PDA

View Full Version : Why is this forum PG rated?

EmptyCrustacean
06-11-2015, 12:01 AM
As Ezio I had sexual relations with countless women, killed Templars and guards just trying to do their job left and right and worse, witnessed Native American women being referred to by white men as "forest fruit" etc. Why can't I swear? Why do I have to use terms like "sexual relations". It's really prudish.

If you're old enough to play Assassin's Creed you're old enough to use that sort of language.

bitebug2003
06-11-2015, 12:28 AM
That's actually a good question

I can't answer it though, as we go by the rules that are set out by the Ubisoft Terms of Service (which does allow minors above 12 years old), and the Community Forum rules which both enforce the member code of conduct

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-GB/terms-of-service.html

Hopefully one of the CM's can :)

Farlander1991
06-11-2015, 12:34 AM
I think this is because there's no actual way to block the content on these forums from being viewed by anyone ... okay, well, there is, but it's not user friendly, the forums would have to be hidden from everybody who's not registered, and then when you do register you'll need to show your age. So the forums are PG as is the rest of Ubi forums.

Locopells
06-11-2015, 10:10 AM
And as any kid can lie about their age, to get in, we have to keep the rating lower then that of the actual game...

Mr_Shade
06-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Indeed.

Forums are viewable to the public - so they are E rated.

Age gates - wouldn't work.

So, since we are all adults - or should be - we can talk without swearing, since most people no matter the age, can find it offensive.

We might not be able to control the age of players - for many reasons - we can however, ask that you remain within the rules, and not swear or post content that is not suitable ;)

Been that way for MANY years, so nothing new and most forums even those with age gates etc - have rules on swearing ;)

strigoi1958
06-11-2015, 12:06 PM
When my grandchildren are here they watch me on the PC and I turn off any violent games.... but if I come to the forum I expect a censorship to be in place just so they don't see something that I have no control over.... :(

Unfortunately, some people do try to bypass the filter and my grandson is at the age where he instantly reads and says anything written... his parents would not be happy if he went home with a "special" new word ;)

D.I.D.
06-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Arguably the forum is not PG-rated or "safe" for children to read. I don't think any child has any trouble figuring out what was said behind the asterisks. My newspaper doesn't censor words on its front page stories, either in paper form or digital. If a person is quoted as saying "****", the word will be there without censorship, and after decades of this society has not fallen apart. Obviously, I respect any site-owners' right to have a different policy, and I've reported posts myself when they try to dodge the established rules here.

As far as Ubisoft's sincerity goes with regard to age boundaries, it really bugged me in the E3 event for Revelations that they made a special announcement at the end - that anyone dressed in AC cosplay could come down the front right then to get a voucher for a free copy of Revelations on release - when many of the people coming down were hobbit-looking kids who appeared to be no older than 13, and without a doubt were not 18. This was completely dishonest, and it hurts the whole industry's image in the end when the manufacturers don't respect the rules that we need retailers to enforce.

Mr_Shade
06-11-2015, 04:00 PM
If a person is quoted as saying "****", the word will be there without censorship, .

The forum filter would filter the quote too... so I don't really get what you mean..

As far as Ubisoft's sincerity goes with regard to age boundaries, it really bugged me in the E3 event for Revelations that they made a special announcement at the end - that anyone dressed in AC cosplay could come down the front right then to get a voucher for a free copy of Revelations on release - when many of the people coming down were hobbit-looking kids who appeared to be no older than 13, and without a doubt were not 18. This was completely dishonest, and it hurts the whole industry's image in the end when the manufacturers don't respect the rules that we need retailers to enforce.

For gameplay demos - in closed areas - they use age checks for members of the public, due to content, same as at other events.

So, while they may look under age, they wouldn't be.

SixKeys
06-11-2015, 04:05 PM
It is a bit strange that it's apparently okay for children to read threads in which people discuss things like sex, war, decapitation, stabbing and shooting people etc. - as long as we don't use naughty words. :rolleyes:

Mr_Shade
06-11-2015, 05:26 PM
It is a bit strange that it's apparently okay for children to read threads in which people discuss things like sex, war, decapitation, stabbing and shooting people etc. - as long as we don't use naughty words. :rolleyes:
We control what we can - however we do remind people about content too - when we can ;)

marvelfannumber
06-11-2015, 05:36 PM
The thing I find most amusing about this personally is the fact that the games themselves (particularily AC2/ACB/AC4 for some reason) contain a good bit of swearing.

Now there isn't anything really stopping children from going out and buying these in most countries (well other than good parents, which have become quite rare).

The only real warning of foresight is the ESRB rating on the box art, which oh so conviniently is also on the forums.

I might add that I don't really have an issue with this rule at all, I just find it a bit amusing.

Mr_Shade
06-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Well unfortunately we can't control the purchasing of games - that's down to retailers and parents - however we can the forums, so we do.

EmptyCrustacean
06-12-2015, 08:16 AM

one time I used the word "bang" and my post got edited and replaced with "sexual relations". It was laughable. The topic itself was still an adult one but suddenly saying "bang" was super offensive. If anything, 'sexual relations' is more explicit as the word "bang" isn't exclusive to fornication.

Mr_Shade
06-12-2015, 10:33 AM
one time I used the word "bang" and my post got edited and replaced with "sexual relations". It was laughable. The topic itself was still an adult one but suddenly saying "bang" was super offensive. If anything, 'sexual relations' is more explicit as the word "bang" isn't exclusive to fornication.

If that's the case - might have been better for the moderator to have deleted your post completely and consider removing the topic.

EmptyCrustacean
06-12-2015, 11:51 AM
If that's the case - might have been better for the moderator to have deleted your post completely and consider removing the topic.

Yes, but then you would have to do that for almost every single post on the forum since the very nature of Assassin's Creed is explicit - murder, incest, racism, "sexual relations", forced fornication, violence through knives, guns, swords, POISIONS, fists. These topics are discussed daily. Whether we use colourful language to describe them doesn't make them any more adult.

Mr_Shade
06-12-2015, 12:04 PM
one time I used the word "bang" and my post got edited and replaced with "sexual relations". It was laughable.

It seems it wasn't that word at all - guess you have forgotten, however it's done now..

EmptyCrustacean
06-12-2015, 12:11 PM
It seems it wasn't that word at all - guess you have forgotten, however it's done now..

Um, it was 'banged' that I used when talking about Lucrezia and Cesare before the post was edited. That's the second time you've been untruthful about posts - although whereas with the first time you lied about what you wrote in your post you're now lying about what I wrote in mine which is unacceptable and quite worrying coming from a community manager.

bitebug2003
06-12-2015, 12:19 PM
No one is lying - you did NOT say 'banged'

You're original post still exists pre-edit which I have shown to the CM.

Mr_Shade
06-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Um, it was 'banged' that I used when talking about Lucrezia and Cesare before the post was edited. That's the second time you've been untruthful about posts - although whereas with the first time you lied about what you wrote in your post you're now lying about what I wrote in mine which is unacceptable and quite worrying coming from a community manager.

I'm not entering into a debate over this - it wasn't the word you stated.

End of discussion.

If you want me to send you proof - I will do in private.

And I'm seriously considering closing the thread now, since you again appear to have an agenda..

X_xWolverinEx_X
06-12-2015, 12:40 PM
http://s.quickmeme.com/img/80/80a4b69e88feec35eda539b7f41efd5043afa936f8946aa523 5442e64c54fe80.jpg

and
http://email-junk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/brought-some-pop-corn.jpg

bitebug2003
06-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Thread has run it's course.

Closed.