to kill heavily armored hatamoto, but there were other weapons as well. The kabutowari was one such weapon. A pronged dagger designed specifically to pierce samurai armor and destroy their helmets.

And while the traditional Katana is the symbol of the Samurai Class, they actually wielded a wide variety of swords to great effect. The short Chisgatana which was used for close quarters combat, and the longer Odachi meant to kill mounted horses and multiple opponents. If it's a sword created by the samurai, then it's a weapon they have perfected using.

I am awear of that, i would LOVE if they used the Kusarigama, because that is my favorite weapon. However having a weapon like that with the combat system they have might be a little difficult. Although i would love to see how it would be implemented. Although i know the Kama was also a Samurai weapon developed from the tool farmers used, and that would be easy to put into the game. dual wilding Kamas would be cool, but i just wanna know what the 4th weapon they have.

RangerNarco
06-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Just the Samurai's can add a lot of variety in the game you can't just take katana for a sword it has a lot of swords in it.

Can't wait for screaming like crazy "Totsugeki da!" when the battle starts

Oakmantle
06-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Just the Samurai's can add a lot of variety in the game you can't just take katana for a sword it has a lot of swords in it.

Can't wait for screaming like crazy "Totsugeki da!" when the battle starts

Group up with me and I can provide boundless quantities of japanese shouting and dramatic monologues in voice chat ;D Something of a hobby of mine.

RangerNarco
06-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Group up with me and I can provide boundless quantities of japanese shouting and dramatic monologues in voice chat ;D Something of a hobby of mine.

It will be so much fun to fully roleplay as a Samurai you have a very nice hobby. :D

I'm honored by your thoughts of grouping and going to battle my dear friend.

Oakmantle
06-22-2015, 11:44 PM
It will be so much fun to fully roleplay as a Samurai you have a very nice hobby. :D

I'm honored by your thoughts of grouping and going to battle my dear friend.

The honour is all mine. I am anxious to see everyone's performance on the battlefield, including mine. It may take some time to explore the depths of the Art of Battle system and master how to work it, but I will be the best warrior I can be while using it! That is to say, and undefeatable master of arms that lives up to legends such as that of Honda Tadakatsu, the Warrior Who Conquered Death Itself, and Uesugi Kenshin whom was said to have been the earthly form of the God of War, Bishamonten!

"Mae he susume!"
"Osore nado suteteokina!"
"Mayouna!"
"Tsuwamono wo osaero!"
"Koitsu wa sessha ni makaseru degozaru."
"Saki ni ike!"
"Ute!"

cytovag69
06-22-2015, 11:44 PM
Righteousness
Courage
Benevolence
Respect
Sincerity
Honor
Loyalty
Self-Control
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/KenjiHattori/11403393_479350438891288_8459722824877784659_n_zps 0yseoyuu.jpg
Welcome to the unofficial thread for The Chosen!

I would like to start forming friends, and having great discussions about what we have seen and what we hope to see for our favorite faction, The Chosen. Personally i have been waiting for a game like this since before PS3. I am more hyped for this game and already more apart of the community than i am in any other game. I would like to make friends and talk about what is going to happen with this game.

I hope that they will add wooden bokkens so you can fight all musashi myamoto style and be a complete badass

Oakmantle
06-22-2015, 11:47 PM
I hope that they will add wooden bokkens so you can fight all musashi myamoto style and be a complete badass

Maybe in a practice mode, but I don't see them adding something that has quite that much comedy value on the expense of others xD

cytovag69
06-22-2015, 11:48 PM

Chigiriki
Ono
Nodachi
Kanabo
Kusari-fundo
Yari
Nagamaki
To name a few.

Duel wielding isn't too unlikely after all the most famous samurai ever duel wielded

cytovag69
06-22-2015, 11:53 PM
Maybe in a practice mode, but I don't see them adding something that has quite that much comedy value on the expense of others xD

The reason I hope they add it is if you get really good at the game u can show of how badass you are by using a wooden sword. Also what would humiliate you enemies more than beating them with a wooden stick?

Kenji_Hattori
06-22-2015, 11:54 PM

That would be sweet, but i don't think they would. I would love it very much if they could though, i mean as one of my favorite quotes "If you don't realize you can kill someone with a bokken, I don't want you using one in MY dojo..." - Frederick J. Lovret.

Kenji_Hattori
06-22-2015, 11:56 PM
Duel wielding isn't too unlikely after all the most famous samurai ever duel wielded

I belie3ve he was mostly saying Dual wielding Katana's not dual wielding. Usually someone used a Katana and Wakizashi, not 2 Katana's.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 12:03 AM
I belie3ve he was mostly saying Dual wielding Katana's not dual wielding. Usually someone used a Katana and Wakizashi, not 2 Katana's.

Your right wielding 2 full sized katanas well is next to impossible but duel wielding a second shorter sword was rather common

Kenji_Hattori
06-23-2015, 12:07 AM
Your right wielding 2 full sized katanas well is next to impossible but duel wielding a second shorter sword was rather common

Yeah and by the looks of it they will have a dual wielder. It was pointed out to me if you look to the left on the forum with the broken heads, there is a dual wielder in The Chosen helmet.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 12:09 AM
If they add real sword physics like longer swords having more reach but less speed it would be pretty awesome

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 12:16 AM
Yeah and by the looks of it they will have a dual wielder. It was pointed out to me if you look to the left on the forum with the broken heads, there is a dual wielder in The Chosen helmet.

Ya the legions can have shields so duel wielding is possible and since there is a fast and heavy attack maybe that will translate to short and long sword

RangerNarco
06-23-2015, 12:30 AM
The honour is all mine. I am anxious to see everyone's performance on the battlefield, including mine. It may take some time to explore the depths of the Art of Battle system and master how to work it, but I will be the best warrior I can be while using it! That is to say, and undefeatable master of arms that lives up to legends such as that of Honda Tadakatsu, the Warrior Who Conquered Death Itself, and Uesugi Kenshin whom was said to have been the earthly form of the God of War, Bishamonten!

"Mae he susume!"
"Mayouna!"
"Tsuwamono wo osaero!"
"Saki ni ike!"
"Ute!"

It will be fine i think an hour at most to actually get the Art of Battle system? At least seems easy to get but battlefield performance won't be good for some because you will need to get the battle's condition on your head strategically at some point.

"Ore ni tsuzuke!"

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 12:32 AM
According to this other thread there are 3 variations of samurai warriors, classic swordsman, dual wielder, and a pikeman. But the creative director of ubisoft Montreal said you could further customize each variation so anythings possible.

Oakmantle
06-23-2015, 12:33 AM
It will be fine i think an hour at most to actually get the Art of Battle system? At least seems easy to get but battlefield performance won't be good for some because you will need to get the battle's condition on your head strategically at some point.

"Ore ni tsuzuke!"

The reason why I always tend to choose the Warrior-types in games is because their mechanics tend to be incredibly basic to learn, but incredibly deep in mastering. The beauty of melee combat in a nutshell! So I don't think it'll take that long to learn how the play the system, but how to truely play it is something that will come with many many hours of gameplay, I believe.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 12:35 AM

"Ore ni tsuzuke!"

A minute to learn, a lifetime to master

RangerNarco
06-23-2015, 12:39 AM
The reason why I always tend to choose the Warrior-types in games is because their mechanics tend to be incredibly basic to learn, but incredibly deep in mastering. The beauty of melee combat in a nutshell! So I don't think it'll take that long to learn how the play the system, but how to truely play it is something that will come with many many hours of gameplay, I believe.

I think you will get the system in one hour at most everything after that becomes experience and you get good about the system.

Oakmantle
06-23-2015, 12:45 AM
Who's up and about anyhow? I'm feeling oddly social xD

SuperXFreak
06-23-2015, 12:48 AM
Hi
i like samurai but am more of ninja
will they be more types besides this 3???

Oakmantle
06-23-2015, 12:49 AM
Hi
will they be more types besides this tree???

From what I've seen it seems that the Chosen are more of a hybrid faction between Samurai and Ninjas. This seems more likely as the class played in the gameplay walkthrough was apparently called "Samurai Assassin", which would basically be just that, a Samurai/Ninja hybrid.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 12:55 AM
Hi
will they be more types besides this 3???

This game is about honorable head to head fighting something ninjas never did plus they would be to similar to samurai class

SuperXFreak
06-23-2015, 12:57 AM
i would love if they add Kusarigama

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 01:01 AM
i would love if they add Kusarigama

Unlikely because it would go against the hole idea of the melee combat just like the probably won't add a bow at least one that you can wield

SuperXFreak
06-23-2015, 01:12 AM
Beside the online mode is there gonna be offline mode like training, xp. customization and other stuff??

Oakmantle
06-23-2015, 01:16 AM
Beside the online mode is there gonna be offline mode like training, xp. customization and other stuff??

They've announced that there will be a singleplayer campaign, and customization will be a part of the multiplayer. If you look around the forum and some of the links posted you should be able to find all current information on the game.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 01:17 AM

Full campaign mode and everything!

Kenji_Hattori
06-23-2015, 02:29 AM
Unlikely because it would go against the hole idea of the melee combat just like the probably won't add a bow at least one that you can wield

I dont think it would go completely against melee, since it isn't a ranged weapon per say. Although it would be cool ot have dual Kama's, but i doubt that. Im still wondering what the 4th weapon would be.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 02:49 AM
I dont think it would go completely against melee, since it isn't a ranged weapon per say. Although it would be cool ot have dual Kama's, but i doubt that. Im still wondering what the 4th weapon would be.

If they do add it it would probably be a special weapon for the dual wielder class that you get for leveling up enough but still doubtful.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 02:56 AM
Sai would be cool but they're more ninja than samurai

Kenji_Hattori
06-23-2015, 04:58 AM
If they do add it it would probably be a special weapon for the dual wielder class that you get for leveling up enough but still doubtful.

Yes, that would be cool, and i also doubt it would happen. And Sai would be cool, i would be interested to see the final blow animations for them.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 09:07 AM
Yes, that would be cool, and i also doubt it would happen. And Sai would be cool, i would be interested to see the final blow animations for them.
Sai seem kinda useless since the are designed to break swords but there's no way they could break a broadsword or a battleaxe

CaesarVI00
06-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Sai seem kinda useless since the are designed to break swords but there's no way they could break a broadsword or a battleaxe

I agree. While they may work well as off hand weapons like the jitte, using just the sai on the battlefield seems pointless. Such weapons were the tools of peasants, not masters of war. The power of such weapons, the sai, nunchaku and tonfa, lied in surprise and were used as weapons of self-defense, not weapons of war. That is why the samurai never used them combat. None of those weapons can pierce armor, and they have a serious lack of reach and power, so I would never use those against armed and armored Vikings and knights.

We are the samurai, master of war and followers of the Way. Let us use the weapons the great samurai taught us to wield, the Daisho, the Yari, Naginata and the Yumi to destroy any and all who oppose us.

CaesarVI00
06-23-2015, 07:47 PM

"Mae he susume!"
"Mayouna!"
"Tsuwamono wo osaero!"
"Saki ni ike!"
"Ute!"

Let's not forget the other great samurai warriors who've graced the battlefield and left their mark on history. The giant warrior monk Benkei who died standing against a hundred enemies. Miyamoto Musashi who fought in the battle of Sekigahara and won over 60 duels. Takeda Shingen, the Tiger of Kai, master strategist and Uesugi Kenshin's rival. Kono Michiari who charged the invading Mongol Armada in a rowboat and took their admiral hostage after slaying dozens of Mongols singlehandedly. And Sanada Yukimura, the Crimson Demon of War, and The Last Sengoku Hero, who fought in every major battle during the Azuchi-Momoyama, and died fighting impossible against impossible odds and made Tokugawa fear for his life.

We should all strive to be as great as them, and killing the Legions and Warborn would be a good start.

Oakmantle
06-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Let's not forget the other great samurai warriors who've graced the battlefield and left their mark on history. The giant warrior monk Benkei who died standing against a hundred enemies. Miyamoto Musashi who fought in the battle of Sekigahara and won over 60 duels. Takeda Shingen, the Tiger of Kai, master strategist and Uesugi Kenshin's rival. Kono Michiari who charged the invading Mongol Armada in a rowboat and took their admiral hostage after slaying dozens of Mongols singlehandedly. And Sanada Yukimura, the Crimson Demon of War, and The Last Sengoku Hero, who fought in every major battle during the Azuchi-Momoyama, and died fighting impossible against impossible odds and made Tokugawa fear for his life.

We should all strive to be as great as them, and killing the Legions and Warborn would be a good start.

By no means am I forgetting. But I'll refrain from listing them all, as the post would run longer than reason >.<

Yugureki
06-23-2015, 08:59 PM

I was referring to two Katana, yes. I mentioned Miyamoto's fighting style and dual wielding a few post after if you saw.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 09:07 PM
I was referring to two Katana, yes. I mentioned Miyamoto's fighting style and dual wielding a few post after if you saw.
Okay sorry for the misunderstanding BTW Miyamoto's awesome. They should add a bokken in honor of him.

Yugureki
06-23-2015, 09:11 PM
Okay sorry for the misunderstanding BTW Miyamoto's awesome. They should add a bokken in honor of him.

A bokken really wouldn't do to well against enemies as we see people decapitating each other and with weapons that can cleave through armor it's almost unlikely since regardless of how I real master wielded it this is a game and our blades make contact with others.

Although in a different thread in Suggestions I suggested he be added as one of the playable Heroes awhile ago as well as others.

This is basically a thread asking who would YOU like to see as heroes for the fractions i'll start by listing mine who are historical by the way.

Samurai
Miyamoto Musashi
Sasaki Kojiro
Tomoe Gozen (Women were confirmed playable so I for one would LOVE for her to be added.)
Hattori Hanzo

Knights
Bertrand du Guesclin
Joan of Arc (I like the idea of having female heroes in the game)
William Marshal

Vikings
Freydis Eriksdottir (More females!)
Bjorn Ironside

Doctrinaire
06-23-2015, 09:13 PM
there are no chosen...only the fallen...at my feat, defeated. :cool:

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 09:31 PM
A bokken really wouldn't do to well against enemies as we see people decapitating each other and with weapons that can cleave through armor it's almost unlikely since regardless of how I real master wielded it this is a game and our blades make contact with others.

Although in a different thread in Suggestions I suggested he be added as one of the playable Heroes awhile ago as well as others.

That's the point. The bokken should do next to no damage because it de a true test of you skill. It's not a completely useless weapon Miyamoto himself used one to take down his greatest opponent.

