PDA

View Full Version : Yak 9K

Hortenbrothers
02-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Can anyone give me tips on how to aim and shoot that big ol cannon accuratly?

Hortenbrothers
02-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Can anyone give me tips on how to aim and shoot that big ol cannon accuratly?

Fennec_P
02-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Like most planes, the Yak-9K comes equipped with a gunsight. Since I figured out what it does, my accuracy has doubled!

But seriously, other than getting close, aiming carefully, and using single shots, theres no real trick to it. Practice makes perfect (or at least marginally adequate).

clint-ruin
02-18-2004, 08:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hortenbrothers:
Can anyone give me tips on how to aim and shoot that big ol cannon accuratly?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Set convergence to 100 or 150m and practice, practice, practice. Short convergence takes the 'arc' out of the round - it will come straight out of the barrel and start to drop off a little after the convergence range, but not by a lot. You will find - after you have taught your brain the trajectory of the rounds - that you will be able to take quite amazing long range shots against aircraft. But practice up close first.

You should try to avoid using the CTRL-F1 "wonder woman" view, since the sighting ring in this view is a simple ring that does not take your aircrafts motion into account. Only use this after you're confident that you understand the path your shots are going to take.

With the NS45 especially, it is always best to wait a split second longer to correct your aim than it is to take a bogus looking shot and hope for a hit.

Beware the alternating ammunition loadout for the NS45 [9K] and NS37 [9T] cannons. AP rounds from these cannons are great for killing ground objects, but very bad for anything other than pilot or engine kills against aircraft - make sure your line of fire intersects the pilot or engine when you take your AP shots [every 2nd round from memory]. They're often powerful enough to go straight through the rudder, fuselage, pilot armor, pilot, engine and come out through the spinner though. One of the few weapons in FB where a straight 6 o'clock shot is practically as good as any other for killing enemy aircraft.

Train yourself to understand the relationship between the trajectory of the UBS machine-gun and the NS45 cannon. Use the UBS for 'spotting' the target when you get down to your last few rounds of NS45 ammo to make them count.

Hope this helps, other people will probably let you know their favourite tactics, but this is what worked for me :&gt;

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

lbhskier37
02-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Go in from about 500m, you can put flaps down if you want, gives you more time to aim. Put the sight right on the tank, no need to lead. I usually pull one off at about 200m from the tank, just in time for a pull out. Make sure you aim for the turret.

http://lbhskier37.freeservers.com/pics/Killasig2.jpg (http://www.il2skins.com/?action=list&whereauthorid=lbhkilla&comefrom=display&ts=1049772896)
Official "uber190n00b"
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be." Adolf Galland

GAU-8
02-18-2004, 10:30 PM
lots of work
lots of patience

its the only fighter i fly. i love the challenge of putting that 1 perfect shot in.

i squeeze off each shot individually..but its sensitive...so an extra shot goes out once in a while with that 1/4 second pull.

dont spray an pray with it...youll end up makin a lot of noise.... and all your enemies will know your probably out .. once your gun goes quiet.

practice practice practice

Koan___
02-18-2004, 11:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clint-ruin:
You should try to avoid using the CTRL-F1 "wonder woman" view, since the sighting ring in this view is a simple ring that does not take your aircrafts motion into account.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"does not take your aircrafts motion into account"

Could you explain that?
Thank you.

clint-ruin
02-18-2004, 11:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Koan___:
"does not take your aircrafts motion into account"

Could you explain that?
Thank you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The wonder woman view is great for seeing what's in front of you, terrible for shooting what's in front of you, compared to the normal 'in cockpit' view.

The watermarked gunsight in WW view acts like a WW1 era pipper sight - it's just a mark drawn in space.

The in-cockpit view will give you a sight which has a) many more ranging notches to use as reference points, b) 'floats' in the gunsight glass and can be obscured by the interaction of your planes movement and your head movement. Whichever corner of the sight isn't appearing in the gunsight glass - that's pretty much the angle correction you need to make to get a good shot.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg