PDA

View Full Version : Long term appeal for 'The Battle of Britain'?

jamieandnici
01-09-2004, 03:35 PM
It's good to see that Oleg Maddox and co. are planning to release their excellent sim 'The Battle of Britain' in 2005. However, after reading the updates I have often found myself asking more and more questions about the games length. How will the length of the game affect the average flight simmer (especially single player vs AI in campaign mode)?
In other words, How will Oleg and Co turn a short but very crucial part of the aerial war into a game which will have long term appeal for everyone?
Okay, there is going to be a large number of flyable aircraft including bombers and fighters. There will even be the great graphics that we have come to know and love, and above all there will be a sense of realism that will make you think you are really taking part in one of the most important events of WW2, all of which are common in IL2 FB. However, What is going to happen when you get upto, lets say, December 1940?
The great thing about IL2 FB was that the sim covered the pilots eye account of the entire war in the east from Lvov 1941 to the fall of Berlin 1945. Will 'The Battle Of Britain' carry on with the struggle for aerial supremacy between the RAF and Luftwaffe from 1940 to 1945? Or, will the game simply stop dead in its tracks by December 1940 with a cliche sentence like 'Congratulations, you have survived this part of the war, well done, have a cigar!' which will mark the end of the game?
Although the daylight aerial battles slowly phased themselves out by October/November 1940 the nightime Blitz raids over London and other key British cities continued. However, other events started occuring from the early summer of 1941 onwards. For instance, RAF airfields were once again attacked by low level flying FW-190's that began to show up in greater numbers. These attacks culminated in more and more frequent engagements between Spitfires and FW-190 over S.E England and N.France. Will this phase be included in 'The Battle Of Britain' sim aswell, as Oleg and Co. maybe able to use these maps to complete this part of the war?
Please let me know your thoughts and opinions.
Regards Jamie AKA ThE BaRoN.

[This message was edited by jamieandnici on Fri January 09 2004 at 02:48 PM.]

jamieandnici
01-09-2004, 03:35 PM
It's good to see that Oleg Maddox and co. are planning to release their excellent sim 'The Battle of Britain' in 2005. However, after reading the updates I have often found myself asking more and more questions about the games length. How will the length of the game affect the average flight simmer (especially single player vs AI in campaign mode)?
In other words, How will Oleg and Co turn a short but very crucial part of the aerial war into a game which will have long term appeal for everyone?
Okay, there is going to be a large number of flyable aircraft including bombers and fighters. There will even be the great graphics that we have come to know and love, and above all there will be a sense of realism that will make you think you are really taking part in one of the most important events of WW2, all of which are common in IL2 FB. However, What is going to happen when you get upto, lets say, December 1940?
The great thing about IL2 FB was that the sim covered the pilots eye account of the entire war in the east from Lvov 1941 to the fall of Berlin 1945. Will 'The Battle Of Britain' carry on with the struggle for aerial supremacy between the RAF and Luftwaffe from 1940 to 1945? Or, will the game simply stop dead in its tracks by December 1940 with a cliche sentence like 'Congratulations, you have survived this part of the war, well done, have a cigar!' which will mark the end of the game?
Although the daylight aerial battles slowly phased themselves out by October/November 1940 the nightime Blitz raids over London and other key British cities continued. However, other events started occuring from the early summer of 1941 onwards. For instance, RAF airfields were once again attacked by low level flying FW-190's that began to show up in greater numbers. These attacks culminated in more and more frequent engagements between Spitfires and FW-190 over S.E England and N.France. Will this phase be included in 'The Battle Of Britain' sim aswell, as Oleg and Co. maybe able to use these maps to complete this part of the war?
Please let me know your thoughts and opinions.
Regards Jamie AKA ThE BaRoN.

[This message was edited by jamieandnici on Fri January 09 2004 at 02:48 PM.]

jazman777
01-09-2004, 04:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamieandnici:
In other words, How will Oleg and Co turn a short but very crucial part of the aerial war into a game which will have long term appeal for everyone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good question. It's easy to imagine add-ons (that means a revenue stream, too), because if the BoB engine works, then you can fight monster bomber battles. Given the work done on FB, it would seem easy to extend BoB to BoG (Battle over Germany). If it had a Dora and a Ta-152, I know one person that would certainly buy that.

---
Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - H. L. Mencken

Dash_C.
01-09-2004, 04:55 PM
It would certainly be nice to see the progression of the air war in the upcoming sim, but I don't think it is feasable. Far fewer flyable aicraft types will be modeled in BoB than in FB probably because of the ambitious level of realism and detail put into each plane. Demand for greater complexity in modeling of flyable planes limits the amount that can be created. BoB appears to be leaning toward the quality side rather than the quantity side. The fewer number of aircraft types dictates a simulation of a smaller combat theatre over a shorter period of time, hence the selection of the BoB setting. All of this is speculation of course, but this doesn't neccesarily rule out any expansions of the sim...which would be great!

Capt.LoneRanger
01-09-2004, 04:57 PM
I doubt this will be a problem.
In FB you had some pauses between the missions, then there were days and weeks between the flights, etc. You cannot win a campaign with 30 missions / year. Now, think of the vastly more intense fighting over the canal.
It is all a question of scale. We'll have a limited time and location, but from the early updates, this is gonna be one hell of a simulation. I'm definately looking forward to it.

greets
Capt.LoneRanger

http://www.cptloneranger.privat.t-online.de/SIG2.jpg

crazyivan1970
01-09-2004, 04:59 PM
I have a feeling that BOB is a sim where B-17 will become flyable http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Maddox will not stop on 1940 plane set. At least that`s the idea i got http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

V!
Regards,

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

arcadeace
01-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Its a well stated question. I think 1940 will be the beginning and centerpiece. It wouldn't surprise me to see it gradually extend throughout the duration the war, with Ubi add-ons and after-market work.

