PDA

View Full Version : Syndicate demo: First impressions

SixKeys
06-17-2015, 02:00 AM
I just got to play the ACS demo. I tried to keep in mind some things Defalt221 wanted to know about, I'll try to list as many as I can remember, plus other things of course.

Keep in mind I played on a PS4 when I'm only used to keyboard controls (how the hell do you console peeps play these games with a controller? So imprecise), so I had some trouble not sucking. :P Some gameplay problems may have been due to my own lack of coordination.

-The demo is alpha or pre-alpha footage so glitches and unfinished graphics are to be expected.

-White room loading screens are back

-Yes, people die if you run over them with carriages. Sometimes they move out of the way though.

-Free aim exists but it still doesn't change NPC behavior if you shoot them anywhere but the chest or head (aka you can't shoot them in the leg and make them fall).

-Jacob has Arno's animations in all but combat.

-The demo area was pretty small, Animus walls everywhere, the only objective was taking over a gang headquarters. No train gameplay.

-Carriages have a GPS trail similar to Watch Dogs.

-Eagle Vision no longer has a cooldown or restricted range. It stays activated until you turn it off. When you use it on enemies, in addition to the x-ray effect from AC4 and Unity, Eagle Vision now shows small icons on top of the enemies that I think signifies their archetype. Why that was necessary I don't know, feels like dumbing down.

-Rope launcher is....okay, I guess. It does take the fun out of parkour so I don't know why you would use it, apart from the mission practically forcing you to.

-I don't care about driving in games so the carriages do nothing for me. The funnest thing about them is being able to parkour on top of them, jumping from one roof to another. There is definitely traffic on the streets, you have to be careful about navigating through the other carriages. Hijacking carriages is pretty fun.

-In this demo at least, only one house could be entered (in the gang hideout). So they might have severely cut down on interiors.

-Didn't see an option to use the grappling hook on civilians.

-Apparently you can assassinate while hanging on a rope but I didn't try this.

-Crowd reacts if you point a gun at them, though mostly they just stand there staring at you instead of screaming and running away.

-I forgot to try sidejumping, will try again if I get the chance. Entering windows felt pretty smooth but then, I didn't have a problem with them in Unity either.

-I kept getting detected all the time for some reason, even when I was just minding my own business. Don't know if you're auto-notorious in the mission or what.

-Berserk darts are now called hallucinogenic darts. Not sure why they keep changing the name in every game when they all function the same way.

-Graphics are definitely worse than Unity. Not bad by any means, but they look more last-gen than current gen. Assassin_M and I both agreed that it was like the comparison between AC3's faces vs. Black Flag's. Not bad, just not as photorealistic as its predecessor.

-When you crouch (stealth mode), Jacob automatically puts his hood on and when you exit stealth, he switches to top hat again. That little animation is really nice.

-No more snap to cover. According to M cover assassinations exist, they're just more contextual. I wasn't able to enter into cover mode at all.

-Didn't see hidden blade combat but then I didn't really cycle through the weapon wheel. At least if you have a ranged weapon equipped and enter combat, Jacob automatically uses his fists. Don't know if it's different if you select hidden blade as main weapon.

-I couldn't find the human shield button. Never got the prompt either. This could just be due to my own suckiness though.

-I have to be honest: this is the first AC game where I actually think the animations are ugly. Legit ugly. Not the ones recycled from Arno, obviously, but the new combat ones. AC has always had, IMO, the best animations in video game history. The combat in Syndicate is responsive, but also cartoonishly fast. It doesn't have the same fluid realism as all the other titles.

-I just asked about hidden blade combat, and the dev said in the current demo there is no hidden blade combat, no word on the final game.

-No details on modern day.

--You CAN carry dead bodies.

I also played through a level of Chronicles: India and the dev said it was okay to talk about it, so I'll get into that later. Now my phone is running low on steam.

(See what I did there? Steam? No? I'll see myself out.)

Shahkulu101
06-17-2015, 02:06 AM
What were your general thoughts on the demo?

Did you enjoy it or were you left disappointed?

Altair1789
06-17-2015, 03:23 AM

10/10

-I just asked about hidden blade combat, and the dev said in the current demo there is no hidden blade combat, no word on the final game.

That means it won't be in the final game

-In this demo at least, only one house could be entered (in the gang hideout). So they might have severely cut down on interiors.

0/10

-Apparently you can assassinate while hanging on a rope but I didn't try this.

Can you swing though? (As suggested by the 4th leaked screenshot)

What was the sky like? Did you like the colors and lighting?

Namikaze_17
06-17-2015, 05:00 AM
Sounds decent.

VestigialLlama4
06-17-2015, 05:09 AM
Sounds exactly what I expected. Unsurprising, uninspired and lacklustre.

This is what happens when creators lose their nerve as they did with Rogue-Unity and now Syndicate. The cowardice comes through and the entire thing sinks.

RVSage
06-17-2015, 05:38 AM
Sounds exactly what I expected. Unsurprising, uninspired and lacklustre.

This is what happens when creators lose their nerve as they did with Rogue-Unity and now Syndicate. The cowardice comes through and the entire thing sinks.

How ironical..People cry if they don't show anything new in demos...If they do show new things lke train, carriage interactions.. you berate that too..calling it lackluster..The game has its core,, it will never change.. you always use hidden blade to assassinate.. When they make small changes here and there you guys say does not feel like Assassins Creed, when they don't.. call it "Unsurprising, uninspired and lacklustre."... Seriously guys.. If you are fan be a fan and encourage Ubi.. Yes Unity had a broken.. launch.. but it was a spectacular game (baring story) after patches.. They gave you a public apology... If you cant support them.. Atleast don't berate their work..There are passionate developers and fans for this series.. who don't deserve it

Big yaaay for this...
People at reddit too have given positive reviews.. Many said the graphics were same to marginally better in Victory.. Personally lack of co-op should be a huge performance boost

SixKeys
06-17-2015, 06:11 AM
I replayed the demo about 3-4 times (M managed 8) so I could test more stuff and ask questions. I got some more info that I think a lot of people would have been curious about.

-There WILL be ambient music in freeroam. Right now they're still trying to find the right balance between intrusive and unintrusive, but according to the game director it'll be there. The director couldn't say who was composing the soundtrack. There were a few moments with an operaic singer, reminiscent of AC2.

-No tombs. :( The director said he really likes the tombs personally but they couldn't fit them in this game. We might see more of them in the future though.

-You can enter train interiors.

-NO different seasons, unfortunately. There will be different weather types and day/night cycle is back. Day/night will change naturally during freeroam and not be tied to missions like in Unity. For the duration of missions the time of day will be locked down though.

-Interiors have been severely culled. The excuse was that the buildings were taller and this was a "different approach" but they didn't actually say why. My guess is that detailed interiors were a big contributor to the framerate problems in Unity and they want to avoid that.

-Jacob will not have his own set of animations. This really surprised me, I was sure the Arno animations were just a placeholder. The guy tried to explain that they're not doing it because they don't want to overhaul every single thing each year, which, I'm sorry, is a BS excuse. Haytham had his own animations and he wasn't even the protagonist, FFS. Even the developer kept accidentally saying Arno when talking about Jacob, lol.

-No hidden blade combat, confirmed.

-The customization will not be as deep and varied as Unity, sadly. They said that according to their data, players didn't take advantage of the customization options in Unity nearly as much as the devs had hoped, so this time they've cut back on the number of outfits. He wouldn't even say if we're back to pre-made outfit skins like in past games or if Unity's system of individual body part customization still exists.

-No disguise system.

-No notoriety.

-Crowd events will be in the game, but they want to "re-skin" them to be different and more varied than Unity's.

-M asked if the map will be littered with mission icons like usual or if we will be able to discover missions simply by exploring the world. They dodged the question during the Twitch stream event, but we asked again and nope, we can expect the same old hoovering up of icons to clear the map.

-Adaptive Mission Mechanic is supposedly back. In the demo you're given the objective to chase and kill Bloody Nora. If you don't catch her in time, she escapes and the objective changes to "track down Bloody Nora". I can't confirm this as when I played the mission, I just desynchronized when Nora escaped. :/

-I asked if we can expect Rift missions similar to Unity. The director just smiled cryptically and said he can't talk about that.

-The crowds in the demo were noticeably small compared to Unity, but they're apparently still working on it and the final game should have bigger crowds.

-You will be able to climb inside carriages to use as hiding spots although this wasn't possible in the demo. I did like that there are many different types of carriages in the game. Police drive prison carriages with barred windows, there are open carriages without roofs, shop carriages with advertisements plastered all over, doubledecker "buses" with benches on the roof etc.

-M came across an old-timey bicycle (with the big front wheel) and asked if it's driveable. Sadly, no, though the director said he would take the suggestion back to the team.

-Children are back. I saw some of them playing. I asked if we will interact with them in any way, like the kids in AC3, but the director wouldn't say. He did confirm we can't kill them, because apparently that question always comes up. :P

-Pickpocketing civilians wasn't possible in the demo, might be in the final game though.

-I didn't see an option to use the rope launcher to swing, but it might be possible. It cannot be used as a weapon, though, which is weird because Jacob uses it to choke people in the trailer.

All in all, I feel disappointed. So far the game feels exactly like I feared it would. Heavy emphasis on action, speed and combat and less on stealth, social or otherwise. So many things feel like a kneejerk reaction to Unity's reception. If some people felt Unity was playing it safe, Syndicate plays it even safer. The number of interiors is severely reduced, animations recycled, crowds are smaller, everything is about speed and action. Disguise skill is gone - not improved, not revamped, just gone. Multiplayer of any kind, gone. Customization reduced. I even heard recycled lines of NPC dialogue from Unity.

I hate to say this because I know the devs are working hard, and I really want to like this game, but right now I'm just not feeling any passion behind it. Everything feels toned down from Unity, just because that game was badly received. It doesn't feel like the devs took the feedback and tried to improve what they had, they seem to have gone into full-on "delete ****ing everything" panic mode. Everything feels safe, the same way Rogue did. It's not just sticking to what they know how to do well and focusing on that, like Black Flag did. It's almost like the devs have lost confidence even in the things they did well before. There's a sense of timidity, of being afraid to take any kind of risks. That's what I'm disappointed about.

I hope the devs are just holding back the biggest reveals and surprises to downplay the hype. So far I'm not really feeling this game though, and that makes me sad.

VestigialLlama4
06-17-2015, 06:15 AM
How ironical..People cry if they don't show anything new in demos...If they do show new things lke train, carriage interactions.. you berate that too..calling it lackluster..

As they say in French, "Astonish me", I am not astonished.

All I see is a storybook London with Gangs imported from New York, debatable accents, sexism and work-by-committee a.ka. brash, arrogant, dudebro male hero.

The game has its core,, it will never change.. you always use hidden blade to assassinate.. When they make small changes here and there you guys say does not feel like Assassins Creed, when they don't.. call it "Unsurprising, uninspired and lacklustre."... Seriously guys.. If you are fan be a fan and encourage Ubi.

I encourage Ubisoft all the time by telling them to ignore fans, do a setting and story that developers feel passionate about. Don't do fan settings like French Revolution, Victorian London or Japan/China next year. Or at least don't do it without thinking deeply about how the setting can fit in the overall lore, metaphor and theme.Nobody asked them to make AC1, nobody told them to go to the Renaissance, nobody told them to go to Colonial America or the Golden Age of Piracy, those are the games that matter.

Last year, you had ROGUE (Playable Templar-FanRequest), Unity (Return-To-Eurotourism, Ezio-Clone fan-request) and now Victorian London (a.k.a. the GONY game they should have made instead of making Rogue).

...but it was a spectacular game (baring story)...

A game cannot be spectacular if it has a bad story. Simple as that.

If you cant support them.. Atleast don't berate their work..There are passionate developers and fans for this series.. who don't deserve it

How much are they charging for their products? Hmmm....if you can't tolerate being heckled, you shouldn't do stand-up, if you can't tolerate criticism, you shouldn't work in a creative field (or live for that matter), and if you can't take insults for a bad product, then you shouldn't sell anything.

I replayed the demo about 3-4 times (M managed 8) so I could test more stuff and ask questions. I got some more info that I think a lot of people would have been curious about.

Great job by the way, and thanks for this.

-No tombs. :( The director said he really likes the tombs personally but they couldn't fit them in this game. We might see more of them in the future though.

Funny, London has a ton of hidden potential.

-NO different seasons, unfortunately. There will be different weather types and day/night cycle is back. Day/night will change naturally during freeroam and not be tied to missions like in Unity. For the duration of missions the time of day will be locked down though.

So we are going to have London, grayest city in Europe in the orange burnish we see in the trailer? Okay.

-No notoriety.

So "notoriety" doesn't apply in a criminal setting and a criminal protagonist? This is GTA without the Police then.

-I asked if we can expect Rift missions similar to Unity. The director just smiled cryptically and said he can't talk about that.

Well it was the one part of UNITY everybody unanimously liked.

-You will be able to climb inside carriages to use as hiding spots although this wasn't possible in the demo. I did like that there are many different types of carriages in the game. Police drive prison carriages with barred windows, there are open carriages without roofs, shop carriages with advertisements plastered all over, doubledecker "buses" with benches on the roof etc.

The doubledeckers were called Omnibus, the system was invented in Paris and then copied across Europe, the Bus that we know today derives from this carriage. And yeah people used to customize and fetishize carriages in that time. So that's good. It was like cars, a status symbol.

It's almost like the devs have lost confidence even in the things they did well before. There's a sense of timidity, of being afraid to take any kind of risks. That's what I'm disappointed about.

That was visible with UNITY too. UNITY was intended to be the empty, dumb product that would allow them to effortlessly churn out annual titles around Arno, but then that game did not do what it was intended to do.

My feeling is that originally VICTORY was going to be a completely different kind of game and that it has been nerfed into SYNDICATE to work as a quick mea culpa.

Moultonborough
06-17-2015, 06:29 AM
Hmm.... personally I liked what we saw. Does it sound like the best AC game no not really. I wonder however if the "loading" white screen means that the "Templar Confessions" are back in the white room as well. If the game play demo is anything I would say no but could be wrong. I'm sure I will thing of something later to ask but great job getting this much info. :)

RVSage
06-17-2015, 06:37 AM
How much are they charging for their products? Hmmm....if you can't tolerate being heckled, you shouldn't do stand-up, if you can't tolerate criticism, you shouldn't work in a creative field (or live for that matter), and if you can't take insults for a bad product, then you shouldn't sell anything.

Well they have been insulted... more than a number of times... For a bad launch product i.e Unity... Well let me ask you this.. If you fail an exam .. its okay to be bullied by others , for a while.. But you put all your hard work to pass the next test..But meanwhile should people berate you for failing in the past ? or encourage you to succeed in the present??.. That is what we call the "second chance" and everyone has different expectations...but everyone deserves a second chance.. They have shown signs of coming back so far.. So why don't you encourage to pass a test, rather than bully using the past??? Does that sound hard? Does that sound unreasonable?

Derp43
06-17-2015, 06:39 AM
How ironical..People cry if they don't show anything new in demos...If they do show new things lke train, carriage interactions.. you berate that too..calling it lackluster..The game has its core,, it will never change.. you always use hidden blade to assassinate.. When they make small changes here and there you guys say does not feel like Assassins Creed, when they don't.. call it "Unsurprising, uninspired and lacklustre."... Seriously guys.. If you are fan be a fan and encourage Ubi.. Yes Unity had a broken.. launch.. but it was a spectacular game (baring story) after patches.. They gave you a public apology... If you cant support them.. Atleast don't berate their work..There are passionate developers and fans for this series.. who don't deserve it

VestigialLlama has lost all credibility in my eyes ever since he called Rogue a "racist fantasy".

RVSage
06-17-2015, 06:53 AM
-Interiors have been severely culled. The excuse was that the buildings were taller and this was a "different approach" but they didn't actually say why. My guess is that detailed interiors were a big contributor to the framerate problems in Unity and they want to avoid that.

I have a question don't train stations count as interiors??? If i am able enter trains free well and good.. Similarly If i am able enter buildings i need to enter well and good... I just dont want them cull all interiors and go back to ACIII, AC IV style automated building walkthrough

Thanks a lot for all the info.. on ACS :D

Can you share info on Chronicles: India???

dimbismp
06-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the info sixkeys!
I am afraid that our worst fears are becoming a reality...WTF ubi?You take the right direction with ACU but you make a not great execution.Ok things like this happen.
But instead of trying to improve the bad things and keep the good,or at least try something completely fresh(well annualization),you basically create a severely nerfed version of ACU.
This is it guys,we can say it now:ACS IS THE 2015 ACRo!!
The game still has a chance to impress though,if it is stable and if it has a great story,but i am afraid that ACS may be he last nail on the coffin...Damn,the gameplay direction of ACU was so good....

VestigialLlama4
06-17-2015, 09:41 AM
Well they have been insulted... more than a number of times... For a bad launch product i.e Unity... Well let me ask you this.. If you fail an exam .. its okay to be bullied by others , for a while.. But you put all your hard work to pass the next test..But meanwhile should people berate you for failing in the past ? or encourage you to succeed in the present??.. That is what we call the "second chance" and everyone has different expectations...but everyone deserves a second chance.. They have shown signs of coming back so far.. So why don't you encourage to pass a test, rather than bully using the past??? Does that sound hard? Does that sound unreasonable?

How can making fun of a major video game corporation be anything like bullying? Ubisoft is not some small-time independent company, they are a multi-national corporation who got tax breaks from the city of Montreal. These people technically speaking cannot be bullied at all. As for "Failing in the past", I have defended titles like AC3 because even if it is flawed its the right kind of flawed, the flaws that come from trying to do something new.

That is the kind of student and failures I like to support, the ones who actually try to do something new even if it didn't pay off. I have no respect for a cash grab that didn't fulfill its basic function, which even with all its flaws is nothing but a sexist, insulting trite game.

VestigialLlama has lost all credibility in my eyes ever since he called Rogue a "racist fantasy".

Please stick to the topic. Do not try and divert the issue here with ad-hominem attacks.

VestigialLlama4
06-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the info sixkeys!
I am afraid that our worst fears are becoming a reality...WTF ubi?You take the right direction with ACU but you make a not great execution.Ok things like this happen.
But instead of trying to improve the bad things and keep the good,or at least try something completely fresh(well annualization),you basically create a severely nerfed version of ACU.

That has always been Ubisoft's approach with Assassin's Creed. AC1 didn't do too well, okay we'll try something different in AC2. Then since AC3 they have been in knee-jerk mode. AC3 was too historical, not Assassin-y enough, so UNITY is the complete opposite of that. AC3 was not popular among whiteboys, okay from now all non-white are relegated to DLC, Novels and Side-Games while white dudes are main protagonists. Okay people complained about Elise not being playable, fine we have 25% non-male section of the game.

I have always said that they have always responded to negative reaction the way dogs do in Pavlov's behavioral experiments. The slightest negative stimulus and they move the other direction.

So why is this such a big surprise?

dimbismp
06-17-2015, 10:38 AM
That has always been Ubisoft's approach with Assassin's Creed. AC1 didn't do too well, okay we'll try something different in AC2. Then since AC3 they have been in knee-jerk mode. AC3 was too historical, not Assassin-y enough, so UNITY is the complete opposite of that. AC3 was not popular among whiteboys, okay from now all non-white are relegated to DLC, Novels and Side-Games while white dudes are main protagonists. Okay people complained about Elise not being playable, fine we have 25% non-male section of the game.

I have always said that they have always responded to negative reaction the way dogs do in Pavlov's behavioral experiments. The slightest negative stimulus and they move the other direction.

So why is this such a big surprise?
Not exactly.ACU may have had a not so great execution,but at least the direction they took was something the fans have been asking for for years.They overhauled everything and tried to create something fresh.They could have created another game based on AC3/AC4,but decided to risk it.
With ACS,all i see is complete BS.I recall everyone being enthusiastic about the new team trying to give new,fresh ideas,but all i can see is a copy-paste from the previous games and playing it really safe.In fact it is a bad copy-paste:
-After the right decision to make combat hard in ACU,they returned to one man army.Other games like ACB and AC3 were like that,but they at least had completely badass animations.On the other hand,ACS combat seems buggy,unreal,really fast,skipping frames etc
-Similarly,after the right decision to make the franchise more stealthy(AC4 and especially ACU),they seem to have moved back to the action oriented times of AC3.
-The rope launcher may be helpful sometimes,but it will mostly make the parkour useless
-Finally,the biggest gripe is that the game feels like a poor man's ACU:
1)No interiors
2)No customisation
3)Less crowd interaction
4)Same animations!
WTF?

The only new thing that the game seems to offer is the vehicles,which aren't exactly new.Plus,most people who have tried it,don't seem impressed.The only innovative thing is the ability to fight/move on the roofs of carriages and trains.

All in all,i am disappointed by the ACS direction.We were hoping for more innovations,or maybe at least a game that feels like an improvement of ACU,but instead we have gotten an inferior version(it seems at least).I mean,give someone both ACS and ACU and tell him to find out which is the sequel.I bet that most people would point to ACU.

I will get the game,but this will be Ubi's last chance.If,and this is a big IF,the story is great,then the game may feel a success to me.

As for the Connor comment,you are ignorant if you believe that people didn't like him because he wasn't white.Altair wasn't white and people liked him,Adewale was black and people liked him.Guess what?Arno was white and people didn't like him!How can this happen?

dimbismp
06-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Another thing that i want to add,is that i wouldn't be surprised if they announce that blackboxes,heists and generally these types of open missions,won't make a return.Way let's all hooray for more assassinations like Haytham's and Lee's!

who-can-i-be
06-17-2015, 10:51 AM

-Jacob will not have his own set of animations. This really surprised me, I was sure the Arno animations were just a placeholder. The guy tried to explain that they're not doing it because they don't want to overhaul every single thing each year, which, I'm sorry, is a BS excuse. Haytham had his own animations and he wasn't even the protagonist, FFS. Even the developer kept accidentally saying Arno when talking about Jacob, lol.

-The customization will not be as deep and varied as Unity, sadly. They said that according to their data, players didn't take advantage of the customization options in Unity nearly as much as the devs had hoped, so this time they've cut back on the number of outfits. He wouldn't even say if we're back to pre-made outfit skins like in past games or if Unity's system of individual body part customization still exists.

-M asked if the map will be littered with mission icons like usual or if we will be able to discover missions simply by exploring the world. They dodged the question during the Twitch stream event, but we asked again and nope, we can expect the same old hoovering up of icons to clear the map.

-Adaptive Mission Mechanic is supposedly back. In the demo you're given the objective to chase and kill Bloody Nora. If you don't catch her in time, she escapes and the objective changes to "track down Bloody Nora". I can't confirm this as when I played the mission, I just desynchronized when Nora escaped. :/

Are you kidding me Ubi? I wasn't going to buy this, but I thought this would be the AC4 to Unity's AC3, taking what worked and turning it into something amazing. But this? This is ridiculous. They're just rushing this out the door to meet the yearly quota aren't they? Again.

The lack of animations? Lazy. The lack of customization? Lazy, don't let them fool you - customization was a huge part of ACU. The map being the same cluttered mess it's always been? A sign that the yearly cycle doesn't work - they can't take criticism into account - either that or the game's ridiculously short (like ACRo) and this is them padding out its playtime.

And AMM isn't going to be back. And if it is, it'll show up for a mission per sequence or something.

Bring on AC Japan/ 2016. Maybe that'll be better to hear about.

VestigialLlama4
06-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Not exactly.ACU may have had a not so great execution,but at least the direction they took was something the fans have been asking for for years.They overhauled everything and tried to create something fresh.They could have created another game based on AC3/AC4,but decided to risk it.

What is risky about going back to AC2-style historical tourism only without the actual immersion in history, setting and period. AC3 was the risky title, going for all natural environments, moving away from architectural-fetishism, Black Flag was also bold in offering a parody of pirate cliches while being a great pirate game. Aesthetically it was more risky than UNITY.

With ACS,all i see is complete BS.I recall everyone being enthusiastic about the new team trying to give new,fresh ideas,but all i can see is a copy-paste from the previous games and playing it really safe.

I would agree, except UNITY was playing it safe (I cannot fathom why people deny this basic, demonstrable, fact). Syndicate is even safer than that. So again, I fail to see why anyone should be surprised. Syndicate's main purpose is to show that Ubisoft can do a competent product launch that's all.

All in all,i am disappointed by the ACS direction.We were hoping for more innovations,or maybe at least a game that feels like an improvement of ACU,but instead we have gotten an inferior version(it seems at least).I mean,give someone both ACS and ACU and tell him to find out which is the sequel.I bet that most people would point to ACU.

Well at least in London, the accents won't stand out so much.

I will get the game,but this will be Ubi's last chance.If,and this is a big IF,the story is great,then the game may feel a success to me.

To me I think Victorian London is a nonsense setting for an AC game unlike Revolutionary Paris. But since UNITY made a hash of a brilliant setting, perhaps Syndicate can succeed with a dry setting by introducing their fiction. The game essentially imports Gangs of New York to Victorian London, which is childish and hare-brained but far less so than UNITY.

As for the Connor comment,you are ignorant if you believe that people didn't like him because he wasn't white.

Altair had one major game, had a sort-of sequel which he shared with Ezio, and forgettable titles in DS and PSP. So not a good example. Adewale is DLC only. So again proved my point. After Connor in AC3, almost every non-white character is delegated to background lore and side-missions, even if the whiteboys hated Connor for aesthetic reasons, the lessons learned by Ubisoft is precisely that Connor's story, "lacks the balance to tell the true story of America."

Again, I don't want to divert of topic, but the point is AC3 was the last truly innovative major game of the Franchise and all the games that come after have been sitting on its assets and achievements. Until Ubisoft recaptures the same spirit of adventure, ambition and innovation AC will die out and you will have forgettable titles. Ubisoft need to break away the way AC3 broke from AC2 and AC2 from AC1. UNITY did no such thing and suffered.

Zafar1981
06-17-2015, 12:21 PM
First of all I want to thanks Ubi$oft to give me a chance for playing ACS demo at Central shopping plaza, Broadway Sydney. This is my first time ever to play a game demo in an event. Thanks for this opportunity.

I personally didn't enjoy the demo so I am really shaky about buying this game. Its only my personal opinion and I am not encouraging any one of you to make a decision based on my findings. I might buy this game but now based on the reviews and word of mouths not like earlier games where I eagerly waits for the release and buy the game in its first hour of release.

dimbismp
06-17-2015, 01:06 PM
What is risky about going back to AC2-style historical tourism only without the actual immersion in history, setting and period. AC3 was the risky title, going for all natural environments, moving away from architectural-fetishism, Black Flag was also bold in offering a parody of pirate cliches while being a great pirate game. Aesthetically it was more risky than UNITY.

I would agree, except UNITY was playing it safe (I cannot fathom why people deny this basic, demonstrable, fact). Syndicate is even safer than that. So again, I fail to see why anyone should be surprised. Syndicate's main purpose is to show that Ubisoft can do a competent product launch that's all.

Well at least in London, the accents won't stand out so much.

To me I think Victorian London is a nonsense setting for an AC game unlike Revolutionary Paris. But since UNITY made a hash of a brilliant setting, perhaps Syndicate can succeed with a dry setting by introducing their fiction. The game essentially imports Gangs of New York to Victorian London, which is childish and hare-brained but far less so than UNITY.

Altair had one major game, had a sort-of sequel which he shared with Ezio, and forgettable titles in DS and PSP. So not a good example. Adewale is DLC only. So again proved my point. After Connor in AC3, almost every non-white character is delegated to background lore and side-missions, even if the whiteboys hated Connor for aesthetic reasons, the lessons learned by Ubisoft is precisely that Connor's story, "lacks the balance to tell the true story of America."

Again, I don't want to divert of topic, but the point is AC3 was the last truly innovative major game of the Franchise and all the games that come after have been sitting on its assets and achievements. Until Ubisoft recaptures the same spirit of adventure, ambition and innovation AC will die out and you will have forgettable titles. Ubisoft need to break away the way AC3 broke from AC2 and AC2 from AC1. UNITY did no such thing and suffered.
I agree that AC3 maybe was the most ambitious game so far,but it still lacked on execution,for example the stealth which was the worst in the series IMO.
But ACU is also innovative,because it was the first game to actually offer many stealth approaches,to make combat hard again.Even the fact that they decided ro return to a massive urban environment after the success of AC4(and AC3 to some extent) was a risk.They also remade the engine and redevloped all 3 core pillars.Anyway,we are getting off topic here.

The thing that AC1-AC4 have and ACRo-ACU-ACS don't,is a decent MD.I mean those games gave you the illusion that you were reliving the life of that ancestor for a reason.Yeah,even AC4 gave me that feeling.Now,we are visiting the time period just because it is popular,not because there is a narrative reason(of course,that was the reason back then too,but they at leasr managed to hide it successfully).

The more i think about it,the more pessimistic i get about ACS.Most hardcore AC fans that have played the demo are sceptical at best...What were they thinking?Do they truly believe that a severely nerfed version of ACU with buggy combat and carriages would be the solution to their problems?Only the story can salvage the situation now

Sorrosyss
06-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Aw, Six. You and I are usually on the same wave length so I'm saddened to hear you have been disappointed by the demo. Can't say I am surprised though.

I suppose the first obvious casualty was the omission of multiplayer. Seems a lot of concessions and corner cutting is being made to rush this to market (again).

The re-use of npc dialogue does not surprise me. When I replayed Unity recently it dawned on me that they probably recorded for both games at once. It finally makes sense why so many different english accents were in Paris. Sigh.

The combat animations are truly dreadful. This is what I don't understand, why change things that did not need changing? Unity's animations and combat were not brilliant, but they worked fine. What we are getting looks far, far worse currently.

I understand the reduction in the crowds and interiors. Honestly Unity had too many people around for my taste, they constantly got in the way - so I welcome smaller crowds. The interiors were not really used that well either. Most times you would run up three flights of stairs to lockpick a door for a chest. So won't miss them either. But this series of other changes worries me a great deal.

From my perspective, Unity's largest failing was the story. All they really needed to focus on for Syndicate was that in my opinion. We may well get the better story, but now everything else, mechanically will be broken and ugly.

There's problem solving, and there is iteration. I think Ubi needs to try and distinct out what the major issues actually are. I don't think speeding up the combat, adding a Batman grapple hook, or GTA Carriage riding will amount to much if the core of the game has changed so markedly.

They did state yesterday about the modern day storyline having new characters, so that's my saving hope for now. But everything else worries me considerably - especially the low attention being given to Evie. (Seriously, she should have been in the cinematic, it's indefensible.)

Defalt221
06-17-2015, 01:25 PM
I just got to play the ACS demo. I tried to keep in mind some things Defalt221 wanted to know about, I'll try to list as many as I can remember, plus other things of course.

Thanks.

Keep in mind I played on a PS4 when I'm only used to keyboard controls (how the hell do you console peeps play these games with a controller? So imprecise), so I had some trouble not sucking. :P Some gameplay problems may have been due to my own lack of coordination.

Yeah. I play mostly on KB and M. I also own a PS4 but controls are harder to me with that..

-The demo is alpha or pre-alpha footage so glitches and unfinished graphics are to be expected.

Understandable.

Yes!!!!

-Yes, people die if you run over them with carriages. Sometimes they move out of the way though.

Why was I expecting this?

-Free aim exists but it still doesn't change NPC behavior if you shoot them anywhere but the chest or head (aka you can't shoot them in the leg and make them fall).

Ubisoft, add locational damage please!

-Jacob has Arno's animations in all but combat.

Is it me or does the combat look cartoony...

-The demo area was pretty small, Animus walls everywhere, the only objective was taking over a gang headquarters. No train gameplay.

So it ws the earlier demo? I expected the E3 demo area...

-Carriages have a GPS trail similar to Watch Dogs.

IMO they should remove it. Then we'll be compelled to learn the city streets of London. Which is=immersion.

-Eagle Vision no longer has a cooldown or restricted range. It stays activated until you turn it off. When you use it on enemies, in addition to the x-ray effect from AC4 and Unity, Eagle Vision now shows small icons on top of the enemies that I think signifies their archetype. Why that was necessary I don't know, feels like dumbing down.

Looks like they read some feedbacks.

-Rope launcher is....okay, I guess. It does take the fun out of parkour so I don't know why you would use it, apart from the mission practically forcing you to.

Yeah. That's worrying me.

-I don't care about driving in games so the carriages do nothing for me. The funnest thing about them is being able to parkour on top of them, jumping from one roof to another. There is definitely traffic on the streets, you have to be careful about navigating through the other carriages. Hijacking carriages is pretty fun.

The traffic system is cool. No open world games do that. Esp not GTA.

I think that was intentional to make the demo load more. Hence the small area.

Sighhs... Guess they're not aiming for creative uses of in-game mechanics.

-Crowd reacts if you point a gun at them, though mostly they just stand there staring at you instead of screaming and running away.

AI stripped straight from Unity. With lower crowd densities.

-I forgot to try sidejumping, will try again if I get the chance. Entering windows felt pretty smooth but then, I didn't have a problem with them in Unity either.

It's okay. I didn't expect anyone to remember all that list..

-I kept getting detected all the time for some reason, even when I was just minding my own business. Don't know if you're auto-notorious in the mission or what.

Meaning: Gangs dn't like anyone with a hat and an assassin insignia.

-Berserk darts are now called hallucinogenic darts. Not sure why they keep changing the name in every game when they all function the same way.

They do this to make it look like they're adding a lot of new things to the game.

-Graphics are definitely worse than Unity. Not bad by any means, but they look more last-gen than current gen. Assassin_M and I both agreed that it was like the comparison between AC3's faces vs. Black Flag's. Not bad, just not as photorealistic as its predecessor.

I KNEW IT !! They had to downgrade to make the game smoother.

-When you crouch (stealth mode), Jacob automatically puts his hood on and when you exit stealth, he switches to top hat again. That little animation is really nice.

At least that's nice to see...

-No more snap to cover. According to M cover assassinations exist, they're just more contextual. I wasn't able to enter into cover mode at all.

So, does it feel incomplete? Or smooth? To me, it sounds rough since you can't wall stick.

-Didn't see hidden blade combat but then I didn't really cycle through the weapon wheel. At least if you have a ranged weapon equipped and enter combat, Jacob automatically uses his fists. Don't know if it's different if you select hidden blade as main weapon.

Okay. I just hope the wapon wheel is present (and it slows time)

-I couldn't find the human shield button. Never got the prompt either. This could just be due to my own suckiness though.

They would have told you if Human Shield is present. Since they didn't (but took note that you wanted it and will discus it during further development), it means HS is gone. HS idea was nice though.

-I have to be honest: this is the first AC game where I actually think the animations are ugly. Legit ugly. Not the ones recycled from Arno, obviously, but the new combat ones. AC has always had, IMO, the best animations in video game history. The combat in Syndicate is responsive, but also cartoonishly fast. It doesn't have the same fluid realism as all the other titles.

I agree 100%. Animations made AC 1 so iconic. Especially the climbing. Now the combat animations remind me of how they fight in Tin Tin (animation).

Guess that mechanic will never return. Apparently.

-No details on modern day.

Something's telling me that MD will never be as expansive as AC 2 or AC3.

--You CAN carry dead bodies.

YES!!!

TO_M
06-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Welp, your thoughts confirm the suspicions I already had. Everything about this game somehow rubs me the wrong way, I kind of hope it crashes and burns entirely so Ubi might finally et their act together, stop the yearly releases and release a proper AC game.

Thanks for your thoughts SixKeys.

And Vestigial, take your usual Unity bashing to another thread please, this isn't the place for it.

Journey93
06-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Welp, your thoughts confirm the suspicions I already had. Everything about this game somehow rubs me the wrong way, I kind of hope it crashes and burns entirely so Ubi might finally et their act together, stop the yearly releases and release a proper AC game.

Thanks for your thoughts SixKeys.

And Vestigial, take your usual Unity bashing to another thread please, this isn't the place for it.

I love AC but I'm with you
If Syndicate has to fail so they finally take a break from AC then it should fail

m4r-k7
06-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks so much for this info.

Right now I feel damn insulted to be an AC fan. Your impressions seem exactly like mine that I got from the demo. Its literally been dumbed down from Unity which IMO was a good base to build upon. The fact that they have turned this franchise into a mediocre open world franchise is frankly disgusting, seeing as the Assassins Creed concept is so powerful. Imagine if they didn't annualise this and released one every 3 - 4 years. I damn right hope they make hardly any sales this year and I hope it gets an even lower metacritic score than Unity to show Ubisoft that their "as long as people buy it we will make it" philosophy will not last forever.

Xstantin
06-17-2015, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info, SixKeys
Well, most of the stuff was kinda expected after Unity.
I'm a bit surprised to see less customization although I usually stick to one outfit myself
If Adaptive Mechanic lets you bypass the carriage stuff, I'll be really happy though

dxsxhxcx
06-17-2015, 02:45 PM
They did state yesterday about the modern day storyline having new characters, so that's my saving hope for now.

How much do you want to bet that the MD will be the same as Unity's but with different characters (probably Templars, other Assassins or a whole different group)?

VestigialLlama4
06-17-2015, 03:11 PM
The more i think about it,the more pessimistic i get about ACS.Most hardcore AC fans that have played the demo are sceptical at best...What were they thinking?Do they truly believe that a severely nerfed version of ACU with buggy combat and carriages would be the solution to their problems?Only the story can salvage the situation now

I think at best SYNDICATE can aspire to REVELATIONS, provide a nice fancy city, interesting Parkour, a very light and stress-free story and good open-world action. I do rather like the factory environment (and it features children who were an important part of labour at the time) though factories are kind of the classic stealth location (I am thinking of the Steel Mill in Arkham City, which inspired the Fort Wolcott level in AC3).

The idea of twins as protagonists is fascinating too and I have been in favor of multiple protagonists in Open World for quite some time. But overall Syndicate is fairly arcade:
-- Gangs and crime was never a big deal in Victorian London. It was only a big deal in 19th Century New York. The fact that they had to invent and transport stuff shows that Victorian London is not a setting that the AC people cared for at all, which shows that its a poor choice that comes from fan requests rather than their convictions.
-- Having "no notoriety" defeats the purpose of having a criminal protaonist and Assassin. The real challenge would be to do social stealth in such a way that you could Ghost through the open world completely. But that's gone.
-- Don't care too much for the grappling hook. I mean sure Ezio had a Leonardo derived Hidden-Gun, but gunpowder and stuff was available in that era and it wasn't overpowered(at least in AC2). A grappling gun in the 19th Century beggars disbelief, its more steampunk than Historical Fiction and its plainly Ubisoft keeping up with the Rocksteadies. Keeping a grappling device ruins the pleasure of climbing the buildings by hand, the main raison d'etre of AC.

Sushiglutton
06-17-2015, 03:21 PM

Good question, horrible answer...

Xstantin
06-17-2015, 03:28 PM
-- Gangs and crime was never a big deal in Victorian London. It was only a big deal in 19th Century New York. The fact that they had to invent and transport stuff shows that Victorian London is not a setting that the AC people cared for at all, which shows that its a poor choice that comes from fan requests rather than their convictions.

You might have a point there, but they probably just wanted to make it somewhat different from popular Victorian-inspired stuff (I do think that gangs in Dishonored and the Order looked better though).

-- Having "no notoriety" defeats the purpose of having a criminal protaonist and Assassin. The real challenge would be to do social stealth in such a way that you could Ghost through the open world completely. But that's gone.

I guess it'll work the same way as it did with extremists in Unity?

Shahkulu101
06-17-2015, 03:37 PM
My heart hurts.

And it's not due to my consumption of copious amounts of bacon.

dimbismp
06-17-2015, 03:47 PM
My heart hurts.

And it's not due to my consumption of copious amounts of bacon.

I may be wrong,but it seems that they managed (because it needs effort to do so) to destroy the franchise with the greatest potential in videogame history.Well done Ubi

dxsxhxcx
06-17-2015, 03:54 PM
I may be wrong,but it seems that they managed (because it needs effort to do so) to destroy the franchise with the greatest potential in videogame history.Well done Ubi

this franchise was doomed from the day the yearly releases began and they streched out the story to accomodate this new business model...

VoXngola
06-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Isn't this a good thing?

In my opinion, Ubisoft desperately needs a HARD wake up call. Of course, I don't want to dictate what everyone should do or not. It's your money, your opinion. But still, I would like you to think about what SixKeys( thank you!!) told us today and think if you really want to buy this game or not.

I for one will be skipping this year. I believe that if many follow suit, Ubisoft will one day understand.

