PDA

View Full Version : Another game that looks good but I wont buy since it required Uplay

vxtaylorxv
06-16-2015, 12:22 PM
I dont understand why uplay even exists since its only purpose is to get in the way of enjoying gaming

Niphrentil
06-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Does Steam get in your way of gaming? uplay is just another platform/luncher, I don't see what the big deal is...!

Laminblakeman
06-16-2015, 02:25 PM
Having their own launcher helps against hackers and thieves. It's not full proof but its better than nothing.

Jondavila19
06-16-2015, 08:33 PM
why does it matter to you? they dont cost or anything

firekingster
06-16-2015, 09:21 PM
With Uplay, Ubisoft doesn't have to try to meet other platform's expectations or requirements (Steam). Through Uplay, Ubisoft can have full control of the games running on their servers and don't have to rely on others. Its not such a big deal. Also, the devs will get more direct support through Uplay because if they sell a game on steam, Valve would also get some of the profit. Look at Witcher 3 on GOG for example.

Uhgtred
01-13-2016, 12:32 PM
the deal is that steam is MUCH better than Uplay

Pope138
01-13-2016, 09:04 PM
This is pretty much my first Ubisoft game. Is there something I should know? Is Uplay as nefarious as OP makes it sound (without any details or examples)?

Fatal-Feit
01-14-2016, 12:24 AM
This is pretty much my first Ubisoft game. Is there something I should know? Is Uplay as nefarious as OP makes it sound (without any details or examples)?

Not even close. Stream, Uplay, Origin, there's virtually no difference between them anymore when you're playing a game. Uplay used to suck a long LONG time ago when it required you to be online 24/7, but it's relatively fine now. There's plenty of updates, etc.

Pope138
01-14-2016, 04:24 PM
Not even close. Stream, Uplay, Origin, there's virtually no difference between them anymore when you're playing a game. Uplay used to suck a long LONG time ago when it required you to be online 24/7, but it's relatively fine now. There's plenty of updates, etc.

Good to hear. Thanks.

theinkBot
01-14-2016, 09:06 PM
Not even close. Stream, Uplay, Origin, there's virtually no difference between them anymore when you're playing a game.
I beg to differ. I don't know what it is about Uplay, but whenever it is running, it hogs performance like crazy. When Uplay is running, if I start up a program, or go between fullscreen/windowed, and similar activities, everything (except sound) just stops for half a minute. Maybe even a full minute sometimes, hard to recall specifics.

I've checked the same actions with Uplay running and with Uplay off, and the problem is definitely Uplay. I don't know why this happens, and it's extremely annoying. I'm willing to suck it up for the For Honor test periods, but if the PS4 version runs at a decent 60FPS at release, I'm going with that.

Fatal-Feit
01-15-2016, 05:29 PM
I beg to differ. I don't know what it is about Uplay, but whenever it is running, it hogs performance like crazy. When Uplay is running, if I start up a program, or go between fullscreen/windowed, and similar activities, everything (except sound) just stops for half a minute. Maybe even a full minute sometimes, hard to recall specifics.

Is this an occurring issue for other users as well here? I've never had this problem and I've changed my computer before.

I've checked the same actions with Uplay running and with Uplay off, and the problem is definitely Uplay. I don't know why this happens, and it's extremely annoying. I'm willing to suck it up for the For Honor test periods, but if the PS4 version runs at a decent 60FPS at release, I'm going with that.

Do you know the specifics of how much performance it chokes up? My computer runs games at the expected performance with Uplay.

Juguard
08-04-2016, 07:27 PM

I run a 6 year old computer(i930) with a 780ti I bought i n 2014, and I never get problems like everyone complains about with Uplay and Origin, or Steam. My system is fluid and smooth. Games run at full settings 60fps or more, only very few games run under 60fps, and thats only because I like to max everything out, and also like to record with nvidia while playing. Steam got shoved in your face too, when Half Life 2 got released.

Don't give up trying to fix the issues you are having with Uplay, Origin, or Steam.

Sinpox90
08-04-2016, 08:03 PM
I dont understand why uplay even exists since its only purpose is to get in the way of enjoying gaming

so you wont buy it because of uplay....but have an account on this side?....your boykott is a littlebit meaningless at this point^^

Percival10ghz
08-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Because if you own UBI you won't like to share 30% of your earnings with steam . I understand and anyone in that position would do the same.

mrpotato44
08-04-2016, 11:13 PM
I have been trying to get legitimate support for over 7 hours. Ubisoft support sucks ***. If any developer can help me, that would be great.

kingzbe
08-05-2016, 03:42 PM
i dont know wy u would hate uplay is the best thing next to steam it works great and has the best games out there

Vakris_One
08-13-2016, 05:07 PM
Well there is one huge very significant difference between Uplay and Steam in my opinion. And that is that on Steam you can share games with family and friends so they can play them in the same way you would have been able to do in the past with buying a game on disc and installing it on your PC which a family member also uses, or a friend can come over to play. No such thing on Uplay which I find really behind the times in terms of customer satisfaction.

Kind of justifies the mock name "U-don't-play". Other than that I've never had much of a problem with Uplay but that one issue is a pretty big issue to me.

Fatal-Feit
08-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Sharing is still a new feature for Steam, but there's no denying that Uplay lacks that feature. When you come down to it, Steam offers more freedom and features than Uplay (like streaming to friends as well). My point was that the games themselves perform fine when you're playing them. I don't recall anyone having any issue with Uplay during the FHTT.

Also, I've never heard ''U-don't-play'' before. LOL!

Vakris_One
08-13-2016, 05:37 PM
Sharing is still a new feature for Steam, but there's no denying that Uplay lacks that feature. When you come down to it, Steam offers more freedom and features than Uplay (like streaming to friends as well). My point was that the games themselves perform fine when you're playing them. I don't recall anyone having any issue with Uplay during the FHTT.

Also, I've never heard ''U-don't-play'' before. LOL!
Heh. I first heard the phrase "U-don't-play" from a gaming friend who had a problem with the Uplay client having to be online back in the early days when being online was fast becoming a requirement to install most new PC games. Angry Joe also used the phrase in his review of Watchdogs which was funny.

iHunny
08-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Well, whatever your opinion is on Uplay the game will still be on Uplay. If thats to big of a deal for you, well, tough luck for you I guess.

ShuyinVardiz
08-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Basically dont like Uplay since these stuff really gets annoying (Steam, Origin, Uplay, its REALLY annoying and there are more).
But For Honor is a game I always wanted even though I wasnt aware of that and I'm not going to let it pass by without playing the sh** out of it until I have a few hundert hours of playtime. Hopefully they'll add further content (maps, classes, campaign, ...) after release. For Honor could get a big title for years if not ruined - and so far it looks and feels awesome.

SirThorn
08-15-2016, 09:43 AM
I agree with everyone here saying Uplay is just as annoying as Steam, Origin and others. I really hated steam when I first got in contact with it for half life 2, and I still hate it to this day. I always uninstall these platforms after being finished with the game, because they are simply obstructive and annoying.

theinkBot
08-15-2016, 11:29 AM
After switching to a new system I no longer have the problems I had with UPlay before, so it's no longer an issue for me personally in that way.

GL0XX
08-15-2016, 04:44 PM
It could be worse... It could be sold on the "Windows Store".

PowerSenpai
08-16-2016, 02:04 AM
I honestly don't see Uplay as a big deal. Sure, it is not my main platform, but it works relatively well, and has most features i need. It has not really done anything to aggravate me.

NitroMidgets
08-17-2016, 02:02 AM
I am certainly no fan of Uplay but I haven't seen it take up any extra resources on my system. I over built my system so it might be for all I know and it just isn't enough to have any impact on performance.
After getting wrongly banned from The Division and having to wait a month and a day before even getting a half assed apology I won't be purchasing it for PC.

MathiasCB
08-17-2016, 02:49 AM
CAN U-PLAY put a sound when you get an invite????
I always miss invites becuase there no notifaction?

And how about option to join a friend while hes playing.

Haha, I miss invites all the time. :(

However... I've never really had any real problems with Uplay.
Always felt pretty comfortable to me.

VodkaSlam
08-17-2016, 06:17 PM
Uplay is not really a big issue, but If it bothers you that much you can always have the game pop up through Steam and once you click to play it itll launch Uplay simultaneously while having steam up also or just buy it on Steam. The only difference is Steam wont have the Collectors Edition.