PDA

View Full Version : Our new modern day protagonist awaits? (Spoilers)

Sorrosyss
06-13-2015, 03:25 PM
[WARNING: This topic has been updated with the events of Syndicate]

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140316190854/assassinscreed/images/thumb/6/6f/Galina_Voronina.jpg/250px-Galina_Voronina.jpg

As a background, Galina Voronina first appeared on the Initiates website in March 2014. At the time many people were interested in the character, but there was little to tie her in to the greater picture of the series. I believe if we look a little closer now, we can see now that she may yet play a much bigger role, and very much appears to be taking on the vacated role left by Desmond. As so many have lamented the absence of a voiced modern day protagonist, is Galina the answer we are looking for?

The Eve Connection

Following Dead Kings, the theories and interest in the original First Civilization hybrid Eve have been reborn. We cannot then ignore the events of Galina joining the main brotherhood. Her mother supposedly spoke with Eve from within a Russian Animus, and in her efforts to rediscover her, subjected each and every member of the Russian Brotherhood to the Animus to rediscover her.

If the search for sages continues, and indeed one may have some connection to Eve, the logical conclusion is that Abstergo will eventually somehow locate the original Eve. If Galina does have some connection as well, say as a reincarnation of Eve - like a sage, this could certainly play into the larger modern day story.

http://i.imgur.com/YwYtb6A.jpg

The Bleeding Effect

Every member of the Russian Brotherhood fell to madness from the Bleeding Effect, save for Galina. She, like Desmond before her, absorbed her ancestors' skills becoming a highly dangerous natural assassin. We are led to believe this is highly unusual, and again shows her uniqueness from a storytelling standpoint. According to her database entry in Syndicate, she is holding conversations with her unseen deceased sister, which would certainly make for some interesting playable sections.

The Koh-I-Noor

It has been widely suggested that the Koh-I-Noor will somehow play a part in the downfall of Juno. It apparently has the ability to unite several Pieces of Eden, though to what end is at this point unclear. What we do know is that apparently only a woman can wield it's power - and in turn only one who has a high value of precursor genes. Such as those with eagle vision, like Galina.

http://i.imgur.com/onERbgG.png

Galina Name Drop

In AC Rogue, there are various audio files recorded by Otso Berg. On one such tape titled 'Paris', he even makes mention of encountering Galina in Paris, where his colleague is stabbed by her seven times. She is clearly quite a skilled fighter already, and this was her first canonical appearance outside of Initiates.

Shaun and Rebecca

These two have shown up in one form or another, in just about every game ever since AC2. Whatever your opinion of them, they are drivers of the Assassins' side to the narrative. As such, Galina joining the Altair II ship, where the two of them are now based is an obvious association and quite telling. Whatever modern day we get going forwards will involve the members of this crew, especially given that it contains the ultimate leader of the Assassin Brotherhood - Gavin Banks.

Within the events of Syndicate we see and hear Galina for the first time. As expected, she very much has taken up the position vacated by Desmond, acting as back up to Shaun and Rebecca as an enforcer. We see her deal with Otso Berg, as well as an entire team of operatives with relative ease, a true testament to the powerful abilities of this new Assassin.

http://i.imgur.com/dI8JulM.png

The Concept Art

These two images are very interesting to me, originally from the Initiates website. They are much akin to 'profile' shots which are used when creating a 3d model, as you have the front and back side of the individual to help create skeletons and skins. Take a look at Shao Jun below for example. Recognise the pose? Given that Galina has both a hooded and non-hooded look, it makes me wonder if this is in fact genuine concept art from a main game. Some have noted her similarity, clothing wise, to Desmond. Is that honestly coincidence, or in fact deliberate - as so many want a Desmond replacement? It could of course have been used to create her model purely for the cinematic cutscenes of Syndicate though.

http://i.imgur.com/86m9zk5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/f5gfHYO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OOXJdFP.jpg

The Expanded Universe

Within the newly released comic book series, we see Galina again in action. Once more out in the field, she assists in the recruitment of Charlotte de la Cruz, the lead character of the new story. At time of writing the series is still under publication, but it is interesting that Galina provides a direct link between the game and comic universes.

http://i.imgur.com/oXXJxFk.png

The Juno Saga

What is clear is that Juno has very much become the focus of the modern day plotline now. She is the threat to the world that must be stopped, especially if she eventually returns to a physical synthetic form with the triple helix Phoenix Project, which has been accelerated thanks to the discovery of the Shroud. From a storytelling perspective, we cannot very well take her on as a faceless, voiceless, tablet wielding Abstergo worker. We need a face, a voice, a skilled fighter and apparently a woman to stand up to Juno. If the Eve plotline is to have an end game this is it, and surely Galina is our number one choice for the modern day protagonist. It may not have happened in Syndicate, but I wager we have not yet seen the last of dear Galina.

http://i.imgur.com/fgnY4UP.png

(Images Credit to the AC Wiki (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed_Wiki), except for the Juno piece by DarthDestruktor at Deviantart (http://darthdestruktor.deviantart.com/art/Assassin-s-Creed-Enslaved-Again-386810379))

ERICATHERINE
06-13-2015, 04:24 PM
I would prefer to have a fully customizable initiates modern day protagoniste in the initiates HQ that would do missions like those Desmond have done. ^-^

MongoosE97
06-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Also, from a technical standpoint, think about the fact that Desmond in gameplay was basically a reskin of Altair/Ezio/Connor. With Syndicate we now have a female protagonist in Evie so that character model is already there just waiting to be filled with modern day goodness! :D

Altair1789
06-15-2015, 01:07 AM
Sadly Syndicate's already out of the picture :nonchalance: They said it'll have the same modern day as Unity. What I want to know is if they'll at least actually do something interesting with rifts (like give us an opportunity to explore a short story of another ancestor, maybe this can be a source of cliffhangers leading to other DLCs) or if they'll actually further the MD plot

Sorrosyss
06-17-2015, 01:19 AM
Sadly Syndicate's already out of the picture :nonchalance: They said it'll have the same modern day as Unity. What I want to know is if they'll at least actually do something interesting with rifts (like give us an opportunity to explore a short story of another ancestor, maybe this can be a source of cliffhangers leading to other DLCs) or if they'll actually further the MD plot

Well, I had read the same as you about it being the same as Unity. Then there was Darby's interview saying the modern day would be more robust. And now, at E3, they have confirmed that the modern day will have new characters and old favourites. (Interview here (https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=zSYjsddTJJY&t=3m29s)) In my mind this would totally fit with the Altair II crew. I'll remain optimistic until we know otherwise I guess. :D

Altair1789
06-17-2015, 03:28 AM
Well, I had read the same as you about it being the same as Unity. Then there was Darby's interview saying the modern day would be more robust. And now, at E3, they have confirmed that the modern day will have new characters and old favourites. (Interview here (https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=zSYjsddTJJY&t=3m29s)) In my mind this would totally fit with the Altair II crew. I'll remain optimistic until we know otherwise I guess. :D

Then there's hope :eek:I still only expect maybe an introduction to some of the characters, maybe we know we're playing as Galina, but since they said their stuff about how the MD will happen, they'll probably keep cutscene only MD and rifts. Maybe the rifts will be more interesting, because that concept has a lot of potential. Hopefully it's a step forward

VestigialLlama4
06-17-2015, 05:10 AM
The main problem with using Galina Voronina as a MD protagonist...she is too interesting. She distracts from the historical part and her own story has to matter. Desmond Miles was the perfect MD protagonist in that he was an Audience Surrogate and a totally normal guy.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2015, 04:05 PM
The main problem with using Galina Voronina as a MD protagonist...she is too interesting. She distracts from the historical part and her own story has to matter. Desmond Miles was the perfect MD protagonist in that he was an Audience Surrogate and a totally normal guy.

That's the thing though, why have MD if the main character has to be boring and the MD has to be relatively insignificant so it doesn't detract from the historical portion?

MD is only tenable when it's underwhelming, or practically non-existent. That's the harsh truth, the game is better of without it. Which is a fact I don't like but I have to accept it.

If they ever made MD the main attraction, which I and many others as extremely avid fans wouldn't mind, the game wouldn't sell. Ubi just can't do anything with MD, they're cornered up against a wall.

dxsxhxcx
06-17-2015, 04:23 PM
That's the thing though, why have MD if the main character has to be boring and the MD has to be relatively insignificant so it doesn't detract from the historical portion?

MD is only tenable when it's underwhelming, or practically non-existent. That's the harsh truth, the game is better of without it. Which is a fact I don't like but I have to accept it.

If they ever made MD the main attraction, which I and many others as extremely avid fans wouldn't mind, the game wouldn't sell. Ubi just can't do anything with MD, they're cornered up against a wall.

the main problem with the MD is that people expect it to provide the exact same experience they have in the historical portion of the game, the modern day is there to help the narrative and not to provide a revolutionary gameplay experience, it needs to be immersive and advance the story, if this means linear sequences and lack of freedom so be it, while people don't understand this, IMO we'll never have a satisfying modern day story

VestigialLlama4
06-17-2015, 04:55 PM

The MD was there so that Ubisoft can shift to any period back and forth. That was the function it had. They went overboard in giving it a Good-Vs.-Evil story in the present day. I like the MD in REVELATIONS, BLACK FLAG, BROTHERHOOD just fine. I liked Time Anomalies in UNITY too.

I think MD still has potential as a relief, general all purpose context and the like. I mean the idea is that the past still means something to us in the 21st Century, that's the broader theme of the entire series, so as long as they keep that then its fine. They need to alter and come up with new ways to make it work somehow. I think one way, is if they show different MD assassins and templars in each new game, to show how global it is and that different characters have different opinions about the events we see in the past.

ERICATHERINE
06-17-2015, 07:14 PM
I hope we will control an initiates. I think it's the only way for ubisoft to let us customize the modern day protagonist AND to give a cense to our initiates level. ^-^

harsab
06-17-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm not sure if this has been posted but on the live stream yesterday Marc Alexis Cote (the game director of ACS) pretty much confirmed the existence of MD.

Also something very interesting he says in the end which is ''it's back & it's exciting' so him saying ''it's back'' does that pretty much imply we will have a FUNCTIONAL MD? weather we play as a researcher (similar to BF) or a new 3rd person protagonist?

Hmmmmmmmm.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2O2FpTqDlQ

Edit: also just found another video where a dev says at 4.02 that ''theres also some first civ, deeper assassins creed lore that takes place in Syndicate''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mJh-n29hw

You don't understand how glad i am to hear that!!!!!!!

Sorrosyss
06-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Also, from a technical standpoint, think about the fact that Desmond in gameplay was basically a reskin of Altair/Ezio/Connor. With Syndicate we now have a female protagonist in Evie so that character model is already there just waiting to be filled with modern day goodness! :D

This is a very good point. Had not dawned on me. Thanks! I highly suspect that the modern day will also be in London, so they can re-use part of the architecture.

I'm not sure if this has been posted but on the live stream yesterday Marc Alexis Cote (the game director of ACS) pretty much confirmed the existence of MD.

Also something very interesting he says in the end which is ''it's back & it's exciting' so him saying ''it's back'' does that pretty much imply we will have a FUNCTIONAL MD? weather we play as a researcher (similar to BF) or a new 3rd person protagonist?

Hmmmmmmmm.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2O2FpTqDlQ

Edit: also just found another video where a dev says at 4.02 that ''theres also some first civ, deeper assassins creed lore that takes place in Syndicate''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mJh-n29hw

You don't understand how glad i am to hear that!!!!!!!

Thanks Harsab. This is very exciting stuff. Loomer's interview also all but confirms that there is a new modern day protagonist here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nh6Lbg9uoA&feature=youtu.be).

Eve - Evie - Galina. The same individual across three time periods. You can do this Ubi. :cool:

legendvinu
10-11-2015, 04:54 PM
I would prefer to have a fully customizable initiates modern day protagoniste in the initiates HQ that would do missions like those Desmond have done. ^-^

But think if they give You what You say then will it not be confusing in next game??

RobertMcSassin
10-11-2015, 05:34 PM
As a wise man was fond of exclaiming - How exciting!...

Looks good...I'm sold and excited for the MD stuff...Personally, I liked Desmond and very much enjoyed all the stuff we got to do with him...

So any return to stuff like ACII, Brotherhood and ACIII where we actually got to go do some stuff - yes, email reading included - would be excellent for me...

Senningiri_GR
10-11-2015, 07:28 PM
I remember this tread existed in Assassin's Creed Intitates Forums...Auh, good times... Anyway there is a theory that as Desmond's father, William Miles, had met Galina Voronian's Mother that she could pothentialy be a sister of Desmond. Also from Assassin's Creed Brotherhood it is stated to find EVE. So she could be her (I mean the DNA). A present day story with a bit of a map, like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood's Monteriggioni, but larger, in size of Masyaf or even Firenze, including extra missions. And this only the Present Day story of the game, and have the Animus-Hexil also as a major game part. For examlpe games time in % in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed 3 were 10% Present and 90% Past, while it could better be a 25% Present and 75% Past....

Sorrosyss
10-31-2015, 04:01 PM
Following the events of Syndicate, I have revised the original post to continue the speculations.

Hans684
10-31-2015, 04:09 PM
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Desmond_Miles%27_son

The son of Desmond Miles and an unknown woman (born c. 2005) is a Sage living in the New York area. On 4 October 2015, his mother brought him to an Abstergo clinic in New York, at which point Abstergo discovered he shared the patrilineal lineage of Desmond Miles. Isabelle Ardant planned to have Abstergo collect the boy at a later point for experimentation in the Animus.

Might not be playable but it's to big to ingnore, Desmond was the "chosen" one after all. Imagine his high amount of First Civ DNA mixed with someone else.

Sorrosyss
10-31-2015, 04:26 PM
Yep, this was interesting when it came up on the intel. But as you say, he can't really be playable for a good few years yet. Unless of course the timeline of the present day jumps forward. We were in 2012 in the early games, so I suppose it is possible.

I suppose it is quite interesting how Abstergo does not know who the woman is... how that is possible with all of their technology and data is quite a puzzle. (It was Eve! lol)

Hans684
10-31-2015, 04:33 PM
Yep, this was interesting when it came up on the intel. But as you say, he can't really be playable for a good few years yet. Unless of course the timeline of the present day jumps forward. We were in 2012 in the early games, so I suppose it is possible.

But it would kinda cheat with what we already have, MD is moving. To jump to 2025 or something without nothing changing is hard to belive.

I suppose it is quite interesting how Abstergo does not know who the woman is... how that is possible with all of their technology and data is quite a puzzle. (It was Eve! lol)

Maybe that woman was the one from the days he worked as a bartender, he talked to someone in Revelations. Don't remember what it was about but the chance is there.

RA503
10-31-2015, 04:33 PM
The database tells that Galina is mentally disabled, even the first time she appear in the plot looks like something is off about her,what you think about that ?

Hans684
10-31-2015, 04:35 PM
The database tells that Galina is mentally disabled, even the first time she appear in the plot looks like something is off about her,what you think about that ?

A wild card and interesting, like Daniel Cross.

Senningiri_GR
11-01-2015, 09:48 AM

She was in a broken animus test and suffered very hard bleeding effects....

Sorrosyss
11-06-2015, 12:09 PM
She was, but was also the only one to not go flat out deranged. She apparently still speaks with her deceased sister in private, but its obvious she took on a lot of former Assassin abilities as she has become very powerful now.

I do like her characterisation though. She seemed to take an awful lot of glee in blowing things up (or enjoying her work as Shaun termed it), so despite her training she still exerts a level of instability. I always loved the bleeding effect in the older games, especially when Desmond could see Ezio etc. I can't help but think it would make for an amazing playable modern day again, especially if she can see and be lead by the original Eve.

dxsxhxcx
11-06-2015, 01:34 PM
She was, but was also the only one to not go flat out deranged. She apparently still speaks with her deceased sister in private, but its obvious she took on a lot of former Assassin abilities as she has become very powerful now.

I do like her characterisation though. She seemed to take an awful lot of glee in blowing things up (or enjoying her work as Shaun termed it), so despite her training she still exerts a level of instability. I always loved the bleeding effect in the older games, especially when Desmond could see Ezio etc. I can't help but think it would make for an amazing playable modern day again, especially if she can see and be lead by the original Eve.

I watched all the Syndicate's MD cutscenes and IMO her characterisation was a little forced, she seemed to be too unstable for her own good, I also do love the Bleeding Effect and I thought it was a shame when Ubisoft made it magically disappear after Revelations (really didn't see the point in it since Desmond would die in AC3 anyway), I think Ubisoft should slow down a little and make the side effects of the BE more subtle to make it more believable, right now she looks like Goofy with a hidden blade, it's really hard (for me) to take her seriously (and even like her) this way.

cawatrooper9
11-06-2015, 03:17 PM
I like her in her supporting role now- she'd be a great mentor for a new playable Assassin in MD. I guess I just feel like she already has too much backstory to be the protagonist.

However, I did vote "yes" anyway, because I can't deny that it would be awesome to have any MD protagonist playable again, and we know that Galina would guarantee some AC3 level action.

That's kind of similar to Desmond in ACR, I guess. Not that I necessarily would want that storyline rehashed again, but maybe they could put a spin on it? What if the bleeding effect would cause Galina to snap and temporarily work for the Templars in a few games from now, giving us a new Templar game?

ERICATHERINE
11-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Can somebody tell me if in the last md video of syndicate, Otso Berg is killed by Galina or just ko? I watched the last md video and while it looks like he was dead Galina still seemed to want to finish him like if he wasn't. :confused:

Danny_rx7
11-07-2015, 04:10 PM
He's not dead.
Galina wanted to kill him with a brick, but she didn't. Take a look again, 8:28 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVC3ynQgO8Y&feature=youtu.be&t=508

Moultonborough
11-07-2015, 09:48 PM
I think it would be really cool to play as her in next years (or beyond) game. You have to remember however that the Initiates played as large of a role as they did in Syndicate because the writer for Syndicate is also the same person who wrote all the Initiates database entries. So it was quite easy for him to add Galina into the Modern Day Story. Whether that is continued with down the line is anyone's guess but it would be nice to see.

Sorrosyss
12-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Well we know from recent interviews that there was an escape sequence originally planned as a playable section in Syndicate. Of the characters we saw, Shaun, Rebecca, and Galina, it seems obvious to me whom we would have ended up playing as. I'd have loved to have played as her during the battle with Berg. I'm guessing the escape scene would have involved you fighting off the special ops teams, whilst Shaun carried out Rebecca.

UnknownGamer1994
12-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Well we know from recent interviews that there was an escape sequence originally planned as a playable section in Syndicate. Of the characters we saw, Shaun, Rebecca, and Galina, it seems obvious to me whom we would have ended up playing as. I'd have loved to have played as her during the battle with Berg. I'm guessing the escape scene would have involved you fighting off the special ops teams, whilst Shaun carried out Rebecca.

That's nice to hear, a little dissapointing that it wasn't in the final game though... Can you give a source for that interview?

whatr_those
12-19-2015, 10:22 PM
Oh man, I forgot to comment in this thread. Galina, Galina, Gaaaliiinaaa!

Her performance in Syndicate was spectacular, in my opinion, and I'm not just using superlatives; I mean it! She single-handedly wiped out Berg's Sigma team and could have finished off Berg himself, demonstrating in those few minutes a level of prowess higher than what most Assassins will ever achieve. And boy did I love her killing intent towards the end of the trio's escape; covered in blood from tearing Sigma team a new one, she showed no signs *at all* of mental stress from her actions. Cold-blooded, baby! I love 'er!

