View Full Version : Everything right and everything wrong with ACS

dimbismp
06-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Good:
-London seems cool
-Graphics at level of ACU,maybe better
-First (main games)playable female protagonist

Bad
-The game doesn't seem like AC at all.I was happy with the direction they took with Unity,but now they threw everything to the garbage bin.Obviously,it may turn out like AC4,but the game feels like historical GTA:
A)Carriage chases in the middle of the city
B)Running a gang->everyone knows who you are
C)Stealth being toned down to AC3 levels,protagonist is an one man army again
I mean,where is the "Hide in plain sight" tenet?
-Combat is super fast and glitchy.Plus,the enemies just stand there taking numerous hits.If they wanted to get to the close combat direction,they should have tried to emulate Naughty dog's closed combat,which is intense.
-As i said,stealth is being toned down
-Rope launcher is unbelievably OP,and it kills one of the few things that AC does really well:parkour
-Templars wearing capes with the Templar Cross,and running in train stations.Even Cesare wouldn't do that :P
-Evie has the same weapons with Jacob as far as we know

All in all,i am pessimistic about the game,but i am going to buy it,giving Ubi another chance.This situation is the exact opposite with last year,when everyone was extremely hyped.It may turn out that ACS will be a great game,but despite the failings,ACU had the right(IMO) direction and i cannot say the same for ACS.Also,i will try to go dark now,so see you in October-November(provided that i'll succeed)

Shahkulu101
06-16-2015, 11:50 AM
It's just looks bizarre.

I think the whole super-fast, action-first gameplay is a knee jerk reaction to Unity's more methodical approach being criticized as boring.

LoyalACFan
06-16-2015, 11:51 AM
Agree with everything, except I don't think London looks that cool TBH. Too open and spread-out. I mean, I know the streets have to be wider than in the past, but I wouldn't have minded a bit of fakery to tailor it more for the gameplay. Unfortunately I think their workaround was the line launcher tool, which looks like a total bore and cop-out.

Defalt221
06-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Agree with everything, except I don't think London looks that cool TBH. Too open and spread-out. I mean, I know the streets have to be wider than in the past, but I wouldn't have minded a bit of fakery to tailor it more for the gameplay. Unfortunately I think their workaround was the line launcher tool, which looks like a total bore and cop-out.

Biggest disappointment : No multiple cities. Just one London. And game takes place in one year. Since when did they start so small?

dxsxhxcx
06-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Biggest disappointment : No multiple cities. Just one London. And game takes place in one year. Since when did they start so small?

I cringe every time they advertise the current setting is "x" times bigger than the previous one... there was nothing wrong with the size of the cities before and IMO multiple cities are MUCH better than a single giant one...

Shahkulu101
06-16-2015, 01:33 PM

London's the biggest city they've ever built though.

And it taking place in one year doesn't necessarily mean shorter, just no awkward time skips.

pacmanate
06-16-2015, 02:02 PM

And it taking place in one year doesn't necessarily mean shorter, just no awkward time skips.

Biggest city doesn't mean much. Think about how wide the streets are and how big the Thames will be.

Xstantin
06-16-2015, 02:51 PM
Bad
-The game doesn't seem like AC at all.I was happy with the direction they took with Unity,but now they threw everything to the garbage bin.Obviously,it may turn out like AC4,but the game feels like historical GTA:
C)Stealth being toned down to AC3 levels,protagonist is an one man army again
-Combat is super fast and glitchy.Plus,the enemies just stand there taking numerous hits.If they wanted to get to the close combat direction,they should have tried to emulate Naughty dog's closed combat,which is intense.
-As i said,stealth is being toned down
-Rope launcher is unbelievably OP,and it kills one of the few things that AC does really well:parkour
-Templars wearing capes with the Templar Cross,and running in train stations.Even Cesare wouldn't do that :P
-Evie has the same weapons with Jacob as far as we know

All in all,i am pessimistic about the game,but i am going to buy it,giving Ubi another chance.This situation is the exact opposite with last year,when everyone was extremely hyped.It may turn out that ACS will be a great game,but despite the failings,ACU had the right(IMO) direction and i cannot say the same for ACS.Also,i will try to go dark now,so see you in October-November(provided that i'll succeed)

