PDA

View Full Version : Bioluminescence

Blottogg
05-02-2004, 03:11 PM
I was reading an article in May's Discover magazine about bioluminescence which got me thinking (dangerous.) Briefly, many different sea critters can give off light, or luminesce. They often do so when moved or disturbed.

I realize this might not be possible with the current engine, and even if it is, will be very low on the priority list. But the article reminded me of stories I've heard about ships being visible at night due to the bioluminescent sealife stirred up in their wakes. Remember Tom Hanks as Jim Lovell in Apollo 13, talking about being low on gas one night as a Naval Aviator, and finding his carrier by following the glowing wake. According to the article, the last U-boat sunk in WWI was found in the Med the same way.

Again, this isn't a vital piece of code, but would this add to the game? Would it even be possible to include?

Blotto

"Speed is life." - Anon
"Sight is life. Speed is merely groovy." - "Junior"

Blottogg
05-02-2004, 03:11 PM
I was reading an article in May's Discover magazine about bioluminescence which got me thinking (dangerous.) Briefly, many different sea critters can give off light, or luminesce. They often do so when moved or disturbed.

I realize this might not be possible with the current engine, and even if it is, will be very low on the priority list. But the article reminded me of stories I've heard about ships being visible at night due to the bioluminescent sealife stirred up in their wakes. Remember Tom Hanks as Jim Lovell in Apollo 13, talking about being low on gas one night as a Naval Aviator, and finding his carrier by following the glowing wake. According to the article, the last U-boat sunk in WWI was found in the Med the same way.

Again, this isn't a vital piece of code, but would this add to the game? Would it even be possible to include?

Blotto

"Speed is life." - Anon
"Sight is life. Speed is merely groovy." - "Junior"

olaleier
05-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Ties nicely in with the St Elmo's fire thread:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=745106973

Both are "would-be-nice-if" features, and would surely grab the attention of reviewers etc.

This particular one might be abit easier than St Elmos fire, if the ship's wake texture/effect just includes some white/yellow pixels.

Would be a sweet touch. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

==================================
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v30/olaleier/cobrasig.jpg
==================================
Marvin in hyperlobby

heywooood
05-03-2004, 09:53 PM
I'll take "bioluminescence" for 100, Alec.

In San Francisco - at the beach at night.. you can see this effect for miles.

What are cross-dressers with flashlights?

dingdingding ding!!! the DAILY DOUBLE!

VW-IceFire
05-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Wow never heard of that happening before either. I mean I knew there were plenty of sea critters capable of creating their own light, thats not surprising...the fact that it would illuminate in ships wake trails and that sort of thing...cool!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

AcesHigh_AVG
05-04-2004, 09:40 PM
There is a story of a WWII pilot who found the carrier on a moonless night by following its lighted wake.

heywooood
05-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Tom Hanks character in Apollo 13 Jim Lovell recounts finding his way back to the carrier after his radio and RDF crapped out.. then the lights in the cockpit and his nav lights went out (electrical short) and only because of the pitch darkness could he see the phosphorescent wake... flying a Banshee? I think. Korean - not WWII unless I am mistaken.

its well told in the film

We actually get this effect along the coast in SO.Cal caused by wave action whenever there is a lot of plankton built-up.. the sea kinda glows.. it doesnt happen as often as it used to though.

[This message was edited by heywooood on Tue May 04 2004 at 08:58 PM.]

PlaneEater
05-04-2004, 10:32 PM
It was either a Banshee or a Cougar. Can't remember which--it's been a while since I read Lost Moon.

We've taken my dad's boat out for nightfishing off the Sunshine Coast in Canada on vacation a few times. All he has on that are a pair of 125 Yamahas, and just doing 40 knts, you can see the green plume in the prop wake for miles, and that's on the ground. Probably much, much farther in the air.