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/ah_222_1073167449.jpg

Freycinet
01-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Obviously Maddox has chosen the BoB because it is the first big bang (air-warfare-wise) of WWII. A succession of sims will follow chronologically, "be sure".

(If sales are good, of course... - Let's make them good!!)

jamieandnici
01-09-2004, 06:06 PM
-----------------------------------------------
I have a feeling that BOB is a sim where B-17 will become flyable

Maddox will not stop on 1940 plane set. At least that`s the idea i got
-----------------------------------------------

Crazyivan1970

Christ, how the hell do you program a plane to have atleast 10 online player positions on one plane!!! I cant even begin to contemplate that and I havent even thought of the enormous programming involved to get that sort of thing up and running!!
Thanx for the replies by the way chaps, its appreciated!!

Chivas
01-09-2004, 06:46 PM
BOB is the logical start for a series of WW2 sims using the BOB engine. This has been stated or hinted at from the beginning. The Med and Pacific whiners will get their sim if BOB sells well. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SodBuster43
01-09-2004, 07:17 PM
I smell addons on the horizon for this sim. New game engine http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Udidtoo
01-09-2004, 07:28 PM
As the tech progresses and what today is just wishful thinking becomes tommorows reality I can only hope that in the coming years addons this is relized.

A B-17 or any of the big bombers completly crewed by all live buddies.

How cool would it be to go in a server and know that 8 10 or 12 guns blazing away from that Fortress or Wellington is a live body and not just one dude jumping from pilot to gunner and back

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.

NegativeGee
01-09-2004, 08:15 PM
The BoB seems a sensible place to start the next generation of WW2 IC sims.

Everyone knows about the BoB.... it is one of the great air battles of history, so a very suitable subject for a flight sim.

Bearing this in mind, and IC's reputaion, you have a product with great sales potential. Early financial success is going to be vital if the BoB is going to be beginning of a new series of WW2 combat flight sims (which being a "the glass is half full" kinda guy thats what I'm hoping).

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

http://www.invoman.com/images/tali_with_hands.jpg

Look Noobie, we already told you, we don't have the Patch!

Old_Canuck
01-10-2004, 12:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SodBuster43:
I smell addons on the horizon for this sim. New game engine http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's already talk at Netwings about new polygon limits and specs. for BoB addons but nothing specific yet.

OC

"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."

Recon_609IAP
01-10-2004, 12:26 AM
you guys need to stop, I start drooling when I hear these conversations about BoB... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S!
609IAP_Recon

http://www.leeboats.com/609/sig/609_recon3.jpg
Agnus Dei, Qui Tollis peccata mundi, Miserere nobis. Dona nobis pacem

LeadSpitter_
01-10-2004, 12:37 AM
I dont really care for another BOB stand alone sim, but i will like to see what they do if its going to have advanced flight dynamics and weather. What Im waiting for is the med addon for the new bob engine now that will be something interesting and hopefully the pacific

http://www.geocities.com/leadspittersig/LSIG.txt
VIEW MY PAINTSCHEMES HERE (http://www.il2skins.com/?planeidfilter=all&planefamilyfilter=all&screenshotfilter=allskins&countryidfilter=all&authoridfilter=%3ALeadspitter%3A&historicalidfilter=all&Submit=+++Apply+filters++&action=list&ts=1072257400)

jamieandnici
01-10-2004, 04:51 AM
posted 09-01-04 23:37
I dont really care for another BOB stand alone sim, but i will like to see what they do if its going to have advanced flight dynamics and weather. What Im waiting for is the med addon for the new bob engine now that will be something interesting and hopefully the pacific
leadspitter
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I take it your not that interested in BoB then?
What do you think is going to be so great about the med addon compared to the real BoB?
The med saw its fair share of combat but didn't have the mass of fighters and bombers screaming through the sky and dogfighting to the death ala BoB.
Persoanlly, and coming from England it fills me with great pride to know that our handful of pilots (not forgetting the Poles, Canadians, Australians, and Czechs etc God bless em!!) all took on single handedly (withourt any help from the Yanks- no offence chaps!!) the mighty German war machine and beat them when they were at their most strongest. Ok, those German pilots were commanded by an overweight, fat, ugly bastard by the name of Herrman Goering who couldn't make a model of a toy aeroplane let alone command a whole airforce of them but thats war and a lot of crucial mistakes are made in wars.

Xnomad
01-10-2004, 05:43 AM
I was under the impression (and I don't know why) that the game would include the BoB timescale as a centre piece but that it would have planes from later years as well. So does this mean we will only have the BF 109 Emil and Bf 110 as the fighters for the LW and early Spitfires and Hurricanes (ones without negative G proof fuel injection)for the RAF? I'm going to miss my Gustav and Fw 190 if that is the case. But nevertheless I'm looking forward to it.

jamieandnici
01-10-2004, 05:55 AM
As discussed earlier Xnomad, I expect from the sounds of things that you will have a large number of addon packs to install into the original BoB game. The game may only come with certain aircraft types, but don't worry if your plane isn't listed in the first version of the game as and i'm fairly sure that there will be lots and lots of official and third party addons to create all sorts of scenarios.

VW-IceFire
01-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Yeah I think its just the Emil and the Bf 110 for the Luftwaffe. But I expect there to be a couple of different versions available. Same goes for Spitfires I'd imagine and obviously Hurricanes. It'd be nice if they did Battle of France/The Phoney War as part of the package as well.

- IceFire
http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/spit-sig.jpg