That felt weird typing it out..ah, I forgot one more thing.

Ubi be change!:mad:

dxsxhxcx
06-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Isn't this a good thing?

In my opinion, Ubisoft desperately needs a HARD wake up call. Of course, I don't want to dictate what everyone should do or not. It's your money, your opinion. But still, I would like you to read about what SixKeys( thank you!!) told us today and think if you really want to buy this game or not.

I for one will be skipping this year. I believe that if many follow suit, Ubisoft will one day understand.

That felt weird typing it out..ah, I forgot one more thing.

Ubi be change!:mad:

If ACU's fiasco wasn't enough to open their eyes I don't know what will be...

the idea of skipping a game might be hard at first, but when the time arrived and I couldn't afford a new computer to play Unity and Rogue I did just fine, it was easier than I thought it would be...

Hans684
06-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Meh, nothing special then.

Xstantin
06-17-2015, 04:12 PM
-There WILL be ambient music in freeroam. Right now they're still trying to find the right balance between intrusive and unintrusive, but according to the game director it'll be there. The director couldn't say who was composing the soundtrack. There were a few moments with an operaic singer, reminiscent of AC2.

Anyone else finds it funny? No ambient music for ACIII - people want it back - Black Flag has it, same for Unity and ACS. It's like it's gonna never end (I know Unity had some music here and there but anyway)

Matknapers18
06-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Something important that hasn't been touched on yet, and this is more or less a question for SixKeys - Are Ubisoft listening to your feedback?

This whole event is completely pointless if Ubisoft aren't receiving our feedback and acting upon it. Are Ubisoft employees actually asking you for your thoughts? Or are they just letting you play for half an hour and then leave. Are the employees giving you forms or surveys to fill in based on your experience with the game? I hope so. Isn't that the whole point of this event?

Cornik22
06-17-2015, 06:14 PM
White room

http://i57.tinypic.com/242iwxl.jpg

Stronghold menu

http://i57.tinypic.com/21dre9u.jpg

Same detection system from Unity

http://i59.tinypic.com/2pzb445.jpg

And one last thing. YES, maybe there is no multiplayer, customization, interiors, cover system, notoriety or good combat... but London is 30% bigger than Paris!!! And after all, isn't that the most important thing, the size? Hopefully there will be enough room for 400 or 500 chests :)

D.I.D.
06-17-2015, 06:21 PM

Jesus wept! IN LONDON. In the damn TEMPLE DISTRICT, packed with REAL TEMPLAR BUILDINGS. How much can I pay you to punch the creative director in the kidneys?

I'm seriously losing any faith that the people steering the show give a **** about history at all. The world-building teams clearly do, but my God, how they get let down by the design and story employees.

RVSage
06-17-2015, 06:25 PM
White room

http://i57.tinypic.com/242iwxl.jpg

Big yaaaayyyyyyyyyy .. Always wanted this

Defalt221
06-17-2015, 07:05 PM
You might have a point there, but they probably just wanted to make it somewhat different from popular Victorian-inspired stuff (I do think that gangs in Dishonored and the Order looked better though).

I guess it'll work the same way as it did with extremists in Unity?

Something about Syndicate portrays it as more lighthearted than Unity's bloody violence of headlessnesses.

I personally hope (+ wish) that Ubisoft reads these threads and fix them immediately and hope might just be rekindled.

RVSage
06-17-2015, 07:39 PM
@Sixkeys... Update on Assassins Creed Chronicles India?

GunnerGalactico
06-17-2015, 07:47 PM
I-Interiors have been severely culled. The excuse was that the buildings were taller and this was a "different approach" but they didn't actually say why. My guess is that detailed interiors were a big contributor to the framerate problems in Unity and they want to avoid that.

This, I don't have an issue with. If it improves the framerate in the game, then it's a good thing.

RVSage
06-17-2015, 07:50 PM
This, I don't have an issue with. If it improves the framerate in the game, then it's a good thing.

Interiors are not culled...They still exist...
http://www.twitch.tv/ubisoft/v/6257918

See here at 21:30.. Interiors stay...But more focused on main missions..

And also black box assassinations do stay

GunnerGalactico
06-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Interiors are not culled...They still exist...
http://www.twitch.tv/ubisoft/v/6257918

See here at 21:30.. Interiors stay...But more focused on main missions..

And also black box assassinations do stay

They've been reduced from what I hear.

Ignacio_796
06-17-2015, 08:12 PM
And one last thing. YES, maybe there is no multiplayer, customization, interiors, cover system, notoriety or good combat... but London is 30% bigger than Paris!!! And after all, isn't that the most important thing, the size? Hopefully there will be enough room for 400 or 500 chests :)

I have to disagree: The most important thing is the quality of the secondary missions/activities, the variety of these and the scenery, and how organic the city feels. Look at Unity's map: is huge and beautiful, but I ended up ignoring most part of Paris and gave up doing the 100% because doing those quest and getting all the collectibles was a chore. And I think that is the problem with Ubi overall, quantity > quality, which is really a shame considering how in every single game the art and design direction delivers a very good execution.

lothario-da-be
06-17-2015, 08:16 PM
I feel like crying. I used to be so excited for a new ac game. Now the only thing I want to do is smash my acu collector's edition into Yves Guillemot's face.

RVSage
06-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Loads of gameplay here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv-Tj_PR-mU

fighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51TFZFPZrNA

carriage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBwhd82gGs

Some parkour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6tyJYu3y18

The fighting looks better in this video than the e3 gameplay demo animation wise.... But it does feel easier

Sushiglutton
06-17-2015, 08:34 PM
I just don't understand how one of the biggest franchises/studios in the world could think it's ok to put out combat like this. It's just sad at this point :(. Where's the pride?

RVSage
06-17-2015, 08:39 PM
The fighting is easy..indeed.. from what it looks.. Hope they have not shown us everything...

m4r-k7
06-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Crappy combat aside, I will say the overall presentation of the game looks better than Unity - The graphics are more vibrant, they aren't as washed out as Unity and the UI is nicer looking. Also the parkour doesn't look as clunky as it did in Unity.

GunnerGalactico
06-17-2015, 08:41 PM
I just don't understand how one of the biggest franchises/studios in the world could think it's ok to put out combat like this. It's just sad at this point :(. Where's the pride?

The way Jacob glides towards enemies and attacks them looks comical. It scares me on what we might get in the finished game.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2015, 08:42 PM

Was that a Killstreak?

Really... :(

Xstantin
06-17-2015, 08:47 PM
That minimap is huge.
Also, yeah, killstreak - I thought brutes could break it in earlier games? How exciting

Sushiglutton
06-17-2015, 08:49 PM
This stun thing, where the enemies are just standing there hanging with there heads, is so silly. Also look at how passive the enemies are in general. And to think gang combat is one of the main features they are promoting. I mean seriously :nonchalance:.

Was that a Killstreak?

Oh wow I just noticed the counter at the bottom right.

RVSage
06-17-2015, 08:53 PM
This stun thing, where the enemies are just standing there hanging with there heads, is so silly. Also look at how passive the enemies are in general. And to think gang combat is one of the main features they are promoting. I mean seriously :nonchalance:.

Oh wow I just noticed the counter at the bottom right.

Simple Solution could be improve the AI aggro...or slow down the action from Jacob's side a bit...I dunno this feels like black flag.. Where I executed 10 people in like 7s.. In a streak

Should we do a detailed feedback using the above video for Ubi???

dimbismp
06-17-2015, 08:56 PM
Cannot agree more with you guys...The combat is hilarious..Animations are not even on PS2 level,enemies just stand there waiting to be punched and the finale is even more hilarious:if you watch closely,the enemies do not bleed at all during combat,but when they are knocked out/killed a huge unnatural amount of blood appears.
This atrocious combat is far from being AAA quality and represents everything wrong with the franchise.I want people who didn't like Unity's combat comment on this.Are they satisfied by this one man army glitchfest?

Damn,this is it,annualization ruined everything

TO_M
06-17-2015, 08:56 PM
]

UGH. That's the only word that comes to mind when watching this.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Namikaze_17
06-17-2015, 09:04 PM
Aside from the combat, everything else seems alright so I don't care.

RVSage
06-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Aside from the combat, everything else seems alright so I don't care.

True that not everything can be perfect... I guess we fans are so passionate.. we want everything to be perfect.. In the end we might start liking it once we play it

Farlander1991
06-17-2015, 09:22 PM
Was that a Killstreak?

There were no kill streaks there from what I've seen, when Jacob moved from one target to another to kill it, the target was already in the 'finishing move' state (like in Unity, if you put several targets into 'finishing move' state you can technically 'kill streak' too, though that's just for show as enemies would die anyway).

(also, counter is probably just another name for Unity's parry, which is technically a counter too especially if you time it right as you punch your opponent back if you do)

I don't really like how the ACS combat LOOKS, but I think people are too eager to draw bad conclusions.

Gin0r
06-17-2015, 09:22 PM
I wasn't particularly hyped for Syndicate to begin with and had pretty low expectations but even with that mindset I've gotta say I'm disappointed.
I guess this is it. Unless ACS gets really good reviews -- which it probably won't -- it'll be the first AC I don't buy.

Namikaze_17
06-17-2015, 09:23 PM
True that not everything can be perfect... I guess we fans are so passionate.. we want everything to be perfect.. In the end we might start liking it once we play it

Is passion why everyone is being so overdramatic?

Sure, everything is not perfect... but people are making some huge "conclusions" right now.

Sushiglutton
06-17-2015, 09:29 PM
(also, counter is probably just another name for Unity's parry, which is technically a counter too especially if you time it right as you punch your opponent back if you do)

By counter I meant the number next to the knife icon which counts up to x20

Farlander1991
06-17-2015, 09:34 PM
By counter I meant the number next to the knife icon which counts up to x20

Yeah, that's what I meant as well. Counter doesn't mean there will be counter-kills or stuff like that. Unity's 'parry' is pretty much a 'counter' (I guess the renaming in ACS is due to the fact that you can't really 'parry' in a fistfight)

harsab
06-17-2015, 09:54 PM
if we have an amazing story, fun game play & a GOOD MD...will all these small things matter? like interior? Animations? etc....

just think about it for a second. What makes AC so special & a flagship franchise is the whole concept of going back in time & how it ties in with the First civ.

After AC3 this has been very narrowed down. Maybe that was the slight downfall of AC?

Stop being so judgmental and think for a second.

What makes AC so special is the story.

VoXngola
06-17-2015, 10:26 PM
if we have an amazing story, fun game play & a GOOD MD...will all these small things matter? like interior? Animations? etc....

just think about it for a second. What makes AC so special & a flagship franchise is the whole concept of going back in time & how it ties in with the First civ.

After AC3 this has been very narrowed down. Maybe that was the slight downfall of AC?

Stop being so judgmental and think for a second.

What makes AC so special is the story.

You can only go so far. At some point, it's just too much. You could have said this a couple of years ago, but when Syndicate looks like "just another" one, and people don't feel hype, excitement or even interest, you know you've gone too far. The yearly releases are showing its side effects. Sure, we don't KNOW that it won't be good. For all we know, Syndicate could turn out to be one of the best AC games.

My point is that the critizing is justified. People need to be judgemental, now more than ever. Unity was a desaster on all levels, and people who are being judgemental in this very board are real fans. People who can critize something they deeply care for, because they want it to be better. And it is right this way.

Atleast, that's my take on it.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2015, 11:06 PM
First of all, thank you Sixkeys for giving us a very detailed description of the ACS demo and your thoughts on it as well as looking out for the community by remembering to implement certain tasks that another thread requested :)

And now, after reading your analysis, this.... is not a good sign at all.

If this is not a sign for Ubisoft to take a break, then I don't know what is.

harsab
06-17-2015, 11:07 PM
You can only go so far. At some point, it's just too much. You could have said this a couple of years ago, but when Syndicate looks like "just another" one, and people don't feel hype, excitement or even interest, you know you've gone too far. The yearly releases are showing its side effects. Sure, we don't KNOW that it won't be good. For all we know, Syndicate could turn out to be one of the best AC games.

My point is that the critizing is justified. People need to be judgemental, now more than ever. Unity was a desaster on all levels, and people who are being judgemental in this very board are real fans. People who can critize something they deeply care for, because they want it to be better. And it is right this way.

Atleast, that's my take on it.

I understand your concern but the game isn't even out yet. They're play testing & noting down feedback.

We can't truly judge till we have actually played the game. I personally think this is AC's last shot to be a respectful flagship franchise that stays true to its core pillars.

I Will always love & purchase AC but if this game has a limited amount of First civ stuff like Unity then i will be severely disappointed.

harsab
06-17-2015, 11:09 PM
I Feel like us not being hyped & dissapointed with what we've seen so far is a good sign.

Why? because the game now will have the big element of SURPRISE. We've been constantly over hyped previously for AC & not been fully satisfied with the finished product.

Maybe the opposite will occur this time.

Mr.Black24
06-17-2015, 11:40 PM
First of all, thank you Sixkeys for giving us a very detailed description of the ACS demo and your thoughts on it as well as looking out for the community by remembering to implement certain tasks that another thread requested :)

And now, after reading your analysis, this.... is not a good sign at all.

If this is not a sign for Ubisoft to take a break, then I don't know what is.Agreed. Like it looks ok, but hey, as long as the story is good and the modern day is not "we are us" kind of vib, I'm ok with it. Bug free too, we don't want another Unity mishap.

I was mostly disappointed with the fact that Hidden Blade combat and a bit sadden for the Armor tombs. We could have gotten an abandoned underground remains of an Assassin stronghold from the late 12th century, and have Jacob and Evie modify the aged but strong armor for the 19th century use. As for the Hidden Blade, I wanted them to go with AC1's route, where you need perfect timing and reaction time to counter enemies with the blade. Later, with XP, we could have bought the skills for not only dual hidden blades, but for combat too.

I mean they have all this talk for hidden weapons, but whats not more appropriate to use in a fight then the Hidden Blade itself? We seen how Altair does it in the old days, not hard to see Jacob and Evie dish it out the same way on Templars and hostile gangs as Altair did before them.

Subject J80
06-18-2015, 12:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluIGNfKsvk

ajl992015
06-18-2015, 12:26 AM
I think people are honestly going overboard with the criticism here. From what we have seen ubisoft are playing it a little safe but to be honest I would prefer that. After last year's issues with unity and although rogue had a great story i felt it's world was lacking, I want them to just focus on making an amazing game rather than focus on what they can change for the sake of changing. Unity's core mechanics were great so adding a few new elements in a great new location with improvements to existing mechanics is all good. What I want to know is if the story will be good, that is my biggest concern and in my opinion the ONLY problem in unity (although the littering of icons on the map was a little annoying too). here are two demos I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exdj9mKI-4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enpvxWO1z8o

If you go to the 5 minute mark in the second demo you can get a view of the entire of london and it looks AMAZING. The vibrant colours and the layout of the streets along with the rope launcher make me want to explore. I couldn't warm up towards paris. Also if you don't like the rope launcher then don't use it. One reason I'm excited for it is that one thing that annoyed me the most was when I'm trying to escape guards in unity and as I climb they keep repeatedly shooting me down, this fixes that problem.

Also a question for anyone that knows, will there be an option to keep the hood on or for there to be an outfit with the hoot always on? I'm not a fan of the hat I want to keep the hood.

frodrigues55
06-18-2015, 12:57 AM

That looks more polished than the video they presented on the conference - which makes their presentation even more confusing tbh.

A few personal notes:

- The hat looks really out of place during parkour, I can see that annoying the hell out of me. I don't understand the decision behind this, but I hope I can use the hood instead anytime.

- That flapping sound during the carriage chase was annoying. I'm thinking it bugged since it stook there for the cinematics.

- BTW, the whole chase was terrible. I suspect it might have something to do with they choosing what it looks like to be the worse carriage available, but still. It looked messy.

- The graphics are nowhere near as pretty as Unity's. And the whole town looks very AC3ish, which I suspect is a bold move on their part considering all the reactions back then.

- City also looked very empty, even abandoned at times. Like nobldy lives there. I understand, however, that they are still working on crowds and population. Will keep an eye on that.

- I can see the rope laucher is useful to keep on the highs even with the wide streets. However, I wonder how that will impact on the higher buildings which usually require you to find your way up.

- Animations look better, even the fighting ones. They still look fast but not as glitchy, I think.

- The ambient music gave me Jasper feelings. Not really sure it fits, but it's good to see it making a return. I agree with whoever said that Ubisoft's approach is very weird when it comes to this matter. Everyone and their mothers *****ed when AC3 came out, then the developers gladly announced it was back for AC4 only for it to go absent on Unity again.

- Still not excited. And I love pretty much all games so far.

- I do like, however, that they listened enough to stop with that companion app/initiates ideia - although we all screamed how bad that sounded from the second Unity was announced. Do we kmow anything about microtransactions so far?

SixKeys
06-18-2015, 01:02 AM
Hi guys, been real busy so I didn't get a chance to come back earlier.

I said I'd talk about Chronicles: India a bit. It plays very much like China, the only new addition I saw is smoke bombs. What I saw of the art style wasn't quite as unique and stylistic as in China. China had this nice watercolor aesthetic, India seems rather flavorless in comparison. Almost like they couldn't really decide what kind of art style would best represent India. I think Russia will look more interesting visually.

The most interesting thing about the demo was that the level took place in a First Civ temple. It was a lot like the Observatory in AC4, moving platforms and laser beams shooting out of the walls. All three Chronicles games are supposed to be connected storywise.

A couple more minor things I forgot to mention about Syndicate:

-At the end of the demo you got a summary of upgrades you unlocked for completing the mission (like an improved kukri blade), accompanied by a small picture of Henry Green and an XP bar. I was confused about those, so the director explained that Henry is the one rewarding you for the missions and the XP bar shows how many more points you need for the next reward. It seemed very Initiates-like to me, which makes me suspect that part was originally tied to the Initiates site but then slightly modified when the site turned out to be such a failure.

-Optional objectives are back. Because of course they are. -_- There was an optional objective to "free all the Rooks" and if you failed, the objective text turned red like in AC3.

-Like I said earlier, I never cot the cover system to work, but M assures me it basically works the same as in The Last of Us. When stealthing, you just move next to the wall and Jacob will put his hand against the wall while sneaking and be able to perform cover takedowns. It works in TLoU, but in AC I think it needs a clearer visual element to show you're in cover, like how Connor and Arno would lean against the wall.

frodrigues55
06-18-2015, 01:07 AM
A couple more minor-At the end of the demo you got a summary of upgrades you unlocked for completing the mission (like an improved kukri blade), accompanied by a small picture of Henry Green and an XP bar. I was confused about those, so the director explained that Henry is the one rewarding you for the missions and the XP bar shows how many more points you need for the next reward.

Ugh. What is wrong with them.

VoXngola
06-18-2015, 01:25 AM
-Optional objectives are back. Because of course they are. -_- There was an optional objective to "free all the Rooks" and if you failed, the objective text turned red like in AC3.

WHY:mad:

ACfan443
06-18-2015, 01:38 AM

Man, they dropped the ball with the city's art design, I appreciate the brighter colours but it looks so un-Victorian. If anything it bears a stronger resemblance to Unity's Paris but with a quick and dirty palette change (understandable since a lot of the assets are recycled). The earlier target screenshots and The Order 1886 better captured the look and feel of the period imo.

Also, 9:22 Dream of V̶e̶n̶i̶c̶e̶ London :D

m4r-k7
06-18-2015, 01:40 AM
Hmm I am very conflicted right now. The combat sucks and there are only like 4 different finishers animations for the fist fighting. However, apart from the combat the game is looking better everytime I watch someone play. I don't know if anyone who plays can confirm, but from the demo's from E3 the game looks like it is much less clunky than Unity is. For instance the parkour from rope launcher looks smooth and the general presentation of the game looks nicer. London doesn't have the washed out look that France has. Also, I don't know anything about the story but watching the opening cinematic of the gameplay demo again has me a bit happy due to the fact that Jacob actually has a sense of humour and the voice acting sounded decent.

I was angry initially but I am starting to take Syndicate for what it is - a safe and essentially dumbed down Unity. I am excited mainly because its London and the rope launcher is pretty cool, but of course it is more likely that this game will flop. I won't be buying this on release but I will buy it when it is reduced in price. Hopefully the story is good. I really want to see a darker and foggier London in a future demo. Also some of the ambient music is nice.

Derp43
06-18-2015, 03:34 AM

Ok, I can actually see why they put in the rope launcher now. Getting across those wide streets without it would be incredibly annoying.

Xstantin
06-18-2015, 03:45 AM
Hmm I am very conflicted right now. The combat sucks and there are only like 4 different finishers animations for the fist fighting. However, apart from the combat the game is looking better everytime I watch someone play.

I think that hands on preview posted earlier did a better job than E3 demo.

shobhit7777777
06-18-2015, 11:44 AM
It looks terrible

rob.davies2014
06-18-2015, 03:28 PM

Whilst I understand the need for the rope launcher for traversing wide streets, I don't like the way it works. The back end of it just seems to magically attach itself to the building you're on... It would be nice if there was a quick animation of Jacob/Evie sticking the back end into the roof.

Also, where does the line go once they reach the other side...? It just seems to disappear. It's all a bit immersion-breaking.

Also, zooming up the side of a building that fast just seems really silly. They could have made it a bit slower...

I've been hoping for a game in Victorian London for a long time but Syndicate isn't the game I was hoping for. I was expecting a dark and gloomy atmosphere, with plenty of fog and a protagonist to match. Not another 'brash' white man. It's just like another Ezio/Edward/Arno.

Journey93
06-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Man, they dropped the ball with the city's art design, I appreciate the brighter colours but it looks so un-Victorian. If anything it bears a stronger resemblance to Unity's Paris but with a quick and dirty palette change (understandable since a lot of the assets are recycled). The earlier target screenshots and The Order 1886 better captured the look and feel of the period imo.

Also, 9:22 Dream of V̶e̶n̶i̶c̶e̶ London :D

Agreed the artstyle is terrible I thought this was supposed to be set in Victorian London?
Way too shiny

And overall its just underwhelming, nothing new on the gameplay side, the story could be awesome but I'm not getting my hopes up
Not a fan of Jacob at all

dxsxhxcx
06-18-2015, 04:10 PM

Or whoever was playing the demo really suck at it or those roofs aren't parkour friendly at all...

THE_JOKE_KING33
06-18-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm going to be Mr. Unpopular here and say that the combat (in essence) is what I was hoping for.

Outside of some glitches, and janky animations (weird how Jacob almost teleports to enemies that are far from him), it's pretty much Shadow Of Mordor/Batman-esque with an AC feel.

Couldn't care less about interiors, TBH.

Very annoyed that optional objectives are back.

adkogz7
06-18-2015, 04:16 PM
Ubisoft have to change Jacob's "Arno" animations and bring new style of walking, running, parkour movements... There are still a lot of people who dislike Unity and its rough launch, so bringing back anything reminding of that title will be a bad idea, IMO!

Besides, they MUST change it. It's a new assassin, it should have his own signature movements...

...and also Arno's animations are just plain boring

ShadoeKat
06-18-2015, 04:26 PM
I guess this is making me rather disappointed at this time. No interiors, loved them... sneaking around and fighting. No hidden blade fighting... grrr. No deep customization? That seriously sucks. I don't know where they thought people did use it much. When I played co-op I saw quite a few different things being warn by people. My only disappointment was the colors kind of sucked in Unity for the clothes. Helix Rifts were cool. White room.. it's ok, but I'd fore-go that for interiors or clothes or something. Just from the stuff mentioned my excitement is not as high as it was. I guess we'll see. Thanks for the review!

Frank9182011
06-18-2015, 04:52 PM
I saw someone on Reddit mention that they heard no ambient music during their ~1 hour of play time, but I see several folks ITT mentioning ambient music. Can anyone confirm whether it's their or not? If so, is it actually during freeroam?

VoXngola
06-18-2015, 05:18 PM
I saw someone on Reddit mention that they heard no ambient music during their ~1 hour of play time, but I see several folks ITT mentioning ambient music. Can anyone confirm whether it's their or not? If so, is it actually during freeroam?

I mean, you can watch the video yourself. Ambient music starts around 9:20, with a Jesper Kyd touch.

Democrito_71
06-18-2015, 05:21 PM
I went to the inner part of Stockholm and played Syndicate earlier today. Since there were no queue to play the game, I was allowed to play as much as I wanted :cool:

Afterwards I were going to give direct, constructive feedback to a higher employee in Ubisoft Nordic and I learned a few things that some others might have misunderstood when it come to the numbers of interiors and such.

But before I tell you more about it, I have to point out that the reason why the graphics in the demo version Sixkeys, Assassin_M and I played are worse than Unitys graphics at the moment, is because the demo is pre-alpha and the pre-alpha versions graphics is bad so when the game releases, Syndicate will look as astonishing as Unity so don't worry about the graphic quality.

First here are my thoughts of the game and feedback I gave to the Ubisoft Nordic employee ;

- Even if the graphics in the pre-alpha demo reminded me of the PS3 version of Dragon Age: Inquisition(the graphics in the PS3-version of DA:I is quite horrible to be honest imo) but as I said before, it will change and look as astonishing like Unity so don't worry about it guys.

- London is more colorful than Unity and it's nice to see a different Victorian London from what we are used too

- The white room loading screen are back and the one in the Syndicate my favorite loading screen in the franchise so far.

- Ambient soundtracks are back and the one that occurred in the demo reminded me of Jesper Kyds old Ac-soundtrack which was beautiful :)

- I found the combat to be satisfying and at the same time a bit to glitchy at the moment which I pointed out to the employee and he told me they are working on it to be more fluid and there's going to be even more combat animations and finishing moves for both Jacob and Evie. They will also have their own, separate combat moves as well since Jacob is more combat oriented while Evie is more stealthy in combat. I also told him it was difficult to see all the enemies while in combat so I suggested the camera angle should be like in Unity when the camera angle was a bit in a birds perspective so we could see all the enemies we were fighting.

- The camera is to close to Jacob when he walks, climbs and free running on the roof tops. I told the employee that I wish the camera would be a bit zoomed out when Jacob walks so I can see more what happening around him while he walks. The camera were to close to Jacob when he climbed on the buildings so it was a bit more difficult to see where I could climb so I told the employee so zoom out the camera like in Unity and same goes to the rooftop free-running. The camera is to close when Jacob runs across rooftops(Like Connor when running across rooftops in Boston/New York) So I also told him to zoom out the camera like in Unity so we could see more around Jacob.

- The customization is back but not like in Unity there you could dress up as a musketeer if you wanted to. He could't tell me specifically what we can expect except that Jacob and Evie will have their own customization options, so I gave him the feedback that I want the customization options to me more true to the 1830-60s style of clothing since the options to dress up as a musketeer or as a medieval Assassin made me lose the immersion of the French Revolution Paris when Arno stood out from the crowd. Funnily the employee said something like yeah if somebody would dress up as a musketeer in the french revolution, he would probably immediately be beheaded since he stands out from the crowd or something XD

- The running animation/walking animation of Jacob is copied from Arno. I told the employee that it's important for me when playing a new character, that a new character has a different set of running/walking animation because it make the character to feel new(imo). Since he wasn't allowed to talk much about Evie since they are going to reveal more in august about her, I told him if Evie has the same running/walking animation as Jacob/Arno, players might feel they are playing a female avatar of Jacob/Arno instead of playing a whole new character. He hadn't thought about it before so he were going to tell my feedback directly to the bosses in Montreal/Quebec so hopefully Jacob has his own running/walking animations or at least that Evie has her set of running/walking animations.

- The rope launcher is needed for Syndicate since the streets are much wider that the ones in Unity. It's also very nice to zipeline across London. There were one thing that I was annoyed by the rope launcher was that a certain Icon over Jacobs tophat that said "L1(PS4 controller) and an arrow pointed up". I got tricked by it several times since I thought I could use the rope launcher at the buildings I were looking at like in Arkham City/Arkham Knight, instead I rope launched the buildings behind or next to me. They have removed that Icon so there'll be no annoying problem with that, but I did tell him that I think they should check more at Arkham City how Rocksteady made the grappling hook mechanic which works fluidly since the grappling hook icon show up once you look towards the house ceilings.

- You can't incapacitate enemies by shooting their knee caps so I pointed out that I wish they could implement this feature which could give us players more nonlethal choices so he were going to talk to bosses at Montreal/Quebec about it.

- The clothing animations in the demo were a bit stiff but the employee told me that they are going to refine the animations of Jacobs leather jacket so it moves more naturally.

- You can dodge pistol shots while running which is very welcoming.

- There'll be more interiors in Syndicate than in Unity according to the Ubisoft Nordic employee and the interiors will be more focused on stealth.
The camera angle indoors is like the camera angle in Black Flag when Edward walks so I pointed out I couldn't see the entire left side of the room because the camera angle put Jacob on the left side of the screen indoors. I told him that I think many fans might get irritated by that camera angle. Hopefully the developers are changing the camera angle back like in Unity where the camera angle was placed behind Arno instead of placing the camera angle so Jacob covers the left side of the screen.

Obs attention! Assassin_M in the thread below managed to talk to the side content director about the amount of interiors and his source which is more believable than my source confirmed that;

"- There will be interiors but they wont be as plentiful as in ACU. The side content director said that they cut down on unnecessary interiors and left only the necessary ones. For use in strongholds, parkour sequences...etc. This was done because it was one of the major contributers to the FPS and stability problem in Unity."

So my source might be wrong about it will be more interiors in Syndicate than in Unity. It doesn't matter really for me if it's less interiors in Syndicate since many of the interiors in Unity served as chest & collectable locations.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1177935-My-impressions-from-playing-the-demo-12-times

- To be able to climb through windows is more complicated than before. Instead of holding the L2 on Dualshock 4, you press L1 to enter windows. I found it more complicated than L2-function in Unity so I hope the developers are fixin this back like it was in Unity.(I forgot to mention this to the boss when I had the chance)

We also talked about different time periods like the Vikings, the thirty years war and South America and he don't think a Viking setting could be good for AC since there were no bit cities in Scandinavia and in England during the Viking age. He did like the thirty years war setting and that the time period (1618-1648) still has a Baroque/renaissance influenced style. He also thought South America is good for AC since it has jungles.

I also suggested that I would love to play as a left handed protagonist who fights with weapons in his/her left hand and having a single hidden blade on the right arm. Even if it doesn't benefit gameplay wise, the left handed combat animations could be very unique since there's barely any video game protagonists who fights with swords left-handed and it could be a delight for the eyes to see something very different and new. The employee was very intrigued by it and added that he's going to tell directly to the bosses at Montreal/Quebec about my idea so if we get a left handed protagonist in the future, you can always thank me for that ;)

Final note; The developers according to the Ubisoft Nordic Employee, are doing over 100 updates per day before they release the game and from my experienced with the demo despite the pre-alpha graphics and a few other irritating/annoying things, I deeply think this game will be much better than Unity.

m4r-k7
06-18-2015, 05:29 PM
^ Thanks a lot for the impressions and thank you so much for giving them feedback that actually represents the hardcore AC fans views! :)

BananaBlighter
06-18-2015, 05:47 PM
I went to the inner part of Stockholm and played Syndicate earlier today. Since there were no queue to play the game, I was allowed to play as much as I wanted :cool:

Afterwards I were going to give direct, constructive feedback to a higher employee in Ubisoft Nordic and I learned a few things that some others might have misunderstood when it come to the numbers of interiors and such.

But before I tell you more about it, I have to point out that the reason why the graphics in the demo version Sixkeys, Assassin_M and I played are worse than Unitys graphics at the moment, is because the demo is pre-alpha and the pre-alpha versions graphics is bad so when the game releases, Syndicate will look as astonishing as Unity so don't worry about the graphic quality.

First here are my thoughts of the game and feedback I gave to the Ubisoft Nordic employee ;

- Even if the graphics in the pre-alpha demo reminded me of the PS3 version of Dragon Age: Inquisition(the graphics in the PS3-version of DA:I is quite horrible to be honest imo) but as I said before, it will change and look as astonishing like Unity so don't worry about it guys.

- London is more colorful than Unity and it's nice to see a different Victorian London from what we are used too

- The white room loading screen are back and the one in the Syndicate my favorite loading screen in the franchise so far.

- Ambient soundtracks are back and the one that occurred in the demo reminded me of Jesper Kyds old Ac-soundtrack which was beautiful :)

- I found the combat to be satisfying and at the same time a bit to glitchy at the moment which I pointed out to the employee and he told me they are working on it to be more fluid and there's going to be even more combat animations and finishing moves for both Jacob and Evie. They will also have their own, separate combat moves as well since Jacob is more combat oriented while Evie is more stealthy in combat. I also told him it was difficult to see all the enemies while in combat so I suggested the camera angle should be like in Unity when the camera angle was a bit in a birds perspective so we could see all the enemies we were fighting.

- The camera is to close to Jacob when he walks, climbs and free running on the roof tops. I told the boss that I wish the camera would be a bit zoomed out when Jacob walks so I can see more what happening around him while he walks. The camera were to close to Jacob when he climbed on the buildings so it was a bit more difficult to see where I could climb so I told the employee so zoom out the camera like in Unity and same goes to the rooftop free-running. The camera is to close when Jacob runs across rooftops(Like Connor when running across rooftops in Boston/New York) So I also told him to zoom out the camera like in Unity so we could see more around Jacob.

- The customization is back but not like in Unity there you could dress up as a musketeer if you wanted to. He could't tell me specifically what we can expect except that Jacob and Evie will have their own customization options, so I gave him the feedback that I want the customization options to me more true to the 1830-60s style of clothing since the options to dress up as a musketeer or as a medieval Assassin made me lose the immersion of the French Revolution Paris when Arno stood out from the crowd. Funnily the employee said something like yeah if somebody would dress up as a musketeer in the french revolution, he would probably immediately be beheaded since he stands out from the crowd or something XD

- The running animation/walking animation of Jacob is copied from Arno. I told the employee that it's important for me when playing a new character, that a new character has a different set of running/walking animation because it make the character to feel new(imo). Since he wasn't allowed to talk much about Evie since they are going to reveal more in august about her, I told him if Evie has the same running/walking animation as Jacob/Arno, players might feel they are playing a female avatar of Jacob/Arno instead of playing a whole new character. He hadn't thought about it before so he were going to tell my feedback directly to the bosses in Montreal/Quebec so hopefully Jacob has his own running/walking animations or at least that Evie has her set of running/walking animations.

- The rope launcher is needed for Syndicate since the streets are much wider that the ones in Unity. It's also very nice to zipeline across London. There were one thing that I annoyed by the rope launcher was that a certain Icon over Jacobs topcoat that said "L1(PS4 controller) and an arrow pointed up". I got tricked by it several times since I thought I could use the rope launcher was buildings I were looking at like in Arkham City/Arkham Knight, instead I rope launched the buildings behind or next to me. They have removed that Icon so there'll be no annoying problem with that, but I did tell him that I think they should check more at Arkham City how Rocksteady made the grappling hook mechanic which works fluidly since the grappling hook icon show up once you look towards the house ceilings.

- You can't incapacitate enemy by shooting their knee caps so I pointed out that I wish they could implement this feature which could give us players more nonlethal choices so he were going to talk to bosses at Montreal/Quebec about it.

- The clothing animations in the demo were a bit stiff but the employee told me that they are going to refine the animations of Jacobs leather jacket so it moves more naturally.

- You can dodge pistol shots while running which is very welcoming.

- There'll be more interiors in Syndicate than in Unity according to the Ubisoft Nordic employee and the interiors will be more focused on stealth.
The camera angle indoors is like the camera angle in Black Flag when Edward walks so I pointed out I couldn't see the entire left side of the room because the camera angle put Jacob on the left side of the screen indoors. I told him that I think many fans might get irritated by that camera angle. Hopefully the developers are changing the camera angle back like in Unity where the camera angle was placed behind Arno instead of placing the camera angle so Jacob covers the left side of the screen.

- To be able to climb through windows is more complicated than before. Instead of holding the L2 on Dualshock 4, you press L1 to enter windows. I found it more complicated than L2-function in Unity so I hope the developers are fixin this back like it was in Unity.(I forgot to mention this to the boss when I had the chance)

We also talked about different time periods like the Vikings, the thirty years war and South America and he don't think a Viking setting could be good for AC since there were no bit cities in Scandinavia and in England during the Viking age. He did like the thirty years war setting and that the time period (1618-1648) still has a Baroque/renaissance influenced style. He also thought South America is good for AC since it has jungles.

I also suggested that I would love to play as a left handed protagonist who fights with weapons in his/her left hand and having a single hidden blade on the right arm. Even if it doesn't benefit gameplay wise, the left handed combat animations could be very unique since there's barely any video game protagonists who fights with swords left-handed and it could be a delight for the eyes to see something very different and new. The employee was very intrigued by it and added that he's going to tell directly to the bosses at Montreal/Quebec about my idea so if we get a left handed protagonist in the future, you can always thank me for that ;)

Final note; The developers according to the Ubisoft Nordic Employee, are doing over 100 updates per day before they release the game and from my experienced with the demo despite the pre-alpha graphics and a few other irritating/annoying things, I deeply think this game will be much better than Unity.

I haven't even read this all yet, but the moment I saw that they're working on the combat glitchiness with more animations I just had to post...YES!!!

THE_JOKE_KING33
06-18-2015, 05:50 PM
I found the combat to be satisfying and at the same time a bit to glitchy at the moment which I pointed out to the employee and he told me they are working on it to be more fluid and there's going to be even more combat animations and finishing moves for both Jacob and Evie. They will also have their own, separate combat moves as well since Jacob is more combat oriented while Evie is more stealthy in combat. I also told him it was difficult to see all the enemies while in combat so I suggested the camera angle should be like in Unity when the camera angle was a bit in a birds perspective so we could see all the enemies we were fighting.

Good to hear!

rrebe
06-18-2015, 06:09 PM
The running animation/walking animation of Jacob is copied from Arno. I told the employee that it's important for me when playing a new character, that a new character has a different set of running/walking animation because it make the character to feel new(imo). Since he wasn't allowed to talk much about Evie since they are going to reveal more in august about her, I told him if Evie has the same running/walking animation as Jacob/Arno, players might feel they are playing a female avatar of Jacob/Arno instead of playing a whole new character. He hadn't thought about it before so he were going to tell my feedback directly to the bosses in Montreal/Quebec so hopefully Jacob has his own running/walking animations or at least that Evie has her set of running/walking animations.

Good point :eek:

Xstantin
06-18-2015, 06:23 PM
Nice write up, Democrito:)
- agreed about loading screen - it's a minor thing, but looks nice and minimalist
- I think dodging shots worked the same way in ACU
- rope thingie icon does sound a bit confusing

Democrito_71
06-18-2015, 06:54 PM
^ Thanks a lot for the impressions and thank you so much for giving them feedback that actually represents the hardcore AC fans views! :)

Thank you so much for enjoying my impressions about Syndicate m4r-k7 and the feedback I gave to the higher employee :) I felt I had to be honest with my impression of the demo so I told them the truth how I felt about the new mechanics, animations, gameplay and such so they can deliver a much better quality than Unity. Even if the demos graphic quality match up to the PS3 version of Dragon Age Inquisition(The PS3-version of this game is horrible by the way to be honest imo) I see a great potential that Syndicate will be great.

Nice write up, Democrito:)

Thank you, KEVT :)

- agreed about loading screen - it's a minor thing, but looks nice and minimalist

The loading screen in Syndicate is more enjoying to watch than the black screen in Unity :p and I love the design they have in the loading screen in Syndicate!
The video below is in pre-alpha so the graphics are bad in this video but when the main game releases in October, Syndicate will be as astonishing as Unity according to my source ;)

Skip to 10:22 and you can see the design of the white room/loading screen yourself :)

- I think dodging shots worked the same way in ACU

I ment when you run away from enemies, an icon(the Circle icon on Dualshock 4) shows up above Jacobs head and it indicates he will dodge the shots while running outside of combat. In Unity, if you were running away from the guards/enemies they would be able to shoot you down and would have almost no chance to avoid the deadly shots. Syndicate have solved this problem and it was more enjoying to run away from enemies without getting shot down.

- rope thingie icon does sound a bit confusing

Yes it was very confusing, but the higher employee who would later tell my feedbacks to the devs/bosses at Montreal/Quebec told me they have removed it long ago since their own play-testers got irritated/annoyed by it too.

Obs attention! Assassin_M in the thread below managed to talk to the side content director about the amount of interiors and his source which is more believable than my source confirmed that;

"- There will be interiors but they wont be as plentiful as in ACU. The side content director said that they cut down on unnecessary interiors and left only the necessary ones. For use in strongholds, parkour sequences...etc. This was done because it was one of the major contributers to the FPS and stability problem in Unity."

So my source might be wrong about it will be more interiors in Syndicate than in Unity. It doesn't matter really for me if it's less interiors in Syndicate since many of the interiors in Unity served as chest & collectable locations.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1177935-My-impressions-from-playing-the-demo-12-times

rrebe
06-18-2015, 07:04 PM
The loading screen in Syndicate is more enjoying to watch than the black screen in Unity :p and I love the design they have in the loading screen in Syndicate!
The video below is in pre-alpha so the graphics are bad in this video but when the main game releases in October, Syndicate will be as astonishing as Unity according to my source ;)

Skip to 10:22 and you can see the design of the white room/loading screen yourself :)

Ok that's just gorgeous

Daanage
06-18-2015, 08:32 PM
you just know a game's gonna suck, when the feature people are most excited for is the loading screens :nonchalance:

Zafar1981
06-18-2015, 09:37 PM
​I thanks Ubi$oft to give me a chance and let me know what they are making. Its good that I made my decision not to buy this game.

If you guy think Unity was bad just wait for this game and you will find a new winner. It is total downgrade graphic of unity, birds looks like piece of paper, combat is dull and boring, grappling hook sucks and carriage driving is worse( you have only one speed which is pressing the R1 button and when you stop pressing the button the carriage stops).

I am currently playing The Witcher 3 which is made by a small studio, 4 time less people than Unity and this game is called next gen game. Never played its first two games but this game is what I want.

AC was my favourite series but since AC3 the game start sinking

egriffin09
06-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Honestly, Syndicate gangs and gang stronghold will be very similar to the assassins and towers in brotherhood.

Perfect syndicate for me: gangs and stronghold similar to assassins and towers from brotherhood+ AC II level story+Black Flag's fun factor.

harsab
06-18-2015, 11:03 PM
​I thanks Ubi$oft to give me a chance and let me know what they are making. Its good that I made my decision not to buy this game.

If you guy think Unity was bad just wait for this game and you will find a new winner. It is total downgrade graphic of unity, birds looks like piece of paper, combat is dull and boring, grappling hook sucks and carriage driving is worse( you have only one speed which is pressing the R1 button and when you stop pressing the button the carriage stops).

I am currently playing The Witcher 3 which is made by a small studio, 4 time less people than Unity and this game is called next gen game. Never played its first two games but this game is what I want.

AC was my favourite series but since AC3 the game start sinking

Witcher 3 also has terrible graphics compared to Unity...pfft ''next gen'. As an AC fan Witcher 3 is simply so boring & dull to me. I don't understand how people compare these other fantasy/history sandbox games to AC. AC Is the king, even if they make a poor game. Unity was badly criticized & given negative reception but still managed to sell 9 million copies. Why? because it's AC. AC has gained legendary status in the gaming world weather they make bad or good games. Because we die hard AC fans don't like it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't.

Xstantin
06-18-2015, 11:28 PM
you just know a game's gonna suck, when the feature people are most excited for is the loading screens :nonchalance:

It might sound a bit weird, but you'll be staring at it a lot - so it better look nice

Journey93
06-18-2015, 11:53 PM
Witcher 3 also has terrible graphics compared to Unity...pfft ''next gen'. As an AC fan Witcher 3 is simply so boring & dull to me. I don't understand how people compare these other fantasy/history sandbox games to AC. AC Is the king, even if they make a poor game. Unity was badly criticized & given negative reception but still managed to sell 9 million copies. Why? because it's AC. AC has gained legendary status in the gaming world weather they make bad or good games. Because we die hard AC fans don't like it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't.

Lol so I guess COD is the best game series ever then (going by the sales)?
Unity sucked and the AC series has been declining since AC3 (apart from Black Flag) most agree on that

TW3 has terrible graphics? Dude pls
You may not like RPG's in general but its definitely not boring and dull
And no AC is not king, stop with the fanboyism

harsab
06-19-2015, 12:11 AM
Lol so I guess COD is the best game series ever then (going by the sales)?
Unity sucked and the AC series has been declining since AC3 (apart from Black Flag) most agree on that

TW3 has terrible graphics? Dude pls
You may not like RPG's in general but its definitely not boring and dull
And no AC is not king, stop with the fanboyism

Cod is definitely up there due to it's legacy, maybe not to hardcore fan of gaming.

Unity sucked (To ''ac fan boys'' apparently) but still managed to sell more then most games. Because of the dedication we have with AC & just shows how special the franchise is.

TW3 graphics compared to unity is complete garbage, stop chasing the hype.

The game is straight boring & story doesn't interest me at all.

We're on an AC Forum, of course i'm gonna ''fanboyism''. This is why i miss initiates forums. We would just talk about the positives of the games & appreciate the franchise. Not have people bash the game constantly & not realizing we are the cause of them going downhill due to us comparing AC constantly to other franchises.

Journey93
06-19-2015, 12:39 AM
Cod is definitely up there due to it's legacy, maybe not to hardcore fan of gaming.

Unity sucked (To ''ac fan boys'' apparently) but still managed to sell more then most games. Because of the dedication we have with AC & just shows how special the franchise is.

We're on an AC Forum, of course i'm gonna ''fanboyism''. This is why i miss initiates forums. We would just talk about the positives of the games & appreciate the franchise. Not have people bash the game constantly & not realizing we are the cause of them going downhill due to us comparing AC constantly to other franchises.

So we are the cause of Unity? What?
I love AC too but lets be real here
Ubisoft is at fault here for milking the series to death, Unity could have been good if they had at least one more year of development (if not more)

Also regarding TW3, its just your opinion man I think the story and characters are great (have you even played it?)
And the graphics are still good not as good as Unity but the latter showed that graphics aren't everything

Unity selled a lot because most casual buyers don't care, COD sells every year too even though it turned to **** since COD4

Xstantin
06-19-2015, 01:01 AM
And the graphics are still good not as good as Unity but the latter showed that graphics aren't everything

today it's downgrade culture so it's very important:rolleyes:. I do like the way the Witcher 3 looks though

STDlyMcStudpants
06-19-2015, 03:37 AM
English people must be as hard to animate as women

D.I.D.
06-19-2015, 08:35 AM

Firstly, there's quite an irony in decrying AC fanboys'/fangirls' negative comments about Unity in one breath and then dismissing The Witcher 3's graphics as "complete garbage" in the next.

Secondly, there is clearly a problem when the spokespeople overseeing the game explain that there are no tomb-like levels in Syndicate because of a lack of time, but that they might return to this in a future game. Unless they're planning another London game straight after this then it's incredible to me that they could bring the game to the real-life home of the original non-fiction Templars, where 12th century Templar buildings still stand and are in use in the real world, and not put the classic AC secret subterranean tombs into them. This leaves three possibilities: they they did not know about these buildings (least likely); that they know, but don't care; or that they wanted to do this but the people in charge said, "No, this game's coming out in 2015". After Yves Guillemot's promise after Unity that the games would never be forced out of the door again, that promise now sounds rather hollow -- rather like something he said for a headline, to appease journalists and customers, with no authenticity behind it at all. It's not as if we're talking about a situation simply post-Unity here: this has happened year after year where time pressures have hurt each game to varying extents (even Black Flag). If the anger is loudest now, there's a good reason for that.

TLDR: Ubisoft is rushing Syndicate to the point that it has omitted Templar tombs in London. While the game might turn out to be good in other ways, any suspicions that the game is rushed in any respect are 100% justified and deserve to be aired.

Zafar1981
06-19-2015, 09:58 AM

I am sorry mate for comparing Witcher with Assassin Creed. I take my words back and you can enjoy with your king. I can't afford your king any more. I was comparing your king with Witcher because both are third person Action Adventure sword fighting games. And if you think customisation, upgrading abilities are not trademark of and RPG game then I doubt that you are a gamer.

And by the way correct your figure of 9 million sale of Unity, its 9 million Unity plus Rouge. Witcher had sold only 4 million in its first 2 week which break the record of GTA 5 of 2.5 million in first fortnight.

And history my a** neither Charles Lee nor Silversmith were assassinated in real life. They died their own natural death.

Graphic Witcher 3 at Xone 900 and 1080P 30fps, PS4 1080P 30fps and PC 4k 60fps and your king Unity you know well then me.

You a die heart fan and what about me who had played all of the games and purchased XBox One in 2014 just after E3 because of Unity while my actual plan to buy that in early 2016.

dxsxhxcx
06-19-2015, 12:41 PM

lol... I thought the same thing... wait until the devs advertise this as a new feature... xD

harsab
06-19-2015, 01:46 PM
I am sorry mate for comparing Witcher with Assassin Creed. I take my words back and you can enjoy with your king. I can't afford your king any more. I was comparing your king with Witcher because both are third person Action Adventure sword fighting games. And if you think customisation, upgrading abilities are not trademark of and RPG game then I doubt that you are a gamer.

And by the way correct your figure of 9 million sale of Unity, its 9 million Unity plus Rouge. Witcher had sold only 4 million in its first 2 week which break the record of GTA 5 of 2.5 million in first fortnight.

And history my a** neither Charles Lee nor Silversmith were assassinated in real life. They died their own natural death.

Graphic Witcher 3 at Xone 900 and 1080P 30fps, PS4 1080P 30fps and PC 4k 60fps and your king Unity you know well then me.

You a die heart fan and what about me who had played all of the games and purchased XBox One in 2014 just after E3 because of Unity while my actual plan to buy that in early 2016.

Witcher 3 is just weak compared to AC. Maybe not unity but other AC'S. People tend to be excited and over hyped over games that are outshining others temporarily & suddenly think that's the right way to go. Witcher 3 seems forgettable.

Unity was a ''disaster'' and i repeat ''disaster'' in the ''gaming world'' apparently but still sold so much. Conversation about sales end there.

When i mentioned history i didn't mean the accuracy of it, i meant how Ubisoft do such a great job at recreating cites & atmospheres.

When Unity doesn't even run well it still looks better then Witcher 3, discussing ends there graphically.

m4r-k7
06-19-2015, 01:54 PM
^ The Witcher 3 is better than 90% of AC games. The Witcher 3, like Read Dead Redemption is what open world games should be. AC can learn ALOT from The Witcher 3. Also, graphically The Witcher 3 is better in mostly every area. They are different types of games so its hard to compare them, but overall The Witcher 3 does things that Assassins Creed just can't do under annualisation.

harsab
06-19-2015, 02:11 PM
^ The Witcher 3 is better than 90% of AC games. The Witcher 3, like Read Dead Redemption is what open world games should be. AC can learn ALOT from The Witcher 3. Also, graphically The Witcher 3 is better in mostly every area. They are different types of games so its hard to compare them, but overall The Witcher 3 does things that Assassins Creed just can't do under annualisation.

As soon as you said ''The Witcher 3 is better then 90% of AC games'', you lost me. This debate is invalid now. If only AC Fans were as passionate about the franchise as they are with other games, smh.

m4r-k7
06-19-2015, 02:48 PM
As soon as you said ''The Witcher 3 is better then 90% of AC games'', you lost me. This debate is invalid now. If only AC Fans were as passionate about the franchise as they are with other games, smh.

You can be passionate about AC and still prefer other games. I absolutely love AC 1 and AC 2 - they are some of my favorite games of all time and gave me experiences no other games could at the time but the series has just gotten dull as time has gone on (apart from AC 4). I still enjoy the series a lot and will continue buying the games, but in this current time of gaming, there are so many other incredible experiences that are better than the Assassins Creed games. I will remain and say the premise of Assassins Creed is one of the greatest game concepts of all time - the mix of historical tourism, stealth, action with pseduo scientific elements is incredibly fascinating and awesome, but I can name a ton of games that are better (in terms of pure gameplay) than AC. As a series, AC is my favourite (hence why I go on the forums), but as games there are tons of better ones out there.

Zafar1981
06-19-2015, 03:03 PM

Please don't tell anyone else that Witcher graphics are inferior than Unity. People will make fun of you. I don't know about you but I went to play Syndicate demo and believe me the graphics are downgrade version of Unity.

Well my point here is not Unity is better or Witcher is better my point is that a studio with 1/4 people of Unity take same time 3 years and make a game which new comer like me enjoy the game.

The only point I want to raise is that open world game doesn't mean that we have created a city of couple of centuries ago with nothing in it. If you play the side quest of Witcher 3 the characters have animations and cut scene but the side quests in Unity you are standing the other person is standing or sitting and telling you bla bla bla.

harsab
06-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Please don't tell anyone else that Witcher graphics are inferior than Unity. People will make fun of you. I don't know about you but I went to play Syndicate demo and believe me the graphics are downgrade version of Unity.

Are you kidding me? you're trolling right? Unity is graphically the best video game I've seen so far. Witcher 3 looks no way NEAR as good as Unity.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-19-2015, 07:02 PM

LMAO its hilarious to me how much DSing is going on for CDProjektRed because they are so pro gamer they get a pass.
Is the witcher 3 a better game than Unity? Yes, Rogue? Yes, AC 4? Yes
AC3? No, ACR? No, ACB? No AC2? No AC 1? Yes
Thats a 50%..
Not annualizing AC isnt going to fix it..
witcher 3 had and has MORE PROBLEMS than unity did!
Unity was a polished game in development for 5 years compared to the witcher 3
Reviewing the game.. it probably crashed at least 20-30 times total pre and post day 1 patch..
Heck, it STILL Crashes...
Hands down the least stable game to exist.
Ihave had heads missing and floating all over the place..
Unity has one meme floating around and suddenly ubisoft are sh*t developers
AC takes so much heat because its annualized, but a game with more problems comes out and its okay and expected 'because its open world' but in actuality its because it isnt annualized and add ons are free LOL
The witcher 3 looks like an end of cycle PS3 game.. (Obviously this game is massive and therefor if it were on ps3 it would look a lot worse.. for its SIZE its gorgeous, but still there are ps3 games that look better....)
Its lighting is easily the best in any game ive played outside of journey... but it doesnt hold a candle (pun intended) to Unitys graphics
its funny you say AC can learn from witcher when witcher 3 stole everything from AC, Souls, Red Dead, and Skyrim :D

itsamea-mario
06-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Witcher is best game. very good. yes. must play, u like rice?

harsab
06-19-2015, 09:42 PM
LMAO its hilarious to me how much DSing is going on for CDProjektRed because they are so pro gamer they get a pass.
Is the witcher 3 a better game than Unity? Yes, Rogue? Yes, AC 4? Yes
AC3? No, ACR? No, ACB? No AC2? No AC 1? Yes
Thats a 50%..
Not annualizing AC isnt going to fix it..
witcher 3 had and has MORE PROBLEMS than unity did!
Unity was a polished game in development for 5 years compared to the witcher 3
Reviewing the game.. it probably crashed at least 20-30 times total pre and post day 1 patch..
AC takes so much heat because its annualized, but a game with more problems comes out and its okay and expected 'because its open world' but in actuality its because it isnt annualized and add ons are free LOL
The witcher 3 looks like an end of cycle PS3 game.. (Obviously this game is massive and therefor if it were on ps3 it would look a lot worse.. for its SIZE its gorgeous, but still there are ps3 games that look better....)
Its lighting is easily the best in any game ive played outside of journey... but it doesnt hold a candle (pun intended) to Unitys graphics
its funny you say AC can learn from witcher when witcher 3 stole everything from AC, Souls, Red Dead, and Skyrim :D

Thank you for this thread, i wasn't even aware of half the things u mentioned. I played Witcher 3 a good few times and spent good few hours on it but didn't totally immerse myself into the game. As an AC Fan i just wasn't enjoying TW3.

I feel like a lot of sandbox games steal things from AC & get away with it. Suddenly these games are ''amazing'' & ''AC can learn a few things from it''.

I guess that clears things up.

I want people to love AC again, and feel passionate about the franchise and defend it. As corny as this sounds but having a strong team behind something can create beautiful wonders. AC fans are some of the worst atm just complaining over & over. This isn't helping them make a good game. We ask for one feature they do it, then we complain again ask for another feature. It's an on going cycle. Stop judging a game before it's even released. They are taking in a lot of our feedback this time & hopefully will fix many of the issues we've had with previous ACS.

harsab
06-19-2015, 09:53 PM
:D

It's crazy, all these websites/journalists criticized and poked fun at Unity for it's problems so heavily when the game came out. Till this day they still start off articles with ''the disaster Unity was blah blah''. It's like when Ubisoft make a mistake people just want to attack them so much that they become a laughing stock. Why not with Witcher 3? Why is this game not poked fun at? ''pro developers blah blah''. Humans are funny people i tell you.

marvelfannumber
06-19-2015, 10:04 PM
I want people to love AC again, and feel passionate about the franchise and defend it. As corny as this sounds but having a strong team behind something can create beautiful wonders. AC fans are some of the worst atm just complaining over & over. This isn't helping them make a good game. We ask for one feature they do it, then we complain again ask for another feature. It's an on going cycle. Stop judging a game before it's even released. They are taking in a lot of our feedback this time & hopefully will fix many of the issues we've had with previous ACS.

Oh good god, have we gotten to the point where the AC fanbase is slowly transforming into the Sonic fanbase?

http://i.imgur.com/Wyowz8j.gif

dxsxhxcx
06-19-2015, 10:35 PM

Other companies sometimes "get a pass" because they don't put their games' quality at stake for greedy reasons... the problem isn't the myriad of bugs and glitches (among other things, in AC's case) a game can and will have, the problem is that Ubisoft put themselves in this situation on purpose just to maximize profit, every year they release a subpar product because of it and that's why, IMO, people shouldn't cut them some slack for their failures..

itsamea-mario
06-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Oh good god, have we gotten to the point where the AC fanbase is slowly transforming into the Sonic fanbase?

http://i.imgur.com/Wyowz8j.gif

Good comparison.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-20-2015, 04:19 AM
Other companies sometimes "get a pass" because they don't put their games' quality at stake for greedy reasons... the problem isn't the myriad of bugs and glitches (among other things, in AC's case) a game can and will have, the problem is that Ubisoft put themselves in this situation on purpose just to maximize profit, every year they release a subpar product because of it and that's why, IMO, people shouldn't cut them some slack for their failures..

You missed my point..
I'm not saying we should cut anyone slack..
Im saying its hypocritical to tear Assassins Creed apart when its open world has hiccups but praise another open world with larger hickups
Unity didnt deserve its 7's just as much as Witcher didnt deserve its 10s lol
No amount of development time couldve saved unity..
Unity was horrible because of its story.......
Not its world or its bugs
Fact is AC games are given just as much time to be made as other AAA games are..
Sure they have a deadline to meet and rely a little TOO heavily on patches.. but ive yet to play an ac and wish it were in the oven a little longer....
Development time isnt going to fix assassins creed.. vision will....
its starting to get stale...

Altair1789
06-20-2015, 04:26 AM
You missed my point..
I'm not saying we should cut anyone slack..
Im saying its hypocritical to tear Assassins Creed apart when its open world has hiccups but praise another open world with larger hickups
Unity didnt deserve its 7's just as much as Witcher didnt deserve its 10s lol
No amount of development time couldve saved unity..
Unity was horrible because of its story.......
Not its world or its bugs
Fact is AC games are given just as much time to be made as other AAA games are..
Sure they have a deadline to meet and rely a little TOO heavily on patches.. but ive yet to play an ac and wish it were in the oven a little longer....
Development time isnt going to fix assassins creed.. vision will....
its starting to get stale...

The problem isn't the amount of time, the problem is the premature deadline. With the current model, vision is the exact opposite of what's needed. Alex Hutchinson had more vision for a game than any other AC game developer. The things he said he had planned for AC3 during a livestream blew me away. He spent so much time on the details in the Homestead, but the game was considered terrible. More vision at the moment = more wasted time. If Alex Hutchinson had his hands on a game and could set his own deadline, it would be an amazing game. They really should've just started AC3 after AC2 released, made Brotherhood and Revelations DLCs by their respective game devs, and then let Hutchinson take as much time as he needed. AC3 would be more welcomed than Fallout 4

I agree that Unity's story was the problem, but game reviewers only look at gameplay, and they think bugs are permanent.

Mr_Shade
06-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Lets stop the infighting please.. thanks ;)

The demo has pleased many, many people so far - don't forget this is not final, so 'reviews' based on the performance and issues in the demo - might not always be for the best..

However this is your thread - so away you go.

BUT -
Lets keep the focus on the Syndicate demo - please :)

Defalt221
06-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Lets stop the infighting please.. thanks ;)

The demo has pleased many, many people so far - don't forget this is not final, so 'reviews' based on the performance and issues in the demo - might not always be for the best..

However this is your thread - so away you go.

BUT -
Lets keep the focus on the Syndicate demo - please :)

Agree. I stopped reading the middle 5 pages because of the internal quarreling.
As I was saying, AC Syndicate has a great romm for improvement. Thugh the e3 demo hyped me somehow...

Farlander1991
06-20-2015, 06:08 PM
They really should've just started AC3 after AC2 released

They did start working on AC3 after AC2 released.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-20-2015, 06:54 PM
The problem isn't the amount of time, the problem is the premature deadline. With the current model, vision is the exact opposite of what's needed. Alex Hutchinson had more vision for a game than any other AC game developer. The things he said he had planned for AC3 during a livestream blew me away. He spent so much time on the details in the Homestead, but the game was considered terrible. More vision at the moment = more wasted time. If Alex Hutchinson had his hands on a game and could set his own deadline, it would be an amazing game. They really should've just started AC3 after AC2 released, made Brotherhood and Revelations DLCs by their respective game devs, and then let Hutchinson take as much time as he needed. AC3 would be more welcomed than Fallout 4

I agree that Unity's story was the problem, but game reviewers only look at gameplay, and they think bugs are permanent.

AC3 I loved...
It was the Red Dead Redemption of Assassins Creed
Much liek red dead youre either going to really love it or find it really boring

AC4, AC RO, and AC Unity lacked vision, and if im being honesty syndacity seems to lack visions as well.. it looks like an expansion to unity... doesnt even look like its own game

Altair1789
06-20-2015, 09:05 PM
They did start working on AC3 after AC2 released.

True, forgot about that, but either way they should've given Hutchinson as much time as he needed

AC3 I loved...
Much liek red dead youre either going to really love it or find it really boring

AC4, AC RO, and AC Unity lacked vision, and if im being honesty syndacity seems to lack visions as well.. it looks like an expansion to unity... doesnt even look like its own game

ACU had a lot of vision, seamless interiors, new combat, 1:1 Paris, the list goes on. Amancio really had dreams for that game. I think the removal of some things was unnecessary, but that's irrelevant. Syndicate isn't getting enough credit I think. It may not be creative in anything other than the rope launcher and two protagonists, but it will be a bit different from Unity. The graphics are confirmed a slight downgrade, but that doesn't bother me since this game has color. It's definitely not what Ubisoft should use to defend annualization though, it is still quite similar to Unity. I think we can expect a pretty nice launch and few unmet expectations because this game doesn't aim for much. My point still stands. An Assassin's Creed game may need more than 4 years to be refined as intended, and the solution isn't give it 5 or 6 years, the solution is give it how ever much time it needs. Ubisoft knows what they're doing though, and they seem to be doing it from a fiscal point of view. Annualization brings in the most money, and you can't blame them for thinking that way

Farlander1991
06-20-2015, 10:57 PM
True, forgot about that, but either way they should've given Hutchinson as much time as he needed

As a game developer, I can totally relate to that sentiment. That said, deadlines are usually more helpful than they are not (even if you decide to move them a couple times eventually, it's still good to have them for productivity purposes).

However, Hutchinson couldn't have as much time as he needed. The game HAD to be released at the end of 2012. Not just from a strict corporate perspective, but from the narrative and even cultural perspective in a way. The game takes place in 2012 and is about preventing the Apocalypse that was on everybodys minds at the time (not in a serious sense of course, only minority would ACTUALLY believe in it, but I don't think there's any denying that the Apocalypse of 2012 played an important part in the pop culture of that time. Releasing it AFTER the 2012 date passes? That just loses the punch. Heck, when AC1 was released in 2007, and I saw the Satellite launch date (which, btw, is a much more interesting concept of playing on the Apocalypse idea than the Solar Flare plot that took over after AC2), it was clear as day to me - AC3 is going to be released in 2012. The end of 2012 is something the fans would've been waiting for since 2007. You can't miss that date.

3 years is enough to make a great game. Black Flag was made in two, and it's absolutely amazing. Granted, it used the technology made for AC3, but if you'd plan a game like Black Flag from scratch including updated technology, 3 years would also be enough for it.

I applaud the ambition, I think it's very important to have it, and AC3 and later games have benefited from that. However, when you know you've got 3 years, you need to have proper plans, proper rescoping fallbacks, and stuff like that, something that it feels AC3 didn't really have.

Would AC3 be a better game had it been released later? Yes. Would it be as signifacnt? Not really. Ultimately, what would make the game better is if the scope would have been lesser and more polished.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-20-2015, 11:09 PM
ACU had a lot of vision, seamless interiors, new combat, 1:1 Paris, the list goes on. Amancio really had dreams for that game. I think the removal of some things was unnecessary, but that's irrelevant. Syndicate isn't getting enough credit I think. It may not be creative in anything other than the rope launcher and two protagonists, but it will be a bit different from Unity. The graphics are confirmed a slight downgrade, but that doesn't bother me since this game has color. It's definitely not what Ubisoft should use to defend annualization though, it is still quite similar to Unity. I think we can expect a pretty nice launch and few unmet expectations because this game doesn't aim for much. My point still stands. An Assassin's Creed game may need more than 4 years to be refined as intended, and the solution isn't give it 5 or 6 years, the solution is give it how ever much time it needs. Ubisoft knows what they're doing though, and they seem to be doing it from a fiscal point of view. Annualization brings in the most money, and you can't blame them for thinking that way

I'm guessing you're very left brain
New does not equal vision
Uncharted is the same thing 4 games in a row but has vision
God of war 1-3 same thing 3 games in a row but had vision
We dont need new mechanics... new systems.. forget all of that
we need breath...
Breath = vision
The Witcher 3 had vision
Red Dead Redemption had vision
Assassins Creed 3 had vision

ACU was just coding
Just a 'heres a big game with objectives, do them until you get to the credits'
There was no life to the game..

Defalt221
06-21-2015, 11:56 AM
ACU was just coding
Just a 'heres a big game with objectives, do them until you get to the credits'

It's not "credits" it's ""Just a 'heres a big game with objectives, do them until you start hating our product so that we can make a new AC leak..

Megas_Doux
06-25-2015, 06:29 PM
AC3 I loved...

There you lost me, RDRīs frontier blows AC IIIīs frontier out of the water, comparing them is plain offensive. The only game of this franchise that can stand near to that level quality open world is AC IV. Aside from that thereīs the fact that AC III has the absolute worst mission design to date, only two open assassinations, what a JOKE!

The main problem with AC in general is annualization, for it forces the developers not only to cut down features in order to meet the ridiculous expectations of releasing games even TWO games per year, but also released the planned ones in a poor state.