PDA

View Full Version : PC Concern

RakeVillain
06-16-2015, 03:40 PM
I am worried on how the developers will manage to transfer Art of Battle so awesome and realistic console system to PC especially the feel of being hit and hitting because mouses don't vibrate etc. Anyone share your opinions on this topic? :D

YarbleckX
06-16-2015, 05:15 PM
I am worried on how the developers will manage to transfer Art of Battle so awesome and realistic console system to PC especially the feel of being hit and hitting because mouses don't vibrate etc. Anyone share your opinions on this topic? :D

Just plug an xbone controller in your PC.

l0lz1337
06-16-2015, 05:47 PM
Just plug an xbone controller in your PC.

But that's not a good idea. That's like telling a Formula 1 car to use wooden tires instead of slicks because it rains. :/

I hope the game is closer to Chivalry: Medieval Warfare than to War of the Roses/VIkings in term of blocking. Blocking doesn't work very well in the later, because of the counter-intuive directional blocking system, which doesn't work - at all - with a mouse (too many inputs/second).

Chivalry does a much better job, where you simply have to aim with your crosshair at the tip of the weapon you want to block. If you aim well and time it right, you block.
If you fail to aim properly, you miss and get hit.

Dear developers, bear in mind that a mouse is not a controller. Maybe you have to totally rework the "art of battle" system for PCs (mice).

firekingster
06-16-2015, 09:24 PM
The only "real" experience us PC users would miss out on, would be vibrations... If that really matters to you, you can just plug in a controller.

Sixty-nl
06-17-2015, 10:58 AM
For a few games on pc i use a controller because it sometimes works/feel better for me. If you have an old ps2 controller there are €10 adapters so you can use it on pc, for PS3/4 and Xbox controllers you can plug it in or use a Bluetooth/****le for wireless. There is software for that, on pc there are always more then enough options.

But i am going offtopic, i am sure they make it work for people who want to play with mouse and keyboard, maybe they even add the option for PS4 and Xbox One for those who prefer it.

SnorriUlversson
06-17-2015, 11:05 AM
The only "real" experience us PC users would miss out on, would be vibrations... If that really matters to you, you can just plug in a controller.

More than vibrations, probably a controller would be better on PC looking to the gart of battle system; honestly using a gamepad seems more performing to me rather than keyboard and gaming mouse in this case...but we'll see

Niphrentil
06-17-2015, 11:09 AM
On PC you would use WASD to move and the mouse to look around and fight... Maybe a Shift + Mouse Movement could enter the Art of Battle mode so, there you have it... I guess it will be the same with controllers too... You'd use one joystick to move, the other to look around or turn while moving and then press a shoulder/trigger button to enter the Art of Battle fight mode.

Serdones
06-17-2015, 11:22 AM
Really depends on the game whether M+K or controller is better. Most games developed primarily with PC in mind will do better with M+K, sure, and certain genres tend to favor it also (FPSes, RTSes, MMOs, etc.). Still, though they're definitely not PC-centric titles, Dark Souls I and II, for instance, definitely play better on controller. Considering how For Honor has maybe been developed with a controller in mind, even if they manage a functional control scheme, controllers could still have the edge, like in Dark Souls II, which is way better than Dark Souls I for M+K, but a controller's still better.

It'd suck to split the player base like that, but it's kind of just a fact of competitive gaming that if you want to perform the best, you need to use the recommended interface, even if it's not standard with that platform. The FGC deals with it, considering so many (maybe most) fighting games definitely necessitate fighting sticks if you want to be competitive. Hopefully at least the rift isn't so wide that people rocking the non-optimal set-up can't even have fun in PVP. While Chivalry's definitely better on M+K, I was still able to play pretty competently and have fun on a controller when I wanted to chill in my recliner instead of sit at my desk or use the mouse and keyboard ... lap ... pad ... thingy. Forget what it's called.

Although, now that I think about it, maybe M+K wouldn't be super hard to map. Maybe the scrollwheel up could be one of the three directions, down could be the second and clicking the scrollwheel could be the third. Left could be light attack, right could be heavy. WASD for movement, obvs. Then just some of the keys around WASD for the remaining inputs. That sounds pretty good. Maybe that would even be faster, if scrollwheel up, down and clicked is faster than moving the right analog stick.

SnorriUlversson
06-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Dunno, honestly I hope so...but looking at this article, a gamepad seems better http://forhonor.ubi.com/game/en-US/news/detail.aspx?c=tcm:152-200069-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

RakeVillain
06-17-2015, 12:47 PM
I don't know honestly, I have a Xbox One controller but I would prefer it if they transferred the complete feel to the mouse and keyboard.

Doctrinaire
06-18-2015, 02:45 AM
I suspect you'll need to plug in a controller and play/interface that way.

you might be able to play using keyboard/mouse, but it could be like a flight/space sim where a joystick works better overall as that was the plan.

a keyboard could open up some interesting key combo's though...especially if you utilize something like the Razer Orbweaver. :confused:

Invader_Darko
06-18-2015, 03:51 AM
You can use basically any controller you want on PC. This should not be an issue, May even try using the Steam controller.

Serdones
06-18-2015, 07:23 AM
Dunno, honestly I hope so...but looking at this article, a gamepad seems better http://forhonor.ubi.com/game/en-US/news/detail.aspx?c=tcm:152-200069-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Good, I like playing on PC with my controller more anyway.

Also, I want For Honor to get super competitive, and then I want to be good at it so I can justify buying the Elite Xbox One Controller 'cause it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pretty.

May get it for Souls PVP anyway.

Serdones
06-18-2015, 07:27 AM
And yeah, if we do need controllers, obviously wired third-party ones are an option. There are also some wireless third-party controllers that'll sync with a generic Bluetooth receiver, though some can be a bit spotty.

The DualShock 3 and DualShock 4 both also work fine with a cable. The DualShock 4 can work wirelessly also with a generic Bluetooth receiver.

Though as a big fan of Xbox gamepads, I'd definitely recommend an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller. The 360 controller has a wireless receiver already available, which is what I use on my PC. Microsoft recently announced a receiver for the Xbox One controller, but it's not out yet and it'll only work for Windows 10. If you don't care whether it's wireless, you can get a wired 360 controller. The "wired" Xbox One controller just comes with a micro-USB.

Fatal-Feit
06-18-2015, 03:15 PM
The Art of Battle was designed for controllers in mind, so I wouldn't be too optimistic about how it translates to M&K. I'm assuming you'll get better results with higher DPI mice, though.

Eiddard
06-18-2015, 03:36 PM
I think it will work fine in PC, as far as I saw in the Art of Battle article, there is not that much that a M+K cant do.

You move with WASD, you use TAB to lock/unlock on objectives(enter in Art of Battle mode). Instead of holding you press it to lock and press it to unlock.

The mouse moves the camera except when you Lock on objectives then it selects the guard.

Q and E = Change Objectives when lock on

Left Click = Light attack

Rigth Click = Heavy attack

Shift = sprint

C= dodge

F = Guard break

R/T = Finishers

1,2,3,4 = Feats

Z or X or whatever key = Emotes

And that is basiclly all I think, and if you have side buttons for your mouse it is even easier, giving you the chance to dodge and guard break with your mouse or whatever you prefer to do with your mouse.

The only thing you lose is the vibration, but for me that is not a problem.

topeira1980
06-18-2015, 07:18 PM
the reason i think a controller would work better with this game is because with a controller you can move the RS (right stick) to the left and it gets stuck when you reach the limit of the stick. and if you let go it snaps to center. this doesnt work like that with a mouse. i feel like the mouse will feel less comfortable with the way you fight here.

mau5eum
06-18-2015, 07:21 PM
the reason i think a controller would work better with this game is because with a controller you can move the RS (right stick) to the left and it gets stuck when you reach the limit of the stick. and if you let go it snaps to center. this doesnt work like that with a mouse.

If they make it so mouse movement changes your stance once locked on why would we need some form of a limit?

You move the mouse in the appropriate direction and hold it still.

RakeVillain
06-19-2015, 03:26 PM
I hope that we get to taste the game before it releases so that I can test both variants (M&K and controller) so that I find out which one feels more like it. I think Ubisoft won't disappoint because they're full of experience in making all kinds of games and although The Art of Battle was created for controller in the first place I think it will be loads of fun the other way too because I have a lot of side buttons on my mouse and keyboard is good for combos. And maybe WASD is a better option for movements than sticks.

SnorriUlversson
06-19-2015, 04:15 PM
The Art of Battle was designed for controllers in mind, so I wouldn't be too optimistic about how it translates to M&K. I'm assuming you'll get better results with higher DPI mice, though.

Totally agree, there will be solutions for PC users, but for sure controllrs will be more confortable and performing IMHO

Islam_Ahmadiyya
06-19-2015, 04:38 PM
I think you are better off with a controller.

This game doesn't seem to be like shooters, where the best twitch reactor will get the kill first.

This game focuses on pressing the right button at the right time, and the controller fits that job perfectly. Controller players might do better jobs than PC players.

It's obviously flipped when we talk about shooters, because PC shooters have a mouse and they can instantly aim at their target, whereas a controller player has to drag the analog to their target, so controllers would be inferior to mouse in shooters.

But this game isn't like that. This game requires you to press specific buttons in a special way in the right moment, so I honestly think you are better off plugging in an XBone or PS4 controller to your PC, everything will be laid out for you.

Until we get an official consensus of what the PC controls actually are, I'm gonna have to go with the controller.

Dispatcher.
06-19-2015, 04:46 PM
More than vibrations, probably a controller would be better on PC looking to the gart of battle system; honestly using a gamepad seems more performing to me rather than keyboard and gaming mouse in this case...but we'll see

Mouse and keyboard rules for shooters. But I agree. With this game I think a controller would be better. It looks like having two analog sticks are needed and precision aiming isn't so necessary.

hatchery
06-19-2015, 07:11 PM
I'm definitely planning on playing with a controller at this point - I wouldn't play Smash Bros or Burnout with a mouse and keyboard, and I wouldn't play Team Fortress or LoL with a controller. I can imagine a workable kb&m scheme here but the controller setup looks better.

RakeVillain
06-19-2015, 07:21 PM
I'm definitely planning on playing with a controller at this point - I wouldn't play Smash Bros or Burnout with a mouse and keyboard, and I wouldn't play Team Fortress or LoL with a controller. I can imagine a workable kb&m scheme here but the controller setup looks better.

I totally agree with you

McEspada
06-19-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm sure it would funktion with the keyboard and mouse,
but there needs to be a certain unchangeable mouse speed to guide the weapon.
Otherwise it would be impossible to block or attack in a correct way.

Kenji_Hattori
06-19-2015, 10:55 PM
I might play with a controller but if they do have a good set up for the KB + Mouse then i will use that. What they could do is movement is WASD, When you lock onto a target you use the mouse to change the direction you will be attacking/blocking, and the left mouse and right mouse could be R1 and R2, respectively.

SnorriUlversson
06-20-2015, 03:30 PM
I might play with a controller but if they do have a good set up for the KB + Mouse then i will use that. What they could do is movement is WASD, When you lock onto a target you use the mouse to change the direction you will be attacking/blocking, and the left mouse and right mouse could be R1 and R2, respectively.

Could be a solution and not too bad; it's quite intuitive

Kenji_Hattori
06-20-2015, 06:56 PM
Could be a solution and not too bad; it's quite intuitive

Its simple, obviously i do not know all the things you can do and how they are done on a controller, but it would be fairly simple to put it into M&K.

AherasSTRG
06-20-2015, 11:55 PM
Seriously, I adore the idea behind For Honor. And I hate to be a party crusher, but, guys, let me give you a heads up as a lifelong PC gamer:

When it comes to Ubisoft and PC games, the gameplay, the controls and the feeling should be the LAST thing you should worry about.

Kenji_Hattori
06-21-2015, 12:08 AM
Seriously, I adore the idea behind For Honor. And I hate to be a party crusher, but, guys, let me give you a heads up as a lifelong PC gamer:

When it comes to Ubisoft and PC games, the gameplay, the controls and the feeling should be the LAST thing you should worry about.

What should we worry about then? I dont play Ubisoft games on PC, at least i never have, always played them on Console.

mau5eum
06-21-2015, 12:18 AM
for sure controllrs will be more confortable and performing IMHO
I find that highly unlikely.

SnorriUlversson
06-21-2015, 07:33 AM
I find that highly unlikely.

We'll see, as I have already said, I hope to use M&K rather than a controller

Fatal-Feit
06-21-2015, 10:08 AM
What should we worry about then? I dont play Ubisoft games on PC, at least i never have, always played them on Console.

Late PC ports, really. I wouldn't be surprise if For Honor on PC comes out a month later.

Other than that, there's not much to be worried about, IMO. Uplay isn't bad, I honestly believe people give it too much **** nowadays.

AFR0_DESPERADO
06-22-2015, 03:53 AM
Im just gonna use a controller, but I could see it being hold right click to lock on move mouse left right or up to position sword

AherasSTRG
06-22-2015, 09:52 AM

Optimization issues. Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed Unity have been some of the worst ports ever created. Bugs, glitches, low framerates, freezes, connection issues. The Crew was also a mediocre port with a lot of connection issues. The only thing they 've managed to pull out respectably the past 3 years is Far Cry 4.

Arkmuth
06-22-2015, 01:55 PM
I think it will work fine in PC, as far as I saw in the Art of Battle article, there is not that much that a M+K cant do.

You move with WASD, you use TAB to lock/unlock on objectives(enter in Art of Battle mode). Instead of holding you press it to lock and press it to unlock.

The mouse moves the camera except when you Lock on objectives then it selects the guard.

Q and E = Change Objectives when lock on

Left Click = Light attack

Rigth Click = Heavy attack

Shift = sprint

C= dodge

F = Guard break

R/T = Finishers

1,2,3,4 = Feats

Z or X or whatever key = Emotes

And that is basiclly all I think, and if you have side buttons for your mouse it is even easier, giving you the chance to dodge and guard break with your mouse or whatever you prefer to do with your mouse.

The only thing you lose is the vibration, but for me that is not a problem.

Hi fellow warriors :rolleyes:

I was looking just for this discussion. I'm not comfortable with controllers and I do hope the game runs in KM as the uuser above explained.

Actually I think moving the whole hand (wrist) could feel more realistic while blocking, like moving your sword. Problem is that details other user mentioned, the stick goes back to center, mouse does not, we could end needing extra large pads :rolleyes:

Chivalry does a great job on block and attack, where your mouse drag and WASD movement while attacking matter.

I was hoping for Chivy 2 announcement and I think I got something better in this E3.

Can we get any official explanation for KM controls?

Thanks.

Me2gud4U
06-22-2015, 02:13 PM
I dont see how this is difficult.
"`"or Tab is toggle combat-lock and just like in the console version: when you're locked on a target, your camera control is off. so you can just use the mouse to choose attack direction.
yes its more handy using r-stick but its not hard to implement for the pc.

Fatal-Feit
06-22-2015, 02:43 PM
I'm more concerned about how rebind-able keys are than the setup itself. If the setup doesn't work, I can always tinker with it until it does. Hell, I always tinker with the controls anyways. But yeah, assuming the mouse is used to control the direction of our weapon stance during lock-on mode, would that eliminate the possibility of maybe binding the direction stances to the keyboard, or even vice versa?

Eiddard
06-22-2015, 02:57 PM
I'm more concerned about how rebind-able keys are than the setup itself. If the setup doesn't work, I can always tinker with it until it does. Hell, I always tinker with the controls anyways. But yeah, assuming the mouse is used to control the direction of our weapon stance during lock-on mode, would that eliminate the possibility of maybe binding the direction stances to the keyboard, or even vice versa?

I think if you add a lock stance key it would be fine to use your mouse, for example the space.

Lets say you are in combat mode, you want to defend left, so you your mouse move to the left and then hold space, while holding space you would lock the guard in left, you stop holding and you are free to change your guard again.

Maybe the mouse wheel could serve to do it. For mouses with lateral buttons is certainly easy.

I am not really worry about it actually, I think the devs will find a way to adapt it to K+M just fine.

Other way to do it is by interface, with a middle position for the mouse, so you have to move the mouse to certain position in the screen to change the guard, with one neutral position in the middle. The problem with that is the size of such interface, too big means that you will be too slow but if it is too small it means you lose precision and can easyli missplay, but yeah, you just need to find the right size, if we are able to change it, it woulb be great since every person might have his personal preference for it.

And those are 2 ways to fix it that I just though right now, the devs might find some better way to do it.

RakeVillain
06-22-2015, 04:57 PM
Totally off-topic, yesterday me and my friend were walking around and stumbled upon some guy who was carrying some kind of swords, we offered him cash so he gave the swords to us and when we got home we messed around and made a little duel lol so if For Honor manages to recreate that feeling I'll be like "Take my money!" lol

Sonuchi
06-22-2015, 08:56 PM
After reading up on everyone's comments, I can see good and bad things about this game being on PC.

From what I've seen so far, the game seems to work well and make more sense for a "controller" style game. The game can still come out on PC and don't get me wrong, I'm a gamer of all trades (Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, PC, etc.), but the keyboard and mouse doesn't seem to match well with their "Art of Battle" system. Yes, they could probably revise the system and who knows, maybe a modder will come up with the perfect layout, but as I'm thinking this through as a designer, it would be hard to make use of the camera along with the character movements and battle commands.

Now, this is just me thinking this through really quick, but maybe they could something where the lock on to the enemy player would change the mouse movements to represent sword location while at the same time, the WASD keys would just move the player around. Blocking and moving mouse places location of sword...and same could be said on attacking since you'll be pressing/holding a button to execute attacks. So, maybe keyboard button press to initiate guard stance and move mouse to block whatever side...and then left click hold to initiate attack stance and mouse direction to represent side of attack. Left click hold is a light attack and left AND right click hold is strong attack. After all, you're initiating an attack and cannot accidentally "attack" in a way.

Just a quick thought.

Fatal-Feit
06-22-2015, 09:21 PM
^ I don't get it. PCs can use controllers too.

Eiddard
06-22-2015, 09:55 PM
^ I don't get it. PCs can use controllers too.

Yes, but some people like me like to use keyboard and mouse. So we want the system well adapted to it.

Fatal-Feit
06-22-2015, 10:30 PM
I still don't get it. How does having the option of M&K gimp the PC version in any way? The X1 controller is still a plug in and play, let alone the others.

Kenji_Hattori
06-23-2015, 12:06 AM
Yes, but some people like me like to use keyboard and mouse. So we want the system well adapted to it.

I dont think it would be to hard. I mean its easy to have the mouse still be light and heavy attacks, using the mouse to choose what direction you block.

SnorriUlversson
06-23-2015, 08:50 AM
I dont think it would be to hard. I mean its easy to have the mouse still be light and heavy attacks, using the mouse to choose what direction you block.

Agree, if you consider also a gaming mouse it could start to be interesting, keybinding feats etc.

Arkmuth
06-23-2015, 01:39 PM
I still don't get it. How does having the option of M&K gimp the PC version in any way? The X1 controller is still a plug in and play, let alone the others.

It is a matter of taste, KM is more comfortable for me. And since the game is gonna be out for PC it is logic that we ask for proper PC implementation. time will tell, beta will tell us how it works out....

Fatal-Feit
06-23-2015, 01:48 PM
It is a matter of taste, KM is more comfortable for me. And since the game is gonna be out for PC it is logic that we ask for proper PC implementation. time will tell, beta will tell us how it works out....

Well, yeah, but that's not what I'm talking about. I mean, even if the game is more optimized for controllers, I still don't get how the PC version will supposedly be a lesser experience. It is your choice to use the M&K, but the option for a controller will always be there.

OutlawDr
06-25-2015, 08:22 AM
I think if a dev team properly supports K/M, there are very few games where K/M isn't superior to controller. Even in For Honor I don't see it being any different.

Solid_Altair
06-25-2015, 09:03 AM
I think a dot inside the threeway icon would be fine. You shift the mouse towards the direction you want and it doesn't matter if you drag the mouse a lot, because the dot would be contained in the closed icon. This way the mouse would work very similarly to the right stick. I just think it would be harder to play without a HUD for your character, in comparison to using a controller.

PigsR4Eating
06-26-2015, 04:49 AM
I don't understand why there are so many replies. All they need to do is allow keyboard/mouse players to bind keys, problem solved. I don't want them to waste development time trying to get the same "feel" as a controller. If I get this game for PC I will use a controller like the majority of others.