PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between PC DVD ROM and PC download in ubishop?

keypoet
05-29-2015, 02:20 AM
There are two versions of PC for Assassin's Creed Syndicate, does PC DVD ROM needs inserting DVD to play every time? And does PC DVD also include a code that I can activate on UPlay and download it instead of installing from DVD?

Locopells
05-29-2015, 09:59 AM
The DVD ROM is only required for installation, you won't need it again after that. However, when you enter the key that come with it, into Uplay, you can then download it instead, if you wish, yes.

The only real difference, is that the DVD ROM guarantees you a hard copy of the game forever, and generally takes less time to install.

antagonist99
11-19-2015, 02:08 PM
The DVD ROM is only required for installation, you won't need it again after that. However, when you enter the key that come with it, into Uplay, you can then download it instead, if you wish, yes.

The only real difference, is that the DVD ROM guarantees you a hard copy of the game forever, and generally takes less time to install.

This is incorrect. I've installed from DVD and the game refuses to launch without one present in my drive.

Mr_Shade
11-19-2015, 02:12 PM
This is incorrect. I've installed from DVD and the game refuses to launch without one present in my drive.

If you are online with Uplay - and signed into the account used to activate the game, it shouldn't require the disc in the drive?

antagonist99
11-19-2015, 02:25 PM
If you are online with Uplay - and signed into the account used to activate the game, it shouldn't require the disc in the drive?

And yet it does.

SolidNSnake1985
11-19-2015, 02:41 PM

that is weird, all my Assassin's Creed Games including Unity all installed from DVD, and never again installed them again ..

even when i'm not connected to the internet i can still play offline with Uplay

antagonist99
11-19-2015, 02:56 PM
that is weird, all my Assassin's Creed Games including Unity all installed from DVD, and never again installed them again ..

even when i'm not connected to the internet i can still play offline with Uplay

Does that include Syndicate? Or haven't you tried it yet?

Also, true to the series' track record, I'm getting some amazing graphical artifacts and missing LODs. One would think learning from one's mistakes would include not making them again, but I digress.

GhostAssassinLT
11-19-2015, 03:32 PM
Graphical artifacts and LODs is due to a bad video card driver and has nothing to do with the game.
If the game was the problem then everyone would have them.

antagonist99
11-19-2015, 03:38 PM
I guess updating mine yesterday was a waste of time with a new one released today, then.

I'll update and check then if it fixes my issues.

EDIT: And of course I'm still getting these artifacts. Who would've thought...

YazX_
11-19-2015, 04:06 PM
I guess updating mine yesterday was a waste of time with a new one released today, then.

I'll update and check then if it fixes my issues.

EDIT: And of course I'm still getting these artifacts. Who would've thought...

its a driver issue, if you are using Nvidia card, then here is a workaround for now until Nvidia fixes it:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1331161-AC-Syndicate-Graphical-Glitches-Missing-Textures-and-Artifacts-Workaround

antagonist99
11-19-2015, 06:05 PM
its a driver issue, if you are using Nvidia card, then here is a workaround for now until Nvidia fixes it:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1331161-AC-Syndicate-Graphical-Glitches-Missing-Textures-and-Artifacts-Workaround

Doesn't fix it for me.

EDIT: Also seems to be an issue with Radeon cards, so I'd say it's a bug in the game's code. Your move, Ubisoft.

dnameless1
11-19-2015, 10:14 PM

Having to insert a disc is also not what I would expect, but I get a prompt too. I have the "big ben edition" and installed from (5) DVDs. The prompt is "ACS.exe - No Disk" at the top, with "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive E " (drive letter will probably vary).

However, I get 3 options; 1: "Cancel" 2: "Try Again" and 3: "Continue". In my case, pressing "Continue" just launches the game without having to insert any disc.

Cosmetic issue, unless there are people without option 3?

edit: I get that prompt launching the game from the uPlay client, to be precise.

antagonist99
11-19-2015, 11:53 PM
Having to insert a disc is also not what I would expect, but I get a prompt too. I have the "big ben edition" and installed from (5) DVDs. The prompt is "ACS.exe - No Disk" at the top, with "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive E " (drive letter will probably vary).

However, I get 3 options; 1: "Cancel" 2: "Try Again" and 3: "Continue". In my case, pressing "Continue" just launches the game without having to insert any disc.

Cosmetic issue, unless there are people without option 3?

edit: I get that prompt launching the game from the uPlay client, to be precise.

Just tried that. Funnily enough I get the "No Disk" message twice in a row, clicking 'Continue' twice also makes the game lauch for me. I'd only tried clicking once, assuming the message would just pop up again and again...

@Mods, any word whether the disk check will be removed when in online mode?

UbiSmarmy
11-20-2015, 12:25 AM
If you're playing through the Uplay Game Launcher and it keeps telling you to insert the disk to play please contact Ubisoft Support (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/index) as you shouldn't have to insert the game disk to play the game after installing.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Alukes14
11-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Hi.i would buy a PC download version of Assassin's Creed Syndicate. will they give me steel case for DVD ?? becouse it is not necessary but i want to have this steel case.

ialeixo
02-24-2016, 12:41 AM
So, this no disk message is showing up for me too....If I hit Cancel or Continue the game launches, but still, it is annoying as hell that every time I launch the game this message shows up.....anyone found a permanent fix?

VoldR
02-24-2016, 02:39 PM
From personal experience:

1. Playing without DVD?
Yes, it can, at least for me...
AC 2, Brotherhood, AC 3, Unity & Syndicate (all bought at store DVD)

they all worked without DVDs, online & offline with UPlay

2. Installation
main reason I still buy DVD is the installation time...
patching is faster then full download of the game...

3. Price
Buying on steam or Uplay is counted by foreign currency,
good in plain numbers bad in exchange rates...

4. offers... (mostly steam exp.. nvr bought from Uplay itself, lol)
This may be my imagination due to a possible misunderstanding, but...

but I recall that the online gold editions
lacks some additional story missions... not sure if that's true, lol
can someone confirm that?

For about the same price after conversion, might as well buy the bigger editions in stores for season pass included...

Since i didn't bother buying it (busy with Unity) until Christmas, got the Charing Cross edition for standard price. :o

5. Just like an online?
after activating the game, can be downloaded like an online version of the full game?
Haven't tested it yet, just an assumption, since i recall seeing the install button on my DVD games on my uplay acount...
without putting the dvd in.

6. Saves space
Rather than having a backup stored somewhere in a harddisk...
:)

Jessigirl2013
02-26-2016, 11:15 PM
That's odd.
Never had an issue either online or offline.:rolleyes: