PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the beta?

Elle-One
06-09-2015, 10:01 PM
There are lots of feedback threads already here and in the Closed Beta forums, but they're generally all-purpose bug-report, feedback and opinion threads. This thread is meant to collect the players' impressions after one week of playing. Please post your own!

I'd always planned to post my impressions of the beta in the regular forums, so that people who didn't preorder the game or got one of the additional beta keys could read something about the game. After half the beta is done, I'm honestly kind of at a loss how to describe it.

It's ugly. The colors feel washed out, everything is tiny and fuzzy, even on the highest graphic settings. My eyes actually start to hurt if I play to long, because I strain them too much trying to make out the tiny things on the adventure map. There's not enough contrast, ressources and buildings just blend in with the background. Combined with the general size, this really hurts the game.

Going by the recently posted screenshots (https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/haven-video-some-screenshots), this might still get fixed. Those look way better than the beta. Okay, the first picture does capture the general tinyness. Imagine that filling your whole gigantic screen. And there's about as much contrast on the third picture as on the overworld adventure map, but seeing as that's a cave, it might be on purpose. It's still a lot better than the beta graphics, so either there's still hope for the graphics part or they found an intern who's really good at Photoshop.

Aside from the graphics, what about the gameplay? Well, it's mixed. Flanking adds some interesting new tactics to combat. If the AI would actually ever use it, the game might become challenging. Same goes for skills. They AI won't ever use anything that's not an automatic ability, like the Djinn upgrade's debuff on attack. Not that there are many skills to go around anyway. It makes the units very interchangeable.

The gameplay is slow. I don't know if it's because there's not enough movement points altogether, or because stepping even a tiny bit offroad will cause your horse to get stuck in mud and slow down. And don't get me started on mountains. It's like molasses in spring. With crutches. Since the skillpizza is here to stay, most hero classes can't get Exploration. Actually, even the hero with Exploration is currently stuck on a mountain. On the large map, I have so far uncovered an area that takes about a week to cross. It took over two months to clear out. My starting town is almost fully built by now. I also haven't even seen a trace of the other three players, and that's taking into account that because of some bug I can see a bunch of flags in the fog of war where armies and players sit around.

Right now I'm just really unimpressed. The game feels flat, as well as too easy - the AI doesn't do half of what it could and everything takes ages to do.

SimplyCool2010
06-11-2015, 08:23 AM
In one word - HORRIBLE.

Graphics are fine. Just switch of the awful AA and zoom in... (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1157748-Talking-about-improving-the-graphics)
No more grainy, no more tiny.
To its credits, game has quite a few visual improvements from the previous iteration. Hero and creature texture are much higher resolution and quality than VI, no over-saturated colors, no over-designed fantasy trees(more detailed, than the town), clings more to the look and feel of older entries. Obviously still needs polish and additional terrain details...., but its a good step.

THE BAD.... Very few features work properly. .. .. To name a few: Artifacts, AI (both AM and Combat), Skills, AM Stat Buildings, Spells, etc.... But forget that. The game is unstable, saves get corrupted, RAM get abused..... not to many crashes, while playing at least, but thats just me.

The Thing is just not playable, or capable of prolonged matches, yet people cry about its looks. NO developer would call this beta. I started hopeful, but after i'm very skeptical for a quality release. :(:(:(

Elle-One
06-11-2015, 09:21 AM
I guess most people assume that the crashes have a chance of getting fixed before release. Bad graphics are here to stay.

I mean, judging a game's quality by the beta is always a risky thing, because all those bugs might get fixed. Unless they won't because that costs money, in which case we have another Heroes VI on our hands.

Omegaprimal56
06-12-2015, 05:30 AM
So far I would have to say that I just spent a lot of time and effort trying to figure this game out. I have been out of the country for a few years and loved Might and Magic so I pre-ordered this issue. To my surprise there is not kind of manual to explain anything to a new type user anywhere I can find. So I have been working trial and error to get it to work. I hope that they cover this for the actual release.

Elle-One
06-12-2015, 07:52 AM
The release will have an ingame tutorial. There's also a gameplay video that shows new people how to play the game: https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/haven-video-some-screenshots