PDA

View Full Version : Can I get an explanation of a certain flight move?

_VR_ScorpionWorm
03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Go to tracks and play the P40vsBf109. Chose and external view and watch the Number 01 P40, the plane does a maneuver that is very interesting. How does one perform such an act. I have looked at the track over and over and still cant quite figure it out. I have looked at the controls and even slowed it down. Is there a way to better explain such an act? I have seen this done only once offline and once online(probably was an accident), does anybody know step by step how to perform this maneuver, and does it help in combat situations?

"We went like this, He went like that, I said to Hollywood 'Where'd he go?', Hollywood said, 'Where'd WHO go'-TOPGUN

_VR_ScorpionWorm
03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Go to tracks and play the P40vsBf109. Chose and external view and watch the Number 01 P40, the plane does a maneuver that is very interesting. How does one perform such an act. I have looked at the track over and over and still cant quite figure it out. I have looked at the controls and even slowed it down. Is there a way to better explain such an act? I have seen this done only once offline and once online(probably was an accident), does anybody know step by step how to perform this maneuver, and does it help in combat situations?

"We went like this, He went like that, I said to Hollywood 'Where'd he go?', Hollywood said, 'Where'd WHO go'-TOPGUN

El Turo
03-23-2004, 12:09 PM
I'm not at home.. can you explain roughly what it looks like and in relationship to his opponent?

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

Zeroneg1
03-23-2004, 01:28 PM
what 'acts' are you talking about? I just viewed it and all I saw were Split-S,immelmans and good old turning and flying? Are you referring to the 'stall maneuver' (towards the end of the track) to quick change your disadvantaged position to an advantage? That is done mostly to do quick turns or lose somebody on your six or make a somebody on your six overshoot you since you know you can reocver quickly after several turns. OF course this depends on your skills.

I believe that's a time hornoed tradition but only with enough altitude.

[This message was edited by Zeroneg1 on Tue March 23 2004 at 12:41 PM.]

_VR_ScorpionWorm
03-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Sorry would have responded sooner but I was on Hyperlobby, the maneuver is that stall thing that the pilot does and spins upside down on his yaw axis. I know the rudder is the spinning catalyst but how did the pilot get it to practically stop and then spin. Its looks like an upside down flatspin. I have tried to stall and bank and rudder in different motions and also just the way it show on the clip but I just cant get it right.

maxim26
03-23-2004, 02:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScorpionWorm1:
I have looked at the controls and even slowed it down.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did you do this. Is there any way to get into cockpit of a/c that was piloted not by you?

Xnomad
03-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Just watched it and God knows what that is. He climbs up and does a few barrel rolls and then ends up slighty upside down and spins on his yaw axis. It's like a hammerhead but with the guy spinning like a clock upside down at the peak of his climb.

Strange manouver I think it's dodgy AI FM. This manouver would just get you killed online as you are exposing the largest possible target to your pursuer who is following your climb plus you will lose more speed than he will so even if you could pull this off I would not recommend it.

http://www.xnomad.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig.jpg

_VR_ScorpionWorm
03-23-2004, 02:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxim26:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScorpionWorm1:
I have looked at the controls and even slowed it down.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did you do this. Is there any way to get into cockpit of a/c that was piloted not by you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before you play the track select manual view, its a toggle switch that flips up and down, flip it up and you can change the view manually.

LilHorse
03-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Haven't seen it but I'd be willing to bet it's something that you probably couldn't do in a real P-40. These planes were more like flying tanks than Extra 300s.

JG7_Rall
03-23-2004, 03:35 PM
This was posted before but the plane doing the manuever was a Bf 109 K4.

I think its called a "Cobra" and can be done by some jets with no harm to the pilot, although its one crazy looking maneuver. I wish I could do it in AEP because it would be a great help despite the enormous E bleed.

http://home.comcast.net/~nate.r/Typhoon_Target_resized_copy.jpg
"Son, never ask a man if he is a fighter pilot. If he is, he'll let you know. If he isn't, don't embarrass him."
When in doubt, climb!

knightflyte
03-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Cool manuever. I just looked at it.
He is going staight up till his engine will not carry him forward. As he reaches as high as he can go he goes onto his back and while flat on his back he uses the rudder to change direction. There is NO forward or upward momentum, as all his ENERGY is spent so gravity pulls him down..... but as he falls the air across his surfaces cause him to pivot on his yaw axis.
Hmmmmmmm..... thinking about it .... It cant be JUST his rudder that causes him to turn as he falls because the rudder is in a position to just slice thru the air...(The rudder is not in a position to affect attitude change) yet elevator and aileron DON'T affect change in the roll or pitch.
To make sure it is understood. The P40 is on its back with NO forward or upward momentum. The nose is pointing northward (for example) parallel to the ground, but the pilot spins the plane on the YAW axis till the plane faces south. NO other axis is changed till the manuever is complete.

Chuck_Older
03-23-2004, 04:20 PM
then it must have been engine torque he used to yaw

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash