PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone see For Honor as a potential e-sport?

Serdones
06-17-2015, 10:06 AM
"E-sport" may too high of a mark; a game probably has to be insanely popular to get a functional "league" going. (I don't follow e-sports very closely; go easy on me.) Still, I'm at least interested in the possibility of For Honor developing a dedicated competitive community. I'd love it to grow a significant Twitch presence, for instance. During yesterday's E3 coverage, I even remember at least a few journalists discussing how well For Honor could do on Twitch.

If the developers could shed light on whether For Honor is at all intended for this competitive scene, that would be fantastic. Though of course, they can only disclose so much.

So to the prospective players, do you see signs of what I'm talking about in For Honor? One user made a comparison to MOBAs in another thread, which I'd noticed too. Obviously the gameplay and aesthetic are significantly different, but the use of AI units, small team sizes, Feats and control points is at least somewhat evocative of MOBAs. Though maybe there's a more appropriate comparison I'm not multiplayer-savvy enough to know.

Obviously nothing's been said to this effect, but I'd also love the inclusion of a 1v1 duel arena, possibly with the ability to adjust parameters (health, damage, etc.) so as to extend duel durations. Maybe really good AI Heroes in a practice mode too.

Yugureki
06-17-2015, 10:13 AM
"E-sport" may too high of a mark; a game probably has to be insanely popular to get a functional "league" going. (I don't follow e-sports very closely; go easy on me.) Still, I'm at least interested in the possibility of For Honor developing a dedicated competitive community. I'd love it to grow a significant Twitch presence, for instance. During yesterday's E3 coverage, I even remember at least a few journalists discussing how well For Honor could do on Twitch.

If the developers could shed light on whether For Honor is at all intended for this competitive scene, that would be fantastic. Though of course, they can only disclose so much.

So to the prospective players, do you see signs of what I'm talking about in For Honor? One user made a comparison to MOBAs in another thread, which I'd noticed too. Obviously the gameplay and aesthetic are significantly different, but the use of AI units, small team sizes, Feats and control points is at least somewhat evocative of MOBAs. Though maybe there's a more appropriate comparison I'm not multiplayer-savvy enough to know.

Obviously nothing's been said to this effect, but I'd also love the inclusion of a 1v1 duel arena, possibly with the ability to adjust parameters (health, damage, etc.) so as to extend duel durations. Maybe really good AI Heroes in a practice mode too.

I actually do feel this game call pull off well as a "E-Sport" it might actually be one that i'd be interested to actually compete in rather than watch like I do LoL.

Also I think that it has the potential to do extremely well with the Twitch as those journalists discussed, Twitch could in all make this game blow up and becomes a hit if it comes out as a whole and not broken. I really like the idea of For Honor and i'm not the only person who thinks it was the most exciting thing at E3 so far, we have all these other titles but something new and innovative was needed and who knows, if For Honor does well we could see a new market genre of games like it.

We've seen one Game Mode (Dominion Mode) and a little bit of the action but until I see more than we'll never know what the end product will be like I'm hoping at least four game modes at most six we also don't know if there are rounds in a match for like Dominion mode or anything else.

It's been called a MOBA but there really isn't a set genre for it and I like that.

Sixty-nl
06-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Its a whole new Genre, and gameplay wise it has the possibility to be part of the E-sport, but first lets see what the other gameplay modes are. I am hoping for some 1vs1 modes, so that you can rotate with friends or maybe use it for when there are draws in the match. Off course it depends on the game mode, since the current game mode Dominion has already put in place for it.

Serdones
06-17-2015, 11:06 AM
This video mentions some of the other modes available in For Honor.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/06/16/for-honor-everything-we-know-so-far

It's super great that we're getting a pretty thorough suite of game modes, especially when so many multiplayer games are abandoning couch-up. Nothing explicitly feeds into the whole e-sport discussion, but being able to play matches entirely with bots is really promising. Fighters in particular benefit a ton from training with bots. It allows them to "go to the lab" and practice combos and figure out mechanics. This video doesn't necessarily promise a straight-up training mode, but at least we know you can do bot matches at all. And being able to play splitscreen with a friend can also be a huge help if you want to practice and analyze. Again, such a thorough suite of game modes should do wonders for the game's longevity and playerbase.

Sixty-nl
06-17-2015, 12:58 PM
i hope that the split screen offers 1vs1 fights, this way i can have a little competition with friends. Or even train together with them to improve our skills.

Arconar
06-17-2015, 01:34 PM
On the subject of duel mode: It doesn't seem to me that the major emphasis in this game is its teamplay, but rather individual skill. That's not to say teamplay isn't important, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet - in light of how proud they are of AoB - that a duel mode is a given. I'd be very surprised if this isn't in the game tbh.

As for e-sports: Similar games, such as Chivalry, Mount & Blade, War of the Roses, etc, all have/had a very dedicated competitive scene - especially Chivalry and Mount & Blade. These competitive scenes are fairly small, however, and are nowhere near the size of that of a MOBA or FPS. That being said, there have been no game like this made by as big of a developer as Ubisoft before, so who knows?

For the record, I don't think this game can be classed as a MOBA just because it has minions, objectives and small team sizes. A MOBA game usually entails lanes, a focus on specific heroes and their roles in a composition, gold to buy items, leveling up to get new skills, destroying the opposition's base, etc. A MOBA game would be league of legends, Dota, Heroes of Newerth and Smite; a person who wants to watch MOBA e-sports will generally not find what they're looking for in a game like For Honor, I don't think.

Sixty-nl
06-17-2015, 03:19 PM
i agree, if anything this is more of an hack and slasher then an MOBA.

SpaceElephant
06-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Interesting question :) Looking forward to know what you guys think!
For us, eSports is not something we claim, but something we gain, with the support from the community and competitive players. You guys will probably decide when the game comes out.
Cheers

TheLight-Boogey
06-17-2015, 08:22 PM
For us, eSports is not something we claim, but something we gain, with the support from the community and competitive players. You guys will probably decide when the game comes out.
Cheers

The only thing the community needs to make this happen is Private Matches with some customization features!

Sixty-nl
06-17-2015, 09:13 PM
I agree, maybe put in a spectator mode so that people can stream the match that way and commentate on it.

spaff_meister
06-17-2015, 10:45 PM
One of my first thoughts - and i'm not sure why - is that this game would be great to watch as an ESport. Cinematically, it's perfect imo, and the concept is simple enough to grasp and be entertained.

What it comes down to then is the gameplay specifics, the balancing, the learning curve and mastery requisite. For a game like this, which's combat system we've only seen the likes of a few times before, there's a lot that could go "wrong," in the ways of being too easy/unbalanced for it to be eSports worthy.

I'll likely pre-order though, so long as I get more information on the gameplay mechanics, as the game looks ace.

Serdones
06-18-2015, 06:24 AM
Cheers

I appreciate the input.

Fortunately, I have seen quite a bit of buzz about For Honor's competitive potential here and around other parts of social media, so hopefully the community does push the game in that direction.

DirtyBirdie
06-18-2015, 06:34 AM
I very much hope so :D

Serdones
06-18-2015, 06:36 AM
On the subject of duel mode: It doesn't seem to me that the major emphasis in this game is its teamplay, but rather individual skill. That's not to say teamplay isn't important, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet - in light of how proud they are of AoB - that a duel mode is a given. I'd be very surprised if this isn't in the game tbh.

As for e-sports: Similar games, such as Chivalry, Mount & Blade, War of the Roses, etc, all have/had a very dedicated competitive scene - especially Chivalry and Mount & Blade. These competitive scenes are fairly small, however, and are nowhere near the size of that of a MOBA or FPS. That being said, there have been no game like this made by as big of a developer as Ubisoft before, so who knows?

For the record, I don't think this game can be classed as a MOBA just because it has minions, objectives and small team sizes. A MOBA game usually entails lanes, a focus on specific heroes and their roles in a composition, gold to buy items, leveling up to get new skills, destroying the opposition's base, etc. A MOBA game would be league of legends, Dota, Heroes of Newerth and Smite; a person who wants to watch MOBA e-sports will generally not find what they're looking for in a game like For Honor, I don't think.

Yeah, I didn't mean to classify For Honor as MOBA -- just mentioned that some people and I had made that comparison based on some possibly similar features. Comparison isn't necessarily classification. We'd also been speculating in another thread that maybe the AI units were part of a MOBA-esque mid-match progression system. Afterwards, I read an article from IGN mentioning AI units could be killed for "points," and then said about Feats that they were unlocked with "consecutive kills." From that, I guessed they only meant consecutive kills of enemy players, as killing a bunch of AI units isn't much of a problem. And since Feats are the only sort of mid-match character progression we know about so far, there probably isn't a MOBA-like progression system. It was just early speculation based on limited information.

I do agree the emphasis on the Art of Battle system might suggest a duel mode is likely.

And yeah, like I said in the OP, I'd still love if For Honor could at least develop a dedicated competitive community, even if that didn't necessarily translate into an actual e-sport. Though you're right, this coming from Ubisoft could really help.

Makeshyft_Man
06-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Can it be an esport? Absolutely.

However, I must add a few caveats.

If we look at the current popular esports we can see that one of the requirements is it must have (1) a deep meta, (2) a focus on both individual and team-oriented gameplay, and (3) an exciting pace.

So let's hit these up and see how For Honor stands up so far. (I am aware this is pre-Alpha)

On the topic of meta, I think this is where For Honor really needs to prove itself. The combat mechanics seem solid. I'd like to see more about how 2v2 and "target trading" work, as well as the effects of different weapon/armor/perk set-ups. There needs to be solid and interesting player choices and roles that are necessary to fulfilling the win prerequisites. In addition, I'd like to hear or see more about how the creeps will effect overall gameplay. (Creeps = AI units)

On the topic of teamwork, it greatly depends on the gameplay modes For Honor chooses to embrace. The map seemed a little big for capture points. I think having more defined "lanes" that players would end up running into each other on would help. As well as having creep pressure sway capture points that are neglected for too long.

On the subject of exciting pace, I'd say For Honor is pretty strong. It has a cinematic and action-oriented combat mystique that I was thoroughly entranced by.

So again: Is it worthy of Esports? It definitely has the potential to be!

IamCrumbz
06-18-2015, 09:43 AM
I see some characteristic's of Moba in #Forhonor but In all, I wouldn't classify it as one. Moba's are typically Free to play MMO RPGs. #ForHonor Is more of a CMP, Hack/Slash RPG. >.>Now on the topic of E-sport's, I'd have to say Yes! #Forhonor is E-sport worthy. Mainly because of The ArtOfBattle weapon's mechanic. Im being totally honesty, I've never seen a more straight forward fight mechanic with a spot on realistic feel in my life. #IamTeamSamurai

TheS4dNesS
06-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Esports yes it should.

I'm thinking of Counter Strike for this game minus the AI or creeps.

TheS4dNesS
06-18-2015, 01:20 PM
The director says it already they will talk about campaigns and the likes in the future but for now its more like a shooter game with swords.

So for sure their will be E-sports in this game.

MathiasCB
06-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Would totally like to watch this hit the E-sports. Would enjoy both watching and trying to play it myself.
I see it as a potential e-sport as it demands that little extra from the player in terms of how the game is played.

Then a gain a question that pops up for me would be about the factions.
Obviously you've picked a side, most likely you'll stick to that side as you've grown into playing as a member of.. lets say the legion. What if two teams both side with the legion, should they just be put up against each other as Legion VS Legion or should one side be forced to switch faction?
Personally i wouldn't like a Legion VS Legion battle, they're on the same side, but i wouldn't like one team to be forced out of their preferred side.

I think we will see For Honor in E-sport, it will be a big game on twitch for sure which will contribute to it becoming an e-sport.

SpabRog
06-18-2015, 03:28 PM
I play Fighting Games competitively, and all I gotta say is that this game has a strong possibility to have a strong dedicated competitive scene. It's easy to learn from what it looks like and everything else seems like its mind games. I can see teamwork and strategy being really important in the long run. Can't wait to see the end result, praying on a beta date soon lol.

Fatal-Feit
06-18-2015, 04:03 PM
This game has hella potential!

Doctrinaire
06-18-2015, 04:26 PM
obviously...it's 4 on 4.

it would be even better if it was 8 on 8. :cool:

mau5eum
06-18-2015, 06:44 PM
As for e-sports: Similar games, such as Chivalry, Mount & Blade, War of the Roses, etc, all have/had a very dedicated competitive scene - especially Chivalry and Mount & Blade.

Those games also have dedicated server support, something I don't think For Honor will have.

LloydReign
06-18-2015, 08:41 PM
All we can do for the time being is hope for the best. If the game is great then the more likely I think it is to attract the proper individuals to make it a competitive scene.

sV DirtyMoose
06-18-2015, 11:15 PM
This game has the potential to be a serious eSports game. It's something we haven't seen before and looks like it will be very strategic, that is what people want. I don't believe this was or is the intent of the game, but that is why it will likely success as a eSport. I haven't seen enough of the game yet to really say what will happen but as long as it lives up to the hype it has, it will be a massive hit in eSports! I am looking forward to this game more and more each day!

fake_cser
01-20-2017, 02:26 PM
I think the days where the community alone can make esport out of a game are long gone.

Today you have a few developers that have found ways to make money and are investing that money back into the esport scene. Riot, Valve, to name few. Their active participation has a huge effect on the popularity of their games as esports. CS:GO went from pretty much dead to vibrant, when valve decided to push it (or should we say, when they found ways to make a load of money out of it). Same thing for Dota2, with the compedium stuff: they created a super profitable scheme and poured a fraction of the money into the largest esport prizepool ever. LoL had riot backing its esport right from the start. Even id software (who traditionally never really cared, and would let the community drive the "esport" side of quake) now got it, and have more serious esport plans for Quake Champions with Bethesda backing.

So really the question of this discussion should be posed as: do the developers have plans for this game to be an esport title? If the answer is no, then the best case scenario is for this game to have an underground hardcore community, doing its thing out of passion. Is that necessarily a bad thing? No, people can have a hell of a time enjoying a game without necessarily needing a pro circuit. Does this qualify as e-sport? It did in 1999, but not today.

Unfortunately, a bit of support from devs is necessary even if we just look at the underground community. Quake has a somewhat spectator friendly mode (that works well for 1on1, not so well for team modes) and the ability to record a session of play and re-play it in game (slowing time, changing point of view, etc), which has been the bread and butter for player to increase their skill. Its hardcore community has been around for almost two decades now. Without these features, a competitive scene has really a hard time developing. Battlefield is a good example of that: a lot of potential for competitive game, but EA/Dice never cared enough to give players the basic tools.

What makes me happy is that, Ubisoft has been brave enough to invent a new genera with For Honor. That requires open mindedness that you don't often find in large productions. If they were open to that, they might be open to carry the torch a bit further, and support competitive play. For esport, I think they either planned for it, or they won't do it (it's a shift of mentality and big investment, not something you do with a patch). Anyways, time will tell.For now, let's enjoy this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5ocrge/the_rise_of_legends_dominion_tournament_details/

SOLID-FAISAL
01-20-2017, 06:55 PM
It would be great, just like the Gladiators & the arenas :D
interesting

e.Key
01-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Only if they introduce leaderboards and ranks. This will also boost the viewer count on twitch a lot.
If you do not have any ranks it's hard for people to find good player in twitch. Sometimes it's hard to figure out how good a person is if you have no indication of their skill level and as most people want to watch good players.

Lei_Date
01-21-2017, 08:19 PM
I look at cases like this an recall an dream of mine where an video game became an official game of the Olympics

Umngyr
01-22-2017, 11:00 PM
I could definitely see this becoming included in the E-sports scene, for several reasons.

1. Iconic (Iconicness? Iconity? whatever) It's got 3 of the most iconic and world renowned warrior cultures in its gameplay, that alone is going to be enough (and has been enough) to draw people in and make them interested. People are already getting invested in the factions (VALHALLAAAA!) and aside from pirates and ninjas (although we sort of have ninjas here too) this is probably one of the most discussed hypotethical battle scenarios ever.

2. Spectator friendly gameplay. If you can set up camera angles to capture the gameplay efficiently, you could have everything from beautiful duels to brutal brawls in this game. You would probably need the ability to track several players and situations at once in order to do this effectively, but it would definitely be a spectacle worth watching, and with proper commentating, slow playback, etc. functions, you could do some really nice stuff to support crowd watching.

3. High skill ceiling. This is a game where your skill is the determining factor, and where calculated gameplay, fast reactions, wits and tactics is at the forefront. This again makes it much more viewer friendly, especially for enthusiasts, as it's much easier to appreciate clever tricks and maneuvres, and it will be much easier to recognize these in fights.

4. Versatility and glory. Not only does the game have modes to suit any taste (1v1, 2v2, 4v4) but getting to the top of your game and claiming that sweet top of the ranks, is going to actually feel like you accomplished something under your own power. If you conquor the 1v1 arena, you'll know it's because you've got the skills to back it up, and you'll be able to take serious pride in that, which i think will cause people to strive harder for excellence.

All in all, i think that between the potential emotional investment, and the highly detailed, highly theatrical yet elegant playstyles that this game encourages, i could definitely see it as something that could make it in E-sports. Wishful thinking perhaps, but i'm certainly gonna keep an eye on any tournaments popping up for this after launch.

Eron_Xark
01-22-2017, 11:14 PM
I really hope The For Honor become a E-sport, first of all because of fight system, for first look it's maybe simple but it require a lot of player skills. I belive The For Honor will have championships an tournaments. And finale it will be honor be a part of some team or clan who really want to be a masters in this awesome game.

Reaper_Sykko
01-22-2017, 11:54 PM
yes

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-23-2017, 12:30 AM
I started this thread in Suggestions and Feedback, all in support leave comments there as well and keep this topic HOT!!

Jerkies
01-23-2017, 04:04 AM
I dont see it ever happening without a proper ranked mode. As it is now you play few games of 4vs4, some 1vs1s, unlock a few things, and have no sense of progression or skill.
Its unfortunate as this would be an amazing game to play competitively with ranked and play against similar skilled opponents, and it would be great for people to spectate that on twitch like they do with LoL,Dota, Hearthstone, CSgo, starcraft, Overwatch etc, basically any competitive game that people watch.

Hopefully we see something resembling a matchmaking system in the upcoming beta.There hasnt been any hint of a ranked or competitive mode yet, and its been empty on that front in the tests. Without a ladder to climb and truly compete, sadly i think this game will be d.o.a. in terms of esports.

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-23-2017, 07:57 AM
Its unfortunate as this would be an amazing game to play competitively with ranked and play against similar skilled opponents, and it would be great for people to spectate that on twitch like they do with LoL,Dota, Hearthstone, CSgo, starcraft, Overwatch etc, basically any competitive game that people watch.

Hopefully we see something resembling a matchmaking system in the upcoming beta.There hasnt been any hint of a ranked or competitive mode yet, and its been empty on that front in the tests. Without a ladder to climb and truly compete, sadly i think this game will be d.o.a. in terms of esports.
I'm sure they'll get it right and add a ranking system in the final build, this game can give Ubisoft some of the respect back that it's lost with some of its more recent titles. Executives at the company should definitely see this game as a potential cash cow and already have multiple DLC's and a sequel in the works http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1549859-For-Honor-as-an-E-SPORT-Forums
More discussion on the matter in the link above ^^

e.Key
01-23-2017, 08:46 AM
I'm sure they'll get it right and add a ranking system in the final build, this game can give Ubisoft some of the respect back that it's lost with some of its more recent titles. Executives at the company should definitely see this game as a potential cash cow and already have multiple DLC's and a sequel in the works http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1549859-For-Honor-as-an-E-SPORT-Forums
More discussion on the matter in the link above ^^
Sadly no, it won't be in the final build. Somewhere here in the forums Ubisoft said that they are thinking about the possibility of a ranks, but it's still on the table.
So they didn't even start working on it properly. This means there will be no ranked for quite some time.

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-26-2017, 01:50 AM
Once the game releases and people offer some constructive feedback to the devs, im sure well get an update a few months later. I feel like a rank system will be one of the first things on the table to implement in a future update.

mol7os
02-04-2017, 03:29 PM
I think this game can have a great e-Sports future, when Ubisoft will listen and invest to turn around and fix the most critical issue.

P2P

Combat Mechanics, Classes, are good and feels relatively balanced. The Playmodes and Maps are a good start but needs to be extend.

Reall biggest painpoint stated by most of all alpha/beta players is P2P which is also no base for any e-Sports/Ranking or Ladder concept.
In my opinion there is not alternative to give this game a great future, when Ubisoft wants to promote for honor and give them a future as a new MP brand.

I dont think the multiplayer will be changed that way ... so e-Sports future disussions are only wasting time cause its not realistic.

But I like this dream ... potential has "for honor". I am sure that P2P was not a decission taken by the developing team ....the rot starts at the top.

Morosecarrot
02-04-2017, 03:45 PM
I think it has a good shot if ubisoft puts money into the scene. There is already a tournament being set up in my hometown for March!

http://www.versusgameplay.com/choctaw-festival-of-gaming/ Link for the tourney

NPG_Opie
02-04-2017, 05:22 PM
In case you missed it, ranked play and tournaments have been officially announced!!!!

https://youtu.be/u_Bg8TXtm6Q

PacTheManlyMan
02-04-2017, 05:23 PM
I think this game can have a great e-Sports future, when Ubisoft will listen and invest to turn around and fix the most critical issue.

P2P

Combat Mechanics, Classes, are good and feels relatively balanced. The Playmodes and Maps are a good start but needs to be extend.

Reall biggest painpoint stated by most of all alpha/beta players is P2P which is also no base for any e-Sports/Ranking or Ladder concept.
In my opinion there is not alternative to give this game a great future, when Ubisoft wants to promote for honor and give them a future as a new MP brand.

I dont think the multiplayer will be changed that way ... so e-Sports future disussions are only wasting time cause its not realistic.

But I like this dream ... potential has "for honor". I am sure that P2P was not a decission taken by the developing team ....the rot starts at the top.

P2P would actually be ideal for esport if all the players are in the same location using the same high quality internet connection.
It;s not a determining factor except for the ladder, in which the best players won't be held back by anyhow.

Reaper_Sykko
02-04-2017, 06:06 PM
make it happen

Ikeru_Densetsu
02-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Dedicated servers are kinda a "must" if you wanna make tournaments tho...

XxKILLASEEDxX
02-05-2017, 06:44 AM
In case you missed it, ranked play and tournaments have been officially announced!!!!

https://youtu.be/u_Bg8TXtm6Q

OMG, i knew it, they have been planning this all along, at least the video made it seem that way. They obviously are sitting back smiling thinking of all the cool stuff they can add after browsing these forums listening to fans of the game to increase its market sales for years to come. And having everything be free every season similar to that of RB6 Siege, just genius Ubi. As I said before in another post, follow the ways of Rockstar with GTA V, every season there are awesome new things to spend all that money on you've accumulated, plus new game modes to make the game fresh all over again. This is great for the games replay value and enables it to still sell off the shelf at original market value year after year, so smart move Ubisoft! You can bet your arse Esports will follow, and I'll make my way to the top sure as my name is XxKILLASEEDxX, the Shoguns Decapitator!

XxKILLASEEDxX
02-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Well my fellow warriors, if there was any doubt about the future of this game as an Esport I think we can all agree, ITS COMING. The livestream from today was a huge step forward in marketing exactly that. ESL was written all over it my friends, so get your skills up and prepare to be the best!

mol7os
02-11-2017, 12:25 PM
The open Beta is "ongoing" and experience is not changing.

P2P is a mess.
I am sure that noone of developing team has really trust in this architecture.
The announced "different P2P" doesnt work and have game inpact.

- No penalties for disconnecting people.
- The lag when host will be changed. (or players join/leave)
- Missing Matchmaking Ranks based of Playerstatistics. (only based of any levels nothing to do with skill - P2W)
- Control "only possible on ded. Servers". (for penalties and fairness)

all things are missing and blows up dreams for e-sports = no future.