Yugureki
06-23-2015, 10:02 PM
That's the point. The bokken should do next to no damage because it de a true test of you skill. It's not a completely useless weapon Miyamoto himself used one to take down his greatest opponent.

I know, Sasaki but even with that they are way to many stories of it down to even political reasons for anything to be confirmed as fact on that.
But it is after all a video game, and the art of battle is different. Single Combat style fighting is a whole different ball game with the other factions involved.

cytovag69
06-23-2015, 10:12 PM
I know, Sasaki but even with that they are way to many stories of it down to even political reasons for anything to be confirmed as fact on that.
But it is after all a video game, and the art of battle is different. Single Combat style fighting is a whole different ball game with the other factions involved.

It is the most accepted version of the story the rest are mostly conspiracy theories but it doesn't really matter it just be cool.

Yugureki
06-23-2015, 10:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H52rACMIi5Q&feature=youtu.be

Kenji_Hattori
06-24-2015, 04:27 AM

While they were designed to break swords, that is not all they were used for. They could easily deflect swords and could kill. Granted killing would be harder since they were bludgeon tools, but it could happen.

Kenji_Hattori
06-24-2015, 04:31 AM

Its always nice to see someone remembering the great ones. I have to say my favorite would probably have to be either Sanada Yukimura, or Benkei. But yes, we should strive to be like them,and remember that our hearts will always conquer our enemies.

Kenji_Hattori
06-24-2015, 04:33 AM
there are no chosen...only the fallen...at my feat, defeated. :cool:

With our swift movements and precise strikes im sure you will be at our feet, as we will not go down.

cytovag69
06-24-2015, 04:40 AM
While they were designed to break swords, that is not all they were used for. They could easily deflect swords and could kill. Granted killing would be harder since they were bludgeon tools, but it could happen.

What really kills sai in this game is their lake of range. If the enemy is carrying a longsword or a battleaxe which they will you would be able to touch them let alone reach their neck(the only unarmored area capable of a lethal blow). The would surely be cool after all I suggested it in the first place but if you think about it its next to useless.

Kenji_Hattori
06-24-2015, 04:43 AM
What really kills sai in this game is their lake of range. If the enemy is carrying a longsword or a battleaxe which they will you would be able to touch them let alone reach their neck(the only unarmored area capable of a lethal blow). The would surely be cool after all I suggested it in the first place but if you think about it its next to useless.

Yes, very useless, kind of like trying to kill a swimming fish with an axe underwater. As i said it would be hard to kill with it, unless you sharpened the tip, but that would be silly.

cytovag69
06-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Samurai should have a infinite sword attack

Doctrinaire
06-24-2015, 03:21 PM
With our swift movements and precise strikes im sure you will be at our feet, as we will not go down.
will not go down? my friend...you have already fallen. :p

Yugureki
06-25-2015, 04:50 AM
Samurai should have a infinite sword attack

Unsure what you mean by that but the Samurai have been said to have the better offensive abilities by the devs with the negative side of lower defense.

cytovag69
06-25-2015, 05:04 AM
Unsure what you mean by that but the Samurai have been said to have the better offensive abilities by the devs with the negative side of lower defense.

Well in this anime this Samurai dude carries like 50 swords with him and them after calling out "Infinite sword attack" for no reason no magic involved at all and then he throws the swords up in the air and then they rain down on the enemies. It almost certainly doesn't happen in real life(Katanas aren't cheep) but it still be cool.

Oakmantle
06-25-2015, 08:27 AM
It just occured to me that even though our faction is the least popular according to the poll-thread, we have by far the most active thread. Even vikings and knights come here to taunt ever so often xD Comparatively, we have 11 pages worth of posts, while theirs have about 2 xP

Suppose we can chalk it up as a pre-war victory! ;)

Yugureki
06-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Well in this anime this Samurai dude carries like 50 swords with him and them after calling out "Infinite sword attack" for no reason no magic involved at all and then he throws the swords up in the air and then they rain down on the enemies. It almost certainly doesn't happen in real life(Katanas aren't cheep) but it still be cool.

That's cool and all but despite being a fictional game I doubt they'll ever add that, we have Arrow Storm which is pretty much the same you know just minus swords.

It just occured to me that even though our faction is the least popular according to the poll-thread, we have by far the most active thread. Even vikings and knights come here to taunt ever so often xD Comparatively, we have 11 pages worth of posts, while theirs have about 2 xP

We're probably more enthusiastic for our Faction.
With that being said I should get to getting some of the PS4 Chosen on my Friends list.
PSN: Yugureki.

Anyone can add me honestly just a nice thought to start getting some now to fight alongside with when For Honor comes out.

SuperXFreak
06-25-2015, 04:27 PM

:cool:

Fatal-Feit
06-25-2015, 04:39 PM

this game isn't even out yet and the battles have already begun

Oakmantle
06-25-2015, 10:01 PM

Subversive activities set the stage for all-out battles ;)

slicknick99
06-26-2015, 02:29 AM

This is just the quiet before the storm, all will fall to The Chosen!