I guess I'm one of the few people who liked Unity so yeah, agreed.
- About the carriages - I hope they don't become necessary in every mission for some spectacular chase (I wasn't a big fan of carriages in Revelations and having replayed ACIII recently anything horse related is just not a thing I want to see)
- I'm not sure what to make of the gangs yet
- Maybe Evie will be the stealthy one, I'll probably try to play it the same way as Unity anyway
- Agreed about combat
- Templar capes thing is a bit weird I guess, but I thought red and green gang members looked even sillier than that
- I thought London looked nice but I do prefer older cities and Paris. I guess I'll have to look for some concept art and wait for one of these Horizon trailers or whatever they are called to make up my mind

m4r-k7
06-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Good:
London
Grappling hook
Cool / period accurate outfit
Dual protagonist

Bad:
Combat
Weird animations
Emphasis on carriages / vehicles
Looks like hardly any stealth
Emphasis on brawling looks weird and not assassin like
Doesn't retain the good elements of Unity - emphasis on assassinations, harder combat

Syndicate looks pretty awful and its a shame as Victorian London has been one of my most requested settings since the very first game.

Sushiglutton
06-16-2015, 03:16 PM
The setting is cool and the overall look of the city is great imo. I can see the zipline being fun to use from time to time for sure. But like I said in a previous thread I think adding AC on top is doing the game a disservice. Gang warfare and silent assassin don't mix imo. They should have done a Victorian London "gangster" drama. Combat looks comically bad. The bold guy just stands there. Seems like they have also brought back double counter kills (tap a button to kill two enemies) which is a stupid decision.

In short I think your list dimb is very good!

Shahkulu101
06-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Biggest city doesn't mean much. Think about how wide the streets are and how big the Thames will be.

Well we'll be riding the Thames on boats!

Wide streets could be a problem I suppose, they're there to accommodate carriages - which look boring...

Sushiglutton
06-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Could you turn off those colored contours in Unity? Because they look ridiculous.

Megas_Doux
06-16-2015, 03:43 PM
The good????

Well London looks super alive...

The bad????

- Poorly executed action linear stuff. I did say that the purist focus of Unity could have been more varied, but due to the bad reception, they went the other way around.

- All who said that Unity´s combat was hard - I cannot emphasize enough how ABSURD that claim is- got what they wanted. Enemies now stand there waiting to be killed. Adding further insult to injury, the game is set in 1868, when freaking guns already existed, making combat even more ridiculous.....

- I get it, AC games in terms of the atmosphere of the cities aim for less cliched environments, but with Syndicate they just took it too far. I did enjoy Acre´s over the top depressing atmosphere. I wanted to see a foggy allies and great weather effects -which were absent in Unity- while a thrilling music played instead Los Santos in the XIX century.

dimbismp
06-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Also,no interiors so far...
They either don't advertize them because it is obvious that they will return...
Or because there almost none/far fewer interiors than ACU

Farlander1991
06-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Seems like they have also brought back double counter kills (tap a button to kill two enemies) which is a stupid decision.

It didn't look like double counter kills, more like double finishing moves. In ACU when you've defeated an enemy he's 'stunned' for a bit, and you can kill him or knock him out unlethaly with a finishing move (and receive Creed points for that). Both enemies were in the 'stunned' mode before the double kill happened, so I think that's just a special finishing move for even more extra points.

bitebug2003
06-16-2015, 04:03 PM
We've only seen 2 missions - granted, both are chase sequences.

We also don't know how far into the game these missions take place.

I doubt Jacob starts with a full gang, also the children -- are they part of the gang - there is an orphanage - do Jacob and Evie run it?.

Combat looks stiff, and I don't like the CQC style combat.
I really don't like the grappling hook (hookshot) it doesn't fit with the AC ethos and too Batman-esque for my taste.

On first and second impressions it doesn't feel like an AC game.

Namikaze_17
06-16-2015, 04:52 PM

Well, where else are they suppose to be? In the Thames? :rolleyes: :p

I'm sure most common folk recognize him as only the gang leader; Only the Templar knew what he really was, and that was after Jacob put on his hood.

protagonist is an one man army again

As I said yesterday, this pleases some, not others.

He's reckless; he appears not to be focused on that, but simply on getting the job done.

-Rope launcher is unbelievably OP,

Not the first time the Assassin has something OP, but I somewhat see where it's an issue to people.

it kills one of the few things that AC does really well:parkour

Well we haven't seen that much parkour to come to that conclusion, have we? :rolleyes:

-Templars wearing capes with the Templar Cross,and running in train stations.

Meh, I dislike both Orders' need to outrageously symbolize themselves, so the feeling is mutual.

But don't most to every Templar ( including Cesare), normally run anywhere possible to get to safety? What's so different now?

Evie has the same weapons with Jacob as far as we know

Yeah, that is kind of a letdown.

Though I recall a figure of hers having some dagger-like weapon - I wonder why that wasn't shown? :(

---

Did anyone notice the Templar's speech in the end? There was no white room or "memory viewing" present with Jacob apparently reacting to it. ( hence him looking to the distance)

I thought that seemed neat and added an ominous feel.

RVSage
06-16-2015, 05:26 PM
The Good:

1.Dual protagonists.
2. Rope launcher
3. Evie's stealth contrasting Jacob's direct approach
4. Vehicles/Trains
Special Note: How can Victorian Era be without carriages??? If they were not usable.. I would see the same complain saying..No interaction with carriages Nothing new

The Bad:
1. Clunky animations
I believe this is WIP animations looked different from walk through 1

2. Similar game plays i.e Chase has been demoed.. More variety was expected

3. I noticed stutter here and there.. Hope they are ironed out...

Altair1789
06-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Good:
London
More color than Unity
I like the carriages
Fist fighting (maybe not HB fighting)
Throwing knives
Train fighting (it could use some work though)
Evie, thankfully, seems like the complete opposite of Jacob
Exploiting the BS "surrogate system" mechanics

Bad:
Fighting looks way too easy. It doesn't even look that good like it did in AC3 and AC4. Combat in general looks bad
Doesn't look very "stable"
Gang stuff, makes a notorious protagonist
Not much creative innovation honestly. There are trains, carriages, a zipline made as a quick solution to wider streets, but this stuff isn't really surprising for this setting. They're going pretty radical with the changes, but staying conservative enough to avoid the more interesting stuff.

On a side note, I can't really see them going the extra mile for certain things. I would want a story that's relevant to the overarching story, some twists, some extra missions related to things like the helix menu, etc. I don't think I'll hate this game, but it doesn't look like I'll be surprised by it or love it. They're not ADDING much to the game now. It's just not getting me hyped. Hopefully there's an introduction of a resonant story mechanic soon, but if not, I'm going to lose interest in this series

There's got to be a white room though... I don't know why the templar was talking to Jacob without a whiteroom, but they were working on someone's white room during the reveal interviews. Maybe it's been taken out, for God knows what reason

Defalt221
06-16-2015, 07:01 PM

Instead of BIG, they should aim for density (like Watch Dogs but better implemented) something like:
- 90% of buildings can be entered.
- Killing polices will make you wanted by the government and elite soldiers with stronger weapons will be deployed at checkpoints, assassin's will be hired to kill you and your brotherhood will demote you+try to stop you etc.
- And npc behavior will shoft depending on how to interact with cities.
- Destrucible construction ites, breakable walls (with bombs) and sinkable boats, sing;e-horse riding to out-pace carriages.

D.I.D.
06-16-2015, 07:40 PM
On the issue of a Templar running around with a virtual target on his back, and any other qualms about this mission, remember that this mission might not be in the game at all. Think back to the E3 co-op demo -- you never got to play that, because it was there to be a spoiler-free example of the kinds of things you might do.

Farlander1991
06-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Speaking of, I remember when people saw AC4 E3 demo, everybody was, 'OMFG, it's all scripted again, it's gonna suck, booo, no freedom, no nothing, ararararaagh' :rolleyes:

Aphex_Tim
06-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Ah yes, the Assassins. Who were those guys again?

SofaJockey
06-17-2015, 12:34 AM
I was disappointed by the gameplay trailer.

Until I got my hands on an actual demo for 20 mins today.
What I saw and tried, I liked.
Doing is much more satisfying than watching.

harsab
06-17-2015, 12:38 AM

All the people that have played/tested the game in their countries are saying this. Not one bad review yet. This seems to be good news & now finding out present day maybe back, i'm looking forward to this.

Journey93
06-17-2015, 01:18 AM

Really? Damm I hope you are right
I was also disappointed with the gameplay trailer and I really hope AC:S is awesome

Altair1789
06-17-2015, 03:32 AM
I'm sure everyone had fun with it, but there can still be problems. Not only with gameplay. I don't really know why people are always so worried about gameplay in this game, it always turns out great. I'm worried about the story, it seems we'll have nothing but a singular story about twins named Jacob and Evie taking back London for the assassins. I'm looking for more interesting stuff, more content outside of London and Jacob's immediate affairs

I-Like-Pie45
06-17-2015, 03:49 AM
if there isn't any romance between jacob and evie, i hope we at least get some over long catfight missions for evie where she gets down and dusty with lady templar gangsters while pulling their hair and tearing their clothes and scratching their cheeks

it would be a shame to waste an opportunity like that and not do it for the first major release female protagonist