PDA

View Full Version : Rudder...how should I be using it?

lucas_valentine
03-11-2004, 01:40 PM
I very rarely seem to use the rudder when flying...In fact I'm not sure what its actually for...Sometimes I use it when aiming at a target and for manuvering on the ground....but apart from that I don't really use it. Maybe this is the reason I'm not all that good a pilot. I wonder if someone out there could tell me how and when I should be using the rudder so that I might be able to improve my technique. Someone once told me that I should be using the rudder on every turn, but this doesn't seem to make all that much difference. Someone please help!!

lucas_valentine
03-11-2004, 01:40 PM
I very rarely seem to use the rudder when flying...In fact I'm not sure what its actually for...Sometimes I use it when aiming at a target and for manuvering on the ground....but apart from that I don't really use it. Maybe this is the reason I'm not all that good a pilot. I wonder if someone out there could tell me how and when I should be using the rudder so that I might be able to improve my technique. Someone once told me that I should be using the rudder on every turn, but this doesn't seem to make all that much difference. Someone please help!!

Bull_Pup
03-11-2004, 01:59 PM
its used to coordinate turns.

it allows you to gain/maintain/loose altitude while banking in a turn. you can notice its affects if you look at the attitude indicator while maintaining a steady banking turn.

it is used on crosswind approach's to stay on your flight path.

it is used to counteract engine torque, particularly during takeoff.

it is used to adjust yaw during gunnery.

more detail on the rudder and other flight controls here,

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_001a.html

Indianer.
03-11-2004, 02:01 PM
You can barrel role by using the rudder in the opposite direction to the roll helping u slow down when ur being shot at. Use full flaps with this manouver and a less experienced pilot will probably fly past, then retract flaps, full throttle and ur on his 6. Also it helps u dive to one side quickly when uve got an enemy on ur 6 when uesd in conjunction with ur ailerons.

"Wer auf die preussische Fahne schwort, hat nichts mehr, was ihm selber gehort"

Taylortony
03-11-2004, 02:09 PM
The rudder is used to correct YAW this is where it tries to twist on a horizontal plane, you use the rudder to correct the torque effect on take off and power changes also to correct for drift if you have a wind coming at you from say 2 oclock you put in a bit of rudder to fly into it if that makes sence so imagine the plane is flying at 12 oclock heading the wind would be pushing it in a direction of 11 o clock so you use the rudder to steer the plane into the wind at say 12.30 and the drift pushes it to 12.00 pm.... you also use it in a turn to increase the turn rate... this is due to the secondary effect of yaw being roll. usefull guide to what they all do is here http://www.iwm.org.uk/education/edu-dux/pdf-files/scouts/FlyingControls.pdf

AnalFissure
03-11-2004, 02:13 PM
In FB adverse yaw is something you pretty much never have to worry about. In real life, I know you're supposed to counter this affect by using rudder when turning -- ie. coordinated flight.

Anyway, lucas, to answer your question. Rudder control is not only useful -- probably even essential -- for gunnery and ground handling, it comes in handy for all types of evation. Try to read up on slips and skids and any kind of uncoordinated maneuvers.

Also, another absolutely critical aspect of flying in the sim that you need rudder control for is low speed handling. If you're riding on the edge of a stall you need rudder to keep you balanced.

lucas_valentine
03-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Cheers guys,

Looks like a knew how to use it all along...I was pretty much doing all those things...I thought there might be a secret i was missing!

wickedpenguin
03-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Second the motion on the slow speed flight. If you are flying at low speeds - landing or taking off in particular - the rudder is integral, particularly if you are in a crosswind situation.

It especially comes in handy for power-on stalls - a stall where you are in a nose-high attitude with max power. (For instance, an aborted take-off or an evasive maneuver to get over an obstacle). As the airspeed drops and the ailerons get mushy, the rudder is integral in maintaining directional control and keeping your aircraft from going into a deadly spin.

Having taken my first flying lesson recently, I will tell you that the power-on stall is quite terrifying. You will be quite nearly standing on the rudder pedals as the airpseed drops.

fulanito_chile
03-11-2004, 03:16 PM
ok, i use a small amount of rudder when flying any where near a combat zone.. for this reason if you apply a bit of rudder the plane seems from above below etc..(enamies eye view) to be flying in slightly a diffrent direction to the one in which you are actually flying, i still have'nt seen that it fools A.I yet maybe some one could tell me if this out smarts F/B A.I ??

"The Chilean Airforce" (FACH) The 4th oldest in the World...

CRSutton
03-11-2004, 03:25 PM
One of the most basic evasive maneuvers when an enemy is shooting at you is the skid. Which is simply using rudder to point the plane sideway and literally skid a bit to the left or right to throw off aim.

willyvic
03-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Rudder...how should I be using it?

With your feet of course! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.geocities.com/mompeepers/willyvic/mig3u.jpg