Kenji_Hattori
06-26-2015, 04:33 AM
This is just the quiet before the storm, all will fall to The Chosen!

Exactly! We may be few but we are powerful!

Yugureki
06-30-2015, 11:14 AM
だめ!

How'd we manage to get on the third page :'(

Fatal-Feit
07-01-2015, 02:08 AM
I don't think we're allowed to bump threads.

Oakmantle
07-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Not much happening is there. With no new information, people are just repeating the same discussions and piling on the wishlists xP

Kenji_Hattori
07-03-2015, 01:42 AM
だめ!

How'd we manage to get on the third page :'(Not to much to talk about unless we get more info on whats going on with the game, and honestly i dont know if we can recruit people to our cause. I guess we can try, put our thread on other forums or websites, talk to random people about For Honor and see if they are with us as a Chosen.

I don't think we're allowed to bump threads.
I never saw anything in the rules about it, but i would rather not have us bump our way when we are truly more passionate about our side. I believe when we can, when we get more info, we will still be the most used thread. We are The Chosen and will always be here for one another.

Not much happening is there. With no new information, people are just repeating the same discussions and piling on the wishlists xP

Yeah Lots of the same threads asking for the same things, wanting new things when the game hasn't been out yet. Lol
Kind of silly. Im still hella pumped for the game but i wanna play and the more i see the time going by so slowly the more sad i get about the game not being out.

Yugureki
07-23-2015, 05:24 AM
Just hoping on some news for the beta in the future!

Ant Heuser Kush
07-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Welcome my chosen brothers and sisters!

UbiBooma
07-26-2015, 08:43 PM
I never saw anything in the rules about it, but i would rather not have us bump our way when we are truly more passionate about our side.

Technically bumping is not allowed (see forum rules (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/907678-Forum-Rules?p=10142076&viewfull=1#post10142076)) but there's the law then there's the spirit of the law. I noticed a bump in this thread and thought that there was so much positive energy it doesn't constitute the kind of bump that mods are supposed to address. But just so ya know :D

Shuai8297
08-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Righteousness
Courage
Benevolence
Respect
Sincerity
Honor
Loyalty
Self-Control

Not to be that guy, but isn't that just a list of random virtues? ^^
Personally I'd put it this way;

Legion:
Righteousness
Benevolence

Warborn:
Courage
Respect
Loyalty

Chosen:
Sincerity
Honor
Self-Control

Oakmantle
08-04-2015, 01:49 AM
Personally I'd put it this way;

Legion:
Righteousness
Benevolence

Warborn:
Courage
Respect
Loyalty

Chosen:
Sincerity
Honor
Self-Control

It may look like a list of random virtues, but it is actually a set of eight virtues explicitly listed in bushido :3

Greetings to my fellow Chosen comrades :-)

Well, i guess i won't be adding to wishlists much, simply due to the fact that i will be confidently staying with a single Katana as my weapon in this game. Doing Training and Teaching in Kenjutsu and at times - for adding in flavor - medieval fighting as well, there is nothing i don't feel capeable of beating with an ordinary Katana. Of course, ye win some, ye loose some and in the course of the years i Encountered some strong and interesting fighters, but impersonating a fighter that kinda uses the way you fight aswell is "near-perfect" for myself already :)

Greetings to you as well, good sir!

'tis good, 'tis good. 'tis good to see likeminded people! I am an avid fanatic of swords, myself. Though the katana is by far my weapon of choice, I also dabble in western longswords. There is something beautiful, and effective, in simplistic and straight forward designs! But with a single katana in hand, I won't lose easily 8D

MisterWillow
08-04-2015, 03:11 AM

If you'll forgive a Viking's presence. :p

They're the eight virtues of Bushido, which, as a specific list, if I'm not mistaken, was codified by Nitobe Inazo in his 1900 book Bushido: The Soul of Japan, in which he explored samurai ethics. Prior to that (again, if I'm not mistaken), Bushido was a sort of vague understanding of honour and respect among samurai, to protect the weak, be sincere, and so on and so forth, but was never an explicit set of values, but everyone loves lists for their simplicity and ease of understanding.

The Nine Noble Virtues, for example, is the basic ethical code of conduct of Neopagans of the Norse tradition (Ásatru), codified in the 1970s by the Odinic Rite, based on the ethical values espoused in the ancient Eddas, Sagas, and other miscellaneous myths and poetry that survived, but specifically the Hávamál (http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/havamal.html). They are:
- Courage
- Truth
- Honour
- Fidelity
- Discipline
- Hospitality
- Self-reliance
- Industriousness
- Perseverance

Knightly Chivalry---since I'm on the subject---is the same way, sort of. Most of the 'Chivalric Code' has been cobbled together via historians, and there are a few variations. Given that many knightly orders were also religious orders---or even if they weren't explicitly, Catholicism basically dominated medićval European ethics anyway---many of them included swearing fealty to God and the Church, but are, again, general codes of conduct, or virtues to obey. The Song of Roland, which is the oldest example, listed seventeen:
- To fear God and maintain His Church
- To serve the liege lord in valour and faith
- To protect the weak and defenceless
- To give succour to widows and orphans
- To refrain from the wanton giving of offence
- To live by honour and for glory
- To despise pecuniary reward
- To fight for the welfare of all
- To obey those placed in authority
- To guard the honour of fellow knights
- To eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit
- To keep faith
- At all times to speak the truth
- To persevere to the end in any enterprise begun
- To respect the honour of women
- Never to refuse a challenge from an equal
- Never to turn the back upon a foe

The Duke of Burgandy made his own code in the 14th century:
- Faith
- Charity
- Justice
- Sagacity
- Prudence
- Temperance
- Resolution
- Truth
- Liberality
- Diligence
- Hope
- Valour

I found other shorter lists as well, probably more modern, combining different virtues, seeking to simplify the Chivalric Code for the sake of memory, the most common of which is:
- Courage
- Justice
- Mercy
- Faith
- Hope
- Strength
- Truth

All of these, as you might have noticed, have at least passing similarities to the virtues of Bushido, which I don't find all that surprising, since, just as Jason observed during the Masterclass (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlU_6bgA0po) that many different cultures found the similar weapon positions kept you safe, it isn't unreasonable that many different cultures found similar values virtuous.

Apologies for the tangent/intrusion/hijack. Resume samurai discussion. :D

Yugureki
08-04-2015, 04:16 AM
-snip-
I think it was a good thing to post it! Samurai or not :)

Shuai8297
08-06-2015, 04:43 PM
*Wall of Text*

Well, if we're talking about the real world it's not weird that the codes and customs of different cultures around the world detail a comprehensive and well-rounded list of virtues. After all, why would you set your ambition on anything less?
However, as mentioned in the masterclass, in "this world" (the game), each faction governs a specific ideal, or rather, aspect of combat.

As the creative director described;
The legion are the protectors, the defenders of their people.
The warborn live for passion, thriving in the heat of battle.
The chosen strive for mastery, over themselves and the battlefield.

So when it comes to what each faction represent; while their real world counterpart might've had a much broader code of ethics and ideals, if the factions are to not step on each others toes and retain their own unique identity, their motives and beliefs need to be focused on only the core characteristics of the respective faction. Otherwise the lines will be blurred out and we get a bunch of people all fighting for honor. (Which admittedly isn't such a terrible thought, but still...)

MisterWillow
08-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Well, if we're talking about the real world it's not weird that the codes and customs of different cultures around the world detail a comprehensive and well-rounded list of virtues. After all, why would you set your ambition on anything less?
However, as mentioned in the masterclass, in "this world" (the game), each faction governs a specific ideal, or rather, aspect of combat.

As the creative director described;
The legion are the protectors, the defenders of their people.
The warborn live for passion, thriving in the heat of battle.
The chosen strive for mastery, over themselves and the battlefield.

So when it comes to what each faction represent; while their real world counterpart might've had a much broader code of ethics and ideals, if the factions are to not step on each others toes and retain their own unique identity, their motives and beliefs need to be focused on only the core characteristics of the respective faction. Otherwise the lines will be blurred out and we get a bunch of people all fighting for honor. (Which admittedly isn't such a terrible thought, but still...)

While, contextual to the game, I can see where you're coming from a bit, we aren't aware of how rigidly the factions will stick to those rather simplistic archetypes. If the campaign's story hopes to be even half-way effective, it needs to contain nuance in order for the audience to relate to the characters. And to be honest, if they're going to give us a campaign (and I'm glad they are), I'd prefer to see certain, base reflections of each faction in the other---so that despite their conflicting goals, they can at least respect one another in combat---than a stereotypical:
Knights = stalwart protectors of the weak and downtrodden
Vikings = bloodthirsty barbarians that rape and pillage
Samurai = warrior philosophers composing haikus about fighting's relation to the rest of life

Also, given that we have very little info on the in-game philosophies of the factions---or at least how well Jason's brief summations translate into the campaign---people have been relating their chosen faction to their historical counterparts, which is why Kenji listed Bushido's eight virtues, and why I have an old Viking saying in my signature.

SuperXFreak
09-15-2015, 09:49 PM
First trailer about The Oni :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x_lceIxBCM

Oakmantle
09-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Looking at the 'key abilities', they only mention the three. Does this mean they're locked according to which class you pick, I wonder? I do like my customization.

bmjohn01
09-21-2015, 05:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNKD45ge-Rk worked really hard on it hope you guys like

UbiBooma
09-21-2015, 07:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNKD45ge-Rk worked really hard on it hope you guys like

Loving the Samarai Champloo soundtrack.

I laughed several times. Thank you so much.

MrForHonor
09-22-2015, 04:11 PM

Haha, quality commentry :)

Kenji_Hattori
07-05-2016, 03:23 AM
I cannot wait anymore! I want this game out! As soon as i can im pre-ordering. I wanna see a really cool 3 type pre-order collectors edition as well. I know i have not been active recently, due to personal reasons. I will be much more active now. For the Chosen!

Killerbrian26
07-05-2016, 05:01 AM
Just gonna drop in here and throw in some answers to some things people want to see from what I have seen.

Customization
Currently speaking, in the legacy battle-pack (preorder bonus thing), there are special customization pieces for each of the faction's helmets, leading me to believe they will be heavily customizable. There is confirmation on customization for chest, shoulders, arms, legs, and helmets. As well as this, in an interview, Jason Vandenburghe (the creative director) shed some light on weapon customization stating that, though the weapon will stay the same, a weapon is made up of parts a player can change for trade-offs in stats, while in the campaign there will be a power curve.

Weapons.
The Nodachi is a confirmed weapon of the Kensei class, shown on the website and by enemy Kenseis in the Viking campaign gameplay mission. Jason Vandenburghe also confirmed that players will NOT be able to use bows and arrows, due to the focus put on the Art of Battle system. On the topic of Kusarigamas and dual wielding, I made a post on a separate thread about my thoughts and opinions on the topic that can be found here http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1466440-Expand-the-roster!?p=11806117#post11806117

MrKurt1994
07-05-2016, 09:34 PM
So excited to play The Chosen, Samurai and Ninja were the only class I played in Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior because I couldn't get my fix anywhere else hundreds of hours in that. Their playstyle is exactly what I excel at can't wait preordered the gold edition. Looking forward to having some intense duels hopefully during the beta :).

Kenji_Hattori
07-06-2016, 08:49 AM
So excited to play The Chosen, Samurai and Ninja were the only class I played in Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior because I couldn't get my fix anywhere else hundreds of hours in that. Their playstyle is exactly what I excel at can't wait preordered the gold edition. Looking forward to having some intense duels hopefully during the beta :).

Yeah im very excited, i want it out now. I did not get to play alpha and as soon as it comes out i am going to play like no bodies business.

Kenji_Hattori
07-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Just gonna drop in here and throw in some answers to some things people want to see from what I have seen.

Customization
Currently speaking, in the legacy battle-pack (preorder bonus thing), there are special customization pieces for each of the faction's helmets, leading me to believe they will be heavily customizable. There is confirmation on customization for chest, shoulders, arms, legs, and helmets. As well as this, in an interview, Jason Vandenburghe (the creative director) shed some light on weapon customization stating that, though the weapon will stay the same, a weapon is made up of parts a player can change for trade-offs in stats, while in the campaign there will be a power curve.

Weapons.
The Nodachi is a confirmed weapon of the Kensei class, shown on the website and by enemy Kenseis in the Viking campaign gameplay mission. Jason Vandenburghe also confirmed that players will NOT be able to use bows and arrows, due to the focus put on the Art of Battle system. On the topic of Kusarigamas and dual wielding, I made a post on a separate thread about my thoughts and opinions on the topic that can be found here http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1466440-Expand-the-roster!?p=11806117#post11806117
That is awesome, Customization is something i am very excited for. Is there any other information on pre order stuff? Like any special editions? I am very much hoping for a different special edition for each faction.

Killerbrian26
07-06-2016, 10:39 PM
That is awesome, Customization is something i am very excited for. Is there any other information on pre order stuff? Like any special editions? I am very much hoping for a different special edition for each faction.

The only news we have about the preorder as of now is that there will be the normal, deluxe and gold editions with, with all of them getting the legacy pack as a preorder bonus, both deluxe and gold coming with the deluxe pack and the gold having the season pass.

There is currently nothing confirmed as to what's been in the season pass though there has been speculation in other threads.

The Legacy battle pack contains a special costume for the Kensei, Warden and Raider classes. The costumes all have a red colorscheme with unique designs on their armor. A full picture can be found here: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/images/bonus/ForHonor_bonusLG.jpg

The Deluxe battle pack contains a boost package (unknown as to what for), an exclusive emblem (unknown as to what it is), an execution mood (a white trail following executions and what I speculate to be one of the game's customizable effects) and finally a unique helmet crests for each faction, attachable to a helmet (unknown if they are only for the Kensei, Warden, and Raider classes or universal among their faction). The Samurai's as an oversized gold crescent, the Knight's is a Ram protruding from the front of the helmet, and the Viking's are some very long, downward pointed horns. An image of what is contained can be found here: http://gameplaying.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/for-honor-deluxe-edition-about.jpg

TheEmptyGrave
07-07-2016, 01:47 AM
I feel as if I'm late to the party but I have really enjoyed reading some of the posts on here and I decided there was no time like the present to put my two cents in. I am really excited to get my hands on this game and for over Play multiplayer with some of you guys. The weapon that I am most excited to see is the Kusarigama I'm not sure this has been said or not but i feel that this is a awesome weapon and would be very effective with the new physics and melee based attacks that I have seen in the walk threw I look forward to hearing from you guys soon.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110119232025/deadliestfiction/images/c/c3/Kusarigama.jpg

waraidako
07-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Like a flail, the kusarigama is the kind of weapon that seems good in theory, but doesn't work in practice.

It expects too much. It expects flat open spaces where it can't get snagged on things. It expects the opponent to hold their sword still, in a manner that makes it easy to bind it. It expects the opponent to not attack when the chain is pointing towards them moving away, when it needs a full rotation before becoming a threat again. It expects the opponent to always try to deal with the chain with their main weapon, instead of just letting it wrap around their arm and grabbing hold of it.

If any of these aren't true, the chain becomes more of a liability than a benefit. On a battlefield against armoured opponents it's equivalent to wielding a kitchen knife.

Friguscorde
07-16-2016, 01:31 AM
as long as i get to play as an honorable and awesome samurai, im happy, i LOVE samurai, its the only reason i play deadlyist warriors dlc for chivalry, because i get to play as one and its the only game that feels like actually being a samurai, i think for honor will replace this though, ill probably stop playing chivalry when for honor comes out.

Kenji_Hattori
07-21-2016, 08:24 AM
as long as i get to play as an honorable and awesome samurai, im happy, i LOVE samurai, its the only reason i play deadlyist warriors dlc for chivalry, because i get to play as one and its the only game that feels like actually being a samurai, i think for honor will replace this though, ill probably stop playing chivalry when for honor comes out.

Yeah, i cannot wait either. Its going to be fun and awesome. Im still not sure if im getting it on PC or PS4.

Kenji_Hattori
07-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Like a flail, the kusarigama is the kind of weapon that seems good in theory, but doesn't work in practice.

It expects too much. It expects flat open spaces where it can't get snagged on things. It expects the opponent to hold their sword still, in a manner that makes it easy to bind it. It expects the opponent to not attack when the chain is pointing towards them moving away, when it needs a full rotation before becoming a threat again. It expects the opponent to always try to deal with the chain with their main weapon, instead of just letting it wrap around their arm and grabbing hold of it.

If any of these aren't true, the chain becomes more of a liability than a benefit. On a battlefield against armoured opponents it's equivalent to wielding a kitchen knife.
I agree with all of these points. Its a very slow weapon in a face paced environment. Its not something that is practical by any means. But it is really cool and awesome looking.

Kenji_Hattori
07-21-2016, 08:28 AM
The only news we have about the preorder as of now is that there will be the normal, deluxe and gold editions with, with all of them getting the legacy pack as a preorder bonus, both deluxe and gold coming with the deluxe pack and the gold having the season pass.

There is currently nothing confirmed as to what's been in the season pass though there has been speculation in other threads.

The Legacy battle pack contains a special costume for the Kensei, Warden and Raider classes. The costumes all have a red colorscheme with unique designs on their armor. A full picture can be found here: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/images/bonus/ForHonor_bonusLG.jpg

The Deluxe battle pack contains a boost package (unknown as to what for), an exclusive emblem (unknown as to what it is), an execution mood (a white trail following executions and what I speculate to be one of the game's customizable effects) and finally a unique helmet crests for each faction, attachable to a helmet (unknown if they are only for the Kensei, Warden, and Raider classes or universal among their faction). The Samurai's as an oversized gold crescent, the Knight's is a Ram protruding from the front of the helmet, and the Viking's are some very long, downward pointed horns. An image of what is contained can be found here: http://gameplaying.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/for-honor-deluxe-edition-about.jpg
Sweetness, that sounds pretty cool. Price isnt bad either. Im going to wait until i know whats in each thing before preordering though. I like the things in the gold edition, but i dont see that being worth it at the moment.

Killerbrian26
07-22-2016, 05:32 AM
Sweetness, that sounds pretty cool. Price isnt bad either. Im going to wait until i know whats in each thing before preordering though. I like the things in the gold edition, but i dont see that being worth it at the moment.

Basically the same thing I'm doing. I'm applying the rule that I think everyone learned a great deal about from the new Battlefront to not preorder the Season Pass until you know what kind of content to expect. As much as I'm excited and pumped for this game, mistakes can still happen and something like the Watchdogs release could happen.

Kenji_Hattori
08-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Basically the same thing I'm doing. I'm applying the rule that I think everyone learned a great deal about from the new Battlefront to not preorder the Season Pass until you know what kind of content to expect. As much as I'm excited and pumped for this game, mistakes can still happen and something like the Watchdogs release could happen.

Yeah, and that would be unfortunate if it wasn't something you really wanted. I am still hoping for a collectors edition kind of like Kingdom Come is doing. If you have not seen that game you should check it out. It looks pretty cool and the collectors edition is really awesome, a bit pricey, but i feel the price is worth what you get.