Adam (Desmond) died saving the world from natural destruction.
Eve (Galina) will save the world from Templar enslavement.

She's the perfect putty to fill the void Desmond left.

Civona
12-20-2015, 09:41 AM
I haven't played Syndicate so after reading the updates to the OP I just watched all of Syndicate's cutscenes. Guys... these are without a doubt the worst cutscenes in AC history.

like.. everything about the animation is so weird and stiff and the lip-syncing is almost non-existent and the dialogue seems super stilted and awkward and every environment sounds too quiet and weird and there's the song that starts playing over the last horrible fight scene and it's super embarassing.

This is a series known for (if nothing else) slickly-produced CG scenes of people fighting, so it was really surreal just how BAD this was.

UnknownGamer1994
12-20-2015, 11:02 PM

Source?

desmondlines
12-21-2015, 09:08 PM
Desmond Miles come back

Sorrosyss
12-21-2015, 09:34 PM
Source?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBIkGNJMkaU&feature=youtu.be&t=1286

MrHandsss
12-30-2015, 12:09 AM
I'll gladly take her. Give me ANY protagonist with a face and story to care about. I don't care if some didn't love Desmond, he was a million tims better than the floating ipads and infinitely better than what unity and syndicate have given us. Modern Day IS crucial to Assassins Creed since these games are about saving the world of NOW by using events (that we can't change) of the past. Desmond was constantly getting stronger, growing wiser, and becoming more of an Assassin with each game. By III, he was ready to go out on missions and bested some damn good templars.

But like Lucy, Desmond was wasted by Ubisoft just abruptly killing him off. I had HOPED we'd keep seeing his descendants like IV gave us and the employee that was in black flag or someone else would somehow merge with the DNA/cloud thing so that it couldn't just be some player at home. Now, we haven't had a proper protagonist in years and its boring. III would've let us explore with Shaun and Rebecca in Syndicate and it would've been cool.

without MD, there is no tension. without a playable protagonist who does things, it just feels boring. I don't want to be stuck playing as some random idiot playing a videogame or a floating tablet. I want to be someone who is actually doing something that matters. Blackflag was the exception, but this series went to **** after they killed Desmond.

KingL0c4l
12-30-2015, 07:40 AM
I can't believe I'm even typing this. But when is it going to be historically accurate to be someone of color. Like being slaves is the only time you can play a black character.

cawatrooper9
12-30-2015, 03:38 PM
I haven't played Syndicate so after reading the updates to the OP I just watched all of Syndicate's cutscenes. Guys... these are without a doubt the worst cutscenes in AC history.

like.. everything about the animation is so weird and stiff and the lip-syncing is almost non-existent and the dialogue seems super stilted and awkward and every environment sounds too quiet and weird and there's the song that starts playing over the last horrible fight scene and it's super embarassing.

This is a series known for (if nothing else) slickly-produced CG scenes of people fighting, so it was really surreal just how BAD this was.

There must've been something wrong with the system you were watching them on...
I mean, they weren't perfect, but I'd say they were nearly the best, actually. Seriously, go watch cutscenes from ACII and see if they're as good as you remember.

TDCAUGirl
08-30-2016, 05:20 AM
As much as I want somehow Desmond back, I'm also would love to see Galina as a main protagonist in the modern times. From what I've seen, she seems to be a strong and also charismatic female master assassin. I believe I don't need to mention her importance in the lore (you already did it amazingly in this thread). So... Bring it on!

Helforsite
08-31-2016, 11:18 AM
I actually would really love to play as Galina, because her story is so interesting. Personally, I desperately want another MD protagonist, but Desmond's son seem kind of boring and would necessitate a time jump, Charlotte seems too bubbly and the only other person as interesting as Galina is Clay, who comes with a whole other set of problems having to do with the fact he only exists in the grey.
What makes her interesting is obviously her advanced abilities as an Assassin with her wielding double blade and the possibility that she is really communicating with the sister she was forced to kill.