PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft markings in BoB...

Sturmvogel66
01-12-2004, 02:02 PM
I mentioned this before when the 1.2 patch was still in the works, hopeful for it to make an appearance there. Now that I know it won't, I think this idea should be implemented in BoB. In a squadron, each pilot has his own plane (most of the time, unless two pilots share one, we will assume each has his own). The current markings system in IL-2FB has it so that your number or letter just depends on what position you are in the current flight/mission. That is obviously not how it was in real life. Each pilot's plane had a unique marking on it. This marking could depend on many things, but I think to make it simple, it will depend on merit and position in the overall squadron. For example: The squad CO would have the number 1, the letter A, or the chevrons of the German Luftwaffe. The next letter/number would go to the pilot in the squadron with the next lowest rank and number of missions to his credit, and so on. So, it would go like this:

< squad CO, rank #1 most missions flown
2 pilot, rank #2 100 missions flown
3 pilot, rank #2 91 missions flown
4 pilot, rank #3 75 missions flown (11 kills)
5 pilot, rank #3 75 missions flown (7 kills)
6 pilot, rank #3 61 missions flown
7 pilot, rank #4 52 missions flown
8 pilot, rank #4 39 missions flown
9 pilot, rank #5 30 missions flown
10 pilot, rank #5 19 missions flown

So, the numbering system depends on seniority and experience, not necessarily kills. Although if there are two pilots with the same rank and the same amount of experience, then the number can be decided by the number of kills. I think this would be much more realistic than getting a new different number every mission. Another simpler way to go would be to have a random number/letter assigned to each plane in the squadron, with exception of the squad CO, who would always have 1/A/<. This way, each pilot could keep this particular number/letter throughout his campaign, this would be very realistic as well.

Sturmvogel66
01-12-2004, 02:02 PM
I mentioned this before when the 1.2 patch was still in the works, hopeful for it to make an appearance there. Now that I know it won't, I think this idea should be implemented in BoB. In a squadron, each pilot has his own plane (most of the time, unless two pilots share one, we will assume each has his own). The current markings system in IL-2FB has it so that your number or letter just depends on what position you are in the current flight/mission. That is obviously not how it was in real life. Each pilot's plane had a unique marking on it. This marking could depend on many things, but I think to make it simple, it will depend on merit and position in the overall squadron. For example: The squad CO would have the number 1, the letter A, or the chevrons of the German Luftwaffe. The next letter/number would go to the pilot in the squadron with the next lowest rank and number of missions to his credit, and so on. So, it would go like this:

< squad CO, rank #1 most missions flown
2 pilot, rank #2 100 missions flown
3 pilot, rank #2 91 missions flown
4 pilot, rank #3 75 missions flown (11 kills)
5 pilot, rank #3 75 missions flown (7 kills)
6 pilot, rank #3 61 missions flown
7 pilot, rank #4 52 missions flown
8 pilot, rank #4 39 missions flown
9 pilot, rank #5 30 missions flown
10 pilot, rank #5 19 missions flown

So, the numbering system depends on seniority and experience, not necessarily kills. Although if there are two pilots with the same rank and the same amount of experience, then the number can be decided by the number of kills. I think this would be much more realistic than getting a new different number every mission. Another simpler way to go would be to have a random number/letter assigned to each plane in the squadron, with exception of the squad CO, who would always have 1/A/<. This way, each pilot could keep this particular number/letter throughout his campaign, this would be very realistic as well.

Sturmvogel66
01-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Up, for all to see.

Sturmvogel66
01-13-2004, 09:21 PM
I am curious why nobody feels as strongly about this as I do, I guess not that many people play offline. I just thought more people would have a say about this.

MiloMorai
01-13-2004, 11:26 PM
So when say pilot D is shot down and KIA or MIA who takes his a/c. Does that mean all pilots below D will get new a/c lettres? In 5 missions a pilot could jump 4 or 5 a/c. What happens if a new but more experienced pilot joins the squadron? Do all pilots below him get new a/c lettres?

With all that shuffling going on it would be hard to tell which pilot was flying which EA.

-HH-Dubbo
01-14-2004, 02:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MiloMorai:
So when say pilot _D_ is shot down and KIA or MIA who takes his a/c. Does that mean all pilots below _D_ will get new a/c lettres? In 5 missions a pilot could jump 4 or 5 a/c. What happens if a new but more experienced pilot joins the squadron? Do all pilots below him get new a/c lettres?

With all that shuffling going on it would be hard to tell which pilot was flying which EA.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point

It only funny 'til someone loses an eye.........

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/nightschpanker/F1000016.JPG

Sturmvogel66
01-14-2004, 08:19 PM
That is a good point, but with the system we have now, its even more confusing. Then I say we will have to go with the second idea I had. Each pilot is assigned a number (plane that isn't in use) and they keep that number which has nothing to do with their rank. Then if another pilot gets killed, their number goes away for the time being until a new aircraft is given to the squad, then that number might show up again. But the pilot of say D plane gets shot down, and his plane is totalled, then he might get a new plane with a different number/ letter. This idea sounds better. More realistic.