PDA

View Full Version : evolution of online servers

brimigus
06-18-2004, 09:40 PM
I've noticed a dramatic change of the online settings in the most popular online servers,being that thet all changed to cockpit only with icon distance and identifcation of freind or foe.Am I the only one that likes externals enabled,I know that it can be said that maybe if i was a better player i could cope with the harder settings and maybe thats true in fact it is true,I certainly dont like to tute my own horn and claim to be any thing but an averge player.but it's more than that for me, with out the externals the game seems to lack the big hollywood action element you can exsperience by just hitting the flyby button turning an other wise boring escape effort in to a exciting avation action seqence of aircraft racing by at full throttle with guns blazing or the immersion of the airfield at take off or the expolsion of flak at altitude or diving with external padlock on and hitting a bomber at full deflection while still padlocked.For me it's just visually better and more immersive.for any one looking for good servers with those settings i recommend Brittain 1940 server on hyperlobby and crappy desert server on ubi both of which use historic aircraft not any uber plane both sides and both have a pretty good pool of talent that likes to show up and hand you your hat.

brimigus
06-18-2004, 09:40 PM
I've noticed a dramatic change of the online settings in the most popular online servers,being that thet all changed to cockpit only with icon distance and identifcation of freind or foe.Am I the only one that likes externals enabled,I know that it can be said that maybe if i was a better player i could cope with the harder settings and maybe thats true in fact it is true,I certainly dont like to tute my own horn and claim to be any thing but an averge player.but it's more than that for me, with out the externals the game seems to lack the big hollywood action element you can exsperience by just hitting the flyby button turning an other wise boring escape effort in to a exciting avation action seqence of aircraft racing by at full throttle with guns blazing or the immersion of the airfield at take off or the expolsion of flak at altitude or diving with external padlock on and hitting a bomber at full deflection while still padlocked.For me it's just visually better and more immersive.for any one looking for good servers with those settings i recommend Brittain 1940 server on hyperlobby and crappy desert server on ubi both of which use historic aircraft not any uber plane both sides and both have a pretty good pool of talent that likes to show up and hand you your hat.

LStarosta
06-18-2004, 09:57 PM
I know exactly what you mean. The hardcore simmer guys will tell you immediately to shut your trap, because a REAL WWII pilot didn't have external views. Then there's a lot of things REAL WWII pilots did have that we don't. So I personally am not one to give two seconds' thought to arguments like that. But especially if it's a loooonnnnggggg coop mission, I appreciate it if you can sometimes take a look outside your aircraft or do a fun flyby every now and then. One thing I can see why people wouldn't want externals in Cockpit Only servers is because using externals to track enemy aircraft immediately rids your aircraft of its particular cockpit visibility characteristics, which somewhat detracts from the realism. In combat I never use externals, simply because A) I'd be cheating myself and B) You gotta be on your toes at all times, switching views keeps you from fully focusing on the situation at hand.

Oh well, I'd still have to choose choice over realism in this case. I understand you when you say that turning externals off somewhat detracts from the enjoyment of this excellent flight simulator.

WUAF_Badsight
06-18-2004, 11:00 PM
W T H are you talking about

its cockpit off world at UBI & plenty of the same at HL

__________________________________________________ __________________________
actual UBI post :
"If their is a good server with wonder woman views but historic planesets...let me know!"
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif