PDA

View Full Version : Balance

LOSTDRAFTEE
06-17-2015, 02:05 AM
From what I've seen in gameplay trailer game looks awesome. It ticks all the boxes with me but I have concerns about balance. I know it's waaaay too early to judge but it looks like highly competitive game with MOBA elements and any competitive game without good balance is mostly frustrating than anything else. For example, samurai appear to be faster than knights and usually in most melee focused games (as well as IRL) faster means better. For instance, if your character has faster attacks then your opponent has smaller time frame to react than you. That leads to situations when you loose fights to even equally skilled opponents. Usually MOBAs have large roster of characters that counter each other. Here we have three factions, so as it's obviously too early to talk about any specifics, just in general, how much you guys are going to focus on balancing the game? Will it going to be one of your primary concerns or not? And if not, will the game have some form of PvE like coop for example?

Nailor124
06-17-2015, 05:24 AM
From the trailer and gameplay it seems their is 3 factions yes but each faction is going to have various classes or loadouts. each faction here has 4 people in it all alittle different. Also faster doesnt always mean faster cause slower normally means stronger.

Sixty-nl
06-17-2015, 09:27 AM
i believe i saw an samurai run away when a knight showed up at B and then another samurai came in too fight him. so i assume from that, that you need to balance your team and work together so that you play on each other strengths and on the enemies weaknesses. It add more strategy to game. But that's how i saw it.

Serdones
06-17-2015, 09:34 AM
Great observations. I actually made the same MOBA comparison in a thread I posted on the For Honor subreddit.

What particular melee-focused games have you played in which faster meant better? My main experience is with Chivalry and the Souls games. In Chivalry, at least from what I saw, often better reach and damage resulted in the most consistent success. Generally, greatswords, zweihanders and weapons of that ilk tended to place highest on scoreboards. Admittedly, I never did any ranked play (there is ranked play, right? I think there is), so maybe those weapons are good at an entry level, but higher-tier players would be less susceptible to them. Still, the classes with heavier weapons also had better armor, so while possibly a faster class could dance around a big armored knight, they'd have much less room for mistakes. Maybe that same idea will apply here.

Sixty-nl
06-17-2015, 10:38 AM
In an interview with Twitch they where talking about a character like the Mountain (Game of Thrones), immediately i was thinking of that fight with Oberyn Martell. If they add an spear class in the game we could reenact that fight.

SnorriUlversson
06-17-2015, 11:19 AM
From what I've seen in gameplay trailer game looks awesome. It ticks all the boxes with me but I have concerns about balance. I know it's waaaay too early to judge but it looks like highly competitive game with MOBA elements and any competitive game without good balance is mostly frustrating than anything else. For example, samurai appear to be faster than knights and usually in most melee focused games (as well as IRL) faster means better. For instance, if your character has faster attacks then your opponent has smaller time frame to react than you. That leads to situations when you loose fights to even equally skilled opponents. Usually MOBAs have large roster of characters that counter each other. Here we have three factions, so as it's obviously too early to talk about any specifics, just in general, how much you guys are going to focus on balancing the game? Will it going to be one of your primary concerns or not? And if not, will the game have some form of PvE like coop for example?

Faster means Better. But faster means lots of light attacks, slower means one heavy attack being able to tear you apart...in a balanced environment these two extremes should pay back equally